Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WAR: Wicklow Adventure Race Glenmalure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Oryx wrote: »
    Yeah just got that email. And to be honest its a very good response. Full refund offered and a voucher to compensate competitors.

Could you post up the email, havent got it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mumford

Just a quick update on the WAR:Glenmalure course. We've had to remove the Kelly's Lough Kayak stage. While this will be a disappointment to most competitors, we believe that the modified course will actually be more scenic and challenging with the addition of the Kirikee Mountain run at the start and obstacle course with a river run at the end.

Kirakee Mountain Run.

The route is off road over a variety of tracks, farmland, open mountain and forest. It measures just under 10km and has a total climb of over 300m taking in the summit of Kirikee Mountain. The full route details are now up on the WAR website at this link HERE . Both the WAR and the WAR-Sport competitors will start with the Kirikee run before tackling the Shay Elliott on the bike.

Cycle stage 1 has just got harder for the WAR course

Competitors doing the longer course will descent off the Shay Elliott and immediately start to climb up Slieve Mann before attacking the 2nd run over Croaghanmoira. (WAR-Sport competitors won't climb Slieve Mann). This elevation profile gives you a feel for the amount of climbing. Full details are at this link HERE .

The final cycle stage for the longer course will continue down Slieve Mann and back over the shoulder of Croaghanmoira into the east end of Glenmalure valley. This ensures that the final cycle is safer, with only left hand turns. However, the descent into Greenan is not in great condition, so we are proposing a neutralized zone for this short 600m section. A neutralized section is where everybody gets given the same 5min time to complete it, so there is no advantage in racing down it. Full details at this link HERE .

Your options

We, like you, are disappointed about the fact that there will be no kayaking leg in this year's event, but be assured that the new run section we have is an improvement in terms of superb scenery and more interesting running terrain.

Full Refund: If you want a refund for this reason please e-mail war2010race@gmail.com by next Wednesday 8th September with the subject "WAR Refund Request" and we will refund your full entry fee.
    €10 voucher: For all competitors we are pleased to offer a €10 voucher for 53 Deg North in compensation for not having a kayak stage. These will be given out at sign on in 53 Deg North in Carickmines on Thursday 23rd and Friday 24th September and again at the limited registration at Glenmalure on Sat 25th and are valid for online sales as well as in store.
    Note: In a similar vein, €10 has been taken off the entry price of the remaining 90 entries , so €55 for WAR-Sport and €65 for WAR.
    Another benefit of the modified course is that there will be a single start for each race - i.e No wave starts - This would only have been necessary to prevent any waiting at kayaks section

Apologies again for any inconvenience caused

The Wicklow Adventure Race Team

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

I think its a good response too but have to say I am dissappointed that the sport category is so reduced now. Also think people who have been training on the original route may be annoyed that they run has been changed!

anyway onwards and upwards as they say :(

Here's the elevation profile for the new 1st cycle:eek:

The legs are gonna be like jelly on the second run after this but sur if it was easy we wouldnt be doing it:D

shay-elliott-bike-profile1.jpg

Second cycle looks handy enough

profile-of-cycle-back-to-glenmalure.jpg

Fi H wrote: »
    I think its a good response too but have to say I am dissappointed that the sport category is so reduced now. Also think people who have been training on the original route may be annoyed that they run has been changed!

anyway onwards and upwards as they say :(

Do the Full WAR:D Its after getting shorter too

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

4 stars (good)
    Ill be the one on the last km of that cycle swearing like a trooper and calling the organisers names. :)

Hummm... I'm not sure theres enough hours in the day for that :D

Going to drive the routes tomorrow or sunday so will decide then what the best approach is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 earsandasmile

Ok, s**t happens I suppose and in fairness it looks like it's being handled pretty well.

Can we have some more info on the "obstacle course and river run"?

