Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art / crafts courses/ events you would recommend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JansStuff

Hi, This September I'm delighted :D to be starting up 2 x 10 Week Workshops in handmade card making in South Dublin. On Tuesday nights I'll be in Newpark Adult Education Centre, Blackrock www.newparknightschool.ie and on Wednesday nights I'll be in Cabinteely Adult Education Centre, Cabinteely Dublin 18 www.cabinteelycs.ie/night_school.htm . If you're interested in Morning classes, then please contact me by PM and register your intererst - if I get enough enrollments I'll start up morning classes in Sandyford and/or Cabinteely. :)

Details on my EVENING Classes:
    This class will equip you with the inspiration and know-how to create fantastic handmade cards using simple materials that you can find at home or very reasonably in local shops. During these classes I’ll demonstrate various sample cards, card layout and styles, giving you advice and tips on how to use your materials to make great cards. I’ll bring along my card making tools - guillotine, punches, a die-cutting machine (used to cut shapes from paper) card labels and card templates for you to use in making your cards. I use everyday household materials in inventive ways and hope to teach you ow to get the most from each item you have. My aim is to create and inspire!

For all classes please bring along bits and pieces that you'd like to use on your cards - wool, ribbon, buttons, doilies, wallpaper, material scraps, wrapping paper .. anything that is light and can be stuck onto a card!! If you have a specific card project you'd like to do then I'll be happy to help you design your cards and provide advice on where to source your materials. At all classes we'll be making cards, using what you have brought along with some of my own materials

• Registered Users Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There is a art exhibition on at the Oslo bar in Salthill in conjunction with the Volvo Ocean Race which starts at 6 pm tonight. The art work is by Jeremiah ODea who is a lino carving artist, his work will be displayed throughout the bar, wine and food will be laid on for the event tonight. So come along if you are free tonight and have a look. https://www.facebook.com/events/460678287278698/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Belle.

Hi all!

I'm hoping to start up a half day course in which I can help people who would like to build up a portfolio for themselves. For people and students who are hoping to pursue a Level 5 or 6 Portfolio course, what you should know going into your course and the basic 'Do's and Don’ts'! How to make your work unique to you! People who would just like a few extra tips on portfolio building and how to get the points/results you want to pursue your career/studies in art. Everybody has their own style so why not find out how to use it to your advantage?

I know how stressful building a portfolio can be, so let yourself get a head start or a helping hand from someone who has experience! I had a lot of questions about my portfolio and what work I should include, even the layout of my work, and I found it is often hard to get a straight answer.

Courses will be run in Longford, Mullingar, Cavan, Athlone and can go further afield. Roughly from 10am to 3.30pm For further information or answers to any questions ***Send PM***
    PS; if you know of anyone who may be interested please like and share the page with them to spread the word. I'm here to help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Weekend in the Woods, 29th/30th September 2012, Bealkelly Wood, Tuamgraney, Co.Clare, www.celtnet.org, 061-640765. €130/adult

Hope this is allowed. I saw this notice in the Botanic Gardens a few days ago and took a photo of it, quite a lot of traditional crafts, what might be described as ‘rustic’ crafts. I remembered some enquiries on this thread and hope it is of interest to others. Unable to recommend myself as I haven’t done any of these courses but here is the list anyway:

Musical Instrument Making
    Knife Making
    Bowl & Spoon Making
    Blacksmithing
    Coppersmithing
    Natural Building
    Herb-Lore
    Basketry
    Boatbuilding
    Fishing
    Felt Craft
    Rustic Furniture Making
    Longbow Making
    Wood Carving
    Spinning / Weaving & Natural Dyeing
    Adventure Bushcraft (8-14 yrs)
    Dry-Stone & Lime Mortar Walling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I meant to post this up earlier, I'm heading down to it during the week but it has officially started today: Art in the Open, 2012 in Wexford.

http://www.artintheopen.org/

Have been along the last couple of years and it's a great festival - 7 days of plein air painting in spectacular locations in south-east Ireland.
    Paint Out's are free to attend and open to all, there are workshops which are open to those who are booked into the festival and there will be an exhibition of over 250 pieces done during the festival days.

