Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SoulCalibur V discussion thread

• 11-05-2011 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

2132447491_full.jpg

This was officially announced at a Namco event in Dubai last night.

Very little was actually explained at the event, but it is a sequel to SCIV and is set 17 years later. The new main character will be Patroclus - Sophitia's son.
    Finally, it's got a 2012 release date.

You can see some very minor footage below. It's basically a bunch of SCIV footage spliced with a couple of frames of new animation at the end.

There's not much to go on, but I've always loved SC. Here's hoping this is a return to SC1 and 2 form as they've gone downhill pretty bad in the last two iterations :/

Also, Odashima recently posted on his Twitter about the restrictions a character's height puts on their bust size. Of course.

sc_handychart.jpg

The teaser site for what is presumably SCV will also unlock at about 1700 today. http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/cs/list/beginning_of_the_new_chapter/index.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Not sure if want, SC used to be one of my fave games before the steaming pile that was SC4 soured me on it.

Get the old dev team if possible, no guest characters, no rushed release, no DLC for integral parts of the game, DO IT RIGHT!

...but bring back Hilde - she could still look good in her 30's. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Wasn't SC one of the "best games ever".

I never owned a Dreamcast, but I'm pretty happy with my copy of SC2 on Gamecube with Link.

None of the games after that really impressed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

SoulCalibur is one of the best fighters I've ever played. I still like SoulCalibur 2 better than it, but there's a good chance I'd change my mind if I actually went back to play it.
    Ivy wasn't unusably complicated back then too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 hartnett_mark

Soul Calibur is great series i played each one and each was great for me, i hope this one will be great too :)

SC1 on DC was well ahead of its time and it stands up surprisingly well today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

This is one I will be watching closely.

I always liked Sophitia though, pity it sounds like she won't be in it :(

I always liked Sophitia though, pity it sounds like she won't be in it

It's SoulCalibur. She'll pray to Hephaestus who will give her her youth back or something. They have a million excuses to keep most of the cast in the game despite the time jump.

Cervantes, Maxi and Ivy are all undead in one form or another, so they can be kept along with no real explanation.
    Siegfried, Nightmare, Astaroth, Algol, Zasalamel, Raphael, Amy are all immortal.
    Lizardman is just one of a whole species.

That's 11 characters who don't even need new explanations to explain their presence - there are so many Gods and magics and sciences available in the SC universe anyone could be kept in the series for any amount of reasons.

I always liked Sophitia though, pity it sounds like she won't be in it :(

I think Sophitia was taken out of the regular character rotation a couple of games into the series to take a backseat to Cassandra.

The game seems to do that frequently enough with new characters taking the moves/weapon of old characters and playing almost the same.

The jump from Blade to Calibur lost a fair few characters I was familiar with. The most traumatic was the pretty cool and tragic assassin Li-Long being replaced with some kind of Chinese Pirate Elvis :(

Some minor information over at Eurogamer
    Namco Bandai has lifted the lid on Soulcalibur V at its press event in Dubai this morning.

The game, set 17 years after Soulcalibur IV, features guest characters, Project Soul producer Hisaharu Tago told Christian Donlan for Eurogamer.

The main character is Patroklos, son of Sophitia. Patroklos is "inspired" by the gameplay of Sophitia, but is "sharper" and "more agile". He has new moves, but they're all inspired by Sophitia's.

V takes the Siegried ending of IV and builds upon it. Seigfried, now 39 years old, no longer wields the Soul Calibur sword.

V is described as a "generational shift", complete with new characters, but SCIV characters will return. "SC 1-4 was a continuous story," Tago said. "We want to make a generational shift with a new story this time."

The Soulcalibur series is famous for the inclusion of characters from other universes, such as Link from The Legend of Zelda and Yoda from Star Wars. Will other non-Soulcalibur characters feature?

"Difficult question," Tago said. "We will have guest characters as we did with Star Wars. Please stay tuned for more information on that."

V marks a shift from two-handed swords to short swords, Tago announced. The story includes "the enigma as to why the swords have become short swords".

The game's new fighting style is described as "lighter, sharper, and more elegant". The online mode has been improved with new features. "Gameplay in IV could be a little heavy, particularly when you were online – we wanted gameplay that was more fast and reactive," Tago said.

On the shift in gameplay: "Maybe the hardcore fans will be afraid that we lose the core of the gameplay, but that's not the case. And for new players it's nice to have gameplay that is more continuous – you don't need to wait as much between moves.

"There is quite some change in the gameplay from SCIV. The pace of the game has been improved, and the combos will be easier to perform, and the moves will be easier to pull out."

Elsewhere, Tago confirmed the create a character feature from previous games in the series returns, but refused to divulge details.

Namco Bandai is yet to show actual gameplay, but promised more information at E3 next month.
    V marks a shift from two-handed swords to short swords, Tago announced. The story includes "the enigma as to why the swords have become short swords".

Siegfried and Nightmare with short swords.

What.

