Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

met.ie radar animation for St. Patrick's day last showing those heavy showers that occurred:

17th_March_2012__convective_showers.gif

I was thinking (or even pontificating) earlier on that maybe some sort of convergence line developed over the central part of the country as the northward movement of showers seemed to 'stall' before being pulled back southwards but I am just wondering if that really was the case? That shower line stalled over this region and gave about 9mm in the space of about 90 mins before it was pushed back again. I would say most regions in a line from N Galway to Dub had about the same more or less.

Any thoughts anyone as to wheather this was a an actual convergence zone of just a sort of 'drag' as the low moved into the Irish Sea? (I am not coming across well as totally plum-tuckered)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Well, there was only 2.0mm of rain here on the 17th, all between 11pm and midnight.

The showers seemed to rotate around a point right above us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

So as you may of noticed by Mt's update this morning,

The next chance of some thundery activity is Easter Monday on the frontal edge of the front heading south over the country.
    At the moment its only a slight risk id say for the North and East.

199281.png

199279.png

Will be interesting to watch this for potential upgrades... the gradient along the front edge tightening would lead to greater convective potential.

Thoughts anyone? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I've been watching it for the past few days but its been downgraded quite a bit, CAPE was being shown around 300-500 with a lifted index of -2 widespread across the northern half of the country a couple of days ago. Hopefully a few people might still get lucky

Cant say much, about to head to work , just waited to see the 6z run..

looks as if TUESDAY is now the day of interest? ... it could go 2 ways..
    long dull day with drizzle and heavy showers... or ... a bright day with some heavy and thundery showers :)

" HOW YOU DOOOIN? :cool::cool::cool: " ....
    199354.png

• Advertisement

Still looking quite interesting for 2moro afternoon :)

SHould get a few heavy showers with some hail and the bit of thunder in the stronger cells as the sun heats up the land in the afternoon .. with showers popping up in the midlands and moving slowly east.

Cape between 250 - 300
    Upper air temps (500hp ) @ about -30
    Lifted index of -1,-2 broadly
    Light westerly breeze means the cells will be slow moving and can organise better .
    :D

199664.png

Anyone else care to give their thoughts?.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

A few strikes in the south east today, http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

The sky was amazing with all those heavy showers as i drove from east to west today.

Maybe tomorrow will yield more.

Skew-T chart for Dublin 3pm tomorrow :)

Dew point 4.4 C
    Cape 370 j
    Lifted Index -1

199737.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Skew-T chart for Dublin 3pm tomorrow :)

Dew point 4.4 C
    Cape 370 j
    Lifted Index -1

199737.png

All i understood was the smiley, must be promising for thunderstorms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

April will generate some of its famous showers tomorrow again. With equilibrium temperature near -45 °C many of them will be thundery by around noon onwards, continuing on in the eastern half of the country into the evening as the coldest upper pool continues eastwards. Watch for some short sharp rain and hail downpours moving eastwards, forming linear systems as they do so under 20-30 m/s deep layer shear. Could be some temporary driving difficulties in some areas so take care.

• Advertisement

SHowers could start popping up pretty much anywhere from now folks ... Anyone chasing in the dublin area? ha :) ...

Anyways ... Happy Radar and sky watching! ... * goes sets up for a timelapse * :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

SHowers could start popping up pretty much anywhere from now folks ... Anyone chasing in the dublin area? ha :) ...

Anyways ... Happy Radar and sky watching! ... * goes sets up for a timelapse * :):):)

You deserve a supercell for your enthusiasm!

patneve2 wrote: »
    You deserve a supercell for your enthusiasm!

AH sure ill have them in June ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

No storms here, but some some nice cloudscapes at least.

P1000906.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    No storms here, but some some nice cloudscapes at least.

P1000906.jpg

Ah sure thats Cork for ya - no snow, no t-storms. It misses out on all the exciting weather. Yes, I went there :p

First registered strike of the day up near belfast from that intense cell . Anyone up in belfast? :rolleyes:

199840.png

Nice view from here, nothing photogenic yet but good timelapse footage indeed. :)

Some good convection out there today, not expecting any action around here but if they keep building over land then the east coast could be in for some fun later

Taken with my sh!tty phone camera so it didn't really come out well but there's a nice storm developing here, gonna keep an eye on it on the radar and see what comes of it :)

img8847r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

Hope you're right re: the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Heavy shower just passed through here no sparks though,sun back out now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Some very dark clouds on the horizon now in this part of laois..Having fun watching the skies while keeping an eye on the radar:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Bright sunshine at the moment. Solar Energy 773 w/m2 Index 10

Had a brief shower at lunchtime but it didn't even tip the bucket to register.

Temps have been up and down like a yo-yo but currently its 10.7c.

As others have said some nice cloudscapes on view today.

Strikes off the coast of Greystones! ... GRRR!!.....

EDIT : 16 mm rain echo!! from the cell that produced 4 spherics

199869.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Strikes off the coast of Greystones! ... GRRR!!.....

EDIT : 16 mm rain echo!! from the cell that produced 4 spherics

199869.png

If i'd spotted it a bit earlier i'd have gone down that way to have a look but it's probably a bit too late now.
    Ps i count 6 sferics around that location on the uk met office data ;)
    http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/eldingar.txt
    EDIT: Now 10 sferics
    EDIT 2 :p looking at that again it appears some of the strikes were recorded twice with the same timestamp it appears you were right with 4! Now up to 7.

8 strikes now just offshore! Some really intense showers starting to show up on the raintoday radar with a 40-50mm/hr pixel in the centre of that one

26047282.png

Another strike around Clonmel just now

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Harps wrote: »
    8 strikes now just offshore! Some really intense showers starting to show up on the raintoday radar with a 40-50mm/hr pixel in the centre of that one

26047282.png

Another strike around Clonmel just now

jus heard that cracker around clonmel meself !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

there was some nice dark clouds passing by in youghal earlier this afternoon.

and by the looks of things there still going strong down in youghal. damn it. currently up in cork, where nothing but heavy showers. :(

very gusty and raining sideways here, and Mr Whippy pulls up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Very hefty looking shower coming across just North of here at the moment, sky's starting to go black. No sparks from it yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Trogdor wrote: »
    Very hefty looking shower coming across just North of here at the moment, sky's starting to go black. No sparks from it yet though.

Very heavy rain and hail in Dalkey, hefty shower alright

• Advertisement

Its really annoying aint it!?... i bet that cell looked sweet!
    Im just back from walking the dog down the park and went up on the overpass bridge with a great view to the mountains... one CB cloud exploding straight up , looked class... not soo much on my phone though... ha

Timelapse still running here ... should get about 4 hours of motion altogether in the end result :) ... hopefully it works out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement