Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google is just getting too intrusive for comfort: Power Meter Software.

• 10-02-2009 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Last week we had Google Latitude that could have the capabilities of giving your employer your where abouts on your mobile phone. Now we have a power meter software to reduce electricity use.

Users will be able to monitor the Power Meter through their computers and other web-enabled devices using a special widget embedded on their personalized Google homepage.

As you already know the authorities can look into your computer without a search warrant. (Seeking out terrorists :rolleyes:) . With this wonderful new service from Google they will now have a knowledge of all your appliances, if you are still using high energy incandescent light bulbs it will come up on your PC and doors could be kicked in.

Maybe in the future you could be your ESB Bill will be penalized according to the energy rating of your appliances.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/google/4581964/Google-introduces-power-meter-software-to-reduce-electricity-use.html

google_big-brother_logo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

That's more of a conspiracy theory there RTDH rather than an actual digital rights argument, you're coming to some pretty ... interesting conclusions there.

This thread with that line of subject is probably much better off in Conspiracy Theories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I've just tilted my webcam away from the window 'cause my car tax is out of date:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ned78 wrote: »
    That's more of a conspiracy theory there RTDH rather than an actual digital rights argument, you're coming to some pretty ... interesting conclusions there.

This thread with that line of subject is probably much better off in Conspiracy Theories.
    Not exactly, we have the frog in boiling water argument. If Google were to introduce this technology piece by piece people will not take too much notice. If they were to introduce it all in one lump people would freak out about their civil liberties.

It could eventually become manditory to have a metering system on your PC.

spadder wrote: »
    I've just tilted my webcam away from the window 'cause my car tax is out of date:D
    You don't need to if have crossed the Westlink toll plaza. They already know. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Can you answer this honestly for me please RTDH; Does all this stuff really bother you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Can you answer this honestly for me please RTDH; Does all this stuff really bother you?
    It bothers lots of people. Unfortunately, it doesnt bother the majority of people, so the incremental taking of privacy will continue.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I am not so bothered about it now but I can forsee a potential for it to be used against us in ther future. One only has to look at these social sites like face book, Utube etc, already people age hanging themselve to the authorities by posting videos etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I know it's the argument used most often but in all fairness if you aren't doing anything wrong what do you have to be worried about?

If Google were to introduce this technology piece by piece people will not take too much notice. If they were to introduce it all in one lump people would freak out about their civil liberties.

It could eventually become manditory to have a metering system on your PC.

See, by highlighting certain words in your post, it's even apparent in your own post that you're pulling these conclusions out of nowhere. Please god take it to conspiracy theories for the love of all that is rational debate.

I can forsee a potential for it to be used against us in ther future. One only has to look at these social sites like face book, Utube etc, already people age hanging themselve to the authorities by posting videos etc.

Eh, right. There's a whole world of difference there mate, apples and oranges. The people 'hanging themselves' on youtube, etc, are generally posting vidoes of themselves doing rather illegal things.

What could possibly be the outcome of electricity monitoring, oh hey, this house is using 5 units more a minute ... what can we do ... increase the ESB bill really, that's about all. Which is exactly what we have at the moment.

The pros of this system are staggering, if rolled out, it will be possible to see trends in people's usage of electricity, and allow the grid to plan for it thereby making the most of the environmental procedures that they have. They will also be able to educate people as to their usage of electricity too.

The cons of this system is that lunatics will think it's Big Brother - that is all.

• Advertisement

Eh, right. There's a whole world of difference there mate, apples and oranges. The people 'hanging themselves' on youtube, etc, are generally posting vidoes of themselves doing rather illegal things.
    People are getting sacked from their jobs from information posted on these social networking sites. Government agencies can also build up profiles of individuals and can use this information against them. We have heard of individuals arrested by the US authorities at immigration on information passed on from profiles built up from social sites. This will only get worse as more and more countries integrate with electronic border control. I can see it happening at our own doorstep with the roll out of electronic border control between the UK & Irelandl.
    What could possibly be the outcome of electricity monitoring, oh hey, this house is using 5 units more a minute ... what can we do ... increase the ESB bill really, that's about all. Which is exactly what we have at the moment.
    "Carbon footprint" taxing is just one example of an intrusive tax. IE in order to monitor it effetely they must know quite a lot about you, IE your traveling habits, what you are buying, how you are using your energy etc. I already started a heated debate in the Green Issues forum which sums it up. "When Green issues turn to impose fascism it's time for us to put the foot down" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055482519

The pros of this system are staggering, if rolled out, it will be possible to see trends in people's usage of electricity, and allow the grid to plan for it thereby making the most of the environmental procedures that they have. They will also be able to educate people as to their usage of electricity too.

The cons of this system is that lunatics will think it's Big Brother - that is all.
    The cons of the system is that by the time you realize that things are not just adding up it could be too late for you to do anything about it.

You know, there's just no point in debating with you. You're making assumptions that just aren't true. *sigh*

Advertisement