Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Best injury - Collar Bone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

phog wrote: »
    Hopefully, it's not serious, we need Best.

In answer to a previous question of Varley or Cronin, it has to be Cronin, he's been with the squad the longest and has played W/C rugby, Varley next in line.

If required, who's there from the provinces for call up, Sherry in Munster, who in the other 3?

no it's definitely Sherry #1. By a distance.

I wouldn't even worry about the others tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

cronin_j wrote: »
    Varley possibly has the better throwing skills,

That really says it all about how screwed we are if we have to rely on Cronin. Varley is a poor thrower. For Cronin to be around the same level shows how weakened we'll be. Our line out is a massive element of our game. Best's absence goes far beyond just the line out though or the scrum. His handling is excellent. He's one of the best defenders in the side and is like an extra flanker at times around the park. I can't understate what a loss he'll be if it's confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Reloc8 wrote: »
    if Munster were picking between Varley and Cronin, based solely on scrum and lineout...who would they pick ?

For all those wondering, this is the comment that made me give a warning, the user may have clarified it later but the warning still has to be put in place as to what will not be tolerated.

** any further questions pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭part time punk

chippers wrote: »
    As Brewster mentions it's not just the throwing issue that is a concern. Best has been scrummaging excellently recently and while ross and healy get all the plaudits, best has been having a huge impact as well.

What he said ........ Best has been on top form as well. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,531 ✭✭✭✭phog

emmet02 wrote: »
    no it's definitely Sherry #1. By a distance.

I wouldn't even worry about the others tbh.

That's kind of worrying, I've huge time for Sherry and often preferred to see him start ahead of Varley but I think should he be called up it'll be a huge step up for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

post deleted feckit.

That's kind of worrying, I've huge time for Sherry and often preferred to see him start ahead of Varley but I think should he be called up it'll be a huge step up for him.

I thought emmet02 meant he's number 1 of those in line for the call-ups, not number 1 to start in the team.

Dundon @ Leinster is a late 20s AIL player that they needed to call in after losing Fogarty and Jackman in the one year. He's actually quite good, but I just wouldn't have anywhere near enough confidence in him to ask him to step into green. Jason Harris-Wright has had good performances but I would be one of the first to question his temperament and discipline. He's also a kid. Tom Sexton is there too but again would be a lamb to the slaughter. Has no experience whatsoever.

Connacht have Flavin and I wouldn't know anything about him at this stage. He certainly wouldn't be "callable onable" in a WC QF though.

Ulster have Annett, Ireland U20 captain last year. Again too young and inexperienced at even Pro12 level to consider. Nigel Brady would probably be the most experienced hooker left in Ireland, but I wouldn't think he'd be able for the game.

If required, who's there from the provinces for call up,

In the one that play in White, Niall Annet & Nigel Brady. I know nothing about either.

In the one that play in Green, Adrian Flavin, Dermot Murphy are the eligble squad members (they have a South African with a name I can never remember). Can't see either as realistic.

In the one that play in Blue, Jason Harris Wright is the eligible hooker (Strauss obviously not). Again, not realistic as an option.

In the one that play in White, Niall Annet & Nigel Brady. I know nothing about either.

In the one that play in Green, Adrian Flavin, Dermot Murphy are the eligble squad members (they have a South African with a name I can never remember). Can't see either as realistic.

In the one that play in Blue, Jason Harris Wright is the eligible hooker (Strauss obviously not). Again, not realistic as an option.

and spelling it is the hardest!

Ethienne Reyinecke (or something like that!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Really hope Denis Fogs doesnt get called up, prob the remaining hooker with most call ups to the a's and full squad.

sherry is class though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

cronin did just fine - losing POC, ross, Healy, BOD or even Ferris, Bowe , Kearney, o'gara would be far more serious - hopefully best will be back for later stages - injuries will be par for course of this journey for all teams - its hardly like losing dan carter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Really hope Denis Fogs doesnt get called up, prob the remaining hooker with most call ups to the a's and full squad.

sherry is class though

It might be time to put a call into the dept of foreign affairs and get a rush put on Ricards passport!!!!

Failing that we might have to ask Keith Wood to start hitting the gym......

Seriously though, fingers crossed for Best - it's a testament to how well he is playing that Flannary is not being missed. We really need him.

We might get word on it in the next few hours, if something does show up on X-ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

This would be a bit of a disaster alright. We're really thinning out on options now if we're down to 3rd choice hooker to start.

Alternatives are Sherry, after that maybe Harris-Wright, but if he's called out it's bottom of the barrel stuff, still finding his feet in Pro12...

Sean O'Brien or Cian Healy to Hooker?? :o

(Cian Healy threw in to lineouts in schools rugby if that helps... :pac:)

thebaz wrote: »
    cronin did just fine - losing POC, ross, Healy, BOD or even Ferris, Bowe , Kearney, o'gara would be far more serious - hopefully best will be back for later stages - injuries will be par for course of this journey for all teams - its hardly like losing dan carter

fully disagree here. If you're calling the above players the first choice

POC -> Cullen isn't near as big a gap as Best -> Cronin
    Bowe -> Trimble again
    Kearney - > Murphy is a big step, but again not in the same league.
    ROG -> Sexton is not even a step, as it's a crazily close decision already.