After doing "ok"ish at Gael Force I was disappointed that I had entered the Sports course so early and would like to do the full one now. But before I apply to change (which I assume is a possibility now) I'd like a little more info on this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Tiffany Incalculable Axle

3 stars (average)
    Ah crap was looking forward to the 7k run/kayak/7k run section. In some perverse way i like the look of the climbs on the first bike section:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Kirikee run stage mapped:-
    AA7260249D2A4C9C9BE0B94F09A705FA-0000332535-0001899273-00800L-84E6B8DAD1724816A0AC2B6ABDDA56C8.jpg

Cycling stages mapped:-
    62C7380E236D49348F679768F28B3D15-0000332535-0001899282-00800L-FD42A39F196740C19AD8876DA1E0F35B.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

4 stars (good)
    Can anyone recomend accomadation for the weekend? preferably a house to rent.

pity about the late changes but we'll soldier on. i was looking forward to all of us starting on the bike, would have been claustrophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

4 stars (good)
    Just a few pointers on Kirakee run to anybody heading out on a recce -

Kirakee Run: Use caution when entering the field that leads to the summit (after you pass the barn you will hop a gate). The field has a Bull that was not too happy to see two of us last Sunday, apparently he wont be there for the race...

Also later in the Kirakee run,after descending from the summit and taking a left and left again onto the fireroad you will be taking the second right which brings you down to the edge of the tree line. ..The route map seems to indicate that the course continues along the edge of the tree line but in fact the route goes through the trees (just inside the tress, parallel to the tree line) yo uthen hop the fence, back up to the barn....

Always good to know about bulls :) glad i decided to stay in bed instead of training there :D

Anyone seen the reports there have been 3 landslides at kellys lough? just aswell the kayak is off :)
    Fingers crossed none of the rest of the route is effected!

Anyone have any info on the river run at the end. The website doesn't have any info on it. Just wondering how long it is and what type of terraine will be involved or are we actually running through a river bed.

Also my friend requested a refund due to removal of the kayak stage and hasen't heard anything back from the organisers yet. Anyone else get a refund?

3 stars (average)
    I completed most of the bike section today, all i can say is :eek: with the climbs. At least i know what faces me!!

I completed most of the bike section today, all i can say is :eek: with the climbs. At least i know what faces me!!

Whats the offroad/unsealed road section like?

3 stars (average)
    Whats the offroad/unsealed road section like?

I did not get to that section as i was doing the Jim Loughman 123km which covers some of WAR terrain, Shay Elliot is a tough climb.

I dont think the river run will be either long or that tough by the sounds of things. Its just being added to the end to give the race a bit of spice :) Nothing to be scared of.

Any sign of flooding etc on your cycle?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

4 stars (good)
    Re refunds etc Id say give it time. Its two weeks to the event, Id say they are inundated with issues to sort out, especially with the changes. Theyre usually a good crew when it comes to following up on communications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 fishboy1974

Did the 2 cycle stages on Saturday:

Stage 1 is definitely the tougher of the 2, after about 3-4 KM there is an uphill segment of about 1.5KM that comes out of nowhere and does not look particularly steep but takes a alot of you. From there on until you reach the Shay Elliot it is relatively easy [couln't find the off road part and is not marked as of yet]. Shay Elliot is long and is gruel but in reality the hardest parts are when you turn into it if for the first KM and the last 250 metres which is very tough. After the descent past the lodge the next climp IMO is way tougher, its just as long as the Shay but the gradient is steeper. After having done a 10KM run this will be hurt alot of folk [outside of elites].

Stage 2 starts off with a wicked descent which is relatively straight [so alot of speed] but a little gravelly in parts and then turns up through the mountain, its steep here but manageable. Once your through this your pretty much home and is mostly descents. Alot of care needed when descending as road is quite cut up until you get back to Glenmalure. If its wet there could be carnage here and be careful of pot holes, theres alot of them.

WTF is a river run and how long is it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Thinking of doing this. Probably opt for the sports class as I'm feeling pretty lazy at the moment and will be working later that day.

Anyone know what the first run, Kirikee mountain is like? Trail/muddy/enjoyable?

I know its through a farmers land so isnt really all that accessible. I would reckon v muddy given the current weather :) But the top part i think is a trail

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

4 stars (good)
    Kirakee run is fireroad for the first few k, then out into a farmers field to the summit,its grass, it might be wet but its not too mucky...the descent from the summit is on what seems like half built fireroad, so it a mixture of peat like soil and some gravel, nice and bouncy to run on , mucky in spots....then back onto a small bit of fireroad and a section through the trees, back into a field and then back on the fireroad....Its a nice run, not all that tough tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mexican.mitch

Hi all any newbie’s out there?

This will be my first adventure race and I’m wondering how long people expect he “sport version” to take?

I did the first part of the run (up to the top and back the same way) on the weekend and half of the cycle (to just before the off road section). I must admit I found it very difficult, I’ll be very happy just to finish!

We drove the off road section in a 4 by 4 and met the farmer who owns the lad (by the way he said he didn’t know when WAR was on ekkkk :eek: and hoped he wasn't herding cows that day) Anyone have any firm insight into the last leg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    trinewbie wrote: »
    Kirakee run is fireroad for the first few k, then out into a farmers field to the summit,its grass, it might be wet but its not too mucky...the descent from the summit is on what seems like half built fireroad, so it a mixture of peat like soil and some gravel, nice and bouncy to run on , mucky in spots....then back onto a small bit of fireroad and a section through the trees, back into a field and then back on the fireroad....Its a nice run, not all that tough tbh.

Cheers for that Trinewbie. It looks like a nice fast run on Google maps. Trying to decide sports or expert. Bit tried after GF and Roar but wouldn't mind one last tough hurrah.

Ah go on...make the sea 2 summit your last hurrah instead :D

Just wondering if anyone at all is planning on staying around glenmalure on sat night? we havent booked anywhere on the basis that most people will head abck t o dublin but just wondering!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Just waiting now for the horsie racing style bookies favourites tips from the race organiser:D
    Without seeing the final entries I'm already looking forward to the duel between;

Aaron O'Donohue - fastest over a shorter Hellfire Duathlon
    Niall Somers - 2nd in Achill ROAR
    Kevin Keane - fast in numerous triathlons this year

I'd nearly go for a walk on the second hillrun cos there will be places gained and lost on that section if previous WAR races are anything to go by.

If Padraig "superstar" Marrey makes an appearance there could be even more fireworks and EoinyBeany Keith is always there or thereabouts...Apologies to the ladies but as I say I haven't seen the start list!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fishboy1974

Has anyone here done the Croaghanmoira run and if yes how exactly do you access trail, i have an idea its on the left hand side of road having done climb past Glenmalure Lodge but not 100%.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Has anyone here done the Croaghanmoira run and if yes how exactly do you access trail, i have an idea its on the left hand side of road having done climb past Glenmalure Lodge but not 100%.

Thanks

Thats the trail for the second run indeed -It is an out and back route so great for spotting somone ahead to try to catch.
    We had thought about a slightly easier route involing some fireroads and only passing the summit once but this will sort our the wheat from the chaff and give better views all round :D

The final short but steep descent into Grennane is currently being repaired by Wicklow Co Council and a final call will be made as to whether this section will be timed out late next week when we see the final state of the roads.

The first run up through the farmer's field is available for recee this Saturday. The farmer has kindly agreed to give access and move his bull out of the field on Saturday but please close all gates behind you and take care crossing the fences coming out of the forest toward the farm sheds - we will have "protection" on these for the race next week :D!

River run and obstacle course will be relatively short but you will get wet be assured :eek:!

Currently working on getting refunds sorted via Run Ireland for those that have looked for them :(.

Hope to have a "Formguide" out sometime next week - Pity PeterX is not going to give them all a run for their money but a battle up front is assured :).

The National Adventure Series points table has just been updated with the Achill ROAR points and Chris Caulfield maintains his lead with only WAR Glenmalure to go but Niall Sommers is current favourite to take the title if he has a good outing in WAR and providing third placed Eoin Keith does not finish at least 2 places ahead of him.
    In the ladies it is all done and dusted with Derval Devany taking the win thanks to her three wins and a third with Rachel Nolan currently in second but looking likely to be overtaken by Karen Doyle should she make the WAR start line and have her usual consistent race.
    Updated points table available now at www.msai.ie

It is hoped that this series will be expanded next year to include other suitable events and will hopefully include a sports section too and maybe even have a sponsor:rolleyes:!

Advertisement