Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of a cold sore FAST?

• 14-11-2006 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭

I shaved a few days ago and fell into habit of licking my lips(i've stopped now and was using vasaline). I woke up this morning to the beginning of a cold sore. Is it at all possible to get rid of cold sores within say 50 hours? i'm using your usual cold sore cream

other tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ice is good for killing the germs or so I'm told. It works for me anyway. Get an ice cube and hold it against it. Don't hold it for too long or you'll damage the skin. I just hold it against it til it's uncomfortable, take it away for a moment and re-apply. Works wonders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Rub womens perfume or aftershave to it repeatly, it will sting like hell but will kill the nasty little thing. I have had three this year and I swear I feel like covering my head with a paper bag when i get one they are so annoying.

Zovirax is good but is like between €10 & €12 for a tiny tube which will only treat one attack. I just get generic Aciclovir called Acic 5% cream was only around €6 it is basically Zovirax in everything but name, get that and teach those b*stards in GlaxoSmithKline a lesson.

Linky for Acic Plus it is made in Ireland down in Bantry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I find zovirax can make it worse once the cold sore has matured, it makes the skin soft and prone to cracking and you can end up with a scab which looks worse. I still haven't found anything that helps, zovirax is good when you feel the tingle but once it's out I let it run it's course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

netwhizkid wrote:
    Rub womens perfume or aftershave to it repeatly, it will sting like hell but will kill the nasty little thing. I have had three this year and I swear I feel like covering my head with a paper bag when i get one they are so annoying.

Zovirax is good but is like between €10 & €12 for a tiny tube which will only treat one attack. I just get generic Aciclovir called Acic 5% cream was only around €6 it is basically Zovirax in everything but name, get that and teach those b*stards in GlaxoSmithKline a lesson.

Thanks for that, never saw it for sale before but I will ask the local chemist to get it in for me.

I have used the compeed (sp?) small circular patches. They are only alright. I put one on one day and put make up over it (like the add says). A child at my daughter's school asked me what was on my lip :D . They tell it like it is. Then when I went to take it off it pulled the skin off with it, the pain:mad: .

Do not kiss any children when you have it. I got it from my mother and hope not to pass it on, but it is so hard not to kiss my children, very unnatural given their ages 2, 3 and 7.

To the Op hope it gets better soon.

Edit to add that there is a supplement that you get at health food stores to stop an outbreak. Think it called Lysine or something like that. Either Google it or ask at a health food store.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

jester77 wrote:
    I find zovirax can make it worse once the cold sore has matured, it makes the skin soft and prone to cracking and you can end up with a scab which looks worse. I still haven't found anything that helps, zovirax is good when you feel the tingle but once it's out I let it run it's course.

Zovirax does nothing unless you apply it as soon as you feel a sore appearing. It's meant to stop them developing. Once it developes you may as well chuck the zovirax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

there is nothing worse than a coldsore!! god i hate them, You can get tablets called L-Lycine wich are good to help prevent them and will also speed up the recovery process.. also if you have a bottle of oozo (strong alcoholic drink) put some of that on it and it will dry that mother right out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

Cymex cream - 10 times better than zovirax and less than half the price ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Shifted to F&A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭damiennolan

humanji wrote:
    Zovirax does nothing unless you apply it as soon as you feel a sore appearing. It's meant to stop them developing. Once it developes you may as well chuck the zovirax.

Agreed, I suffer from regular coldsores around the winter period due to the cold and wind etc.

Zovirax only really works if you use if from the moment you feel the tingle.
    Even if there is nothing visible or it might be a spot/pimple just use it.
    If its not a coldsore, there is more or less no reaction to the Zovirax so i know I'm safe! No harm done.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Cover it in a thick layer of vaseline. It'l stop it from drying out and prevent germs attacking it. The ice thing works too, goes straight to scab n peel final stage. eughh....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Femmy wrote:
    there is nothing worse than a coldsore!! god i hate them, You can get tablets called L-Lycine wich are good to help prevent them and will also speed up the recovery process.. also if you have a bottle of oozo (strong alcoholic drink) put some of that on it and it will dry that mother right out..

I second this, L-Lycine is a godsend! And you get a load of tablets in a bottle too, they're very good for treating coldsores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Lil Kitten wrote:
    Cover it in a thick layer of vaseline. It'l stop it from drying out and prevent germs attacking it. The ice thing works too, goes straight to scab n peel final stage. eughh....

Once i put vaseline on mine and the damn thing spread, ive always noticed that any sores i had, vaseline spread them.

Unfortunately i dont think there is a magical known cure for coldsores. I never get them on my lips though, always on my chin or over my top lip. They are horrible for a girl who has to wear make-up!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

i didnt think anyone would have my sugestion - lemon juice! not the bottled stuff but an actual lemon, stings like hell but the acid kills the little fecker goodo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

A pair of pliers? I've tried nearly everything else. Nothing really works:(

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

netwhizkid wrote:

Don't rub perfume or aftershave into it!!!!! My friend did it, burnt the face off herself and the coldsore tripled in size

Don't do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Once or twice a yr i get cold sores...From sun,stress,shaving.With zovirax i would have a cold sore for 2 weeks..I started to use carmex(small lip balm tub) 3-4 euro and cold sore gone in 7 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 dennymac

pick at it till it bleeds. let scab form... leave it alone and try not to crack scab and it will be gone in 3 or 4 days... i know it sounds mingin but it works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

dennymac wrote:
    pick at it till it bleeds. let scab form... leave it alone and try not to crack scab and it will be gone in 3 or 4 days... i know it sounds mingin but it works

Doesnt work for me.
    CARMEX :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aileen275

When it turns into a scab do you leave it to fall off? I need my cold sore gone by tomorrow because I'm going to a fun fair with a bunch of friends!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Aileen275

I put ice on my cold sore it doesn't make it smaller or go away, but it stopped it from tingling and it felt like it wasn't even there! Don't try to cover up your cold sore with make up!!!! I did that, was the biggest mistake! When I covered it with foundation it got infected and got worse!! Try one of those skin coloured patches because I doubt tablets or creams would work when the cold sore has broken out��✌️

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

This thread is from 2006. Please don't bump really old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement