Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart Don't fail me now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Dory Dory wrote: »
    nice ride you got there.....
    :-) some things just don't translate directly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

But back to the, uh, bike - nice ride you got there.....

Dory.......the gift that just keeps on giving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

RedB wrote: »
    :-) some things just don't translate directly

Huh?? Again?? So it's not just the word fanny that rhymes with nooks and crannies that is impolite in mixed company? There's more?? Dammit!!
    griffin100 wrote: »
    Dory.......the gift that just keeps on giving :)

Awwww :)....so I'm, uh...a gift?? ;)

...googling "nice ride you got there" now......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Monday: With me being on the road all day in Dublin on thursday, and with such a poor weekends training the usual rest day was swapped. The lunch run was supposed to be an hour, but I foolishly took a late call so I had only time for the usual loop which is usually about 40 minutes. So a shorter than planned run at 4.55 pace AHR=152. Due to the (I hope phone) hold up the Polar spiked and gave me high 160's for the first k and then dropped down to the 130's so I should be probably more in the high 140's. Nice run - the cold is gone out of the air again.

Monday Evening: Over for a swim - had a meeting conveniently arranged for the hotel attached to the gym after. Main part of the plan was 5 x 200 with 100m active recovery after each 3.44/3.44/3.32/4.09/3.40. I was initially disappointed with the 1st two times and then caned the 3rd set, it sank in eventually that I had forgotten to factor in the 18m pool so these were 216m sets. Died a death on the 4th when I tried to swim quick while keeping relaxed to recover after the 3rd set. 2500m all in

Tuesday Lunch: I decided to "mount" the pussywagon (theres one for you Dory). After 20 minutes of tender care, taking off the Sram wheel and attaching the training wheel, lovingly wiping off any signs of oil. I settled down to Game of Thrones, again I was caught as I expected about 40-45 minute episodes so the first was 1.02. So I got only 30 minutes - struggled badly to stay down on the tri bars. Arms got sore very quickly.

Tuesday Evening: Had another 30 minutes free so jumped on the turbo again to watch the 2nd half. Did 5 minutes down 5 minutes up and pushed harder for a change. AHR = 127. The drops started to become a little better and i enjoyed the smoother gear change on the new steed. There is a handy sis/force converter on the gears so I can take the 10 speed which clicks into place on the race wheels and the 9 speed of my training wheels.

Initial impressions of Game of Thrones is that it may take a little more concentration than Heroes to keep up. I was delighted with the large amount of gratuitous flesh on view though ;)

Thanks for throwing me that bone, cw. ;)

• Advertisement

Awwww :)....so I'm, uh...a gift?? ;)

...googling "nice ride you got there" now......

A great training log..........some funny US - Irl translations....... yes I'd call you a giving person :)

Wednesday: About an hour before lunch an old filling falls out. My teeth drive me nuts, I haven't been to a doctor in about ten years but I have spent a small fortune on my teeth. Very rarely eat chocolate and have always been diligent enough on brushing and flossing but I have been told its my 5 a day fruit habit that's causing the problem you cant win really :rolleyes:

The local one is expensive and after getting a clean bill of health just before I went skiing last year, he promptly leaves and his replacement literally 3 months later for a teeth cleaning reckons my teeth are f%$£$£.

After today I was going to tell her no more - she has bled me dry but just as I was leaving I foolishly asked her how she got the bandage on her nose. Broke her nose playing water polo, now I always reckon Water Polo and top end swimming goes hand in hand. I was right and I got about 20 minutes discussing her national championships events in her college days.

Surprise surprise I am back again next month again after that chat! So with lunch time gone and a sneaky visit from the mother in law that evening an unplanned rest day

Thursday: Was a scheduled rest day as I was working in Dublin till late

Friday: With my back hurting me I decided to not do the double session catch up I was planning and did the prescribed 1.15 minute Z2 run only. I really struggled today, the first 3k were fast 4.40 pace- nice and low heart rates in high 130's/140's. Struggled after that out to 5.15/5.20ks but thankfully I stated to feel good near the end and was able to go back into sub 5 territory for the last 2k. All in 1.15 @ 5.07 pace 152 AHR

Attic needs to be painted this weekend so I better tread carefully this weekend with the training and get it done early.

