Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nurses and tattoos

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Hi OP,

I am a midwife and I have palm sized tattoos on the inside of both my wrists. I wore a long sleeved dress to my interview before I started my studies and only once one of my clinical tutors asked me about covering them up. I told her I had no problem doing so, if they could provide me with a clean way to do so - as said already on here there is a bare below the elbow policy and it cannot be done.

I have also got a half sleeve and my new uniforms allow it to peep out but no-one has commented. I've found that the people I look after say nothing unless it's positive, I've never had an issue.

A few other girls in my class had small inner wrist tattoos and I've met newer students with tattoos on their forearms.

Don't worry about it. Do well in your exams and look forward to an exciting career in nursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 king909

I wouldnt worry one bit about a small tattoo on your wrist. Im a student nurse and a significant number of my classmates have such tattoos or ones on the back of there neck. None have ever had an issue about their tattoos and have never been asked to hide them.

Those in charge of nurses pay more attention to nail polish and excessive amounts of makeup then the odd visible tattoo.

Im a final year student in a big dublin hospital and have spent another 7 years working in a different large dublin hospital. I dont have any visible tattoos myself but i have talked to 100s of nurses with tattoos and none have ever had any issue.

Long answer short you can of course be a nurse with a tattoo. but for your own good id stick away from getting a sleeve done

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jms2013

Work in social care sector and have never had an issue being tattooed and I'm half covered. If you want it,go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

I've worked with many nurses who have tattoos. They feel it is a conversation starter with their patients moreso than anything else. You don't need to attend an interview to get into nursing either and you can always cover it up for any interview you have when you qualify with a suit jacket etc. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ElishaR86

I'm a final year student and I have a tattoo on the inside of my wrist. I also have a large tattoo on my shoulder blade that can be seen through my tunic. Never had anything said about either. A lot of nurses I've seen have visible tattoos and nearly all the porters in the hospital where I work are covered in tattoos. They don't care as long as you can do your job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement