Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche Prices

• 05-07-2008 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Am currently 4 months pregnant with my first child.

I have a partner who works full time and to be able to live I will have to go back to work full time after I have baby!

So, my worry is I will be working just to pay creche fees and what is the point in that?

Can anyone tell me how much their creche fee's are and what is the average??

I'd preferably want it near where I am living, or in the city centre of Dublin where I work. (I currently live in Ballymun/Santry (on the border lol) but am looking to move closer to Mammy and Daddy in Blanchardstown when the lease is up at the end of September.

Thanks,
    Adrieanne

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Congratulations!!!

Sadly if you're near minimum wage you'll end up just working to pay creche fees, they are absolutely insane. I wanted to return full time but my local creche is 1200 a month, there is another for 1020 but it closes at 5.30 so i wouldn't have enough time to leave work to collect baby for that. I'm on the southside. I went back to work part time and have a 2 day babysitter and my mother looks after baby for one day. You should really look into what people around you can do /babysitters/au pairs or even sharing a sitter with another family or something. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Am a student with a kid am currently paying 1000 a month I know expensive but I am hoping to get into a community crech I they are well cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

ours is around 900 a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

How can people afford creche fees they are insane.Im due back at work next month but i would rather work parttime and dp minds baby.If i go back to work full time i would be working to pay creche fees so i might as well go part time and still have same money.But im trying to talk nice and not go back to work untill ds hits about 2.heres hoping.Whats the most expensive and whats the cheapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Julietta

I guess the answer depends on your salary i.e. I pay €900 per month (west Dublin) for my son's creche but I have a pretty decent salary so I would not be working just to pay the creche. If I found myself in that situation, I would stop working or consider part time work & part time child care....although in a lot of cases, the difference between full & part time care is not as much as you might think.

I know it's stating the obvious but shop around a good bit before you decide, I think the larger chain creches are more expensive so perhaps a small, privately run creche would be less expensive? I know the costs are appalling but when the time comes to go back to work, you will pay anything for the peace of mind of knowing your child is well looked after :)

Congratulations,

Julietta

• Advertisement

marti101 wrote: »
    How can people afford creche fees they are insane.Im due back at work next month but i would rather work parttime and dp minds baby.If i go back to work full time i would be working to pay creche fees so i might as well go part time and still have same money.But im trying to talk nice and not go back to work untill ds hits about 2.heres hoping.Whats the most expensive and whats the cheapest.

Thats the boat i'm in, complete poverty if i had to pay creche fees so i work part time as per above. The local creches part time fees are 980 per month for 9-1 mon-fri which i think is even more insane than the 1200 full time. Creche prices are crazy, but whats really crazy is how sub standard most of them are.

Does anyone remember the creche review last year or year before? I think there was about 4% of creches out of 400 creches that actually passed the standards for creches. If i was paying out that money each month i would expect the best of care for my child, its worrying that some creches aren't providing quality care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Are Creche costs tax deductible?

4.3kwh South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Are Creche costs tax deductible?

Fraid not

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Our fee's are €1300 a month (for 2)...

Congratulations and good luck with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

depressing country for creche and childcare.

• Advertisement

Where are you all living? There is probably huge variation depending on area. As i said my local is 1200 full time or 980 part time 9-1 and i'm in templeogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 caterpillargirl

Creches should be tax deductible
    It's a complete joke.
    We should get a lobby together or something, it is so disempowering for women (because it's usually the women who face the work/stay at home choice)
    I know tonnes of highly educated girls who HAVE to give up their jobs after the 2nd child because it is too expensive.

Lets do something, next time politicians come knocking on your door....or before!@!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

LolaDub,
    Santry atm, but looking at Blanchardstown or Finglas soon as wanna be near either my mammy or his mammy!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

Would you consider a child minder in your local area instead. I'm at home with 3 kids and lots of my neighbours have asked me to mind kids for them when they went back to work. It doesn't suit me at the moment due to problems with my 2 younger kids but I know our local supermarket always has local mums advertising to look after children. It would be a lot cheaper, the child gets looked after in an environment similar to your own home, you can build up a good relationship with the childminder and you know your child will get one-to-one attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

LolaDub wrote: »
    Thats the boat i'm in, complete poverty if i had to pay creche fees so i work part time as per above. The local creches part time fees are 980 per month for 9-1 mon-fri which i think is even more insane than the 1200 full time. Creche prices are crazy, but whats really crazy is how sub standard most of them are.

