Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Club League suspended

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I might go out again for a spin on Wed if it's not raining* and do a few laps of the planned Ardcath circuit (if I can remember the turns!). I did Grallagh last Wednesday on me tobler but met Adam on the second lap and we hammered it around for one lap together then headed home.

I'll probably decide on Wed see what the weather is like if I'm going to head out or not if anyone wants to join in. Pace I would like to hit is about a SCC league Group 3ish (or slow Group 4).

*I am made of sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

Great Idea lets restart the league without marshals! :)

No No No. This is not what I mean. I'm just going for a spin to stretch the legs, no racing whatsoever. A bit like those Tuesday spins at the beginning of the league a few months ago without it being arranged by SCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Hungrycol wrote: »

No No No. This is not what I mean. I'm just going for a spin to stretch the legs, no racing whatsoever. A bit like those Tuesday spins at the beginning of the league a few months ago without it being arranged by SCC.

Disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Gotcha... ;) not a race ;) ... what'll the head start be for those who want to do this "spin" at a group 2 pace.. ;)
    :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Any idea what's going on with this? Im sure Im not the only one who has to make special arrangements to get out to race on Weds eve. If this is to be the death of the Swordscc league then I will begin to find something else to do. Anyone know anymore as the club website has no further information since suspension was imposed.:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Any idea what's going on with this? Im sure Im not the only one who has to make special arrangements to get out to race on Weds eve. If this is to be the death of the Swordscc league then I will begin to find something else to do. Anyone know anymore as the club website has no further information since suspension was imposed.:(

Work is going on in the background and will hopefully come to a resolution very soon. The club has specifically asked that details are not discussed openly on boards/twitter/facebook or similar as this may make things worse.

You shuda come out on our swim last night. Very enjoyable*.

*this is not true

You shuda come out on our swim last night. Very enjoyable*.

[SIZE="1"]*this is not true[/SIZE]

+1. My gear is still dripping!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I was feeling very smug about my decision not to accompany you but now I am standing in my cleats looking out at the wind and rain.

• Advertisement

I was feeling very smug about my decision not to accompany you but now I am standing in my cleats looking out at the wind and rain.

Watch the tour highlights instead. It's on an hour earlier today at 8!

Please tell me one mans quest to ruin my summer is over? :mad:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The clubs is still working on it but it appears holidays and the like have delayed things a little

The weather Gods and Met Eireann have done a sterling job with that already, no?

Sorry, to ruin the months with more daylight hours! If the garda is on holidays whats the problem? :)

Sorry, to ruin the months with more daylight hours! If the garda is on holidays whats the problem? :)

Sounds like he needs to tick a box and cant do it from a sunlounger in Majorca.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

Relate note - race in Surrey (home to part of the Olympic road race) gets cancelled by police:
    I had a lurking suspicion that it may be something to do with the police that seemed to be spending their entire morning, and half of Surrey's Force (oh OK, we counted 4 vehicles of various types) following us, and essentially trying to catch us doing something wrong. Now this is obviously fine, they may have responded to reports of poor riding, or whatever, its their job to keep the peace and all that.

http://firstseasoncycling.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/corri-dorri-sl-23-road-race.html

Has the League moved from suspended to canceled? :mad:

Club members: check your email there's and update email from the Club Secretary on the League.

League cancelled for 2012 and a lot of new measures required to be put in place for 2013. I presume it won't be long before all these changes will be required for all Club Leagues around the country.

Club members: check your email there's and update email from the Club Secretary on the League.

League cancelled for 2012 and a lot of new measures required to be put in place for 2013. I presume it won't be long before all these changes will be required for all Club Leagues around the country.

Are you allowed say what sort of measures? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

buffalo wrote: »

Clandestine?

buffalo wrote: »

That would be an ecumenical matter.

Do my marshalling credits carry over to next year :rolleyes:.
    If not, I will make sure to marshall the last 2 races of the league next year!
    North County Dublin is safe for another year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I would be very interested to find out what measures are deemed necessary?

@Beasty - since you are both a mod and a member of SwordsCC would it be possible to inform people as to what is required.

This is not merely idle curiosity, but has potential implications for races, sportifs and even club training runs throughout the country.
    Ie witness the recent Tour de Munster complaint thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Inquitus wrote: »
    I have a few points / questions on this issue:

1) I presume the position taken by this particular Guard could be applied to all racing currently held in Ireland with the exception of bigger events such as the Rás ,the national Championships etc. ?
    2) Is this the Guards personal professional opinion? or is he acting with the backing of the local Garda Superintendent. Clearly it would be remiss of him to act unilaterally, rather he should get a senior figure from the local Gardai to approach the club in formal discussion with an aim to resolve the issue in a satisfactory way for both parties if possible.
    3) He certainly did raise some valid issues, but his tone is poor and his missive is poorly written and confrontational rather then engaging.

The Incident in question may have been witnessed by a guard but the letter would have been issued from the swords district superintendent. A guard would not take it upon himself to issue any form of letter without the backing of his superintendent.

CJC999 wrote: »
    The Incident in question may have been witnessed by a guard but the letter would have been issued from the swords district superintendent. A guard would not take it upon himself to issue any form of letter without the backing of his superintendent.

I would be interested in knowing if this is accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Guys,

Here's the letter i sent. Nothing too radical in it. As swordscc run races within the Jurisdiction of Balbgiggan Gardai, it may or may not affect other clubs.

As i state in the letter, I think this is a positive situation as it should make road races that bit safer for everybody.

"This means that before we can race next year, the club must prepare a Risk Assessment Document and submit it to the Gardai before the Club League commences. The Gardai will review this document and then determine exactly what assistance is required. This Document will include the following:

· Dates and times of all Races.
    · Maps of each Circuit that will be used
    o (The Map will indicate the location of each Marshal)
    · The number of Lead cars, Motorbikes etc.
    · Details of Medical Cover
    · Name of the Chief Marshal for each Race
    · An Accident Management plan etc.
    In order to provide this information, the way we organise the League will have to change for 2013.

· Improved Advance notification of upcoming races in Garristown/Ballboughal area
    · Introduce better “Marshal Training” for all members
    · More Signs advising oncoming traffic of a “bike race in progress”
    · “Pre-Registration” for all Riders and Marshals.
    · The number of riders at each race will have to be limited.
    · Marshals will have to be confirmed well in advance of all races.
    · Visitors will have to be limited to “Invited Visitors Only”
    · Stricter penalties for rider who race in a dangerous or unsafe manner etc.
    At first glance, these measures may seem “Draconian”, but in reality, we do most of them already, but we simply need to do them in advance of each race and document our plans for the Gardai.

In my opinion, this should been viewed as a positive development, as the league races will be better organised and should be safer for both riders and “Joe Public”. It also means that we can continue to use the current circuits around Garristown and Ballyboughal.

The Club Sportive, Hill climbs and TT’s or any Touring/training activities are not affected by these changes. "

I am not going to comment on the detail of the last post other than to say I find it very annoying :mad: and well done to SCC for staying calm and professional dealing with this nonissue.
    Moving on, how do I get to be a “Invited Visitors"?
    Looking forward to (hoping to be invited) next seasons league.

It does appear to be mostly a codification of what happens (or what should happen) in club leagues already. Is there a scenario where the Gardaí won't actually be involved on the night, they just sign off on you having sufficient marshalls at junctions and in vehicles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I am not going to comment on the detail of the last post other than to say I find it very annoying :mad: and well done to SCC for staying calm and professional dealing with this nonissue.
    Moving on, how do I get to be a “Invited Visitors"?
    Looking forward to (hoping to be invited) next seasons league.

You are welcome to join Swordscc for 2013...that way your guaranteed entry to the league ;)

Advertisement