Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of trophies/achievements turn off gamers from games ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,082 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Strangely enough, the only game where I went to the bother of finishing it completely was MGS4. I got every single emblem, I wasn't bothered that there was no trophies though. The Big Boss emblem run drove me to the brink of insanity though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

J. Marston wrote: »
    Strangely enough, the only game where I went to the bother of finishing it completely was MGS4. I got every single emblem, I wasn't bothered that there was no trophies though. The Big Boss emblem run drove me to the brink of insanity though.

I hear ya Mr.Marston

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I like achievements/trophies, as long as they're not going to drive me crazy.
    I've got a Platinum for inFamous 1 and nearly had it for inFamous 2 but i apparently didn't have the hard mode activated before starting a new game and didn't get the final trophy because i only selected Hard when it prompted me to... :mad: But i enjoyed getting them, as they were great games and didn't have an annoying trophy like "Finish the game on stupidly-hard mode", a little niggle i have like Calex above.

I also have all achievements in Lego Harry Potter (years 1-4) and Beyond Good and Evil HD, but again because i enjoyed going through them to get them all (unlike Lego Star Wars:TCS, grrrr....)

Then, some games, like NFS: Most Wanted gave you everything for just completing the game. And there should be no such thing as MP trohpies/achievements, they ruin MP and are put in to get more people to play online in the initial first few weeks to make the game appear better than it is/have better online than it has.

But they wouldn't stop me buying a game/not buying a game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the only achievement I can remember caring about in recent years was deus ex HR pacifist achievement but because of some bug with the tranq darts on a particular mission I didn't get the achievement in the end. I dont care all that much because I finished the game without killing anybody (except those god damn bosses) and that's what I was trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BranDEAD

well nowadays nearly eevery game has them , but ti is a pain sometimes when u buy an older ish ps3 game and it has none, like the other day i got Rainbow 6 vegas 2 , and it had no trophies , thats why on xbox everysingle game has achevments to please everone :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Nickco

No I don't have this problem with achievments, I don't care for them that much. But I do know a friend that is the biggest trophy wh*re in the world, buys games just for trophies(even if the games crap) then trades them in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OMG got my first platinum last night. It was in Sly Cooper and was about as challenging as a mildly reluctant fart.

Ahh king Kong on the 360 was alright i enjoyed it at the time but the achevments did help my GS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭maximoose

The one in Deus Ex: HR had one for completing the game fully stealth, called Foxiest of the Hounds with reference to Metal Gear Solid. I love stuff like that.

Lego Harry Potter had an achievement called "Solid Snape" for hiding in a barrel while you were playing as Professor Snape.

That gave me a good oul giggle :pac:

I like achievements. Can be fun earning them and a sense of eh, achievement, if you get a particularly difficult one. Don't take any sense of pride in gamerscore though or look down on people with low score or trophies, that's just sad.

Achievements/trophies should be SP based only though. The MP ones always create endless tools dicking about in online play.

Yeah i hate idiots running around trying to mele kill ppl or camping just to get a bunch of MP trophies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

maximoose wrote: »
    I like achievements. Can be fun earning them and a sense of eh, achievement, if you get a particularly difficult one. Don't take any sense of pride in gamerscore though or look down on people with low score or trophies, that's just sad.

Achievements/trophies should be SP based only though. The MP ones always create endless tools dicking about in online play.

My thoughts exactly. Especially with regard to the multiplayer. Or what they should do is make them so they do not affect your getting a platinum. Just have them as additional trophies.

Btw i must get my hands on some of the lego games, i've heard good things about them

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

not arsed about them, wish I could turn them off for every game, I play the game for the story and gameplay not collecting sh1te like in the Assassins Creed games, its filler and nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

the only achievement I can remember caring about in recent years was deus ex HR pacifist achievement but because of some bug with the tranq darts on a particular mission I didn't get the achievement in the end. I dont care all that much because I finished the game without killing anybody (except those god damn bosses) and that's what I was trying to do.

Same thing happened me :(

Btw i must get my hands on some of the lego games, i've heard good things about them

They are surprisingly fun, especially if you're a fan of Indiana/Star Wars/HP etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

OMG got my first platinum last night. It was in Sly Cooper and was about as challenging as a mildly reluctant fart.

:D

I picked up that collection for €13.99 (afaik) on PSN a few months back. Really great deal for a series I knew nothing about until last year. Have since sub'd to PS+, and suddenly I'm doing way more gaming on PS3 than on 360... how times have changed. I have no platinum trophies though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

BranDEAD wrote: »
    well nowadays nearly eevery game has them , but ti is a pain sometimes when u buy an older ish ps3 game and it has none, like the other day i got Rainbow 6 vegas 2 , and it had no trophies , thats why on xbox everysingle game has achevments to please everone :D

The thing is that MS came up with the system. Sony saw it was a good way to add gameplay to games and increase game sales so they added it later. MS PC games for Windows, WP7 games and some Steam titles now have achievements now.

For old cross platform games on the 360 and PS3 where the PS3 does not have any it is easy enough to patch the PS3 game with them if they wanted. I like the pic art on some achievement lists. Some are just plain lazy though. I like the MGS HD trophy pic art. Dragon Age 2 would be a lazy example.

Oh yeah, just remembered. The Dead Space 2 achievement reference to Jurassic Park was pure class. I was even thinking of the Raptors in JP from the noises the enemies were making while fighting them and when the chevo popped with the description....it was a class moment in gaming for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

They should spend less time on putting pointless achievements into games before they come out and more time into bug fixing, instead of always having to updates games on release.

Achievements add up to nothing, just kids who think it's awesome to have more gamerscore than you... I'm aware it's in the likes of Xbox to hopefully stop people from hacking meaning account banned = Lost all your score, but still pointless imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

They should spend less time on putting pointless achievements into games before they come out and more time into bug fixing, instead of always having to updates games on release.

Achievements add up to nothing, just kids who think it's awesome to have more gamerscore than you... I'm aware it's in the likes of Xbox to hopefully stop people from hacking meaning account banned = Lost all your score, but still pointless imo.

I wouldn't imagine adding achievements takes any real time at all. I'd say it's a swift and simple job (though I don't actually know for sure).

I disagree that achievements add up to nothing. They mean simialr things to High Scores back in the day. With a twist of course, since they are all combined, but it can still present the same things- A great sense of pride when you unlock the on one you've been fighting hard for, they add gameplay were their may not have been gameplay before with allows the game a longer lifespan, and they add challenge... sometimes feck all, but other times buckets full of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,082 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That was my first and only platinum trophy too :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Oh yeah, just remembered. The Dead Space 2 achievement reference to Jurassic Park was pure class. I was even thinking of the Raptors in JP from the noises the enemies were making while fighting them and when the chevo popped with the description....it was a class moment in gaming for me.

Ah yeah, I liked that "Clever girl" trophy as well. Those kind of ones do make me smile.
    J. Marston wrote: »
    That was my first and only platinum trophy too :o.
    Interesting. I have that game as well, so maybe I'll get my first with it.

I do check my trophy list on occasion and if there are any games where I'm near enough the platinum, I do think of trying it. Think Infamous and Prince of Persia are 2 I could probably get if I tried.
    Infamous 2 was a prospect as well but, as someone else said, I had to play in hard mode but had to play from the beginning in Hard and not from the point where it offers to change. So since I didn't find that out until I finished the game the second time, I didn't bother with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Hey, I read 50 posts in this thread? Where's my achievement?

Hey, I read 50 posts in this thread? Where's my achievement?

There's a glitch and you actually only read 49.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Browning2010

I wouldn't be obsessed about getting them but when I've finished a game I'll have a look at the achievement list and see is there any easy ones I could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

I wouldn't be obsessed about getting them but when I've finished a game I'll have a look at the achievement list and see is there any easy ones I could do.

Exactly the point, to make games have a longer life that it otherwise would have. At least it isn't as bad as the ranking up to get a different badge (Ooooh shiny) in the likes of cod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I still like achievements/trophies. They're a fun way to bring all of your accomplishments on a single console together and they can add hugely to a game's lifespan. But stuff like the Gears series "Seriously" achievements are just a bit stupid, grinding for hours defeats the purpose.

I'll always glance at the list and go for the ones that seem feasible on my first playthrough. If they add significantly to the game, I'll play some more and go for the rest.

The Deus Ex Human Revolution list is really good, it inspires players to play through in a very different way. Makes me want to play through the game again! I also love Pacifist runs through games, ever since MGS2!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

In general its always nice to get a trophy on the PS3. I do tend to replay games quite regularily but more to replay than go "trophy hunting"

The one game that I did become obsessed with regarding trophies is Madden. Its the one and only game I play as a trophy exercise.

I agree with whoever said its annoying when you finish a game multiple times but only showing a ceratin % complete. I have played through all the RE4 scenarios and played the main story 3 times and am still only 71%. Grrrrrrr!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I was just thinking earlier on while doing a bit of G hunting myself, will we be seeing more of the same on the next gen? It seems the next generation is heading our way in the next year or two. Will we see this achievement/trophy situation spilling over into the newer consoles, or will it just be one of those things were in years to come people will say "Back in my day, games had achievements"?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

At the rate things are going, you'll need to do things like "Interacted with 50 friends while playing the game" or "Posted screen shot of last kill to facebook".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I have no interest in trophies/achievements whatsoever.

I enjoy a game because of its content

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

CastorTroy wrote: »
    At the rate things are going, you'll need to do things like "Interacted with 50 friends while playing the game" or "Posted screen shot of last kill to facebook".

There already is. In Portal 2 there is one for hugging 5 people on your friends list. In Rainbow Six Vegas 2 there is one for scanning in your face with the Xbox camera. Or Forza 4, uploading a video of a race to the Forza store front.

In PGR4 you could buy an an achievement in the in game store with kudos that you earn in game.

Advertisement