Does anyone remember the creche review last year or year before? I think there was about 4% of creches out of 400 creches that actually passed the standards for creches. If i was paying out that money each month i would expect the best of care for my child, its worrying that some creches aren't providing quality care.

that works out at about 12 euro an hour, and when you think that there are probably severral staff, lots of age apppropiate toys and equiptment, sufficent light and heat, and constant mental and physical stimulation, surely youd consider this good value for that money? our children are our most valuable commodity, why should we be happy to pay for our new cars but moan about paying for our children to be in best care. i do think childcare should be free or at least tax deductable and yes we should lobby every politican that comes to our doors.

in regards to the quality of the country's creches, all creshes are registered and monitored by their local health board, they monitor all areas of the creche and staff that run them, it is not just a courtesy visit. if they find some things are below standard they are given time to improve, and if not will be closed down, so it the figures quoted above are right then 96% of those creches must have been closed down by now.

our children are our most valuable commodity, why should we be happy to pay for our new cars but moan about paying for our children to be in best care.

What makes you think i'm happy to pay for a new car while i'm moaning about creche prices??? I think thats a bit of an unfair statement to make! Nobody here has been bragging about their flash new cars while stomping their feet regarding childcare or saying cars are a greater commodity than children. This thread is simply about whether the op will have to work just to pay creche fees and the price. We are not saying that our children are not worth it, we are saying we can't afford it. Most parents are familiar with financial limitations and thankfully i have enough light and heat in my own home. If you want to talk about something else you can easily begin a new thread.

I have a few friends in and around my area who have kids in creche and not one of them told me they'd recommend theirs. One had two little girls in a local brand name creche and she decided to take them out and stay at home as the kids were constantly picking up infections and coming home upset. Caterpillar girl, i know a fair few women to who had to give up great jobs because they couldn't afford the creche fees. Best of luck OP!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chocciebutton

Hi

We pay €584 a month. That is for 2 full days, and 3 half days. It is the cheapest one, and it is in Santry. A friend of mine is trying to get her little girl in, but unfortunately there are no places at the moment.

Best of luck:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I have 3 children, one goes to a creche at e160 per week, then a relative minds my two older children for e100 for 3 days.
    When petrol is taken into account (i travel 10 miles out of my way evey morning and evening to go to the creche - 20 in total), I figured I don't even have enough to buy the weekly groceries. Only that I love my work, plus find it great to have time away from my children (much though I love them), I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

kelle wrote: »
    I have 3 children, one goes to a creche at e160 per week, then a relative minds my two older children for e100 for 3 days.
    When petrol is taken into account (i travel 10 miles out of my way evey morning and evening to go to the creche - 20 in total), I figured I don't even have enough to buy the weekly groceries. Only that I love my work, plus find it great to have time away from my children (much though I love them), I wouldn't bother.

hi i am student and am looking for a cheap creche can you tell me where it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sarahl85

I too was shocked when i had my son how expensive childcare is. as we both worked, we were not entitled to anything even though my wages was barely covering childcare costs. My mam minded him full time til he was 2 and not wanting to tak advantage, i chose to put him in somewhere mornings only and nanny gladly minded him afternoons. I was quite shocked at these prices too however found a lovely pre-school (The Toddle Inn) for €110 a week for 9-2. The standards were brilliant and the 2 girls that privately own it were a god sent. It was one of the few places that I felt so happy after the viewing. My baby started big school last sept with no problems thanks to the girls. They used to be in the hurly burly play centre but have no moved across the road near the dance factory. really great place, could never fault dem

• Advertisement
Advertisement