Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pro-ceed vs Peugeot 308 vs Ceed vs Hyundai i130???

• 12-07-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi everyone...

My car died on the M50. It had served me well but I need to get meself a new one soon. I test drove a few cars this week and my favourites were the following: (all in diesel- I am thinking of importing from the uk....)

Choice 1 is a 2008 diesel Kia Pro-ceed
    http://tinyurl.com/n8pnq8
    I have to admit its based on appearance as I think its quite a cool car- same engine as ceed below but nicer looking....

Choice 2 is a Peugot 308 diesel 1.6
    http://tinyurl.com/ktkl8f
    I like this car and this seems to be a fairly average price in the uk at the minute.

Choice 3 is a 2008 diesel Kia Ceed preferably with less than 10000mls
    http://tinyurl.com/kqf54b

Choice 4 is a 2008 diesel Hyundai i130
    http://tinyurl.com/lf8tfp

So which do people think is the best car? in terms of factors like reliability, longevity, value for money, re-sale value in say 5 years?

Any thoughts, especially if you have had experience of any of these cars would be greatly appreciated
    ta :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

i believe peugeot got the best diesel engine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Might as well buy here!! When you take into account exchange rate, vrt, nct, flights, ferry and all that it doesnt make much sense imo.

Even if you get a bargain, say Pro Ceed for 11k euro, you then have to add vrt of 3k and all the rest!

You can get a new diesel awd Impreza with 150bhp for 20k here!

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200902191447212

I have drove one of them and they are pretty rapid for a diesel.Awd and 150bhp would make motorway journeys a pleasure.

I'd imagine you could get this Pro Ceed sport for similar, but they lack the grunt of the impreza.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200924193089919

If power isnt on your list, you should look at the new fiesta, looks great and would be the most sellable out of all listed!

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200918192629299

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tazdustdevil

Thanks for comments :)

I agree the new fiesta looks nice and is a huge improvement on old ones....

Impreza is too robbable for my needs ;o) Unfortunately I aint got 20k to spend 12 is probably my upper limit....

I love that pro-ceed sport (not in white) but just dont seem to be getting value for money here..... I've calculated that I may get a pro-ceed in from uk for 12k all in all but i would need to be getting bargaining hard...

I lived in uk for a long time and I am shocked with the way that we pay so much more from new down to second hand...

Yeah, rai555, head is telling me the peugot- my heart the pro-ceed...

Yeah, rai555, head is telling me the peugot- my heart the pro-ceed...[/QUOTE]

and the 7 years ( ok you'll get 6 :) warranty worth to consider as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

id get the peugeot. the best diesel engine on the market and probably one of the most economical cars around. also in a few years it will be easier to get parts for and mecahoncs will know more about them. kias are seen as cheap cars. the poeugeot weould have a nice bit of kit on it and looks much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭germanicus

stay away from the peugeot their diesel engines are nowhere near as good as those of old. the turbos give a lot of trouble in the h.d.i's unless you service at half the recommended interval and even then aren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

Have had the Ceed and the I30 as company cars.

Ceed you are looking at the 7 year warranty

i30 5 year warranty

both cars are exactly the same just a badge different

I would go for the ceed I was getting 70 mpg from dublin to belfast
    i30 getting 63 mph from dublin to belfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

The Ceed 1.6 diesel gets fantastic reviews all round, I would definitely go for it over the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

id get the peugeot. the best diesel engine on the market and probably one of the most economical cars around. also in a few years it will be easier to get parts for and mecahoncs will know more about them. kias are seen as cheap cars. the poeugeot weould have a nice bit of kit on it and looks much better

The Kia has a standard common rail diesel engine the same as the Peugeot, so to a half decent mechanic it should hold no surprises. The Kia has a 7 year warranty compared to the misserable 2 Peugeot offers so it would seem Kia have more confidence in their product than most others. Also the Kia is no longer a cheap car as you put it, they are a budget car maker but that doesn't mean they are cheaply made. In the last few years they have raised the game for Koren car manufacturers and are as good as anything else in that price range.
    germanicus wrote: »
    stay away from the peugeot their diesel engines are nowhere near as good as those of old. the turbos give a lot of trouble in the h.d.i's unless you service at half the recommended interval and even then aren't great.

I've had that HDi engine in a Ford Focus for two years and now a Volve S40, neither have suffered any problems with turbos and both have been serviced as per their scheduled intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Row

As you quoted...
    Choice 1 is a 2008 diesel Kia Pro-ceed....I think the are a nice lookin car not sure about there diesel's .....:confused:
    +7 years warranty...seems attractive....:)
    Choice 2 is a Peugot 308 diesel 1.6....I've got a 407 1.6 hdi and i'm about to change the diesel partical filter...:eek: @ 78k ....the dual mass flywheel also needs replacment @ around 100 k..but then again most modern diesels have dpf's and dmf's nowadays so beware...:rolleyes:
    I like Peugeots but the newer one's need a nice bit of maintenance @ 85-
    100kish.....:eek:
    not sure about these but again +7 year warranty...:)
    Choice 4 is a 2008 diesel Hyundai i130:....these are jap's so they can't be bad........i like them but then again i'm a peugeot man....:)
    row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Row wrote: »
    Choice 4 is a 2008 diesel Hyundai i130:....these are jap's so they can't be bad........i like them but then again i'm a peugeot man....:)
    row.

How do Hyundai manage to be Jap but Kia Korean?

Hint: the are'nt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Kia_Automotive_Group

Stekelly wrote: »
    How do Hyundai manage to be Jap but Kia Korean?

Hint: the are'nt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Kia_Automotive_Group

My mistake....:o:o.....ahh well there somewhere out there....:D

The Hyundai i30 and Kia Cee'd are the same car with just different styling plus the Kia has a longer warranty. The 1.6 CRDi has been on sale for about 2 to 3 years now and I have heard no nightmare stories with it. It is available in two forms, 90bhp and 115bhp. The latter is available only in the top of the range model afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I rented a Hyundai i30 Sport 1.6 Diesel for 2 days in June and I have to say it was an unbelievable car. I have an RX-8 so I'm used to loadsa power and I wasn't expecting much from this i30 but I was severly wrong. It looks unreal, extremely comfortable, brilliant sound system, packs quite a punch and was highly economical. It was a '08 with 2000 miles with a price tag of 23,500. Excellent value for money imho.

That said, I haven't driven any of the other cars you mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭germanicus

bazz26 wrote: »

I've had that HDi engine in a Ford Focus for two years and now a Volve S40, neither have suffered any problems with turbos and both have been serviced as per their scheduled intervals.

but the block is the only shared component between the ford and the peugeot engine - the head turbo etc. is different

but the block is the only shared component between the ford and the peugeot engine - the head turbo etc. is different

Didn't know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

We had a Kia Sportage and it was packed full of extras and nothing, absolutely nothing, went wrong with it. Lovely well made car, which I can't say about some Toyotas, Opels, Fiats and Peugeots I've owned. I would have thought that as the OP appears to be limited in his budget, the 7 year warranty (and therefore peace of mind that any problems will be fixed for free) would have decided this question for him in favour of the Kia.

BTW, I know 3 people who have bought Peugeots in the past 4 years and had gearbox problems in all cases.

Thanks guys for all the advice...

I am still researching and from what i read on here, i need to research hard, then haggle hard. Has anyone had any good experiences with the Peugot's in the last few years?

Pro-Ceed is still the pinnacle but my limited budget may yet rule it out....

;)

Thanks guys for all the advice...

I am still researching and from what i read on here, i need to research hard, then haggle hard. Has anyone had any good experiences with the Peugot's in the last few years?

Pro-Ceed is still the pinnacle but my limited budget may yet rule it out....

;)

Try http://www.peugeotcentral.co.uk/ but i see the haven't included the 308
    section yet....:rolleyes:
    The 1.6 hdi engine's are good with plenty of power and the economy is good.
    As i said above @80-100 k the dpf will need to be changed and the eloys fluid topped up.....:rolleyes:

afaik nissan,opel,vw are now fitting dpf's to there cars so there will be no escaping in the future....:eek:

if you are buying a low mileage 308 you need not worry aboutthe dpf for awhile....:)
    I think the uk peugeots have a 3 year warranty....:cool:
    row

Thanks row :0)

quick q though. What's the rough cost of replacing those parts at 80-100k?

• Advertisement

Hi everyone...

My car died on the M50. It had served me well but I need to get meself a new one soon. I test drove a few cars this week and my favourites were the following: (all in diesel- I am thinking of importing from the uk....)

http://tinyurl.com/kqf54b

btw , i called the seller - the car is a petrol, they made mistake, the price was so goooood

Thanks row :0)

quick q though. What's the rough cost of replacing those parts at 80-100k?

Diesel partical filters replaced and additive topped up will cost you 800-850
    euro form peugeot..:eek: @ 80-100,000 miles
    But there are ways and means around that.....;)

Dual mass flywheel's (average) need replacment @ 90-110,000 miles
    There are no ways and means around that.....:( depends on your driving)
    The 1.6 hdi (dv6) engines are a great engine but (like every other diesel)the Oil Changes are very important..I change oil on my 1.6 hdi @9,000 miles
    instead of the 12k.....with 5w30 fully syn Mobil..and it help's/prolongs the dpf....replacment.....:)
    Row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Just a quick point on turbos, from figures I have seen from a certain company that fixes things on emm "call outs" to motorists that have car trouble

BMW's diesels have a higher turbo failure rate than Peugeot's with much much more expensive repairs

Row wrote: »
    Diesel partical filters replaced and additive topped up will cost you 800-850
    euro form peugeot..:eek: @ 80-100,000 miles
    But there are ways and means around that.....;)

Dual mass flywheel's (average) need replacment @ 90-110,000 miles
    There are no ways and means around that.....:( depends on your driving)
    The 1.6 hdi (dv6) engines are a great engine but (like every other diesel)the Oil Changes are very important..I change oil on my 1.6 hdi @9,000 miles
    instead of the 12k.....with 5w30 fully syn Mobil..and it help's/prolongs the dpf....replacment.....:)
    Row.

thanks row. You have been a great help. I am going to have to haggle the one I am looking at down a bit more, factor in the future turbo replacement issues and hope for the best!

thanks row. You have been a great help. I am going to have to haggle the one I am looking at down a bit more, factor in the future turbo replacement issues and hope for the best!

Your welcome...and best of luck with your purchase....:)
    row

Advertisement