Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Educate Together

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

7upfree wrote: »
    Have you actually read the history of our country? And what happened BEFORE independence? We were under the cosh - plain and simple. A manufactured famine. We should now have a population of twelve million. The British/English did all they could to crush the Catholic (majority) population underfoot.

Were it not for the likes of Ed Rice and Nano Nagle God nows what would have become of us. Short memories indeed.

So Ireland has been in charge of its own affairs for how many years? How long do you reckon it will take to get a handle on things?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Have you actually read the history of our country? And what happened BEFORE independence? We were under the cosh - plain and simple. A manufactured famine. We should now have a population of twelve million. The British/English did all they could to crush the Catholic (majority) population underfoot.

Were it not for the likes of Ed Rice and Nano Nagle God nows what would have become of us. Short memories indeed.

I might ask you the same question and this time take off the green tinted glasses.

I am in no way defending the British record in Ireland . But the educarion system the pertains in Britain is a evolution of the education system created in the late 19th century and the same was on offer here.

The catholic church vetoed that on religious grounds and created this false dichotomy of no eductation or religious education - it is simply not correct. Just look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

In Portlaw? Seriously?:rolleyes:

No, I'm pretty sure 98% of this village IS Catholic. Just because I live in Portlaw doesn't mean I don't know people outside of the village, ffs.

However, if we wanted our daughter to go there she'd be at the bottom of the list because she isn't baptized.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

marienbad wrote: »
    I might ask you the same question and this time take off the green tinted glasses.

I am in no way defending the British record in Ireland . But the educarion system the pertains in Britain is a evolution of the education system created in the late 19th century and the same was on offer here.

The catholic church vetoed that on religious grounds and created this false dichotomy of no eductation or religious education - it is simply not correct. Just look it up.

Don't need to. The majority of our modern-day ancestors would not of had an education only for the religious. Try looking it up yourself.

Cabaal wrote: »
    As we've already discussed...(since you appear to have missed it)

Many schools up and down the country won't let kids into schools that are not baptized....so in short if a parent doesn't go with the whole religious thing they often have no choice of school for their kids education (unless they travel much further afield).

No parent should feel pressured into getting their kid baptized etc, especially just to get a education, but thats the way it is in modern Ireland where church and state are supposed to be separate.

Sorry, doesnt cut it IMHO. You have the mod crying for the church's head.....then wanting to be facilitated by religious schools. All hot air. As usual.

• Advertisement

Don't need to. The majority of our modern-day ancestors would not of had an education only for the religious. Try looking it up yourself.

That doesn't mean Ireland owes them anything. The "religious" have a lot to answer for in this country as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

It's a pity the critics of Religious schools don't grow a pair and stop the children from receiving. Or attending. They'll moan moan moan, and criticise, but do nothing.

I agree that people should be a lot more forthright in their convictions instead of saying one thing and doing another. It is clear however that there is an increasing number of non-religious parents sending their children to educate together schools (the entire topic of this thread!) where they receive a balanced instruction with regard to religion. There are also an increasing number of parents who choose to exercise their Constitutional right for their children to "opt out" of religious instruction in denomination schools. Again however, religious authorities cannot play by the rules and often they don't comply with the parents' requests.

There has also been extensive litigation in the High Court and Supreme Court in the case of Campaign to Separate Church and State v Minister for Education where the current state support of denomination schooling was questioned and ultimately defeated.

While we're on the subject of "growing a pair", there are plenty of religious people whom I would love to see "grow a pair" regarding their children's religious education. The Catholic Church in this country has been responsible for the systematic, repeated and remorseless rape of thousands upon thousands of innocent children, and the torture and murder of countless others. How have they responded? With lies, deceit, legal action to try and block commissions of inquiry, silence, failure to respond and co-operate with tribunals, and insulting victims (e.g. the assertion to Michael O' Brien that he was "in it for the money" and graphically inappropriate and irrelevant questions to Brendan Boland in the 1970s.).

In fact, the current head of the Catholic Church in Ireland, Sean Brady was the chief investigator of a case of rape involving Fr. Brendan Smith in the 1970's. Brady didn't do anything about it, never informed the Gardai, the police in Northern Ireland, the victims parents or anyone else for that matter. His criminal negligence and complicity resulted in hundreds other children being raped by Brendan Smyth. Where is Sean Brady now? Yes, that's right, the head of the Catholic Church in Ireland. This is the organisation by which Irish Catholics wish their children to be educated in spiritual and moral issues? And then they criticise non-Catholics for not indoctrinating their children into this cult and paedophile ring. Why don't religious people grow a pair and exercise some basic human morals? People like that are hypocrites of the highest order and make me sick.
    In fact you are speaking out of what you're sitting on. There isn't a rural school in Ireland that would ever turn down someone looking to enroll their child. It's always a struggle to keep numbers up to the level required to keep the teachers they have. Hence the rolleyes here's one for you as well.:rolleyes: Just so that you don't feel left out.

I'm talking out of my arse? Well, if that's the case, perhaps you could explain why Catholic schools (both rural and urban) demand to see a child's baptismal cert before they allow them to be enrolled? This is something that is well documented, having been discussed on several television and radio debates, as I said. That is, of course, if you follow such things in the media. I look forward to your reply.

http://iedigitaldebate.appspot.com/health-education/baptismal-certs-schools/

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2009/12/01/printall.asp
    This is because of overcrowding and the schools, for the first time, having to ration places on the basis of baptismal certificates and household bills.
    Many parents nowadays have their children baptised primarily to ensure that they can get into primary schools in their locality where Catholic church baptismal certificates are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I'm talking out of my arse? Well, if that's the case, perhaps you could explain why Catholic schools (both rural and urban) demand to see a child's baptismal cert before they allow them to be enrolled? This is something that is well documented, having been discussed on several television and radio debates, as I said. That is, of course, if you follow such things in the media. I look forward to your reply.

http://iedigitaldebate.appspot.com/health-education/baptismal-certs-schools/

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2009/12/01/printall.asp

You're the one making the case that it happens. I can't prove a negative. The 2 links your provided are useless one or two relevant and useful links would help your case. Political party leaders not answering a question in one and the other some sort of random link to what looks like minutes from the Dail from Dec'09.
    Cabaal wrote:
    Your assumption is very wide spread, not all rural schools are crying out for extra kids so instead they can pick and choose. Not all rural schools are 20miles away from the nearest house you know wink.gif

The school my kids attend is about 5mins drive or 3 miles from my house. There are 3 other schools within 3 miles of it. There are at least 7 schools within 5 miles of my house and I would estimate a minimum of 30 within your 20 mile radius. Rural and remote are not nessecarily the same thing although I know that certain urban dwellers are inclined to get nose bleeds as they pass the bourough boundary due to the percieved bleakness and remoteness once the street lighting runs out.

Honestly you would think that the catholic church was running a series of catholic Madrasah across the country. Where did the posters who are so vehement in their opposition go to school? I must have gone to a strange type of institution i don't remember much indoctrination or ramming or forcing of teachings down my throat as many contend. I do remember one female teacher during religion class in the (CBS) school I attended in the '80s when addressing the issue of abortion coming out with a gem about presenting a priest with the result of a miscarrige at 3-4 months and asking him to baptise it. I'm afraid she failed to convert me I'm still totally anti-abortion.

Are people really telling me that the situation has "disimproved" since then, that teachers will no longer express their real opinions on this type of subject? That the control exerted by the catholic church has increased in the intervening 20-25 years. I really doubt this is the case. There's quite a degree on knee jerking and harking back to '70s "radical" politics a kind of inverse McCarthyism. Instead of reds under the bed we now have priests in the suppy closet as the enemy du jour. There's about as much reality underpinning this campagin as there was during the McCarthy purges and just as high a likelyhood that good people will be hurt in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Where did the posters who are so vehement in their opposition go to school?

I was sent to a convent school until age 10. Only changed because we moved. I remember my school days up to the age of 10 with absolute horror. I remember being beaten til I pissed on myself and then screamed at for being a dirty little girl. I remember with clarity the utter cruelty of some of the nuns. I also remember the pointless religious posturing, processions, films, cleaning up of the grotto for May the month of Mary. Even at a very young age I was asking questions and being told not to ask such things. Ridiculous.

Strangely, my father had been beaten and even hospitalised by christian brothers himself yet sent us to religious orders schools. My brother was in a neighbouring christian brothers and suffered a stress related condition that cleared up when he changed school after our move.

Anyway, I just wanted to make the point that in the past the best education was available from schools run by religious orders so my parents thought they were doing the next best to a private education for us, despite the beatings. Its not like that today. Also my parents wouldnt have been educated enough themselves to ask questions as to the silliness of religion, society was simply different. Cultural change happens over generations and currently the catholic church do not have the stranglehold over this country that they did in the past.

Its a good thing that there is a move against religion in schools, it is progression as a society and a reflection of the higher education of the populace as a whole.

There are many examples reported in the media and online where examples of school selection policies being based on a baptismal cert are well documented.

I dont think anyone has any issue with catholic schools, as privately run institutions. Its the tax payers purse funding the nonsense thats the issue. The reference to McCarthyism is a bit hysterical tbh, its simply that it state funded institutions for educating children shouldnt be peddling myth and superstition as fact.

• Advertisement

I was sent to a convent school until age 10. Only changed because we moved. I remember my school days up to the age of 10 with absolute horror. I remember being beaten til I pissed on myself and then screamed at for being a dirty little girl. I remember with clarity the utter cruelty of some of the nuns. I also remember the pointless religious posturing, processions, films, cleaning up of the grotto for May the month of Mary. Even at a very young age I was asking questions and being told not to ask such things. Ridiculous.

Strangely, my father had been beaten and even hospitalised by christian brothers himself yet sent us to religious orders schools. My brother was in a neighbouring christian brothers and suffered a stress related condition that cleared up when he changed school after our move.

Anyway, I just wanted to make the point that in the past the best education was available from schools run by religious orders so my parents thought they were doing the next best to a private education for us, despite the beatings. Its not like that today. Also my parents wouldnt have been educated enough themselves to ask questions as to the silliness of religion, society was simply different. Cultural change happens over generations and currently the catholic church do not have the stranglehold over this country that they did in the past.

Its a good thing that there is a move against religion in schools, it is progression as a society and a reflection of the higher education of the populace as a whole.

There are many examples reported in the media and online where examples of school selection policies being based on a baptismal cert are well documented.

I dont think anyone has any issue with catholic schools, as privately run institutions. Its the tax payers purse funding the nonsense thats the issue. The reference to McCarthyism is a bit hysterical tbh, its simply that it state funded institutions for educating children shouldnt be peddling myth and superstition as fact.

I'm sorry for your trouble no child should ever have to endure that. I doubt if anything like it continues today as I saw little of it 25 years ago. I did see lay teachers hand out a few hidings over the years despite the fact that corporal punishment had been officially banned.

There's nothing hysterical about the McCarthy reference. The comparison is quite valid, despite the fact that the churches influence has almost waned totally within schools many commentators keep seeing some sort of dead hand influencing every facet of schools management. The teachers I deal with are well qualified professionals who generally do their jobs well with no reference to any priest. And why would they? when at worst parents and teachers make up at least 50% of the board of management.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/primary_and_post_primary_education/going_to_primary_school/boards_of_management.html

As I said reds under the bed interchangeable with priests in the supply store.

well all I can say is - it is a poor education if this is your idea of history :)

I'm sorry for your trouble no child should ever have to endure that. I doubt if anything like it continues today as I saw little of it 25 years ago. I did see lay teachers hand out a few hidings over the years despite the fact that corporal punishment had been officially banned.

There's nothing hysterical about the McCarthy reference. The comparison is quite valid, despite the fact that the churches influence has almost waned totally within schools many commentators keep seeing some sort of dead hand influencing every facet of schools management. The teachers I deal with are well qualified professionals who generally do their jobs well with no reference to any priest. And why would they? when at worst parents and teachers make up at least 50% of the board of management.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/primary_and_post_primary_education/going_to_primary_school/boards_of_management.html

As I said reds under the bed interchangeable with priests in the supply store.

Try changing any significant policy or being openly gay or in one case recently going out with a married man and you will soon the reds as you called them coming out from under the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I had to provide baptismal certs when I enrolled my children in primary school.

I don't think religious schools should be abolished but I think some of them need to be handed over to the state and cater for those who do not want a specific religious ethos in a school. It's not just pupils that can be negatively affected by a religious based school, teachers can be discriminated based on the sexuality.

Try changing any significant policy or being openly gay or in one case recently going out with a married man and you will soon the reds as you called them coming out from under the bed.

Where is this happening? The cohort of parents esp in primary school is under 40 better educated than any group in this country's history more liberal in general than ever before and your contention is that teachers personal lives are a problem. There are procedures for changing policies within a school. The fact that you think something is "a plan" doesn't automatically mean it'll sail through.

"its simply that it state funded institutions for educating children shouldnt be peddling myth and superstition as fact."

Honestly, this is all that needs to be said about religion in the classroom. Any other argument is part of the hold that Catholicism as tradition as opposed to actual lifestyle and the "sure its always been and never did me any harm" (even though it likely did) mentality. It's needless. The sad thing is that most of the parents sending their kids to Catholic school without complaint kind of want their kids to have religious education but know they wouldn't go out of their way to give it to them otherwise, most likely because they themselves don't go to mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Not particularly religious but don't see the harm in children attending a Catholic school if it is closer and more convenient than an ET. I also think Catholic children should go to an ET if it is the local school. Children need to learn about all different religions. If they are not from a practicing family can they not take the moral aspect of the 'stories'? Eg being kind, sharing, thankful etc. I have never heard of a primary school telling pupils that they will go to hell if they don't believe. Take what is offered in your child's area and focus on supporting the aspects of their education which are important to them. Help with reading, writing and the likes and don't worry too much about a few stories, if that is what you take the bible to mean.

vamos, if you have read the thread, you can see that many of us do not appreciate any one religion being taught with the same veracity as maths and science.

And to be quite honest, I don't find the moralities of the bible particularly promising. There is plenty of great literature they can delve into in English if they want stories about morality. I don't need my kids thinking they are "fallen" before they ever try.

well all I can say is - it is a poor education if this is your idea of history :)

Phew. And there was me thinking you knew what you were talking about. Head, sand, etc.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

vamos, if you have read the thread, you can see that many of us do not appreciate any one religion being taught with the same veracity as maths and science.

And to be quite honest, I don't find the moralities of the bible particularly promising. There is plenty of great literature they can delve into in English if they want stories about morality. I don't need my kids thinking they are "fallen" before they ever try.

In the same way that I want my children to learn a number of foreign languages while they are still young. I could choose to send them to the French school in Dublin if I choose to pay and travel. Or I could insist that the entire primary education system is based around my wishes...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

vamos! wrote: »
    In the same way that I want my children to learn a number of foreign languages while they are still young. I could choose to send them to the French school in Dublin if I choose to pay and travel. Or I could insist that the entire primary education system is based around my wishes...

How is this a relevant point to the discussion? French is not myth and superstition. Would you send your child to a state funded school that taught Creationism as fact? Or Scientology? The point is that religion has no place in a state funded institution. This does not prevent parents from giving religious instruction to children. They can do so outside of school hours.

And I agree that children need to learn about all different religions, but that is not the same thing as religious indoctrination in one specific religion that is presented as fact. I mean, I dont understand where the gap in understanding is here, can people really be obtuse enough not to see the difference between learning about the existance of a number of different religions and religious instruction in one religion?

Phew. And there was me thinking you knew what you were talking about. Head, sand, etc.;)

Have you forgotten about the time when catholics were forbidden to go to Trinity and in the rare exceptions permission was required from Archbishop McQuade himself ?

It is not that education was denied to us by the British it is that a catholic education was denied to us.

You really should read up on it- a fascinating story- Newman/The Catholic University/Rice etc .

Much more nuanced that your black and white victim version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Hi OP, looks like you stirred up a right hornets nest.

To start with I don't live in Waterford so can't comment on the individual school in question but have a daughter who just finished 6th class in an ET school in Dublin.

Our local primary school is an all girls school that is run by an order of nuns. The first reason we chose not to send her there was the girls only thing, we don't live in a single sex world so we don't think a single sex education was best for our daughter.

The second was the religious issue, as atheists my partner and I wanted a rounded religious education for her rather than an indoctrination in to one particular religion. In her 8 years there she has visited a mosque, hindu temple, catholic and Protestant church's and a synagogue. The educate together system is not anti religion just does not focus on any individual one.

We found the relationship between teachers and students was a lot more open and easy than other schools. I'm basing this on talking to nephews, nieces and friends kids so no scientific basis for it.

The kids in our daughters class appeared to behave because they didn't want to let the teacher, who they call by there first name or their class mates down rather than the prospect of getting into trouble. That's not to say they were all little "angles" or anything.

The rest of the basic education, English,maths etc is the very same as any other school, the same curriculum, same books, same tests.

All in all our experience and our daughter's was a very positive productive one, having said that we have only anicdotal experience of other schools.

Hope this helps.

Rusty.

Have you forgotten about the time when catholics were forbidden to go to Trinity and in the rare exceptions permission was required from Archbishop McQuade himself ?

It is not that education was denied to us by the British it is that a catholic education was denied to us.

You really should read up on it- a fascinating story- Newman/The Catholic University/Rice etc .

Much more nuanced that your black and white victim real life version.

FYP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

The faith based school system in this country is bigoted and discriminatory.
    - Teachers (employees) can be discrimated against because of their beliefs or sexual orientation.
    This is the only workplace that allows such archaic laws.
    This is not a good example to show children.
    If you support a faith based school you automatically support this discrimination!!!

The fact that this system is funded by the tax payers is a joke.
    And when the religious cry "we're tax payers too", do they want this discriminatory system to be introduced into EVERY workplace.

That would be mad, Ted :)

If in 2012 we just arrived on the island of Ireland and had to set up a school system, would we come up with the present system??
    I think not.

If all schools were closed in the morning and all children had to be home schooled, how many parents would ensure that their children received the full amount of religious "instruction" as well as the 3Rs.
    They don't even bring them to a religious service once a week.

Parents who insist on religious "education" for their children, but do not practice the religion themselves, or believe in the majority of its tenets, are just hypocrites.

As for those unbelievers who baptise their children in the hope of getting into a school... these people are just sheep!!!

You're the one making the case that it happens. I can't prove a negative. The 2 links your provided are useless one or two relevant and useful links would help your case. Political party leaders not answering a question in one and the other some sort of random link to what looks like minutes from the Dail from Dec'09.

Of course, I'm not asking you to prove a negative. Those links highlight acceptance of the fact that denomination primary schools often demand to see a baptismal cert before they will enroll a child in the school. There is no official report (court judgment, government report, etc) on this so all we have to go on is what is reported and documented in other areas, such as political debates and anecdotal evidence (lots of it, including 1 person in this thread) in the public domain.

I never said that schools were turning away non-Catholics, I said it was likely to happen. The reason I say this is because schools are often demanding to see a baptismal cert. Do you dispute this? If not, why else would a school demand to see a baptismal cert confirming that the child's religion (which is of course forced upon them with the child having no choice or even awareness in the matter) is the same as the school's religion, knowing that they have a legal right to refuse that child admission to the school if they are of a different religion, as per section 7(3)(c) of the Equal Status Act 2000?

I think we can do with a little bit of light relief on this thread.
    I just came across this on broadsheet.ie :D
    http://gavinbeattie.bigcartel.com/product/i-only-got-baptised-art-print

Of course, I'm not asking you to prove a negative. Those links highlight acceptance of the fact that denomination primary schools often demand to see a baptismal cert before they will enroll a child in the school. There is no official report (court judgment, government report, etc) on this so all we have to go on is what is reported and documented in other areas, such as political debates and anecdotal evidence (lots of it, including 1 person in this thread) in the public domain.

I never said that schools were turning away non-Catholics, I said it was likely to happen. The reason I say this is because schools are often demanding to see a baptismal cert. Do you dispute this? If not, why else would a school demand to see a baptismal cert confirming that the child's religion (which is of course forced upon them with the child having no choice or even awareness in the matter) is the same as the school's religion, knowing that they have a legal right to refuse that child admission to the school if they are of a different religion, as per section 7(3)(c) of the Equal Status Act 2000?

The links highlght F all. There is no official report as you say and anecdotes aren't a solid basis for any action never mind changing a law.

If I was on a school board of management or a trustee I'd hate to be relying on that section to cover me in not accepting a four year olds admission to my school. The burden of proof is on the school to show

"that the refusal" (of a four year olds admission) "is essential to maintain the ethos of the school,".

Section 7(3)(c) would not be helpinhg me sleep soundly at night. But I will admit that it is a disgrace that such a section exists. Section 7(3) has little to recommend it.

The links highlght F all. There is no official report as you say and anecdotes aren't a solid basis for any action never mind changing a law.

If I was on a school board of management or a trustee I'd hate to be relying on that section to cover me in not accepting a four year olds admission to my school. The burden of proof is on the school to show

"that the refusal" (of a four year olds admission) "is essential to maintain the ethos of the school,".

Section 7(3)(c) would not be helpinhg me sleep soundly at night. But I will admit that it is a disgrace that such a section exists. Section 7(3) has little to recommend it.

Your wilful ignorance is astounding. It’s been highlighted by literally thousands of parents (including 1 on this thread) that they have needed to provide baptismal certs to the school. It’s been discussed in numerous public debates on religion in schools (some of which I posted links to – I can’t find the FrontLine episode where it was discussed). Yet, you’re simply saying all this anecdotal evidence is nonsense and you don’t believe those parents? You want an official report which doesn’t exist before you will consider whether what they are saying is the truth or not? You are purposefully burying your head in the sand.

I never said the law needs to be changed based on necessity for baptismal certs by denominational schools. What I do feel is that it is the Equal Status Act as I’ve pointed out which allowed them to act like this, and this discriminatory legislation is basis enough for changing the law, imo.

Just out of curiousity, since you demand an official report before you accept anything, did you think that the catholic church didn’t have a policy of covering up sex abuse and protecting paedophile priests, until the publication of the Murphy, Ryan and similar reports?

• Advertisement

Your wilful ignorance is astounding. It’s been highlighted by literally thousands of parents (including 1 on this thread) that they have needed to provide baptismal certs to the school. It’s been discussed in numerous public debates on religion in schools (some of which I posted links to – I can’t find the FrontLine episode where it was discussed). Yet, you’re simply saying all this anecdotal evidence is nonsense and you don’t believe those parents? You want an official report which doesn’t exist before you will consider whether what they are saying is the truth or not? You are purposefully burying your head in the sand.

I never said the law needs to be changed based on necessity for baptismal certs by denominational schools. What I do feel is that it is the Equal Status Act as I’ve pointed out which allowed them to act like this, and this discriminatory legislation is basis enough for changing the law, imo.

Just out of curiousity, since you demand an official report before you accept anything, did you think that the catholic church didn’t have a policy of covering up sex abuse and protecting paedophile priests, until the publication of the Murphy, Ryan and similar reports?

Don't put words in my mouth I haven't even suggested that anyone was lying but that doesn't change the fact that anecdotes are not a sound basis for changing/introducing any law whether it be to do with education or price controls for space shuttle parts. If things were being done half right such a report could be compiled by christmas. Form a group composed of representatives from the main parent groups, the teachers unions, primary principals association no more than one politician maybe a senior civil servant. You then invite submissions from parents detailing instances where enrollment was refused or delayed, which according to you are legion, complete with any documentation to support the claims if there's a case to answer and a change to the law is obviously needed then that's when you proceed.

I don't understand your second paragraph are you saying that the law does need to be changed or not. I think it does tbh. As I said it's a disgrace that such a section is in law especially in relation to children. Something to think about though is that, if as educate together take control of more schools over the coming years as Ruairi Quinn plans the boards of those schools make have to take refuge behind that same section in cases where they suspect groups fundamentalists of whatever religion might be trying to undermine the ethos of their schools. It's not as far fetched as you might think.

I don't demand an official report before I accept anything I simply believe it's prudent especially in relation to changing or introducing legislation. The evidence that the catholic church had such a policy had been accepted by the courts for years in numerous cases before those reports were published. I was completely clear in my mind on that subject because this was literally tried and tested evidence. If you are reduced to using paedophile priests as an argument on religion you know you are losing the debate.

Advertisement