Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebird oil boiler not coming on

• 08-09-2009 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

I have a Firebird oil boiler just outside my back door and it's not coming on when the timer calls for heat. If I take the panel off and press the reset switch it will fire up ok but I need it to come on at the set times on my centaur timer. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Sid71 wrote: »
    I have a Firebird oil boiler just outside my back door and it's not coming on when the timer calls for heat. If I take the panel off and press the reset switch it will fire up ok but I need it to come on at the set times on my centaur timer. Any ideas?

If you can get it to start by pressing the reset button then presumably it trips when the timer tries to start it. Generally that happens with oil burners if the photocell in the burner doesn't detect a flame withing a given time (a few seconds). It can be caused by a dirty cell or some grit in the burner nozzle.

You can check that by withdrawing the burner from the boiler (there's generally enough power cable and flexible fuel pipe to allow that. Then wipe the photocell clean and unscrew the nozzle and blow it through. Check the oil filter and make sure it's clean.

Make sure you turn off the power at the mains and close the oil valve first though, and be careful not to damage the igniter prongs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Which reset "switch" are you pressing ? On the burner ? On the thermostat ?
    What burner is it ?

The burner is brobably a Riello (G3 or RDB) Do not take out the burner. Do not take out the nozzle (you will damage it, and won't be able to blow through it anyway). You won't get at the photocell, by taking out the burner.
    Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

did you let the oil go low and now you possibly have an airlock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Sid71

[HTML]Which reset "switch" are you pressing ? On the burner ? On the thermostat ?
    What burner is it ?
    [/HTML]
    Its the one on the oil burner. It won't fire up from the Thermostat or the boost button or the time controler

Sid71 wrote: »
    [HTML]Which reset "switch" are you pressing ? On the burner ? On the thermostat ?
    What burner is it ?
    [/HTML]
    Its the one on the oil burner. It won't fire up from the Thermostat or the boost button or the time controler

What make of burner is it ? How old ?
    Jim.

• Advertisement

Its a slimline heatpac and it's new was bought installed with new house so it only a few month's old. We have'nt properly moved in so there was no need to turn on the boiler over the summer, thanks for your interest

If it is that new, it may not have been commissioned and set up properly - certainly under warranty anyway. You should get someone recommended by Firebird to have a look at it.
    Jim.

Ok! thanks James

Advertisement