The most traumatic was the pretty cool and tragic assassin Li-Long being replaced with some kind of Chinese Pirate Elvis :(

Just as traumatic Hwang being replaced by essentially a younger douchier version of himself. :pac:

Both were back as full fledged characters in SC3 AE but we never got a sniff of that which is a damn shame 'cause I think it would've been great, SC3 without the glitches (which in fairness I think were fixed in the PAL version anyway) and stupid bonus characters.
    Lizardman is just one of a whole species.

Actually SC2 was the only game to have a generic Lizardman, all the others were the same guy called Aeon Calcos who had a decent backstory about seeking revenge on his god for abandoning him to become a monster while the sisters just keep on being top tier but ended up played for laughs anyway.

• Advertisement

There's definitely going to be at least two benefits of this 17 year shift.
    Firstly is middle aged Mitsurugi. He already keeps getting more haggard and pissed off looking in every game - after 17 years he's going to be a train wreck of awesomeness.
    And Voldo is going to be pushing 70. What's creepier than an overly flexible, S&M bound pensioner?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Astaroth is gonna be in it right? Astaroth ftw.
    Sairus wrote: »
    Siegfried and Nightmare with short swords.

What.

Lame.

But they did say Siegfried no longer has Soul Calibur so, he might be still throwing around those stupidly awesome swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

The important thing is that the height to bust ratio is right. God forbid they should mess up something that important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Is Li Long not still in this ****? The gruelling battle ended with the victory of ............ Li Long

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

(Inevitable Kiki post)

Can't wait to see "grown-up" Rachael, Talim & Cassandra.
    MILF Hilde would be great too.

But please for the love of god, take Taki, Setsuka & Ivy out -- the last thing I want to see is granny tits in a fighter!

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Can't wait to see "grown-up" Rachael Amy, Talim & Cassandra.

C'mon lad, I know it's getting hard to tell the goth vampire lolis apart these days, but get your facts straight.

And besides leave Amy out of all this growing up nonsense! She's awesome and tiny!

Sairus wrote: »
    C'mon lad, I know it's getting hard to tell the goth vampire lolis apart these days, but get your facts straight.

Hahaha! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I don't really much experince with the SC games, other than having a random girl beat me in SC1 at a college open day some years ago. ( The salt, I tell ya, the salt! :pac: )

I'll keep on passing eye on this regardless.

Higher quality version of the teaser, and some screengrabs.

Soul Edge (Man this looks badass)
    30huic4.jpg

Patroclus
    w2kcus.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I main Cassandra in SCIV :pac:

Wonder how she's gonna look in this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

Damn, now I have to start playing SC again.

Also new ages for some of the cast:
    Amy = 31(undead)
    Astaroth = 24(doesn't age)
    Cassandra = 38
    Cervantes = 62 (Undead)
    Dampierre = Unknown (Possibly 55)
    Hilde = 35
    Hwang = 49
    Ivy = 45(undead iirc)
    Kilik = 36
    Li Long = 48
    Lizardman = 53
    Maxi = 45
    Mitsurugi = 46
    Nightmare = Unknown
    Raphael = 49(undead)
    Rock = 59(BANGOO!!!)
    Seong Mi-na = 40
    Setsuka = 41
    Siegfried = 40
    Sophitia = 42
    Taki = 46
    Talim = 32
    Tira = 34
    Voldo = 67
    Xianghua = 37
    Yoshimitsu = Unknown
    Yun-seong = 35
    Zasalamel = Unknown

I'd say the sisters will be replaced by Pyhrra and Patroclus (probably wielding the new soul calibur/edge)
    Also if they follow history the civil wars + Korean invasions should be over so mits will be more bored than ever and yun and mina won't need to fight anymore.

Patroclus character art:

sc5a1.jpg

Awesome 40 year old Siegfried:

sc5a2.jpg

God damn he looks badass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

The jump from Blade to Calibur lost a fair few characters I was familiar with. The most traumatic was the pretty cool and tragic assassin Li-Long being replaced with some kind of Chinese Pirate Elvis :(

Awesome cakes... I lol'd for a solid 10 seconds at that!

I bought a Dreamcast the day SC came out, went home, played for about 5 hours and unlocked a bunch of characters. Then realised that I had no memory card, so had to do it all again the following day. :o

Got 2 (Great game) on the GC, skipped 3, and was moderately disappointed by 4. The Star Wars characters was a terrible idea, just terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

The Star Wars characters was a terrible idea, just terrible.
    Yeah i think Soul calibur doesnt really have to be throwing in additional characters the roster is fairly good anyway go Siegfried:)
    I just remebered the ring outs there will be so much salt so much:D

I just remebered the ring outs there will be so much salt so much:D

Hilde is famous for her ridiculous ability to ring out - I think she might actually be banned now because of it. The crowd reaction in the 2009 Evo finals says it all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hilde got banned, along with Algol.

That's right, she was as broken as a boss character with a projectile attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Its all about Kilik and Talim. WIND!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Please, it's all about Cassandra and Amy

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

I wouldnt be too upset at most of them ring outs they came from combos but that slap near the edge that was diabolical:(
    please people its all about Siegfried and Maxi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

As long as I can still play as Kilik, I dont care. B| Always played as him, always will, for SC at least.

Advertisement