Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

sunnyside wrote: »
    The rain is making my 2nd week of couch to 5k difficult.

Didn't go out at all on Monday or Tuesday evening. Attempted Wk2 Day 1 at lumchtime but gave up 6 minutes in due to rain, but committed to trying again this evening. 2nd attempt between the showers and the rain held off until I had only 6 mins 30 seconds left, all of which was walking. Having done the main running part I wasn't going to be defeated so I kept going and in the spirit of "Run fat Bi*ch, run" (anyone else reading it?) I repeated the mantra "you have a washing machine at home" :D and kept going....and workout complete. :)

I'll be so annoyed with myself if I don't get Wk 2 done this week.

I always make myself go out in the rain, and have gotten to like it for some reason:confused: Like; "its raining outside I think I'll go for a run!" You feel as good as you do wet coming in for sure. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

Morning women! Fancy a run ? Sun is actually out where I am so once the daughter is at dancing I'm off for a run. Besides, if I write it here then I'll HAVE to do it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Did you go out? Beautiful morning for it! I went out yesterday for the first time in a week since having my calves needled - well talk about a transformation! Before, I spent the first 1-1.5 miles hobbling on calf muscles that were like rods of steel. Yesterday, I was positively bounding around the place. What a revelation. Didn't run any further or faster, mind you, but it DIDN'T HURT!

Looking forward to getting back out with the Fit4Life group again on Monday - I really missed those sessions last week.

Hi HeidiHeidi I went but wish that I hadn't, foolishly went uphill from my house and into a headwind. Not a good idea. Legs like lead, only did a 3k ish circuit & collapsed in the door! My husband asked if it was warm out?! Big ole red face on me.... My breathing has gone too, can't seem to breathe deeply enough and can feel a stitch coming on all the time ... Used not to be a problem for me so need to get out and do a few more relaxed runs, see if that helps. HH did you have long term problems with the calves? Sounds like you have it sorted now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

On week 3 now, only one day of that left to do and I plan on doing it tomorrow. Was so happy when I managed to run for 3 full minutes this week :) but it's pathetic really. I'm shockingly unfit even though I'm not overweight.

I've looked at lots of other beginner programmes and they have people running for 5 minutes in the first week. There is no way I could have done that. Very unlikely even that I could do it now in week 3.

Only another week to go and I'll be half way through which I'm quite excited about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ladies, I'm running a meet and train group for the mini marathon in the Phoenix Park on Wednesdays if anyone is interested in joining us. It'll be aimed towards mini-marathon runners but even if you're not up to that standard I'll be able to cater the session for you as well as it'll be aimed towards people who aren't running the whole thing as well.

It would be preferable, but not essential, if you'd consider raising money for St. James Foundation if you are taking part.

If you want any info pm me. These are purely fun meet and train sessions. There's no pressure on anyone on pace, distance etc..

Just bumping this. Wednesday was a bit of a disaster, what with the rain an all. Again, anyone interested in a very friendly group run, give me a shout. Everyone is welcome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gillwill

Hi,

I would love to get started with the couch to 5k training. I'm 29 and very unfit. Does anyone want to meet up for some support?

Gill

Hellooooo runners, or in my case "ooh it's too wet to go running, but I REALLY should!" Am definitely going for a run tomorrow morn, if it's stopped raining:rolleyes: it's bloody May and the Docklands and MM are fast approaching, now would be a good time to get some motivation from somewhere!!!! RQueen - can you please move your training group to Wicklow? Gillwill where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gillwill

I am in Leixlip. Anyone out this way or at least near?

Sorry GillWill am Wicklow. Did 5k today. Was hellish. But at least 1) did it 2) didn't get soaked. How's everyone else going?

• Advertisement

Struggled through a 5k yesterday, very slowly. Am beginning to brick it about the mm which is at least a 10k. Ah well, it's for charideee...... Anyone doing any running?!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I started week 1 last Wednesday. Im reasonably active and found it easy.
    Decided this week ill juts move to week three where it should start to hurt.

I also have a goal in September. So i need to get to 5k fast.

O.M.G!!!!!! Are you really doing it? Awesome. Which one?

NCONTHEMC wrote: »
    O.M.G!!!!!! Are you really doing it? Awesome. Which one?

I just moved to Sydney so it will be my local event.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I presume that there are half marathon apps out there - that might be my next step, though I like doing a 60 minute run for listening to longer podcasts. Will only really be an option if I've enough free time, which I don't think I have.

Did a 6 k this morning, am now wrecked! Included 2 hills so had to walk a bit, but still, tis better than nowt! Anyone else off the couch?:cool:

Started week three yesterday started out a bit strong and thought i was going to die about half way through.