Saturday: An entire day painting the attic, place was destroyed but managed to have it relatively tidy before Mrs C came home. It actually turned out well, I painted over in the States for a few summers on the J1 but when its your own place you take more care. More to do tomorrow.

Got down to the bike with the England-Italy game recorded, finished up early so I could have the shower and bottle of red open for the Ireland game. I love six nations, 8pm on a saturday night followed by Match of the day - manna from the heavens for boring mid life Saturday nights in.

To see the match called off with the French equivalent of the Artane boys band waiting for the anthems was a bit of a farce, would be sickened if I was over there. A few boos was all I heard, you gotta love rugby supporters, if that was a soccer game the stand would have been raining down on them. 2 hours on the bike, 5 minutes hard 5 easy repeats, AHR - 112

Sunday: Ran out of paint :o. So headed off for the run at about 5, was delighted to get out as it was a lovely day with a great sunset. Sundays LSR are a Z12 to Z2 effort so I usually stay nice and low on these. 1 hour 15 minutes run AHR - 139 @ 5.23 pace

Monday: Rest day

Tuesday Morning: With Pudsey beginning to sleep through the night (usually 11.00/11.30 to at least 6am) I have finally decided its time for Finks 21 in a row early mornings. So having not swam in over a week it was a dip your toes back in type of session, so fins and pull bouy and 1500ms of drills to get some type of form back.

Tuesday Evening:
    One hour of Z2 running, I always try and run at the top end of Z2 for the midweek runs but I found tonights tough and was very quickly having to go over 5 minute K's to get the heart rate under 155. 1 hour AHR = 152 and 5.08 pace

Wednesday Morning:
    Back to the swim sessions and with a recoil in horror of the main set being 4 x 400 off 7.15. I swiftly decided to do the session before that which I struggled on last week. So the main section in that was 5 x 200 with 100m active recovery after each set. Times were all around the 3.30 mark 3.30/3.29/3.27/3.27/3.20. While my speed is good I don't have very much endurance yet and I took those recovery's nice and easy. The first 6ish lengths or so of each set was just beautiful where you could feel the speed and good stroke but then the lactate hits every time and it becomes a war of attrition. I think I will leave that 4 x 400 until I am back in more regular swimming mode ;)

Wednesday Lunch:
    A frustrating brick session, I hope I left the Garmin fastener strap in the gym as I spent 10 minutes looking for it unsuccessfully. So a little bit blind as regards HR and having to cut the session short I cycled for 30 minutes and a 15 minute brick run. I had planned to do an easy turbo session tonight while watching the Gunners but Mrs C has put paid to that with some attic work

catweazle wrote: »
    So the main section in that was 5 x 200 with 100m active recovery after each set. Times were all around the 3.30 mark 3.30/3.29/3.27/3.27/3.20. While my speed is good I don't have very much endurance yet and I took those recovery's nice and easy. The first 6ish lengths or so of each set was just beautiful where you could feel the speed and good stroke but then the lactate hits every time and it becomes a war of attrition. I think I will leave that 4 x 400 until I am back in more regular swimming mode ;)

You are right, it is a beautiful thing when you feel the speed and good stroke...and you are probably relatively high in the water when it all comes together like that. The last 2 lengths will become equally beautiful in time. It's early yet. :)

• Advertisement

You are right, it is a beautiful thing when you feel the speed and good stroke...and you are probably relatively high in the water when it all comes together like that. The last 2 lengths will become equally beautiful in time. It's early yet. :)

High....yes thats a good description it is almost like I am on top of the water.

Alas its an 18m pool Dory so I am only around half way through at that stage - must make a 100m pb attempt one of the days though.

High....yes thats a good description it is almost like I am on top of the water.

Alas its an 18m pool Dory so I am only around half way through at that stage - must make a 100m pb attempt one of the days though.

Yes, with shorter distances and speed you want to be high in the water. Logically, the higher you are the less resistance there will be....and with increased speed (through faster kick and stronger stroke), your body should naturally become higher and glide across the surface.

