Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new acoustic

• 07-10-2009 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭

i've grown sick of my martin DCX1RE and looking into buying a new guitar.

want to buy maybe just after christmas but i want to have some idea what i'm looking for as opposed to just researching it there and then.

i've been looking at taylor guitars specifically this one: taylor 510ce.

i'm willing to spend about 2-2.5k on the right guitar. but if there's any other alternatives for in or around that price i'd be happy too.

i know there's martin and gibson (they aren't great with acoustics), lowden etc. but i thought some people out here may have acoustics in my price range as above and would be able to give me their honest opinon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Check out the McIlroy in my sig. In the lower end of your budget and a cracking guitar. I spent a while checking out different taylors, martins and lowdens before I came across a McIlroy in Perfect Pitch. Blew the rest of them away. After a long 3 year wait I finally got the money together and ordered an A25. Paid the best part of 3 grand for it and its hardly been played. If you're looking for a serious guitar I wouldnt hesitate to recommend any McIlroy and you're more than welcome to come and try it out :)

Oh and plenty of sound samples here to give you an idea:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/lesjcheetham

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

i know there's martin and gibson (they aren't great with acoustics)

Bit of a sweeping statement there squire,,,I have a songbird deluxe and a CEO-4 that have lasted the test of time..... with me ....an unreformed GAS junkie :D Would never part with those babies. Maybe you were unlucky or maybe there ain't any tone in your digits :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

a Maton?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Your choice really will depend on your style of play, your tastes in music, and will end up being more a personal choice than a rational one (well it was for me anyway!)...

I bought myself a lovely Lowden O35 second hand on Denmark St in London 2 years back..I tried every single guitar in my price range in all the guitar stores in the Tottenham Court Road area incl Martins, Gibsons, McIlroys and for me the Lowden came out on top by a mile..

I'd say have a bit of a look around..you might get a deal if you head up to the Avalon factory up North..or alternatively.,I found the short hop across the water gave me a much better chance to try a wide range of models out and I still saved on the prices back home when I factored in the travel costs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 johnnytoobad

Hi There,

What about trying a Lakewood? They've got fabulous life in them & get better with age (like most things!). They're german handmade (really) not mass produced. Their website is brilliant & the customizing part is addictive. I have an M 14 model, smaller bodied (suits me) that I bought in Monastery Music in Clondalkin. They had other models there too that might suit you & your budget. I got full back up service & info from the guy in the shop too. They had another handmade guitar from Fylde there too. What a sound? Unfortunately I could only buy one. :( But if I win the lotto!!!!!!! :)

Good luck with your search.

i've grown sick of my martin DCX1RE and looking into buying a new guitar.

want to buy maybe just after christmas but i want to have some idea what i'm looking for as opposed to just researching it there and then.

i've been looking at taylor guitars specifically this one: taylor 510ce.

i'm willing to spend about 2-2.5k on the right guitar. but if there's any other alternatives for in or around that price i'd be happy too.

i know there's martin and gibson (they aren't great with acoustics), lowden etc. but i thought some people out here may have acoustics in my price range as above and would be able to give me their honest opinon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nahguavkire

At that money it's got to be either Taylor or if you're willing to stretch a bit a Collings... They have them in X-Music now and I guarantee you they're the best acoustic guitars in the world, no doubt about it! If you want to stay in your price range then I'd definitely go for a Taylor... It does depend on what style of acoustic you want though...

I have an old baby Taylor, yes nice enough at the time but my tastes have changed & the Lakewood just blows any Taylor out of the water. I appreciate acoustic sound a bit more these days & find the Taylors just don't have it. The depth of sound just isn't there. The Lakewood has great acoustic sound & the pick up is just the job too. I have an old Martin too & like it still for certain things, the odd recording or whatever, but it's kind of redundant for the last 2 years. The new Martins don't seem to be a patch on what they used to be, especially their lower priced ranges.
    Collings are very overpriced for what they are. Don't really rate them that high.
    Just my opinion! :/

I'd compare Collings to PRS, most people seem to think they're overpriced because they're not a big name as such (PRS are now but not before) They're worth every penny though, I've played a serious number of acoustics, Martins of every age, right back to late '20-'30's models, Taylors, R.Taylors, Gibson, Lowden, Avalon, I've tried most stuff but I can honestly say that my Collings OM-2H is the best acoustic I've ever played... EVER... They're just the most wonderful guitars and a definite investment as they're only going to get better with age...

Collings are beyond his budget and while they are fantastic guitars I still find them overpriced.

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Collings are beyond his budget and while they are fantastic guitars I still find them overpriced.

Collings 0-1ASB

326511.jpg

$3,600 = €2,411.73

That's in the price range and it would be a guitar for life, I'd recommend he goes to X-Music, tries some out and if he finds he likes them as much as I think he will then get on t'internet and get rooting as there are bargains to be had and great guitars to be found.

• Advertisement

Matt Umanov Guitars - Collings

I got my Collings here at Matt Umanov in New York.

Current exchange rate means €2,500 = $3,733.51

By any means that puts a good number of Collings acoustics in the aforementioned price range, things are just over priced here in Ireland, not in the rest of the world...

Now add on shipping and your 25% customs/import duties and you are looking at €3125 for a guitar he cannot play until its paid for. Anyone serious about dropping that kind of cash on a guitar knows that acoustics can sound different even within the same model. Then there's individual appearance, grain of the wood etc which I would look at. Xmusic have 2-3 collings at most and I'm 99% sure they dont have that model. Realistically they are out of his budget and I still think there are better acoustics to spend that kind of money on. The lakewood suggestion was a good one

Mmm... I'll give you the point on not being able to see the guitar first but it's pretty easy to get away with the tax and import on it, lets face it, even in the state that the country's in I'm sure we all know someone who's going to be in New York over the next few months, even a family friend or someone who would do a favour... I know I sure didn't pay a penny of import duty on mine, got a friend to pick it up while in New York and take it home, just carried it onto the plane and I met him and took it off him at the airport.

Equally to not being able to see and play the guitar beforehand I think it's safe to assume that it's going to be an excellent guitar if you're dropping that kind of money and if it's anything of that calibre it will be because people don't sell sh*t guitars at that price range. That and any shop that deals in top end guitars will have the individual guitars photographed and on their website rather than a stock model and I'm sre they would record a demo of it if you wanted one... These guys know how to sell their guitars, it is their business...

Also I think by sticking to buying in Ireland with all the extra costs you're paying here you're selling yourself short and buying an inferior guitar to that which is available with a little extra work... I think it's worth making the effort if it means you're going to have a guitar that will age with you and you'll have for the rest of your life...

Yes but that risk could cost him about €600 + a fine if he is caught and believe me it does happen and has happened to people on this very forum. QuattroSte comes to mind bringing back a strat from the states. I brought a guitar back from the states before, they wouldn't let me bring it onto the plane as my only piece of hand luggage and it ended up in the fragile section..... when I got picked up my acoustic in Dublin it was damaged. Machine heads broken and the top was cracked and seperating at the sides. Cost me a fortune to have the guitar repaired. Sorry but its just not worth it in my opinion. The States is not a realistic option given his budget. What would make more sense is getting a cheap ryanair flight to london and buying two seats on the return flight. I did this last year and it worked out a much better option than risking getting one in from the states. The flights in total were about €100, I played the guitar before I bought it, the guitar never left my side since I handed over the money until I got it home and I saved a lot more than that on the guitar I bought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Well I'm selling a gorgeous Breedlove if he wants to check it out on adverts. ;)

http://adverts.ie/154015

Hi Nahguavkire,

Didn't mean to kick your mule! Glad you got something you liked, but you missed the bit where I said "Just my opinion" We all have different tastes, that's what forums are about. The best guitar you've ever played may not be the best someone else ever played. No need to be so defensive. I know you paid a lot but no need to justify it, just be happy with your choice! My Lakewood cost me much less than €2,500 2 years ago with flight case included. What can I say, I'm happy! :)

Ah I know well man, don't worry about it ;)

Collings are still the best though, heh heh heh

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

i know there's martin and gibson (they aren't great with acoustics), lowden etc.

On the contrary, Gibson have made some of the most beautiful and great-sounding acoustic guitars ever!

Of the newer makers, Taylor and Takamine seem to me to be a good mix of value and quality.

Advertisement