I also learned its a bad idea to run passed your favourite kebab shop. Its just taunting yourself. :D

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Will be going back to C25K soon (in the last week of exams at present) as I've had a disastrous year exercise wise.
    Previously completed the program, then my knee flared up and I had to stop, but never went back once I got the 'all clear'. Lazy mode kicked in like no tomorrow especially as I was already juggling work & college.

Hopefully I'll be able to complete it again this time, despite the massive weight gain since I stopped :-(, I'm hoping it won't be too detrimental on my knees.
    May attempt W1 and if the knee feels a bit strained will revert to walking for a while just to get back into the swing of things. I really do not want to damage the knee again!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

I'm back on the wagon after a very stressful few months that have just gotten worse but no more excuses!

I'm jumping back in at week 4, just to get back into the rhythm! I'm attempting to run the WMM in 4 weeks so I'm just going for it! (and I'm possibly going to do the full DCM but shhhhh!)

The programme worked wonders for me and I loved it. So back to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but does anyone know if there's a way to sign up for the Flora Mini-Marathon at this stage (entries have closed)?. Anyone who may have signed up but can't do it? I need a goal!!

Thanks, E

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but does anyone know if there's a way to sign up for the Flora Mini-Marathon at this stage (entries have closed)?. Anyone who may have signed up but can't do it? I need a goal!!

Thanks, E

There are plenty of other 10k road races around - I recommend the Dunshaughlin one on 23 June, and there is a new 10k in Swords as part of the Dublin marathon race series in July. Race number transfers are not allowed for the Women's Mini-Marathon - it's stated in the race rules.

Hi there's also the Dun Laoghaire 10k August Bank Holiday weekend. Tis a bit hilly for my liking :mad: but it might be worth a look? I foolishly did it last year, am still getting over it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Any boardies doing the docklands run on May 22nd? I have officially caught the running bug after the great limerick run!

panda100 wrote: »
    Any boardies doing the docklands run on May 22nd? I have officially caught the running bug after the great limerick run!

Me! Did you do the half marathon :eek: ? Good for you re running bug, am still waiting for it to get me :cool: I have been slacking off on the running so signed up for Docklands to eh, motivate myself. Have you done Docklands before? A friend did it last year and loved it cos it was flat!!

NCONTHEMC wrote: »
    Me! Did you do the half marathon :eek:

All the cool kids did :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Not sure whether to put this in here or to create a whole new thread, but will try here first:)

I plan on running the Flora Women's Mini Marathon for the first time this year and just have a few questions.
    When I originally signed up I hadn't done much running so wasn't sure how my training would go, so I chose the slowest possible category after walkers (can't remember the exact name, joggers maybe). Training has gone well enough though and I am hoping to run the 10km in roughly 1 hour. I've heard now though that people in the category I am in get put in the same starting area as the walkers, and so can get held up quite a bit at the beginning due to all the crowds, is this true? Are the crowds really that bad? How long roughly would it take to break through and run at my own pace?
    (I know it is primarily a race for raising money for charity rather than a serious competition, but I would still like to do my best).

Also, do they have markings along the course of the route to indicate distance points? Do firemen really hose everyone down near Donnybrook?:D

Sorry for all the questions, thanks to anyone who has any info:o

As far as I can remember, the categories were

Elite (sub-45 proven)
    Runners (45-60 mins proven)
    Fast joggers (60-70 mins proven, this category was heavily cut down this year)
    Joggers (running, but no proven time)
    Walkers (self-explanatory)

Best thing I can suggest is to either try and switch at number collection - it would help if you have some proof from another race that you can do the time, or else if you're stuck in that section then try and push as far forward as you can before the start (turn up very early if you have to). Unfortunately whether you like it or not, you are going to be stuck with a lot of walkers in that section, and they won't always be considerate about people who are running and trying to get moving behind them. Because of the crowds it can take a *long* time to get moving, unfortunately. If that happens, then just try and enjoy the race and it may be worth entering a different 10k a few weeks later to get your time.

Course is marked every km, and yes, the firemen do hose everyone. Even if it's bucketing rain like it was in 2010 (the last time I did this race).

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Thanks for your quick response.
    Unfortunately this will be my first race so I won't be able to prove my times. When I go to collect my number I will inquire about being moved up to the fast joggers category but I won't be too hopeful about them allowing it. At least I know now what to expect and won't be too disappointed if I don't make the hour mark.
    Think I will definitely be grateful for the firemen hosing everyone, I hate running in the sun so my family and friends are not too happy that I'm hoping for rain on the June bank holiday weekend! Thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lola.bella

Hi

I am total c25k lucker but never actually do it(in awe of ye).. I tried day 1 and gave up, useless.. feel totally stupid running / walking etc with all these amazing people gliding past me.. Did anyone feel embarrassed when they started?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

Thanks to all for the responses. Didn't realise that about the Flora MM so thanks RK, wouldn't do to get hauled off and made an example of! Will definitely check out the others.

Advertisement