Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Towel Shave Experience

• 24-05-2011 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

This one is not for me.

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263364514a8034a400032724db9410aa96af8.jpg
    I did the Grooming Room thing hair cut etc and the barber took one look at my facial fuzz and laughed and said I think you should have a manicure instead.

But jeez lads - its got a facial & sometimes facials come with "extractions" which means getting your spots squeezed.

Edit The link

http://www.boardsdeals.ie/deal/30-Hot-Towel-Shave-and-Facial-at-Irish-Barber/259/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

If your looking for a decent hot towel shave in Dublin check out
    http://www.alisturkishbarbershop.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

I gone for the towel shave on a number of occasions, usually before a wedding with the groom, but I was never overly impressed with the result - would be a better shave from a cheap pack of disposables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i saw this on the front page and thought "but i usually pay €32 for a hot towel shave anyway?", until i clicked through and saw the normal price - €60??

are they for real? i acknowledge and can fully accept that prices are dearer in Dublin, but this is a complete rip!

how much generally do guys pay for a hot towel shave?

i also wouldn't agree with the contention that the same results can be achieved with a disposable, in fairness, usually after i've had a hot shave i'd have a face as smooth as a baby's arse for about two days after before i can feel stubble start to come out again! :D

figaros in limerick btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I normally pay €50 and go every few months, mostly for the hotness of the woman who does it to be honest :D
    The price gets me a very, very good shave, a head neck and shoulder massage, a tidy up of the hair and neck, and with sadly increasing frequency, the ears nose and eyebrows trimmed.

Good value for me and I enjoy it. Sam's Barbers, on Ormond Quay....in TOWN ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You could pay some hot women €50 and get a different "treatment" if you know what I mean, so don't be lying about why you go for the shave :P

I can't say getting a hot towel shave would be my thing, you'll still get regrowth after a day or three and you'll be down €30 for the privilege, or €50/€60. I wouldn't spend €60 on shaving in a two years period myself, all I need are blades & soaps :)

I might be tempted at €10 or €15, but definitely no more than that I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

€15 for a hot towel shave.

Have had it done once, as part of a Wedding Fair, complete with singeing Impressed, but not in a huge hurry to get it done again. I got just a good a shave with my DE, taking my time and doing 4 passes.

But paying €60? Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I've noticed a huge variation in Dublin (and elsewhere) in the quality of a hot towel shave experience. On some of my bad experiences, I've variously been left red raw, finished off with a disposable and even once been shaved with a Mach3!!!

Some of my good experiences however have been glorious, some not just for the shave. I had a amazing shave (the stories, not particularly the shave) with Angel the barber in Seligman on Route 66 (http://www.route66giftshop.com/angel.html), got my first experience of threading after a shave in Egypt.

In Dublin I have had good experiences at the Regent barbers in Temple Bar, The Irish Barbers off Grafton Street, The Barbers just off Emmet Rd in Kilmainham (cheap) and The Grooming rooms (top dollar) to name a few - however part of the reason I learned to straight shave was that I felt paying €30+ for a shave of variable quality was a bit over the top. Nothing I have experienced in the barber shop has been as satisfying as learning how to shave myself with a cutthroat. My next step is to take one of the razors I have honed myself for a shave-off with one of Liam's razors at the Waldof. I'll be interested to see what he thinks of my edge. :D Liam apparantly doesn't use a shavette.

I guess my point would be that nothing is like the edge of a cutthroat, a shavette (which is what you are most likely to be shaved with) will get close to that feel but not quite as smooth as a 'proper' straight. So I guess one option is to get your hands on a shave ready straight you can either hand it to your favourite barber or take matters into your own hands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Had one done, the day of my wedding, in Japan. Worked out about £25 quid, I think. Worth every damn penny :D

After the barber shaved me, I tried to say to her that I liked it in Japanese but it came out as "I love you", which embarrassed her and my bride to be gave me a bit of a scolding :D

old hippy wrote: »
    Had one done, the day of my wedding, in Japan. Worked out about £25 quid, I think. Worth every damn penny :D

After the barber shaved me, I tried to say to her that I liked it in Japanese but it came out as "I love you", which embarrassed her and my bride to be gave me a bit of a scolding :D

Legend! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Pay 25quid in Turkish barbers in Waterford. Get the hair trimmed aswel (usually just the V cut back in) and the line through the eyebrow, hot shave and a shoulder rub. Feck it im going tomorrow after work!

