Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy vomiting during night after worming...normal or not??

• 28-01-2011 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

brought my 5month old puppy to the vet during week for her last set of shots and he told me to worm her, so i got some tablets from the pet store. it says on the pack for puppies under 6 months give them 1/2 tablet for each 5kg of weight for 3 consecutive days. shes about 8kg but i still only gave her 1/2 tablet on wednesday evening and again yesterday evening. she vomited 3 or 4 times during the night and this morning would not touch her food or drink any water. she came out for a walk no bother and did her business as usual. Im guessing its the tablets that are making her sick. is this normal? my dad told me to watch out for her number 2's if she has worms they will pass out and to get rid of her number 2's but do they vomit them up aswell??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Which tablets did you use? I would only ever buy my wormers at the vets.

Pups usually only vomit worms if they have a heavy burden. After worming they all come out the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I wouldnt buy those wormers at the pet shops, only ever from the vets themselves. Ive heard of so many dogs being sick from those supermarket/pet shops ones so its best to get them from you vet.

I havent heard of wormers to be given over 3 days with dogs, its only ever a one off dose so maybe check with your vet. Just sounds like a lot of wormer to give a young dog and it might have upset her tummy.

What brand were they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

fifib wrote: »
    brought my 5month old puppy to the vet during week for her last set of shots and he told me to worm her, so i got some tablets from the pet store. it says on the pack for puppies under 6 months give them 1/2 tablet for each 5kg of weight for 3 consecutive days. shes about 8kg but i still only gave her 1/2 tablet on wednesday evening and again yesterday evening. she vomited 3 or 4 times during the night and this morning would not touch her food or drink any water. she came out for a walk no bother and did her business as usual. Im guessing its the tablets that are making her sick. is this normal? my dad told me to watch out for her number 2's if she has worms they will pass out and to get rid of her number 2's but do they vomit them up aswell??

To be honest, you should be doing that anyway, whether you see worms in it or not.

When was the last time she was wormed prior to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

ISDW wrote: »
    To be honest, you should be doing that anyway, whether you see worms in it or not.
    Well of course I do but what i mean is they are deadly if the faeces have worms in them. if a human gets any on their hands and in turn rubs their eyes they can go blind..or so im told.
    the tablets I got are called Zantel for Cats and Dogs. the dosage for an adult dog her size (just under 10kg) is 1 tablet, 1 day. but it said for puppies under 6 months give them 1/2 tablet for every 5kg for 3 days. so far shes gotten 1 tablet total.
    the vet told me to get from a pet store or pharmacy, never mentioned buying from the vet clinic itself
    ISDW wrote: »
    When was the last time she was wormed prior to this?
    She hasnt been wormed before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Fifb, that appiles to any poo, not just after you worm.

Also you should be worming your pup every 2 weeks up to 3 months of age, every month up to 6 months and then once every 3 months after that. I know you don't have her that long but the owner/breeder should have told you when she was last done and with what.

The only wormers I would use and these can be bought from your vet are parazole for pups, drontal or milbemax for adults. I have never heard of Zantel. Get these only at your vets or at the pharmacy.

Ring your vet, tell him what you've done and that your pup has been sick and get his advice before giving her anymore of that wormer or giving her another brand. Also she must be riddled with worms at this stage if she has never been wormed by her previous owner so keep a very close eye on her as pups with heavy worm burdens can get into trouble passing them all if there's a large amount in the gut. If you notice her getting lethargic or exhibiting any behaviour that you don't think it right then vet straight away.

And here's some basic information about caring for a dog http://www.caravetgroup.com/Dogs_and_Puppies/Default.375.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Also the whole rubbing eyes and going blind is a lie, you have to eat the poo of an infected dog, its being well documented.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My vet stocks Zantel and I have used it before with no problems, but I've never had to give it in 3 doses, only ever the one dose, and not to pups. I would check that dosage.
    Parazole is very good for pups and easy on them too. Its a liquid you can mix into some food, and has very easy to follow instructions.
    If the pup is vomiting I would think the wormer wouldn't work well as it may not have a chance to get into the dogs system. Give it a few days and try again. (so long as the dog isn't showing any other symptoms of being ill)
    Its not unknown for pups with a heavy worm burden to vomit, and the stools tend to look jelly like when the worms are passed, sometimes there can be spots of blood too, but not much.
    Please keep a close eye on the pups if they haven't been wormed before, and as said, 2 weeks until 3 months, then every months then every 3 months.

Advertisement