Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove sitting into fireplace.

• 16-10-2010 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi, has anybody done a stove like this http://www.waterfordstanley.com/ImagesProducts/Erin-Setting-Large.jpg

I was just woundering what distance would you want to leave at the sides and top of stove. i was planning on putting a wooden mantel surround and woundered if the heat would damage it. also what could i put at the back and sides as i know skim plaster would crack.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We recessed our stove back into the fireplace when building new, you can see it's only about 75% back into the opening..
    We did a sand-cement plaster in round the stove and have had no problems from heat..

We finished the opening with a custom polished stainless surround with no mantle at all...

Here's a photo of it in progress
    30bstove.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

Bbam have you any photos of the finished set up. Pictures always tell so much more than words.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

fiestaman wrote: »
    I was just woundering what distance would you want to leave at the sides and top of stove. i was planning on putting a wooden mantel surround and woundered if the heat would damage it. also what could i put at the back and sides as i know skim plaster would crack.
    Refer to manufacturers spec.
    Just because, say 200mm, is ok for one stove it might not suit all stoves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

changes wrote: »
    Bbam have you any photos of the finished set up. Pictures always tell so much more than words.

Here you go...
    We're happy with the results and the recessed look is just what we were after, and the heat is wonderful, the stove is lit most evenings now (thus a bit dusty in this pic :o)...
    stovef.th.jpg

Advertisement