Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thornbridge beers.

• 10-01-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know who distributes Thornbridge beers in Ireland?

Need somebody in Cork to stock this beer.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

I contacted Thornbridge directly regarding supply in the Limerick area, no reply.

I also contacted O'Briens with the same question and was told that they have no plans to stock the beers.

If you find a supply please let me know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Fairly sure it's Grand Cru. Ask your beer-savvy retailer to talk to Wally.

Surprised Bradley's don't have them, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

bradleys will stock any beer more or less if a rep goes to them. they have seriously improved in recent times and i think are now almost top dog.( at least every bit as good for uk beers). they have the 4 for 10 on a massive range. inc 4 golden pride 500ml ( 8.5%) for 10 . bang for buck its great value

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »

Ah, Wally hasn't yet worked out the logistics of supplying somewhere like Bradley's who'd only want a few cases of beer at a time. At the moment it's just The Bierhaus and, occasionally, The Abbot's that Wally supplies.
    I'll pass the information on, though.
    Thanks BN;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

You could drop Redmond's a line i'am sure they would tell you the suppliers

• Advertisement

Funny, I can't find any online presence for Grand Cru. Is there a website? Is it part of the Porterhouse group?
    I do have a number for Wally, though.

Is there a website?
    Nope.
    Is it part of the Porterhouse group?
    Sort of, yes.
    I do have a number for Wally, though.
    You have the number for Grand Cru Global Corporate Headquarters, so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Is this a shot in the dark or are they any good? Name doesn't ring a bell...

They're often cited as one of the best breweries in the UK, alongside the likes of The Kernel and Magic Rock.

Of the bottled range we get here, the St Petersburg Imperial Stout is excellent, as is the Kipling Pale Ale. It's expensive stuff, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Great brewery - had a few beers when I was over in the UK from their selection. I was in Bakewell & Buxton in Derbyshire (and drove past their front gate). They breed wild boar on the same estate.

I was in a pub near there with Thornbridge on tap and wild boar on the menu. How many places in Ireland source their food/ beer as locally as that?

It's a shame, I've never seen any of their brews over here.

• Advertisement

trackguy wrote: »
    How many places in Ireland source their food/ beer as locally as that?
    A few. O'Brien's in Lismore springs to mind.

That place looks great!

On the main I just feel, in Ireland, we could learn alot from the way things are done in England between brewers, producers, pubs, restaurants etc

Very true. The best thing to do is give your business to the people who are doing it right.

And seriously good it is too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Of the bottled range we get here, the St Petersburg Imperial Stout is excellent, as is the Kipling Pale Ale. It's expensive stuff, though.

My Dad's a big fan of Jaipur, I'm not that into it though. Haven't been able to get Kipling for a while, never tried it while it was around. Must get on that.

I've got a bottle of St. Petersburg in the fridge but I'm never in the mood to drink such a strong beer...

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

trackguy wrote: »
    Great brewery - had a few beers when I was over in the UK from their selection. I was in Bakewell & Buxton in Derbyshire (and drove past their front gate). They breed wild boar on the same estate.

I was in a pub near there with Thornbridge on tap and wild boar on the menu. How many places in Ireland source their food/ beer as locally as that?

It's a shame, I've never seen any of their brews over here.

That sounds fantastic. And I bet it was reasonably priced too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 psymonok

Bradleys are looking for a supplier for Thornbridge, they'll get it in as soon as they find one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Had a pint Of Pica Pica last night which is an oatmeal stout. Excellent beer with a terrific earthiness and wholesome flavour to it.

Enjoy it if you can find it.

Bradley's in Cork just got in Kipling, Jaipup, Bracia and Tzara:D:D

Also some new beers in the 4 for €10 range and he's rearranged the shelves.
    Lookin' good;)

Anyone reckon the Barcia is worth the €12 price tag?

Just having the Jaipur now. Really nice light hoppy ale with a good solid dry finish. Would be one of my favourite English ales but I'm a bit of a hop head at the moment and i think its a bit of a case of great english ale or good standard American ipa. Now I know that hype always dilutes your overall impression but I just think the Americans have taken the style to new levels and this doesn't quite get there. Having said that though if this was readily available I would pick it up again but the price (€4.19 in Bradley's) means it would be 1 bottle every now and again rather than the few o'haras ipa's (2.19 in tesco) that seem to reside in my fridge!

• Advertisement

Anyone reckon the Barcia is worth the €12 price tag?[/Quote]

I would be tempted to share a bottle...

Desmonds on Fr.Russell Rd. in Limerick 061 307780 tell me that they will have Thornbridge in stock next week.

Gotta say that I was a little under whelmed by the Jaipur - I just found it a bit thin, nice but thin.
    There are so many beers that I like in the 4 for €10 range that I probably wouldn't pay the slight premium for this beer again.
    Gotta try the Kipling yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

i had the jaipur on cask in the falcon in clapham junction...thought it was fantastic....must try a bottle to compare ..sounds like the bottle doesnt do it justice ,,i will try and report back

i had the jaipur on cask in the falcon in clapham junction...thought it was fantastic....must try a bottle to compare ..sounds like the bottle doesnt do it justice ,,i will try and report back

I can imagine a cask version being amazing allright but for now it will have to remain in my imagination!
    I can't think of any cask beer I've had that is better in bottle.

Tried the Kipling last night and found it much more to my taste than the Jaipur.
    Lovely light citrusy, hoppy beer.

Picked up some Thornbridge beers in Deveney's today - Jaipur, Wild Swan and Kipling.

I've tried the Kipling on tap in the UK and it was full of passinfruit and citrus, can't wait to try it again.

Got around to tasting the Bracia the other night.
    Very interesting, big, dark, complex well made beer. I liked it.
    Would I buy another at around €12.
    No chance.

At twice the price or thereabouts or Nogne O it just doesn't stand up, for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kipling in the Salthouse soon. Not a bad price either for a bar at just over €7.

• Advertisement

I have a bottle at home that I'm waiting to try. Is it really worth €7 a bottle in a pub? I paid €5.50 for bottles of GH and O'Hara's recently which I though was okish. Is Kipling worth the extra €1.50? Bottle beer is very poor value in a pub IMO. You're paying a lot to rent shelf space.

Advertisement