Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst punishment imposed by your parents

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

crazygeryy wrote: »
    kneeler wrote: »
    Haven't heard of that one before. Surely the bread soda and oatmeal would just drop off when you are standing up?

It was combined with water into a paste. We had to lie on the scroll of the sofa with our pants down after spanking and Mom would mix the paste. The pain from the spanking would go down a bit and then the paste would feel quite soothing at first. Then we had to stand up and go against the wall with our hands on our heads. After a couple of minutes when the paste was drying it wout itch and then sting and sting until the pain was worse than before.
    That was the only time we were allowed on the sofa. We had to sit on high backed chairs and we would be spanked if we slouched or did not stand up whenever our Mom or dad entered the room.

your parents should be jailed for that.to dish out punishment is one thing but to think about it and go into so much detail to dish it out, shows a sadistic (dare I say )pleasure.not right not right at all.
    Its ****ed up
    it is better than random violence imo.

I don't agree at all. A spank on the bottom is much better than something so premeditated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

It makes you wonder why some people have kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

poisonated wrote: »
    I don't agree at all. A spank on the bottom is much better than something so premeditated

So parents should just go around giving their children a spank on the bottom whenever they feel like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

poisonated wrote: »

So parents should just go around giving their children a spank on the bottom whenever they feel like it?

I wouldn't hit my child but i can see the argument for spanking a kid if he has been bold. It's negative reinforcement and the child will know that his action receives a negative reaction. It doesn't always work though which is why I wouldn't spank my child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Not really a punishment but my mum used to force my brother and I to go outside to "enjoy the sunshine" when we were playing the Playstation for too long.

To defy her, my brother and I would go outside, walk around to the garage and just sit in the garage doing nothing till we were allowed back in to to play the Playstation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

your parents should be jailed for that.to dish out punishment is one thing but to think about it and go into so much detail to dish it out, shows a sadistic (dare I say )pleasure.not right not right at all.
    Its ****ed up

How can you jail people who haven't been convicted of carrying out any crime? Reasonable chastisement is still legal, believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Kosseegan wrote: »
    How can you jail people who haven't been convicted of carrying out any crime? Reasonable chastisement is still legal, believe it or not.

Would you call that reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Tabasco Sauce :(

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

My Dad use to take my Amiga 500 games and lock them in his press, He would give me some on saturdays (ONLY AFTER 4 HOURS OF HOUSEWORK) 1 Hour 30 mins with a selection of only 3 game disks. Used to take me ages to think which ones i would choose
    If i did extra chores he would allow some extra time. 15 - 30 mins :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Its ****ed up

I take your point but its not reasonable its not reasonable at all, its sadistic as I said already.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Quazzie wrote: »
    Would you call that reasonable?

It is very reasonable. A mild spanking and a rub of paste. When I was young I would have been much more severely punished if i had behaved like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

I take your point but its not reasonable its not reasonable at all, its sadistic as I said already.

I don't think that is the law though. Look at THE KING v. DONOVAN[1934]
    2 K.B. p 498

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 kneeler

It is very reasonable. A mild spanking and a rub of paste. When I was young I would have been much more severely punished if i had behaved like that.

Do you call being walloped on your bare bottom with a heavy leather strap reasonable? That is what I and my three sisters used to get from our mom. Hand spanking until about 8 or 9. Hairbrush until about 12 or 13 and after that the strap. One day my older sister, when she was 17, bought some sweets with change she was supposed to bring back to mom. In order to make an example of her for stealing, she was spanked in front of us. Her bottom was purple after the strap. Then she had the paste put on. We were all terrified.

• kneeler wrote: »
    Do you call being walloped on your bare bottom with a heavy leather strap reasonable? That is what I and my three sisters used to get from our mom. Hand spanking until about 8 or 9. Hairbrush until about 12 or 13 and after that the strap. One day my older sister, when she was 17, bought some sweets with change she was supposed to bring back to mom. In order to make an example of her for stealing, she was spanked in front of us. Her bottom was purple after the strap. Then she had the paste put on. We were all terrified.
    Is this recent, or are we talking a few decades ago? I remember hearing stories from aunties of things like this happening in the 1930s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

My dad when i was 10 or so got my Sega master system and stuck a fork in where you put the controller and fecked it up so it could be never played again.

