Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zeiss or swarovski

• 29-03-2012 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

Lads, Im thinking of getting a good scope for a bit of stalking and fox shooting. Im looking at the swarovski z6 2.5-15x56 or zeiss victory 4-16x50. What do ye think? I've had a lot of scopes in the last few years and never really took to any of them. Are these scopes worth the money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭palo

Hello Silverfox.

It would be good if you could get out and see one by someone outside in the evening and by night. If you are intending to hold onto the scope for a while sure invest in one the hairs in the swaro are very fine for night shooting so make sure you get one withe the illumination dot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

palo wrote: »
    Hello Silverfox.

It would be good if you could get out and see one by someone outside in the evening and by night. If you are intending to hold onto the scope for a while sure invest in one the hairs in the swaro are very fine for night shooting so make sure you get one withe the illumination dot.

I know wat you mean about the swaro. I have a z3 and it has a fierce fine cross hair. Its ok for day hunting but not great for stalking. Its more suited to lamping. The glass is crystal clear though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭yukon

are you in kk city or in the county?

yukon wrote: »
    are you in kk city or in the county?
    Down the south east of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭4200fps

Toss a coin maybe as there both great quality sights. 56 lense should give greater light gathering i'd say with be an advantage too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

silverfox1 wrote: »
    Lads, Im thinking of getting a good scope for a bit of stalking and fox shooting. Im looking at the swarovski z6 2.5-15x56 or zeiss victory 4-16x50. What do ye think? I've had a lot of scopes in the last few years and never really took to any of them. Are these scopes worth the money?

Personally, I would go with a Zeiss, based on lineage. Why not throw in Schmidt and Bender?

Personally, I would go with a Zeiss, based on lineage. Why not throw in Schmidt and Bender?[/Quote]

Im leaning towards the zeiss myself. Im not in much of a rush so I'll wait and get a few more opinions and have a look around. I had 2 Schmidt and benders. A zenith and classic. Sorry i got rid of the zenith though. The classic was the 4-16x50 and was heavy out so it had to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

This two scopes are in general quite different and it is hard to compare them.

Swarovski is intended for hunting and hunting only. This is why it has capped turrets, which even uncapped are not the most user friendly. Hunters mostly zerro the rifle only once. For long range shots they do offer Ballistic turret for 3 preset distances which are easy to use. Compared to Victory FL 4-16x50 the glass is a bit worse and because of more complicated optical construction (6x zoom - 2.5-15x) light transmission rate in lower. On the other hand it offers way more wide field of view and more versatile magnification range. In short: for stalking this in probably better scope because of 2.5-15x magnification range and lower mass. For low light use and bullet drop compensation on the turrets the Victory FL is better.

About Ziess Victory FL I have to say that because of Fluoride glass it is optically one of the best scopes I have seen. Only March and Premier scopes are on the same level. The turrets are uncapped and great for dialing when needed, if you know the ballistic curve of your bullet and the distance to the target.

Both these scopes with reticle not illuminated are useless in low light since both reticles are too thin to be noticeable. Take my advice and go with the illuminated version of these scopes.

Both of these scopes are also worth the money and both of them are top quality. Which one to choose depends on what is more important for you. Stalking - Swarovski, Low light use and better turrets for bullet drop compensation - Zeiss.

If you are not fixed to these two scope I would also suggest you look at Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50 or Premier Hunting 3-15x50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭yukon

silverfox1 wrote: »

I am in kk city if you want to have a look trough the z6i give me a call and wee can meet somewhere in the evening .

• Advertisement

Yukon I'll take you up on that offer. Send me on your number and I'll give you a shout. Cheers. Thanks for the help lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

FISMA wrote: »
    Personally, I would go with a Zeiss, based on lineage. Why not throw in Schmidt and Bender?

Agree with 4200fps, a toss up really between any of the German & Austrian glass, but if talking lineage, Kahles, the first to make a rifle scope and my personal preferance for each of my rifles.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Kahles still has the know-how to make great scopes but in the hunting department they are sleeping last few years. On the other hand their new tactical K624i (6-24x56) and K312 II (3-12x50) are really good.

call 0868366119 thanks.[/Quote]

I'll give you a ring over the weekend. Cheers.

De_Tomaso wrote: »
    This two scopes are in general quite different and it is hard to compare them.

Swarovski is intended for hunting and hunting only. This is why it has capped turrets, which even uncapped are not the most user friendly. Hunters mostly zerro the rifle only once. For long range shots they do offer Ballistic turret for 3 preset distances which are easy to use. Compared to Victory FL 4-16x50 the glass is a bit worse and because of more complicated optical construction (6x zoom - 2.5-15x) light transmission rate in lower. On the other hand it offers way more wide field of view and more versatile magnification range. In short: for stalking this in probably better scope because of 2.5-15x magnification range and lower mass. For low light use and bullet drop compensation on the turrets the Victory FL is better.

About Ziess Victory FL I have to say that because of Fluoride glass it is optically one of the best scopes I have seen. Only March and Premier scopes are on the same level. The turrets are uncapped and great for dialing when needed, if you know the ballistic curve of your bullet and the distance to the target.

Both these scopes with reticle not illuminated are useless in low light since both reticles are too thin to be noticeable. Take my advice and go with the illuminated version of these scopes.

Both of these scopes are also worth the money and both of them are top quality. Which one to choose depends on what is more important for you. Stalking - Swarovski, Low light use and better turrets for bullet drop compensation - Zeiss.

i very rarely use the turrets on a scope. Its normally just zero and forget about it because i haven't the time to practice enough to work out the bullet drop at longer ranges. Having said that id like to have the option. That's why Im leaning towards zeiss. Thanks again for the info lads.

Advertisement