• Advertisement

xsiborg wrote: »
    i saw this on the front page and thought "but i usually pay €32 for a hot towel shave anyway?", until i clicked through and saw the normal price - €60??

are they for real? i acknowledge and can fully accept that prices are dearer in Dublin, but this is a complete rip!

how much generally do guys pay for a hot towel shave?!

If you read the deal again it is a shave and a facial, which is a good deal as his shaves are normally €32, and if you are nice you'll get a glass of wine*

*you may not get a glass of wine. But I did so yah boo to you. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

how much generally do guys pay for a hot towel shave?

i also wouldn't agree with the contention that the same results can be achieved with a disposable, in fairness, usually after i've had a hot shave i'd have a face as smooth as a baby's arse for about two days after before i can feel stubble start to come out again! :D

figaros in limerick btw!

I normally pay €20 when I do get it. That's at Ali's on Aungier St.

I agree that there's a wild variation in prices around Dublin. The barbershop mentioned in the deal is once of the most expensive around. I was looking to try out other shops recently (for comparison purposes) and found this. With the reduced price it's the same price as the Waldorf Barbers. So IMO, not really a deal as such. :confused:

EDIT: just saw it includes a facial also, so i guess that's a better deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Dord wrote: »
    I was looking to try out other shops recently (for comparison purposes)

I only trust Ali with my sideburns :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

figaros in limerick btw!

Where are they in Limerick, and how much do they charge? I'm looking to branch out and try a few different places, having gone to Stapleton's on O'Connell St. twice before.
    I might be tempted at €10 or €15, but definitely no more than that I'm afraid

The place I mentioned above charges €10 for a hot towel shave, but Limerick might be a bit out of the way for you!

Where are they in Limerick, and how much do they charge?

http://limerick.ratemyarea.com/places/figaro-barber-shop-125567

Bedford Row IO... :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66800909&postcount=11
    i also tried the towel shave in figaros, just out of curiosity as i'd never shaved with a cut-throat razor before. man, the guy REALLY knew what he was doing, even though i was frozen as a stone in the seat, haha, and then he proceeded to massage oils into my face and work the tension outta my shoulders! fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Thank God that deal is over.

It was embarressing

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263361cd6db0acdfb43b4cbe25c46098fc4b8.jpg
    Heaven Face and Body
    • 2Days
    • 8Hours
    • 41Mins
    • 33Secs
    left to buy this deal

75 / 500 bought, the deal is on!

• Value€595
    • Discount83%
    • You Save€496

Laser Hair Removal 6 sessions

Him " Darling I got you this great deal on Boards"

Her "Are you saying I'm hairy "

http://www.boardsdeals.ie/deal/99-instead-of-595-for-6-laser-sessions-on-Bikini-Line-and-Under-Arms-at-Heaven-Ashbourne/262/

Laser Hair Removal 6 sessions

Save it for when she really p1ssed you off, then buy her the voucher as a 'sorry'. MUHAHHAHAHHAH

Most agony ever according to my wife. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

MadsL wrote: »
    Save it for when she really p1ssed you off, then buy her the voucher as a 'sorry'. MUHAHHAHAHHAH

The OH is a redhead and most lazer hair removal dont work on them.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

A hot towel shave is brilliant, I had it done a few times in Bangkok whilst on Holidays in Thailand during spring and it was excellent and I was a little apprehensive at first but then it was totally ok, like another guy the hotness of the girl doing it was as good a reason as any to get it done :rolleyes:, cost around €5 in baht, I tipped like €2. I then got a manicure, pedicure, facial massage and my hair cut all for less than €20, it is a good way to spend time there and be treated like a king by people making an honest living in a den of inequity.

Now back to being a "real man" and washing my face with sand and shaving with a piece of broken glass!

a "real man" and washing my face with sand and shaving with a piece of broken glass!
    Don't forget the petrol 'splash' afterwards! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

CDfm wrote: »
    The OH is a redhead and most lazer hair removal dont work on them.:D

:eek: Please tell me that it is only attractive redheaded wimminz who have become immune to lasers!? As opposed to the male version (aka souless daywalker freaks), how will our grand children fend off gingers if they cant use lasers?! :D

A hot towel shave is expensive but well woth it for the experience at least once. Always give that old school feel. You expect to walk outside and be greeeted by a red and white rotating pole.

Advertisement