Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it ctake for a cheque to clear?

• 18-05-2006 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Just wondering - if i cash a cheque in a pub -say saturday - they lodge it in their bank on Monday.

When will it clear (presuming they are not the same bank as me)???

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

3-5 working days!! Might be quicker for a business tho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

A cheque lodged in a bank generally takes 5 working days to be cleared and credited to the account it was lodged into.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think it's 5 working days. But it can be longer if the pub doesn't bring the cheque to the bank straight away. They may do it at the end of the month for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Depends.

If the pub cashes or lodges the cheque in the same bank branch as the account the cheque is drawn from then it could clear immediately. At some banks (Permanent TSB for example), they may credit the payee's account immediately on lodgement while waiting for the cheque to clear (meaning the funds don't leave the payer's account immediately).

Generally it takes 3 to 5 working days for cheques to clear and for the funds to leave the payers account.

Generally, also, it's not a good idea to write a cheque when the funds to cover the value of it aren't yet in your account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Debbio69

from what i have experienced, it can take 5-7 working days :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cantona92

So if its lodged by the bank on Monday and it takes say three days it'd clear on Thursday? or wednesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭josh68

if i lodged a cheque on tuesday just gone when should it be available funds in my account it was a bank of ireland cheque lodged in an aib account

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

FFS, what Pub still takes cheques????

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

josh68 wrote: »
    if i lodged a cheque on tuesday just gone when should it be available funds in my account it was a bank of ireland cheque lodged in an aib account

This thread is from 2006, please don't bump old threads.

Try Banking & Insurance & Pensions, please read their charter before posting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement