Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Pain from Running

• 12-05-2006 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi, long time listener, first time caller. I have just recently taken up running, nothing to intensive, just 30-50 mins jog once a day. I am starting to get mild back pain at the very base of my back during and after the run. I was wondering is this normal for the first few weeks while my body adjusts to this new strain? or should I see a doctor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

just as a matter on interest what type of surface are you running on. Also do you get back pains at any other time and do you do any core training

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dantes

Hi jsb, running on path then grass in park the path again. No never really get back pain any other time, but I do have an office job, so I'm sitting most of the day which prob doesnt help. No core training, should I be doing some, would this help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Dantes wrote:
    Hi jsb, running on path then grass in park the path again. No never really get back pain any other time, but I do have an office job, so I'm sitting most of the day which prob doesnt help. No core training, should I be doing some, would this help?
    You may be flat-footed. If you are then running can produce impacts which take their toll somewhere, usually shins, knees or the very base of the back to one side and/or the other. Get better running shoes, or have your feet looked at and maybe some orthopedic inserts made for them.

t-ha, I'm pretty sure I'm not flat footed, there is a good arch in my foot, I'm running in pretty decent asics, not sure of the exact model, but have been meaning to get a new pair so that might help... Thanks for the suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 greg_342

It's really just a matter of correct footwear and trying not to run on too hard a surface. Be careful, because there is a danger of osteoartiritis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 greg_342

It's really just a matter of correct footwear and trying not to run on too hard a surface. Be careful, because there is a danger of osteoartiritis.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Could be lots of reasons for this:

Flat feet / over pronation
    One leg slightly longer than the other.
    An imbalance between abs and lower back
    sciatic nerve

How recently have you started back ?? Only a couple of runs a few weeks ?
    As t-ha said you might need to have a better look at the runners you are using.

You could try to do some very light streching, see if this makes a difference.
    If it persists a visit to a physio might be the next step

Just back about 1 week now, thanks for the suggestions dermCu, if it continues I will go see a physio, hoping its just rustyness! I might ease off on the regularity and run every 2nd day for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

I took up running earlier this year and went through similar pains in the lower back. Also had pains in my shins, knees and ankles. I was very unfit before jogging so also began doing basic exercises to build up some strength in my legs and lower back/mid riff. Seemed to work. Either that or my body just got used to the new phenomenon of working out...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Sometimes when you start out running/jogging your muscles have not developed enough shock absorption and as a result your skeletal system can end up taking the brunt of the impact going up through the body with each footfall. The muscles go into spasm giving stiffness sometimes pain or can cause a facet lock of the spine.

To help alleviate this try stretching your lower back (see attachment) and see if it has a positive effect. If the pain/soreness/ stiffness continues go see your physio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

I have a similiar problem usually after sprinting I get pains on my back just below my shoulder :confused:

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    I have a similiar problem usually after sprinting I get pains on my back just below my shoulder :confused:

That sounds a wee bit different than the op's query. Try this stretch (see attachment) more for the middle of your back. Again if your symptoms persist consult your doc or physio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

SpAcEd OuT wrote:

been there, felt that! i've exactly the same problem, and i've done some research into the area - from what i've found, and it might be hard to believe, but that is a stitch:(

Thanks to all who posted replies here, especially Rogueish, will definitely be tring those stretches out.

Dantes let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

when I started jogging I sometimes got a pain in my lower back the following day. I think the reason is because where I jog has a natural incline and im running uphill so I tilt forward when Im running. Only happened for the first few weeks then it passed.

Advertisement