Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foraging. Wild garlic, mushrooms, sorrel and the like!

• 05-04-2012 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Well,
    Being Easter the time off has caught up on me! Now, having ran out of clothes and dishes to clean I find myself wanting to fly off to the woods and go picking some wild things to cook with.
    I know places in Mayo and Kerry for such expeditions but not Limerick! Was out in Cratloe woods recently and didn't think to keep an eye out!
    So, anybody know anywhere some interesting and edible plants, herbs or fungi grow?
    Pictures, stories and directions all welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pooh-bah

For any of you who read this with interest, I have located some wild garlic while out for a drive today!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Pooh-bah wrote: »
    For any of you who read this with interest, I have located some wild garlic while out for a drive today!

Do tell

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

I was heading to Cratloe wood, as I figured I'd have a good walk arouns the woods and have to fins some somewhere. Just as I entered Cratloe village, there it all is. Just before the houses start were all the lovely white flowers.
    When I stopped the car and got out I realised the whole other side of the road was covered in it.
    I didn't venture in as there was no need but I noticed it went back into the woods behind the ditch also!
    Just gave the stuff I did gather a good wash since it was right beside the road.
    Lovely wild garlic pesto kievs the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gallee

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. ZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZ

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Gallee wrote: »
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. ZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZ

Are you trying to make some kind of a point here, or can I just go ahead and delete this nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

What does wild garlic look like? Can you
    Sew it ?

Are you trying to make some kind of a point here, or can I just go ahead and delete this nonsense?

It has to be a wind up! Ok maybe your right delete away. Just can't help thinking the OP is having a skit. No harm intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

I was heading to Cratloe wood, as I figured I'd have a good walk arouns the woods and have to fins some somewhere. Just as I entered Cratloe village, there it all is. Just before the houses start were all the lovely white flowers.
    When I stopped the car and got out I realised the whole other side of the road was covered in it.
    I didn't venture in as there was no need but I noticed it went back into the woods behind the ditch also!
    Just gave the stuff I did gather a good wash since it was right beside the road.
    Lovely wild garlic pesto kievs the next day!

Never seen wild garlic before- Sorry if this is a stupid question but how would one prepare & use it? I presume its not like "normal" garlic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

T'would be a short nature walk with you as a teacher Gallee!

Pooh-bah, have you seen this programme on TG4, right up your street I'd say. Remember them foraging for stuff including wild garlic in at least one episode...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would imagine the OP is being quite genuine. In and around the Cratloe woods has a lot of ramsons growing.

In Ireland they get called wild garlic and are very edible. They are quite nice in taste and can add some lovely flavouring to a soup.

I have some growing in my garden as they are very good for the growth of most other plants, cabbage in particular benefit from having it around as it helps them against garden pests..

• Advertisement

Gallee - I'm not having a laugh, it's a real thing. It even has a wikipedia page.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsons. If you read you'll see there are lots of different names for it. It's not actually garlic bulbs growing in the ground, it's garlic flavored leaves and flowers.
    I'm not sure it you can sew it umberalles but I'm not sure you'd want to as it's one of these things that takes over the area it's in! If I head out again soon I'll get a picture with my camera rather than my phone so I can post it up.
    As for use and preparation the best thing to do it to use it to make a pesto, then use this as a sauce or to marinade meats. You could use it as a nice rub for lamb or somesuch! I have pictures of a rabbit dish I did for college using the flowers and pesto, I'll post shortly. For the pesto there's no need to blanch it, but if you were to use it straight away for a sauce the best thing to do is to blanch the leaves, get everything else your using for the sauce ready (e.g blanching other veg) then blitz it all up and strain it.
    Langdang- Had not heard of this programme, I'm without TV since September but will follow up that link, looks like my kinda thing.
    Thanks for that nice bit of info Kess73, would be lovely in a soup infact! Must try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I'm genuinely trying not to be pedantic here, but i presume yourself (and Uberalles) mean SOW (not SEW), as in grow this yourself rather than make a scarf from it.

Haha! Yes, I assumed it in the sense of 'sow'.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I've been looking at this plant for years and never knew what it was. Did a quick Google and i was surprised how useful it is. Its mad what useful plants there is out there for free. Thanks op.

Gallee - I'm not having a laugh, it's a real thing. It even has a wikipedia page.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsons. If you read you'll see there are lots of different names for it. It's not actually garlic bulbs growing in the ground, it's garlic flavored leaves and flowers.
    I'm not sure it you can sew it umberalles but I'm not sure you'd want to as it's one of these things that takes over the area it's in! If I head out again soon I'll get a picture with my camera rather than my phone so I can post it up.
    As for use and preparation the best thing to do it to use it to make a pesto, then use this as a sauce or to marinade meats. You could use it as a nice rub for lamb or somesuch! I have pictures of a rabbit dish I did for college using the flowers and pesto, I'll post shortly. For the pesto there's no need to blanch it, but if you were to use it straight away for a sauce the best thing to do is to blanch the leaves, get everything else your using for the sauce ready (e.g blanching other veg) then blitz it all up and strain it.
    Langdang- Had not heard of this programme, I'm without TV since September but will follow up that link, looks like my kinda thing.
    Thanks for that nice bit of info Kess73, would be lovely in a soup infact! Must try it out.
    Indeed Pooh-bah, I am the fool who laughed before he googled. I had absolute no idea that would grow here. Yes nature would not be one of my interests if you couldn't tell already. I must broaden my horizons. Sorry for the derogatory post.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I'm genuinely trying not to be pedantic here, but i presume yourself (and Uberalles) mean SOW (not SEW), as in grow this yourself rather than make a scarf from it.

Like the man in his new orthopaedic shoes. They stand corrected .

Advertisement