Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish mail on Sunday/Ireland on Sunday....

• 20-09-2006 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Can anyone tell me what name Ireland on Sunday is changing to, is it irish mail on sunday or the irish sunday mail ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Irish Mail on Sunday, afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 seansean

aidan are u sure about this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

It will not be the Irish Sunday Mail, as the Sunday Mail is already used as a title in Scotland, not to be confused. This was also a problem encountered when the Daily Mail wanted to launch a Sunday title in the early 80's, and so settled with The Mail On Sunday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I wonder where they'll plonk the "Irish" or "Ireland" bit; after all the masthead of the daily reads the Daily Irish Mail but is usually refered to as the Irish Daily Mail...
    apparently they will also keep the words 'Ireland on Sunday' in the masthead, probably as a slogan (and obviously as a way of aiding brand recognition)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

It seems odd spending money to build up a title and then to rebrand.

Can't understand the logic of it.

I am not a big fan of the newspaper - but I am a fan of choice.

So - I wish them well in the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭medja

Just wondering if anybody was annoyed by the rebranding of Ireland on Sunday to the The irish mail on Sunday? It didn't have any of the usual Magazines Such as You and that other night and day one.

I'm not a fan of either paper but It seems to be a pointless exercise to join the two up. Overall they'll probably lose a lot of readers.

threads merged.

I wouldn't go so far to say it's a pointless exercise however it is questionable to chose the lesser of the two brands (as far as recognition in Ireland goes) to lead with; it's all part of linking their daily with their Sunday and providing a "unified front" of sorts...

Anyone else see The News of the World today? Cheeky stuff :D

flogen wrote:
    threads merged.

I wouldn't go so far to say it's a pointless exercise however it is questionable to chose the lesser of the two brands (as far as recognition in Ireland goes) to lead with; it's all part of linking their daily with their Sunday and providing a "unified front" of sorts...

Anyone else see The News of the World today? Cheeky stuff :D

It's pointless in the sense that they spend £30+ million plus promoting Ireland on Sunday and then they just drop the brand. The new Irish Mail on Sunday was not much different to the old IOS product.

Yes they will be able to add on 150,000 or so sales to their bottom line but how long will that last?

I know loads of people who would never buy Any Daily Mail product, but kept buying Ireland on Sunday until last week. Interesting News of the World today, if you weren't paying atttention you'd think Ireland on Sunday had merged with it.

This is a curse, tbh.... bear with me on this..

As someone who follows cricket, now there goes another English paper that has become an Irish paper to suit the Irish market. What happens is that all of the content that I bought it for (UK politics and cricket) are gone.

God help us if The Guardian or Observer go this way.

I didn't get the paper today, is the sport section still called "The Title", the only remnant of that shortlived broadsheet sports paper?

• Advertisement

medja wrote:
    It's pointless in the sense that they spend £30+ million plus promoting Ireland on Sunday and then they just drop the brand. The new Irish Mail on Sunday was not much different to the old IOS product.

Yes they will be able to add on 150,000 or so sales to their bottom line but how long will that last?

I know loads of people who would never buy Any Daily Mail product, but kept buying Ireland on Sunday until last week. Interesting News of the World today, if you weren't paying atttention you'd think Ireland on Sunday had merged with it.

I agree in the sense that the merge made sense but picking the Mail brand over the IoS brand did not... IMO having two newspapers from the same stable that were both underperforming is a bad idea, especially when they both offer very similar content (or at least style). So rather than Associated sinking money into the IoS and trying to sell the Sunday Mail to Ireland a merge was logical and I can understand why they wanted brand uniformity too but it is at a huge cost and basically puts the back to square 1 as far as brand recognition goes.

As for the NoTW, that was probably the intention to some degree, I'd say they were also hoping to make readers think the IoS had gone completely rather than just gotten a new name; the editorial inside it basically says it's sad to see another Irish paper go but is happy to welcome it's readers, very clever (as was the huge price cut, but that's standard procedure for a Murdoch)

DMC wrote:
    I didn't get the paper today, is the sport section still called "The Title", the only remnant of that shortlived broadsheet sports paper?

Yes, The soccer pages are called The Title. They've just renamed their weekly football pullout.

It's a good point DMC, I used to pick up the Mail the odd time (as well as the Irish Times!) for a different news agenda. Now I have no reason to pick it up, I wonder what it's sales will be like when it goes up to €1.00 which will have to happen at some point in the future.

None of the Irish editions of the daily English red top papers seem to offer much. lots of the stories seem to be lifted off of Liveline or other radio shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Whats the deal with the News of the World using the Ireland on Sunday banner on their front page on sunday, anyone got a scan of it?

Daily mail owners said to be suing the NOTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I was pretty p&*^$d off at the change to the Irish Mail on Sunday. It is very poor in comparison to the UK version, which I used to like for the UK political coverage. The TV and bloke-oriented mag was ok now and then as well.

Now I have to get my folks to send away for a subscription so that the newsagents will get it.

Whats the deal with the News of the World using the Ireland on Sunday banner on their front page on sunday, anyone got a scan of it?

Daily mail owners said to be suing the NOTW.

They used it to "welcome readers from" the IoS, as if it had closed down etc.

Where did you hear that they're suing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

flogen wrote:
    They used it to "welcome readers from" the IoS, as if it had closed down etc.

Where did you hear that they're suing?

Page 2 of tuesdays Daily Mail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I'd guessed that they'd madde the cahnge to try and up the sales of the Daily Mail which are meant to be terrible are they not? Changing the name of the IoS to a Daily Mail name was perhaps an effort to get IoS readers to buy the Mail on weekdays. Presumably, despite the waste of money, they'd rather have their flag ship name in operation that having an Ireland on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday etc (I know this is ridiculous and would never happen but you get my point).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

When you try to go to their online version you get their competitor The Sunday Tribune, whats the story here like ? www.irishmailonsunday.com

LOL, a good dose of cybersquatting...

Is this cybersquatting legal ???

• Advertisement

Is this cybersquatting legal ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersquatting
    Under UDRP policy, successful complainants can have the names deleted (which often just means someone else will register it) or transferred to their ownership (which means paying regular renewal fees on all the names or risk them being registered by someone else). Under the ACPA the cybersquatter can be held liable for actual damages or statutory damages in the amount of a maximum of $100,000 for each name found to be in violation.

Not sure how that transfers directly to Ireland, but I imagine Trademark issues would certainly apply.
    Considering the fact that the domain register is based in Ireland (Dundalk, co-incidently...) jurisdiction should not be as much of an issue; also godaddy.com are the kind of company that will fold with any threat as they'd rather not avoid a pointless lawsuit.

It shows no sign of it being the Trib that registered it; perhaps just someone trying to manufacture a dispute for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Does anyone have yesterday's (oct 8) issue of the irish mail on sunday?

Theres a section I gotta check out, but dont have the paper :(

call them and they will send you one out if you tell them part of it was missing.

Heres an interesting story about the Irish Mail http://cryptome.org/mos-threat.htm

Advertisement