Daddy why :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

No major punishments, but i realise in retrospect that the decision to pour all the disposable income into paying off the mortgage quicker was a bit unfortunate for us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

christ some of the stuff in here is fcuking perverted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Whenever they feel it is deserved...yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

kfallon wrote: »
    They wouldn't let me watch the Merseyside Derby in April '89, I had gone hurling training after school but then went off for a game of football after it without telling anyone, they had no idea where I was. Obviously when I turned up I got a bollocking. I had asked my hurling trainer to call in to tell them where I had gone but it was only ten mins after I got home he turned up :rolleyes:

Always remember being in my room that night :(

Hope they made you watch the video of the last game that season for your next punishment;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Definitely the worst punishment was when I was in 3rd year in school I got suspended for 2 days just before the Easter holidays and my Mam said I was grounded for the whole 2 weeks. There was me thinking ha, we'll see about that (admittedly I was a bit of a little bollox).

Got up the next day and couldn't find any of my shoes, anywhere.

Turned out after the 2 weeks were nearly up that she had taken them all and locked them in the boot of her car. Tough, but inventive in fairness.

At one stage I had to limp down to the local shop in a pair of my sister's size 5 runners to buy a pack of cigarettes. I'm a size 10. Ouch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Sometimes I'm probably not appreciative enough of my parents, but I'm grateful I never went through some of the fúcked up stuff in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    My dad when i was 10 or so got my Sega master system and stuck a fork in where you put the controller and fecked it up so it could be never played again.

Daddy why :(
    Remind him of that when he's old and decrepit and hooked up to some machinery in hospital and then whip a fork out of your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Apart from the odd smack on the back of the legs for something major, the standing punishment in our house was not being allowed to watch the Muppet Show. But it would still be on for the other siblings to see, and they would make sure the volume was loud enough so you could at least hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

lazygal wrote: »
    My mum smacked me across the face when I was about ten, can't even remember what it was for. But its stayed with me to this day and I still remember how horrible it was. What's your punishment horror story from childhood?
    If it just a smack in the face by my mother, I would be a happy boy.
    Unfortunately, I received lot more. wooden spoons, brush or anything my mother could get her hands on, until I grew taller and stronger than her. I never deserve any of it, I was never the retaliate type. I have learnt to be stubborn over the years because of her. My mother cannot tell the difference between an accident and deliberate actions against her. I told my first lie because of her. She hit me until I give into her lie so I do know from experience that evidence from torture is unreliable. I suffered because of it growing up. Everything that goes wrong for her is deliberate in her mind. If she gets a notion out of self fear that she claims I did something wrongs she punishes me. She expect lots of rewards for any she did for me. I got beaten for not hearing her orders, whenever it her roaring out the car at the end of the drive with her car radio blaring, car revving, and me in the back of the house, with her leaving the house radio blaring. I got hit with the other sibling claims I did things I never did. I had hearing problems when I was a kid and she knew fully well about my hearing problems as she was regularly taking me to the doctor.
    My earliest memory that I was hit by her very hard was when I was 6 years old weeks after an operation. My job was to clear the table. My older siblings were fighting as usual and I had to move the last thing on the table, the glass good sugar bowl to the press when I had to reach by going up on my toes. One of my older sibling hit my back and the glass good sugar bowl slipped from my hands breaking on the floor. I got beating so hard that I was still crying several hours later. My grandfather met me that evening I still was in tears. He and my grandmother gave out to my parents and later in the evening they beat me again and was punished for twelling them nothing as I was in tears. My mother yell to my father to kick me. My father kicked my arse so hard, he hit my tail bone and the shock went up my spine like a electrical shock. I crawled into bed. They yell to me to stay in bed and your not getting any supper. I was still in pain for the rest of the week.

Verbal and emotion abuse was my mother favourite weapons because she knew she could inflict far more damage. She is a Dr Jeckl and Mr Hyde personality. She uses the society ideal image of a mother to batter ramp me emotionally. Over the years as a child, I always though I was the bad one, in reality it was my mother. My grandparents nor teachers nor neighbours had never any issue with me. I never cause any trouble but I had to defend myself. Yet, it was always my parents especially my mother who was the troublesome one.

I can never punish my parents in Court especially my mother, for she believes she done no wrong and the Law & Courts is on her side, especially now since I am an adult male. For Society both male and female always believe that any dispute between male and female that the male is always in the wrong and is punished and degraded.

Today I do not speak nor want my parents around in my adult life including most of my siblings who still support my parents despite several disputes. The rest of my extended family and friends knows why and many believes me as they suspect something were not quite right and they knew about my mother aggressive nature but no evidence. Growing up in the 70's and 80's, it was generally accepted that parents can beat they kids as punishment. The reason I do not want my father around because he did beat &/or punish me without any defence on my part on anything my mother claims I did wrong. He never admit his wrong. He did not want to hear about it. My Mother and father fought over the years like cats and dogs. Both were fully guilty of the fights. Only on two occasions did it in my presence did it goes physical. Both times I do not blame my father as my mother as usually start the fights and she one hell bent of expelling her anger for long periods and dishing out punishment.
    My sibling fought too, I always stayed neutral. I know who are the trouble maker, the liars, the manipulators, and the enablers.

If you met her mother, my maternal Grandmother they are two very different persons. My Grandmother is a gentle kind, loving, understanding soul. My mother the complete opposite. A true wolf in sheep clothes. yet society (strangers) tends to believe her stories as a female victim trying to raise kids and not mine because now I am an adult male not a helpless young defenceless kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

^^ Sorry to hear about your experiences. Sounds like a nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

A hard punch in the face from the father when I was ten, in front of friends and relatives. To this day there is still damage to my nose from it :eek: Then the usual, wooden spoons, grounded for 3 months here and there. About 2 years ago my dad told me I was a mistake and that he wished my mam had never had me (I was planned) and that he didn't love me. The next week he bought me tickets to see Bill Bailey to make that one up to me. Things have never really been the same since, though. My mam was always brilliant with us as kids. My dad just didn't know what to do with us. I remember being sent for therapy years ago, when I was 16 or 17 and my dad lost the plot, saying there was nothing wrong with me and I was doing it for attention, despite me needing the therapy for a horrific thing that happened to me at that age. Still hasn't come to terms with it enough to be able to speak to me about it though. xD

Tbh though my dad is making more effort. Likes the album I recorded and actually complimented me on it, whereas before, he'd never compliment anything I did, it was never good enough. So I guess as I've grown older, he's seeing me as an adult finally (about feckin' time, I'm just about 23!). So I try to put the past firmly in the past and just enjoy this new, nicer father. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Should this thread be moved to PI?

rgmmg wrote: »
    ^^ Sorry to hear about your experiences. Sounds like a nightmare
    Yet the Law and incoherent State bodies, do not punish abusing women the same way as they punish men for abuse on children. Only extreme cases goes to court. It is very unfair for children who continuously suffer in the hands and mouths of their abusing mother. It punishes children by allowing mothers away with no punishment.

What more the horrific attitude of our Politicians, Gardai, DPP, Laws and Courts is that all will not admit that mother abuse on children cause more harm to a child than male abuse. Yet we in Society believe in that special bond between a mother and her child. They punish mothers far less yet the Irish Constitution has a special place for Mothers looking after kids. Society has the Foolish image that Mothers can still do not wrong to their kids.
    A Female Judge who presided over a court case of a mother who sexually abuse her sons was only convicted for incest, not sexual assault with a minor, was shock that the Law she had to use for sentences was from Victorian era. The mother despite how many times she abuse and neglect her children only got a maximum of 7 years. For a man it is a life sentence maximum.
    http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/the-blame-game-175092.html

The Roscommon case was far more extreme than mine. I never suffered sexual abuse. I did get fed and clothed and go to school only because there was too much attention from my extended family and my selfish mother desire to be praised, but it still highlights the issue in Society that a mother abuse of her kids is not as bad as male abuse on children. When a man abuse his kids, the State bodies are very quick to punish, when a mother abuse her kids, they leave the abuser to mind the kids, because she the abuser is their mother.
    RTE wrote:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0122/roscommon.html

Judge Reynolds said she would be dealing with the sentencing of the woman with legislation that dates back to 1908.
    She pointed out that the maximum sentence she can hand down under this legislation is a term of seven years in prison.

'Had this being a case of a male person being convicted - a much longer sentence would be allowed under more recently amended legislation. A man convicted of incest can be jailed up to a maximum of a life sentence,' she said.

Earlier this morning, counsel for the woman said his client wished to apologise to all members of her family for her failures and all matters she did that had destroyed their lives.

The court was told she is suffering from medical conditions, which include depression, epilepsy and asthma.

Her barrister had asked Judge Reynolds to take into consideration that the wider community must have known of the abuse that was going on.
    Mr Bernard Madden said it must have been obvious when the children attended school that they were badly dressed and badly cared for.
    He said his client was particularly concerned about the effect of her sentence on her daughter, who is now 16 years old.

Mr Madden said this girl had been traumatised and wanted to take her own life.
    The Neighbours knew and contact the authorities gardai and the WHB numerous times, yet the barrister use it as an excuse to minimise her sentence further. The Neighbours could not protect the kids, if they take the kids for protection, they be prosecuted with kidnapping.
    Feminism do not want true equal rights and punishment neither do the Politicians, Lawyers, the Department of Justice, and the state bodies, who all will continue to be complicit to Child abuse by mothers by deny and minimising their effect of Mother abuse on their kids. We in Society Failed to put in a system to properly protect children from cruel mothers. We already have a system for cruel fathers. We in Society, the voters are also guilty of letting the Politicians & State off the hook, leaving Children in further pain and agony and to live with the consequences of the abuse they receive from their cruel controlling and abusive mothers.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0715/1224300763404.html

I currently have no faith in the fore coming Referendum on Children Rights as it still leaves the State off the hook as it is a wall papering exercise to hide the real issue. They do not want to spend money punishing mothers who abuse their kids. They do not want to punish the State bodies who failed children. They themselves can go home in comfort in their own homes while children from abusive mothers will always hurt the defenceless kids, pitting one against the others, manipulating them like they are worthless and not worth the time and effort of their perversive love. Like Male abusers, Female abusers do alot of damage and often far more Psychological abuse.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0228/1224312482446.html

When I was a kid or young hormonal teenager, If I hit my abusive father in self defence, I would make him think twice before he attacks me again, he probably will but he know I will be willing to attack back. If I hit my abusive mother in self defence for physically attacking me, I would be arrested and punish in the courts, and when I get out I be under her punishment regime again. I not only have to fight in self defence against my abusive mother but also in self defence of the State and Society as well. That is the reality of present day Ireland. Children always loose because the state bodies and Politicians will scapegoat the failures any where else. No wonders we have so many abusers growing up when they are taught to abuse at home when they are abused as kids.

Here one example of one mother who imprisoned her own kids, beat one to make him a handicap to gain Financial subvention.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0715/1224300763388.html
    “These children were kept as prisoners by their mother. The girls’ hair was cut and they were not allowed to claim the dole lest they would have financial independence and run away. One child was beaten by the mother so that he would appear handicapped, so financial subvention would be given to the mother.
    “Not only were the children treated like slaves, but they were viewed by their mother as economic units and she was able to use the children to the best economic purpose that she could.

“She is far more concerned about her own self-esteem. She views the Garda investigation and this case as an interruption to her life. The woman is not ill and does not have any psychiatric or psychological illness and she knows the difference between right and wrong. She has no insight or remorse for what has happened. It’s quite impossible to know what the motivation is for this woman. She diverted the greater part of the family income away from the children and she has imposed a life sentence on them. Being an alcoholic is no excuse. You don’t beat children, tie them to a tree or to a horse . . . just because you’re an alcoholic.”

Example of Judge Raymond Groarke reasoning for reduction of her prison sentence.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0715/1224300763388.html

He sentenced the woman to three years in prison on each charge to run consecutively. He suspended the final 16 years of the 24-year sentence, stating there was no need to impose conditions as he believed she could no longer harm her children on her release.

If I were any of these kids male or female, I would be terrified knowing that she will be out of jail and not lock away for life. It is terrifying to know that the state bodies and Society are more concern about excuses for her psychological and physical punishment on her kids. The punishment for these kids goes on and will have to endure the effects of abuse for the rest of their lives, knowing that their abusive mother could re enter their lives. But Society will find an excuse for these mothers reducing the perception of the horrible effects on their victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

I remember one day I lost it, thought I was a big man and reached for my dads shirt collar. He had me pinned to the wall before I even knew what was happening. Nearly shat myself. Been about 5 years and I haven't stood up to him since.

• Advertisement

Friel wrote: »
    I remember one day I lost it, thought I was a big man and reached for my dads shirt collar. He had me pinned to the wall before I even knew what was happening. Nearly shat myself. Been about 5 years and I haven't stood up to him since.
    As much as the feeling to put one over him, it is not worth it. By standing up to him taking his punishment actually does more harm to him in the long run, because of the Law in protecting children from abusive Fathers and the punishment on him are far more severe nowadays, in the short term you will suffer but your bruises and bones can heal and the older you grow and hit 18 your free to do as you will. You be legally an adult and physically still getting to your prime strength. Yet retaliation will get you no where. Revenge is treat badly in Court.

Advertisement