Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mezz House Beers

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't get the whol re-badge thing - what is the point?

Is it not better for an Irish brewery to build up a name, rather than scatter their beer hither and yon with different names on it, confusing everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Well I was out on the tear last night and we headed up to the Mezz.

Had a fair few pints of Slimbo's Stout, it was quite nice, it had a good burnt taste and some nice hoppy bitterness, for the price you can't really go wrong.

Didn't try the Mezzmerizer Lager as Lager isn't really my thing.

Thanks to Slim for hookin us up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

BeerNut wrote: »
    I used to believe that too, until I got into blind tasting. Everybody believes it about themselves. Until you try it, it remains just a belief. G'wan, it's fun.

I'm now quite interested to see Slim do the blind taste test :P

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

I'm kind of siding with slim on this. He's put in some work and got an Irish product selling well and has something unique going so he doesn't want to mess it up. The same stuff may well be sold elsewhere in TB under a different name and he may lose the appeal if people know. TB must be a tough place to run a budget bar so any way he's found to do it is his business and he's doing it selling Irish craft beer...

And besides, is there any craft brewery in Ireland whose beer you would not happily drink? Especially if it's a nice pint!!

Last time I was in the mezz I was drinking bloody corona!!! Be happy and leave the man run his business the way he sees fit

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

I'm now quite interested to see Slim do the blind taste test :P

My money is on Slim,seeing as I have supped a pint with him at different occasions and events and he seems to know his stuff! but how about we make a night of it and stop talking about it? or at least an evening?
    Would only be 4 pints in theory

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Guinness, Beamish, Portorhouse Plain and his gypsy stout would be a fair test.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Except you can't get them together. Comparing a nitro version of one beer with a non-nitro version of another wouldn't be properly blind.

Except you can't get them together. Comparing a nitro version of one beer with a non-nitro version of another wouldn't be properly blind.

There are enough pubs within walking distance of each other that stock them for it to work, it's not far from porterhouse temple bar to the mez...

Someone non affiliated goes to porterhuose and pours half a pint into a pint glass of Plain and Murphys, at the same time someone pours a slimbos stout and a guinness in the mezz, they meet in the middle where slim and a few others do the blind test.

It's not that hard really.

edit

Added to that, you're probably right anyway, no other brewery outside dublin has a consistant lager and stout they sell for rebranding besides White Gypsy, infact, I'd go as far as saying that only White Gypsy and PorterHouse have that combination at all, very few Irish brewers have a lagar product at all, never mind a recipe consistant enough to sell on, and the ones that do, don't have a decent, consistant Dry Irish Stout they could do the same with.

I'd go as far as being willing to bet a fiver it is white gypsy, seeing as he said it wasn't brewed in Dublin. Only other option is it's brewed up north by Whitewater or College Green....

Seaneh wrote: »
    very few Irish brewers have a lagar product at all, never mind a recipe consistant enough to sell on, and the ones that do, don't have a decent, consistant Dry Irish Stout they could do the same with.
    In theory Franciscan Well could. But they have never in my knowledge released keg Shandon Stout outside their own pub.

The problem with your blind taste model is that it involves (I think, if I'm reading it right) pouring beer from one glass to another. That's going to really change the appearance of a nitro stout.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

In theory Franciscan Well could. But they have never in my knowledge released keg Shandon Stout outside their own pub.

The problem with your blind taste model is that it involves (I think, if I'm reading it right) pouring beer from one glass to another. That's going to really change the appearance of a nitro stout.

I think he just described the test badly. The idea would be that half a pint of each beer would be poured from the tap in whatever pub and then be brought to a meeting place. The Porterhouse is only 4 mins walk from the Mezz(according to google) so it'd probably be handiest to just hold the test there.

• Advertisement

No no no. Just pour 4 glasses and bring them all to one place. As above.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

I could have sworn I'd had Shandon Stout in the Bull & Castle a year or two ago... perhaps it was on cask.

Rings a bell. I've certainly seen it on cask at the Great British Beer Festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

i've just realised i've never had Shandon Stout.....I'll have to remedy that on my next visit to the rebel county....Might have to pop into the mezz and try their stout too!! I think it's only fair!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

had the shandon stout for the first time in ages over Christmas...nice and different but served too cold for my liking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

*bump*

Has anyone been in to try Slimbo's stout and lager recently? I've been told by a decent enough source that it's simply kegs of Beamish and Fosters rebranded.

irish_goat wrote: »
    *bump*

Has anyone been in to try Slimbo's stout and lager recently? I've been told by a decent enough source that it's simply kegs of Beamish and Fosters rebranded.

I'd highly doubt it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

That would be ironic.

Advertisement