If anyone is around Wexford over the week I'm sure you'd enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Rockhound

D15 studios is running a 6 week Stone Carving course.

The evening course takes place on Monday Nights for 6 weeks beginning Sept 3rd from 6.30pm to 9.30pm Course cost €200, deposit €100.
    The weekend course takes place on Saturday Sept 1st and Sunday Sept 2nd from 9.30am 5.00pm Course cost €200, deposit €100.

The course is suitable for all levels, including beginners. Participants will be tutored on a one-to-one basis to support each person in realising their own project. Participants may be able to go away with a finished piece of work or with a sculpture that can be easily finished away from the studio. You may already have an idea of what you wish to carve. If you have no set ideas then that is fine; a suitable project can be set for you. Materials and tools will be provided, the only thing necessary to bring are steel capped safety boots.

contact me if you are interested

www.richardhealysculptures.com

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maisie

I am holding a Reborn Workshop on September 15th and 16th in Dublin.
    Over the two days, everything will be provided to make your own Reborn. You will be taught how to mix and apply the paints,build up the layers to achieve a natural skin tone and finally assemble your baby.
    You will have a wonderful sense of achievement when you take home your own 18/20 inch reborn baby.
    Contact me for more details.
    Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 39 little.rose

hi, this is some information on a tour of Cork for lovers of wool, knitting, yarn, and all those fiber artists > http://www.discoveringcork.ie/blog/wool-lovers-tour-of-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hadas

A chance for you to display your arts and crafts this November (25th) in the Westgrove Hotel in Clane, Co. Kildare.

Check it out on www.clanechristmasfair.com

I'm currently enroling for Morning Card Making Classes in Sandyford Community Centre, Lambs Cross. Details: Thursday mornings, 10.30 - 12.30, all materials included. Cost 100 euro for 5 weeks, 150 euro for 8 weeks.
    Learn how to make cards using everyday materials, get to try out different card toppers, different blank cards and use my extensive collection of punches and materials. I provide the inspiration and guidance along with great money-saving card making tips! :p

• Advertisement

Handmade Christmas Card Making Workshops - I'll hold 1 - 2 special classes on making your own Christmas Cards using simple card, material, punches and napkins! Contact me for details - workshops wil be held during November 2012 in Sandyford Dublin 18. :D

Hi, that's great. How much does a table cost, I'd be interested in selling my handmade cards, thanks, Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

For anyone into modelling or maybe making cake deorations ( i make baby toppers with it) fimo are in Ireland next week. Looks like its only Bray, Wicklow and Dublin at the moment tho

more details here

• Registered Users Posts: 5 yvonne tune

Christmas Card Making Workshop
    with Card Art Kilcoole
    Saturday the 6thof October
    In Kinsealy,Parish Hall,

Kinsealy,Malahide.
    Time 10.00 to 5.30

contact via PM only

Theme;The Essence of Christmas

We will make 4 beautiful kits on the day,
    and you will receive 1 extra fully prepared kit to make at home. all kits come with instructions.
    Full details are on our website cardarteventskilcoole.blogspot.ie
    Many Thanks Yvonne

• Registered Users Posts: 1 changetion

Hi all, I run a knitting circle for 091 labs, a makerspace in Galway. We meet monthly on the second saturday of the month. Our next meeting is the 13th of October at 4 pm. The official announcement, as well as directions/map to the location, can be found here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 yvonne tune

Creative Card Making Workshop
    With Yvonne Tune Card Art Kilcoole
    Saturday the 17th of November
    In The Gold Coast Hotel
    Dungarvan Co Waterford
    Time 10.00 to 5.30

Theme; Shabby Chic Christmas and Beyond
    We will make 4 beautiful kits on the day, and you will receive 1 extra fully prepared kit to make at home.
    Which is demonstrated at the end of the day

Morning
    Card 1. Christmas, Treasures
    Card 2. Christmas, Keepsakes
    Afternoon
    Card 3 Birthday, Butterfly Bliss
    Card 4. Birthday, Lavender and Lace

Demonstration
    Card 5. Birthday, Vintage Reminiscence

All kits come with full instructions, so you can repeat the design at home.

Full details on http://cardarteventskilcoole.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Bobby_Kennedy

Zir Laaki Painting

A Unique and Exciting Workshop

Zir Laaki is a Persian technique from the 14th century; it is also used in some other countries.

It is basically painting on papier maché. You will learn how to prepare the surface to paint and how to cover the painting with different mediums to make the work shiny and look like an old oil painting.

Also you will learn to draw some fantastic Middle Eastern patterns named Golo Morgh and Eslimi.

We will then paint the patterns on objects such as mirror frames or photograph frames.

The workshop will be on Saturday and Sunday, November 24th and 25th 2012 in Temple Bar, Dublin 2.

Time: Saturday - 12 to 5 pm and Sunday - 12 to 4 pm.
    Venue: Upper Exhange Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2
    We will have breaks with coffee and tea, and Iranian sweets.

All the material will be provided (mirror, cardboard, colour paints, brushes, patterns, etc.)

Price for two-day workshop and material is 60 Euros
    Please book before November 21st.

Contact Roxana Manouchehri
    Mod Snip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

if your at the art exhibition over the weekend at thr RDS check out stand 80 noel kelly artist for something completly different.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

In Athenry Co. Galway we're hoping to start/develop a Christmas market, outdoors, in the local square. We're not out to make a 'profit' so stalls are seriously affordable, we just would love to have a simple three day market. It'll be in mid December to bring back the life to the town and see how it goes. If there are crafters out there (with there own outdoor stalls) we'd love to hear from you (PM me). There's limited space and we've just a couple of spaces left.

The idea is it's a Christmas Market for Irish produced goods, to showcase local crafts and to encourage shoppers to buy irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Bobby_Kennedy

Zir Laaki Painting

A Unique and Exciting Workshop

Zir Laaki is a Persian technique from the 14th century; it is also used in some other countries.

It is basically painting on papier maché. You will learn how to prepare the surface to paint and how to cover the painting with different mediums to make the work shiny and look like an old oil painting.

Also you will learn to draw some fantastic Middle Eastern patterns named Golo Morgh and Eslimi.

We will then paint the patterns on objects such as mirror frames or photograph frames.

The workshop will be on Saturday and Sunday, November 24th and 25th 2012 in Temple Bar, Dublin 2.

Time: Saturday - 12 to 5 pm and Sunday - 12 to 4 pm.
    Venue: Upper Exhange Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2
    We will have breaks with coffee and tea, and Iranian sweets.

All the material will be provided (mirror, cardboard, colour paints, brushes, patterns, etc.)

Price for two-day workshop and material is 60 Euros

Contact by PM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

School of Art, Design & Printing

The School will be holding its open day and portfolio clinic for new applicants for the 2012/2013 academic year on Wednesday December 12th. For further information please see below

Art, Design & Printing @ DIT

Open Day & Portfolio Clinic

Wednesday, 12th December 2012

As places are limited to 100 attendees per session you must register your attendance and preferred session by emailing artdesignprinting@dit.ie as soon as possible.

SESSION 1

Time: 12 noon
    Title: Introduction to Programmes (about 45 minutes)

Time: 1pm
    Title: Portfolio Clinic (5 minute consultation per portfolio)

SESSION 2

Time: 2pm
    Title: Introduction to Programmes

Time: 3pm

SESSION 3

Time: 4pm
    Title: Introduction to Programmes

Time: 5pm

Canteen facilities will be available on the day.

If you have any queries in relation to this Open Day please email artdesignprinting@dit.ie or telephone Elaine, School Administrator in the School of Art Design Printing on (01) 402 4138.

We look forward to seeing you on the day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Just giving this a wee bump as to remind people its on this Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭pinkieschick

Basket Weaving Course

There is a basket weaving course being held in January 12th and 13th from 10am to 4pm both days in Newport co tipperary area, i did the course and loved it i managed to make two baskets over the weekend and think i am completely hooked. The instructor Hanna is really talented and the baskets she has made are fantastic she also showed us a house that she had made for her children from the willow it was beautiful. PM for her mobile number or email address :) [Mid snip ]

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭KazM

Update:

Meeting times amended in post title :D
    KazM wrote: »
    Knit, Crochet, Cross-Stitch - whatever your craft, come along and join the group to share knowledge and banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paulap

hi guys
    looking for a class in the dublin westmeath areas......havea degree in fine art but been out of things for a long time and wanting to immerse myself in craft/mix media/textile type day courses or regular meetings
    thanking you in advance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Brid83

I am displaying some of my art work (photography and oil paintings) in an exhibition called "A work of HeART" in Tuam. It is running for the month of January in the News Cafe above Easons in the Square. Every month, they kindly allow a local artist to display their work. Pop in for a look if you are passing. I would really appreciate feedback as its my first solo exhibition. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

paulap wrote: »
    hi guys
    looking for a class in the dublin westmeath areas......havea degree in fine art but been out of things for a long time and wanting to immerse myself in craft/mix media/textile type day courses or regular meetings
    thanking you in advance:)

Ho there.
    Theres a craft club in Kilbeggan every Monday night at 7.30 seemingly. Havent checked it out yet but intend to over the next few weeks.
    Also...am hoping to try and set up a craft club in Mullingar over the next few weeks/months so will keep you posted if that materialises xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

UPDATE!!

Mullingar Craft Cirlce will take place each and every Tuesday evening @ 7pm in The Youth Cafe, Spoutwell Lane, Mullingar.
    Please come along and bring a friend! And be sure to tell anyone you know who may be interested but who may not be on here!
    If you are working on a project please bring it along!
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 printer12

Weekend Course - Drypoint and etching - January 26th and 27th 2013 - 10 am to 5 pm

The course covers the preparation, making and printing of plate using creatively a variety of greener techniques. This course aims all levels of experience and participants are encouraged to bring sketch books, drawings and photographs for inspiration in the making of new works. In this course we will be exploring textures, lines and composition. Tutor will provide assistance in all aspects of the process, including discussion of ideas and orientation for the development and creation of works. At the end of this course students will have produced a great range of prints through the medium of etching and drypoint, experimenting also with color. Students will be able to differentiate between the techniques and also use professional equipment and tools (printing press, ink, acids and drypoints).

Runs from 10 am- 5pm, Saturday and Sunday

Cost: €140

tutor: Debora Ando

to book the course please SEND PM for email details.

Six week course - Introduction to Etching - Monday evenings - February 4th - March 11th - 6pm to 8.30pm

This course will run for 6 weeks, from 6pm to 8.30pm, every Monday. It is suitable for beginners as well as for those who would like to refresh their knowledge and skills. Program includes hard and soft ground etching, aquatint and drypoint on aluminium and copper. The course also covers important aspects of printmaking such as printing and editioning your own work.

Cost: €175

to book the course please email me at SEND PM for email details.

Six week course - Creative Approaches to Etching - Thursday evenings - February 7th to March 14th - 6.15pm to 9.15pm

This course is aimed to those who have a good knowledge of basic etching methods and would like to develop extra skills and experiment with different techniques, grounds, printing using multi plates/ multi layers, colours, papers and textures. This course covers chine colle, sugar lift, white ground, non-toxic aquatint ground, and further exploration of hard and soft ground. Students can expect to build up a strong and exciting portfolio with confidence and creativity. It will run for 6 weeks, from 6.15 – 9.15pm.

Cost: €185

to book the course please email me at SEND PM for email details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Logos1997

Hi
    I am looking for a professional teacher ( art class or private in studio ) who would give classes in portrait painting .
    Tullamore area , but would go as far as Mullingar direction or Portlaoise - Portarlington for the right class .
    If you know of anyone please post here or PM, thanks !!

Advertisement