Oops. Forgot about it only being an 18m pool. Still, you're doing grand. Can't wait to hear the 100m time when you get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Serious eh, "ride" there, CW...

Did you buy it as is or build it?

I'm looking at a pair of s80s at the moment...would be interested in how you decided on them.

Izoard wrote: »
    Serious eh, "ride" there, CW...

Did you buy it as is or build it?

I'm looking at a pair of s80s at the moment...would be interested in how you decided on them.

Bought it as is - It was pgibbo who put me on to it. It was a second hand bike from a guy who upgraded in the LBS to a top of the range bike. I met the bike shop owner in the local grocery shop who mentioned it would be one price for stock wheels and a higher price for the S80's on it. I was genuinely surprised at how competitive the price was as it was within budget with the help of Mrs C's unused bike to work scheme. I had my head fried with looking at bikes on ebay in the states and trying to get them to post here

He must love mugs like me, on the way in to view it with Mrs C, I snuck a phonecall into him saying put the S80's on it and make no mention of a cheaper option to Mrs C.

Hes a top cyclist so I did have a good chat with him about the wheels and he was fulsome in his praise of them, saying he very rarely gets anyone complaining or upgrading as they are more than enough wheel for most people. I suppose the other main thing for me was they were clinchers, while they would still take me 30 minutes + to change them if I got a flat at least I would get them changed eventually whereas changing a tub would put the fear of god in me.

And finally most important of all they are a damn good looking wheel, I have the cheap turbo wheels on it at the moment and the bike has nowhere near the same bling factor without the S80's. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Excellent tale- this is pretty much exactly how I would source another bike, with the minor exception of NOT involving Mrs I.
    My MO would involve a bike appearing in the shed and hoping confusion reigns :)

Well wear with it...

Thursday AM: 40 minutes on the turbo watching Ireland AM. Alas it is looking like I will have to go back to the attic and no TV before the weekend. However I have negotiated a TV for the attic at some stage but it will be a long way behind wardrobes and a couch in priority.

Thursday Lunch: Another 40 minutes on the turbo, 5 easy 5 hard.

Friday AM: A mainly kickboard set but there was a 1 x 400 with the pullbouy. There was a good looking young one in the lane beside me that was killing me all morning with the kickboard so I was out to get some respect when we turned to freestyle. She picked it up a bit when I went past her but I reckon she was holding back overall - a very good swimmer technically which is probably the first I have seen in this pool. Came in on 6.17 for the 400 with the pull buoy :confused:. I love my pull bouy but I may have miscounted as I wasn't pushing that hard.

Friday Evening: An hours Z2 run, I hope the kickboard was to blame as this was a real struggle. With no sign of the Polar strap I just decided to keep it as 5.00 pace and gradually let it drift out for the last few k with one eye on saturdays club duathlon

Saturday:
    This should have been a race report but it ends up being a triumph of poor preparation. The valve on the deep section back wheel was too small for my pump to get a grip on so I called around to Gibbo looking for a tube with an extended valve who didn't have any either. Finally twigged that the valve on the front was detachable so I was able to stick it on the back and pump it. Then no sign of my Zoots, found them out in the shed with about 100 pairs of high heels waiting for some type of shoe cupboard to go in the attic. Replaced the training wheel and was almost ready to go dog late and realized the skewer was missing, ran up and no sign of the skewer in the shoebox so that was that. Gave up and had a coffee and some scones instead, Mrs C rings and I tell her my predicament, "oh is that what that is, i stuck it up in the drawer in the corner of the attic". :mad:

Went down and marshalled instead, and was kinda glad. A very laid back race and none of the top guys from the club were racing so I would have been the only eejit with an aero helmet and a TT bike on the day, probably a bit overkill. I was going to do the long run but I had missed my training window so went home.

Sunday AM: A rare, rare outing outside for me at this time of year. Needed to toughen up and see what the TT bike is like so off I went. I found some type of Blue-seventy overshoes I got a while back and they were great for the feet while the layers of clothes I had were keeping me warm.

Few things I learned

1. Hard to go down on the TT bars when you have about 5 layers of clothing on
    2. A TT Bike has the turning capacity of an articulated lorry
    3. Although manageable I got a few gusts from the side which gave me a fright with the S80's. But it was a windy enough day and no real problems there
    4. A white bike is tough to keep white (baby wipes worked great here)

With the Garmin in the back pocket I was glad to see I ended up cycling 1.15 hours, I would have kept going if I knew as I was due to cycle 2 hours. While the pace was poor 2.22 minutes a k, I was pleased enough as i was taking it easy and stopped for a phonecall

Sunday Afternoon: With Mrs C off into town to meet the girls, I went up and finished off the cycle by doing another hour on the turbo and got a 40 minute brick run in at 5.21 pace AHR = 140. So it ended up being a good weeks training after all with no missed sessions. :)

Monday: Rest day - I spent a while debating would I enter Joey Hannon as that is when Fink reckons I should race an Olympic. But after the disasters of Nenagh and Joey Hannon from a few years ago I decided against it. I am just not used to swimming in lanes with people and I tend to panic

Tuesday: Pudsey slept right through till 7.30 so I knew I wasn't going to have time to get the swim set in so I went down and did a few drills instead. My initial suggestion of me setting the alarm earlier "just in case he sleeps in" was a suggestion I shouldn't have made ;) 1200m of mostly drills

Tuesday Lunch: A good run - the weather was crap and I dont like the discomfort of the higher end of zone 2. But was pleased to come in for 147 HR at 4.59 pace, I have been stuck on HR 152 for this run and pace for a few weeks now. Perhaps it was the shedding of a few layers of clothes as the weather is nice and mild. With me being in the office on monday I downloaded a few new dj sets so I had a Paul Oakenfold Planet Perfecto mix from a few years back which hit the spot

Wednesday AM:
    Pudseys back with a vengence this morning and my wake up call was 5.15am. He drifted in and out of sleep for another hour or so but neither of us were getting any so I got up and did the full swim session and was home comfortably before 9 for a change. The session was sneaky, a lot of 4 x 50s freesty;le and drills off different times and finished off with a 4 x 100 off 2.00, it didnt look hard on paper but I was blowing hard at the end of it. 2000m swim

Wednesday Lunch: Today was supposed to be a brick run but with it lashing outside I wasn't going out in it. A 40 minute session on the turbo with a HR of 124. Was delighted with this, went for a high rpm and I eventually found I got it up the 130's and stayed there without too much strain

Wednesday Evening: Mrs C asked me was I out for a run at lunch so I said no it was too wet (I omitted the turbo session as she didn't ask). So i got a pass for a sneaky 50 minute session on the turbo again. Didnt kill myself here, perhaps it was the guilt AHR = 112

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Classic stuff :D

3 sessions in one day. You're a man on a mission!

Did you get the green card for the Carraroe Duathlon? I hear that the "vet" is racing and I assume the "banker" will be too. ;)

pgibbo wrote: »
    Did you get the green card for the Carraroe Duathlon? I hear that the "vet" is racing and I assume the "banker" will be too. ;)

The banker is some man for the racing, he seems to be out every weekend!

I am not going to even ask her, shes out with the girls on the saturday and I have no doubt that will involve an early meal so I will be needed at headquarters babysitting

Thursday Am: After a small bit of indecision I decided to go with one more round of Interesteds middle distance plan. I would expect that before I finish this Pudsey will be in his own room and I will be finished the base and on to build so the timing will be good to bump the distances up . Main section of this is 8 x 108 off 2.20 and I was coming on on high 1.40's low 1.50's for these

Thursday Lunch: 30 minutes of high rpm on the turbo, kept it in the 130's for most of it. I can get to this heart rate spinning it out but the legs fail on a harder gear to keep it there AHR = 128

Thursday Evening: Managed to get another hour in on the turbo, episode 5 of Game of Thrones and its picking up. I have never seen so much doggystyle in my life, would take a bit of explaining to a young lad but I have a few years before the birds and the bees come up. AHR = 117

Friday Morning: Pudsey slept in again, I didn't mind too much as it was my 4th swim in a row. With loads of kickboard in the session and mindful of being late back for work and an always tough friday run. I just stuck in the pull buoy and swam, took it easy and my priority was to keep the bilateral breathing all the way through. I find it easy to keep up when I am going easy but any pace injection and I am back to 2nd stroke. The pull on my right hand is definitely weaker than the pull on my left. Nice and easy 18.34 for 1000, 37.19 for 2000 and came in for 2500 on 46.14, I was tempted to go for the 3k as I was comfortable but I would have to push it for time so I left it

Friday evening:
    I always dread the Z2 runs probably because unlike the cycling I know I can get to these heart rates and hold it. Almost always after 3k or so I start to enjoy it and today was no different. No Hr data picked up for the first three K but when it came on I was 148 at that stage - finished it in 152 average and 4.56 pace for the hour. Things are slowly improving - I seem to start daydreaming that I could put a serious dent into my HM time of 1.44.3x if I ever get around to one, its definitely soft

• Advertisement

Saturday AM: After trying to zap the lock on my car a few times to no avail, I realised that I must have inadvertently taken some poor lads keys from the dressing room the night before. Back to the gear bag and there was my set. Went down to drop them off and decided it would be foolish to not take advantage of a swim while I was there. After just having a big breakfast of eggs and toast to fuel a 3 hour bike ride I quickly binned the session after a fast 12 x 50 set for fear of puking. Total 1100m

Waterbabies was on beside me, which is something I am keen to get Pudsey on after his shots, however after seeing about 10 women and one slightly embarrassed fella spending the whole session singing Humpty Dumpty to his young lad, I am hoping Mrs C will be in charge there while I watch poolside proudly along with the other fathers

Saturday Lunch: I should have gone outdoors for the bike but I just wasnt organised enough and decided to watch the rugby instead. Boring game - but I enjoyed the England - Wales game after. 2.45 on the turbo with a 114 HR. Had to make a few stops during it so I would hope the true HR would have been nearer the 120's.

Sunday Morning: Took my time going for the run as Mrs C's head was tender from the girls night out. Went out at 12ish, I love the sunday run as it is an easier Z1/Z2 session so its more enjoyable. Finished 1.15 hours @ 5.19 pace and AHR = 136

Week 9 down with no missed sessions and a few extra swimming sessions thrown in :)

Monday: Rest day

Tuesday AM: Pudsey was moved into his own room over the weekend and its going well so far as he is sleeping away no problems in there. A little bit ******y but I miss having him in the cot beside me. Anyways I now have the opportunity to increase the swim distances so I will move up to the long distance sessions after this round of middle distance is complete.

Main set this morning consisted of 12 x 54 off 1.00 and then 8 x 54 off .55 seconds

Tuesday Evening: Always a tough run and this evenings was no different. Need to get a new pair of runners the Saucony and Lunarglides are beginning to feel like they have no spring anymore. 1 hour @ 4.58 pace AHR = 149

Wednesday AM:
    Left the swim too late this morning to complete the set so 2000m of drills with the fins stuck on me. Dont mind this too much as the set was tough and every 2nd day is more than enough.

Wednesday Evening:
    An hour on the turbo with a reasonable HR of 124 for the session

Thursday AM: This one is a tough session with the main set of 6 x 216 off 4.00 minutes. Held the first two fine and then started to drift slowly out on 3,4 and 5. Pushing off at the last 216 I needed to swim a 3.50 to get in at 24 minutes. Where often before I would give up and coast, I gritted the teeth and teeth and got in on 3.48. I felt ok as well, swimming better than I was in earlier sessions, the extra speed probably helped my body position. A small few drills before I dogged out a 6 x 54 off 55 seconds, these are easier for the mind as you can convince yourself you don't have to hold that pace for long unlike the earlier one. 18 lengths as opposed to 77 for earlier.

On another note the Humbert Challenge opened today and I am licking my lips looking at the entry list so far. The school friend is back in this year again so training must be going well for him. The vet is in as well although I will need him to consume some more of those dodgy gels to have any chance of staying with him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Some good training going on there! Maybe the "vet" and "school friend" will be in for a shock?

Took me a while to work out the length of the pool you were swimming in as I couldn't write in down as an algebric equation if I wanted to (I'm sure someone will).

Took me a while to work out the length of the pool you were swimming in as I couldn't write in down as an algebric equation if I wanted to (I'm sure someone will).

Damn 18m pool. I have been switching lengths to cater for the spreadsheet with my proper times on it. I gave up and just work off 54, 108, 216 and seeing as I am only 4m short of 400 I go 396 there rather than 432. With my Garmin left on one side of the pool it has to finish on a even number also

It might well be massaging my times with the extra kicks off the wall as opposed to the old 25m pool but at least its consistent times now that I can work off.

I've always had a fear that my pool is an 18m pool - the gym says it's a 20m pool but I've never actually measured it. It would be too depressing to think that I was actually 10% slower than I already think I am :o

Waterbabies was on beside me, which is something I am keen to get Pudsey on after his shots, however after seeing about 10 women and one slightly embarrassed fella spending the whole session singing Humpty Dumpty to his young lad, I am hoping Mrs C will be in charge there while I watch poolside proudly along with the other fathers

b0ll0cks! The 2 water babies classes I went to this year were the most enjoyable pool sessions I've ever had. Make sure you do at least one. It's an amazing experience IMO! :cool:

Thursday Evening: An easy Z1 hour of turbo with high rpm

Friday Evening:
    1 hour at 4.45 pace AHR = 149. With this plan I am more or less down to 3 runs a week at the moment which is a lot less than I am used to and I have been questioning it lately. For some reason something finally kicked in on this run, I set off and glanced at the Garmin after a couple of minutes and saw I was running at 3.58 pace after .6 of a k. I was surprised as I felt I was running as normal. Slowed it down and came in on the first k at 4.40 pace. HR staying nice and low and it was pretty effortless. Was ticking along nicely feeling great - came up to the usual drag up to the turn - I was listening to kaskades The Game album and after a soft enough opening the beat really started to kick in at this stage. I usually find I am out to 5.15/5.20 pace to keep HR in the mid 150's at this stage but my old raver days were coming back and with a few grunts of Go on and Come on I stayed on sub 5 min pace, HR still in mid 150's but at 4.55 pace. Back down and into the gym to finish and I was delighted to see 4.45 pace at HR of 149 overall. Thats about 10 seconds a k faster and 3 beats a minute slower than my previous best. Perhaps it can be explained as simply as no wooly hat for a change.

Saturday Afternoon:
    2 hours on the turbo - the plan wants 3 hours but through my own fault 2 hours was all I had. Finally dug out the old laptop so I had Game of Thrones on one laptop and an endurance session from the Turbo training website on the other. I could have done another 30 minutes but I was hitting the last episode of Game of Thrones and I didn't want to have to stop it half way through it. Am going to ban the TV from the midweek sessions from now on as there will be some injections of pace with the build phase

Sunday: It was Pudseys christening today and I could have gone out before the church for the LSR, but with monday being a rest day I decided it would be "appreciated" if I took sunday as the rest day instead and go out for a run on monday instead. Enjoyed the day - Mrs C gave the breastfeeding a day off and it was nice to crack open a nice bottle of wine when we got home after

So besides a long run tonight the base phase is over, before friday I would have questioned how well it suited me run and bike with less volume than I am used to but certainly after friday and 12+ks of comfortable 4.45 pace, I thought of my 45.01 10k pb and I reckon I will be looking to break that in Kilkee all going well.

Strangely for me looking forward to injecting a bit of pace with the build phase, its a long time since the heart rate was over 160

Be careful what you wish for! :D

How many weeks is your plan?

• Advertisement

How many weeks is your plan?

30 weeks

10 base / 10 build / 10 peak due to come into fruition for end of July for Humbert!

I have it on an excel file and will email it on to you later for Savageman ;)

(although perhaps a big European Ironman for next years SBR hoe smackdown with Oryx & Racoonqueen might be more appropriate)

Advertisement