Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MotorHome Insurance

• 23-02-2007 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Guys, just got back from Germany with my new 06 Joint E33 motorhome. Absolutely delighted with it, its like new. I knew before I went that I was under 3 ton and would be liable for VRT so decided to bring it into the North where my parents live - £38.00 to register. I have a NI licence etc and would be a named driver. Problem is the insurance - cant get any. I assume I need to join a club up north to avail of a group scheme. Does anyone know any clubs up there. Worst case is to bring it in here and pay the VRT but as Peasent stated, you are at their mercy when it come to value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In the old days (when everybody had to be a member) the irish motorcaravanners club (or was it the motorcaravanners club of ireland??) also had NI members included in their insurance scheme.

I'd think that would still be the case.

Anyhow ...Google spits out quite few clubs for Ireland/UK ...do a ringaround, hopefully you'll be lucky.

as an aside ...
    You do realise that the motorhome has to be kept in NI, if it's insured and registered there? You can only bring it down here on "holidays".
    A NI reg camper in the driveway will sooner or later attract attention from the customs boys (or some "well meaning" neighbour will inform on you) and then you're in trouble.
    Strictly speaking, as you are resident in the Republic, you're not allowed to drive a "foreign" reg vehicle at all, certainly not as a named driver ...you might get away with pretending you're a citizen from the north on holidays ...you might not.

Something to think about ...

(I know of a fellow countryman of mine who lives down deep in the wrinkles of West Cork and who thought he could get away with keeping his brandnew motorhome on German plates up a laneway, hidden behind a shed somewhere and just pretend to be a tourist otherwise...within four weeks he got cought, rapped accross the knuckles and had to pay VAT and VRT ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

The Motorcaravan club of Ireland www.motorcaravanclub.net should insure it if you take out membership. €60ish per year and €340 insurance....

The Caravan Club WWW.Caravanclub.co.uk also offer insurance, there Membership is approx £35 per year Good club with lots of outings....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

We have our's insured with Dolmen Insurance Brokers - costs €310 per year fully comprehensive, 2 drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

stapeler wrote: »
    The Motorcaravan club of Ireland www.motorcaravanclub.net should insure it if you take out membership. €60ish per year and €340 insurance....

Long ago one had to be a member of a motorcaravan club to obtain Insurance, at a reasonable price. Things have changed since then thank God. You can obtain insurance from Dolmin or Stewards at the same rate as you would if you joined any club for motorcaravns in Ireland. Save yourself the membership fees to join, it will also be a savings on your insurance. Joining the above Club plus Insurace will cost you 400 euro, and you can obtain insurance from Dolmin for 310 euro.
    Should you wish to join a club, have a look at all of them, dont join to just get insurance. Ask if you can attend a Club Rally before you make up your mind on joining.

Enjoy your motorhome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I agree. This is an old thread that's been dug up, a lot has changed in the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Good news this good to see u guys rolling and rocking
    ======
    Robert

Why was this thread dug up in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

*Kol* wrote: »
    Why was this thread dug up in the first place?
    for spamming :D

stapeler's banstick seems to be stuck in his holster ..all that new gear needs to be freed up first ...all will be well soon

thread now closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement