Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats considered a good salary?

• 10-02-2012 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

A 40 hour week on minimum wage is around €350. So whats considered Bad, Good and excellent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Depends on Living Expenses, Job Satisfaction, Difficulty of Job, Qualifactions etc.

Different for everyone.

But anywhere around 100k+ is generally considered decent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Mr.Success wrote: »
    A 40 hour week on minimum wage is around €350. So whats considered Bad, Good and excellent

Minimum wage is a waste of time as you are better of on the dole unless you can literally walk to work. If you have to commute any distance it is a waste of time due to the massive costs involved in getting to work and the extra taxation and loss of benefits.

I would consider any wage over €600 a week to be good and €800+ a week excellent. It is not going to work for under €400 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

About three fiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

A million euro a week

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

more than i get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

a farthing and a donkey

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I was able to draw 950 eoro this week i wish so far this year.
    It's not good.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

bluewolf wrote: »
    more than i get

The question was "What's considered a good salary?", not "At which pay level should people pay more tax?". :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

It's not what you earn its how you spend it.

Oh and also this.
    phasers wrote: »
    A million euro a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

In today's climate I think 50k+ is pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

188 for a zero hour week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Seachmall wrote: »
    Depends on Living Expenses, Job Satisfaction, Difficulty of Job, Qualifactions etc.

Different for everyone.

But anywhere around 100k+ is generally considered decent.

An average person in Ireland could aspire to little more than half of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Marcusm wrote: »
    An average person in Ireland could aspire to little more than half of that.

Really? I would have thou... oh, no wait.

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Cianos

Have you ever found a euro? That's probably the best salary you'll ever earn. It takes about 5 seconds to pick up and pocket. A euro in 5 seconds. Doing it you're earning €28,800 a week. Noice. Or €1,612,800 a year. Nooooooicce. On a 40 hour week of course. Before tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Cianos wrote: »
    Have you ever found a euro? That's probably the best salary you'll ever earn. It takes about 5 seconds to pick up and pocket. A euro in 5 seconds. Doing it you're earning €28,800 a week. Noice. Or €1,612,800 a year. Nooooooicce. On a 40 hour week of course. Before tax.

Aye, but your back would be f***ed from all the bending down to pick it up!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Bad: Even 350 a week is nothing with the cost of living these days.
    Good: I guess double the average wage. So 700 upwards.
    Excellent: 1,000 upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'd be happy to work for nothing sex

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

VagnerLove wrote: »
    About three fiddy.

I will give you a pity thanks for that over used unfunny line.

Anyway, enough money is when you can live a comfortable life with out being to extravagant and still save for bad few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Katgurl wrote: »
    In today's climate I think 50k+ is pretty good

50k is pretty good all right. Its about 17k more than the average private sector salary, and 2k more than the average public sector salary, which is 48k. www.cso.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

The best way to look at this is take home pay after tax per week, saying 100k a year means feck all really, with all the levies and increased taxes etc how much more per week does a 100k a year earner get over someone earning 50k?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

gigino wrote: »
    50k is pretty good all right. Its about 17k more than the average private sector salary, and 2k more than the average public sector salary, which is 48k. www.cso.ie

It is disgraceful that the public salary is so high, the public sector should be at least 10 to 20% behind the private sector for job security alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

About €20,000 above whatever you currently earn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Mr.Success wrote: »

25 million for a few years doing nothing and walk out over racist remarks in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

marketty wrote: »
    The best way to look at this is take home pay after tax per week, saying 100k a year means feck all really, with all the levies and increased taxes etc how much more per week does a 100k a year earner get over someone earning 50k?
    Ummm, still considerably more really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I do 8 hours a week and get £106.65 (€127.46). That's not bad, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Domo230 wrote: »
    Just got the interview for a minimum wage job as a street fundraiser.

I thought Dole was around €200 so I would be getting an extra €100 a week.
    The real draw for me though is I wanted to improve my social skills and this jobs seems like a great opportunity to do so.

Well you'll become immune to rejection if thats your social hangup!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Where To wrote: »
    I'd be happy to work for nothing sex

Were you on RTE last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

brummytom wrote: »
    I do 8 hours a week and get £106.65 (€127.46). That's not bad, is it?

Why don't you work a bit of overtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

prison officer,1749euro after tax,per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Stinicker wrote: »
    Minimum wage is a waste of time as you are better of on the dole unless you can literally walk to work. If you have to commute any distance it is a waste of time due to the massive costs involved in getting to work and the extra taxation and loss of benefits.

I would consider any wage over €600 a week to be good and €800+ a week excellent. It is not going to work for under €400 a week.
    What would you consider too great a distance to walk though? I walk to work, takes about 25/30 minutes each way. Also how are you better off on the dole rather than working for €400 a week? I'd love to be getting that right now. No way I'd get anything like that on the dole though.

Advertisement