You're completely underestimating just how good Best has been and how important he is for our game.

Andy Kyriacou is definitely an option that people are forgetting. I think it would be Sherry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Hope it's not serious, not just from the POV of the Irish team, but for Best himself. He's playing his best rugby of his Irish career lately and it would be a shame for him to miss out.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Cian Healy threw in to lineouts in schools rugby if that helps... :pac:)

He didn't. He played and scrummaged at hooker but Belvedere's No. 8, David Gilchrist, threw in at set piece time. Gilchrist was a fine hooker in his own right and played there on representative teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Leamy was registered as a hooker in Munster years ago, if that's any help? ;)

Seriously though, it would be a huge loss. Best has been playing the best rugby of his career imo and Cronin is terribly unpredictable - he looks so nervous on the field, his hands are terrible and he poor in the lineout. If Varley could find his early season form from last year he would be my starter hands down but, he was poor towards the end of the season. His throwing went AWOL and he became a penalty machine. If he did find form though, he could be our answer to having no natural 7 :D, he can be a beast on the floor.

Sherry would probably be the obvious replacement. It would be a huge challenge to slot in with the squad and learn the calls though. This is probably the only time that I'll go on record saying that I want Strauss to tog out for Ireland though.

I would absolutely love for Sherry to pull a Murray and go from being 4th choice at Munster to being first choice for Ireland within 6months though.

I thought emmet02 meant he's number 1 of those in line for the call-ups, not number 1 to start in the team.

I understood that, thats why I asked
    That's kind of worrying, I've huge time for Sherry and often preferred to see him start ahead of Varley but I think should he be called up it'll be a huge step up for him

GerM wrote: »
    Andy Kyriacou is definitely an option that people are forgetting. I think it would be Sherry though.

I fgorgot about Andy, he may be next choice too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭overshoot

GerM wrote: »
    i though of him at first too but personally i dont think he has been at the level he was at in his debut ulster season, playing ireland A etc. i think ireland may be in trouble here. Best has been on flying form and its a definate step down to Cronin. (iv good hope for the future for him but he is a work in progress) unfortunately though it is a big step again to the next man. its annoying that ireland have good cover for almost the entire squad but the front row is the one place where there is such a gap between 1st and 2nd choice. (or at least when we are minus flannery too)

personally i think varley probably has to be the go to guy here, only one with full caps and there isnt much between whats left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Medkaren

What exactly did cronin do wrong today? Made all his line outs the only one he didn't was because donnacha Ryan let it go through his grasp but the timing was good. Also had a good scrum carried and tackled well.. I think he's come on leaps and bounds since this time last year and think he'll be our no 1 before long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RoryMc23

I'm pretty sure Flavin will be called up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Someone on Twitter saying that Strauss is now eligible. Wonder if he's a possibility. Don't think that a call out to the WC is the ideal time to be bringing him into the Irish squad. Could be pretty unsettling for everyone.

I say this as a big Strauss fan btw

Medkaren wrote: »
    What exactly did cronin do wrong today? Made all his line outs the only one he didn't was because donnacha Ryan let it go through his grasp but the timing was good. Also had a good scrum carried and tackled well.. I think he's come on leaps and bounds since this time last year and think he'll be our no 1 before long

25 minutes can't dispel what we've all seen and known for a long time. He's very mobile, fantastic carrier and decent at the breakdown for a front row player. However, his throwing is dubious and our scrum is significantly weaker with him on the field. Best is miles ahead of him and will be a huge loss if confirmed. Cronin right now will struggle a fair bit to be the number one at his province let alone his country.

conf101 wrote: »
    Someone on Twitter saying that Strauss is now eligible. Wonder if he's a possibility. Don't think that a call out to the WC is the ideal time to be bringing him into the Irish squad. Could be pretty unsettling for everyone.

They're wrong. Strauss isn't eligible until autumn 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

People say a lot of things on Twitter.

If he's the best choice, then he should be called up. But I don't think he's eligible...

Not a hope of it, even if he is eligible. Nothing against him but he has ever been in camp with the irish squad and I'd hope a couple of the other lads must surely have been or played Churchill Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

That's a real pity if Best is out, he's played some excellent rugby over the last few weeks.

Sherry would be the next choice. He has been solid this season, but the chances are he won't be called upon if he does fly out, so its probably academic enough.

I don't think there's a lot between Cronin and Varley. I'd probably go for Cronin based on his familiarity and experience with the squad, Varley hasn't had the same involvement.

The main advantage Varley has is his ability to win turnovers and, he very regularly wins penalties on the deck for Munster, and that might be something the coaches will look at, especially considering how strong Warburton is on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

Not trying to derail the discussion but has anyone seen any other sources on the story that Best was taken to hospital other than Planet Rugby?

It's a wonder RTE or the BBC haven't picked up on this story yet, I mean the game finished a couple of hours ago at this stage

Advertisement