Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dcully wrote: »
    Im downloading the client now, im wondering will i be able to path this client up for release?

The client you are downloading now is the full client, bar any patches that will be released between now and the 25th. No need to re-download it.

You also get to play in the stress test tonight if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Big Knox wrote: »
    Anyone here play a Guardian for an extended period during Beta?

How do they hold up in pve / pvp?

Played one to level 11 in a previous beta weekend. They're one of the more well rounded professions, if not THE most well rounded. Really good support abilities but they can also do good damage. The more magical based playstyles (scepter, staff etc) are also surprisingly effective and fun.

The important thing is, if you decide you want to be supportive, you never feel 'useless'. They visually change the battlefield with their various shields, boons etc. For example they have one skill that creates a large blue dome around the Guardian and pushes everyone back, really impressive looking when used in the middle of a group of players!

I mean it's too early to tell obviously (I'm sure some diehards will figure out some uber-combinations after release) but the professions are really balanced right now and no matter which one you pick the only excuse you'll have for losing/sucking is because you were outplayed. If a profession appeals to you just go for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Kiith wrote: »
    The client you are downloading now is the full client, bar any patches that will be released between now and the 25th. No need to re-download it.

You also get to play in the stress test tonight if you want.

Cheers, no hope of me joining tonight.
    Only 43% complete since 6pm :( Fcuking useless eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Can anyone get on? Keep getting unknown error 900.

Just logged off after an hour or so of play. Everything worked perfectly for me tonight.

By god there is so much stuff going on in the game. I've to try and focus just to get some events done, as i keep running off to see or do something else. Was helping defend some water pump, then somehow managed to find myself underground fighting bandits. It's ****ing brilliant :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Kind of a nitpicking for sake of it, and GW2 is the mmo im looking forward to now and plan to play till im bored or everyone I know stops playing it, but It sure does look like ass alot of the time, either its cause Ive been playing alot of new pc games modded and tweaked and played Tera for several weeks, but damn I forgot how kinda ugly it was, the artstyle is great though so not all bad. Just for what it demands and how it runs and being a 2012 game, you do expect alot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Played this again lastnight and probably had one of my best gaming moments all year. Three of us in a group and we decide to go into a level 8-9 cave being level 6-7.

Got a hammered by mobs but we heard there was a cave troll so kept running through it, spent ages and couldnt find him. Finally i found a troll rune and picked it up wondering what would happen, next thing i know the troll spawns and fires a bolder at me one shot killed.

We all died and had to respawn thinking that was that but nobody told Mr troll who proceeded to run around the area until he found people and start smashing them. Suddenly it wasnt just 3 of us fighting him but 7-8 and after what seemed like forever with all armour broken we were finally victorious :):):).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

were ye stress testing?

Kind of a nitpicking for sake of it, and GW2 is the mmo im looking forward to now and plan to play till im bored or everyone I know stops playing it, but It sure does look like ass alot of the time, either its cause Ive been playing alot of new pc games modded and tweaked and played Tera for several weeks, but damn I forgot how kinda ugly it was, the artstyle is great though so not all bad. Just for what it demands and how it runs and being a 2012 game, you do expect alot more.

I tend to agree, when i see the likes of Tera looking so much better it makes you wonder, but having said that gameplay is king to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Guild Wars 2 visually looks fantastic to me Tera didn't but , each to there own. Also, you have to remember they need to get this to run on all the crappy PC's that a lot of people are using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Guild Wars 2 visually looks fantastic to me Tera didn't but , each to there own. Also, you have to remember they need to get this to run on all the crappy PC's that a lot of people are using.

Thats optmising though not having bad textures and the likes, A well oiled and optimized engine/client will be able to run on a dell inspiron 600 and a home made NASA pc someone mad for 3grand. Its about the options on offer. And if done properly then it looks amazing maxed and looks(kinda how it does now on all setts) average on low-med setts.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Haven't played in any of the stress tests so far, as I was studying for exams, don't think I'll play in anymore that happen either, want to leave the rest of it for the launch! Can't wait!

For anyone who pre purchased from Zavvi, or any other online retailer, any idea when the boxes will ship? Will they only be sent out on/from the 28th? Considering we will have only 5 days to enter our new serial codes from the day the game launches, and considering how long it took Zavvi to send out my pre-purchase box, I'm a little curious about it. May end up dropping them an e-mail to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Taken From Facebook:

Happy weekend, everyone!

We will be conducting a stress test TOMORROW Sunday, August 12 from 11:00 AM PACIFIC Time to 12:00 Noon PACIFIC Time.

REMEMBER: We will be actively working on the game during the event, so you might experience connectivity problems or discover features that are not working as designed.

Any issues you experience are a result of the rigorous conditions of the stress test, and are in no way representative of the state of the game at launch.

By participating in this stress test, you’re helping us make Guild Wars 2 a better game. Thanks for your cooperation—we’ll see you in-game!

--
    Please note:
    * The stress test is open to anyone who has pre-purchased Guild Wars 2.
    * Characters will not be wiped from the previous Stress Test.

~RB

Calhoun wrote: »
    Taken From Facebook:

Happy weekend, everyone!

We will be conducting a stress test TOMORROW Sunday, August 12 from 11:00 AM PACIFIC Time to 12:00 Noon PACIFIC Time.

REMEMBER: We will be actively working on the game during the event, so you might experience connectivity problems or discover features that are not working as designed.

Any issues you experience are a result of the rigorous conditions of the stress test, and are in no way representative of the state of the game at launch.

By participating in this stress test, you’re helping us make Guild Wars 2 a better game. Thanks for your cooperation—we’ll see you in-game!

--
    Please note:
    * The stress test is open to anyone who has pre-purchased Guild Wars 2.
    * Characters will not be wiped from the previous Stress Test.

~RB

Aww I read that as it being from 11 AM - Midnight first. What good is a one hour stress test, can't do anything with that!!!

So I've now tried (albeit briefly) Elementalist, Guardian and Ranger and I'm still no closer to picking which one for launch!!

I would usually always play the paladin style class but from what I played of Guardian I only really liked the greatsword moveset. I can see them being excellent in PvP as a support / damage dealer though.

Ranger was fun and I'm sure they are great in PvP due to the solid mix of ranged /melee but they don't seem to have a huge amount of versatility to mix up play if you get bored. I'm sure Bow / Greatsword will be cookie cutter for pretty much everything.

Elementalist have a crazy amount of skills with each weapon which is great but I've traditionally never liked playing a mage, the no melee at all might grate on me after awhile!

Hmm hopefully I can get to play each one some more to make a final decision before launch. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

So I've now tried (albeit briefly) Elementalist, Guardian and Ranger and I'm still no closer to picking which one for launch!!

I would usually always play the paladin style class but from what I played of Guardian I only really liked the greatsword moveset. I can see them being excellent in PvP as a support / damage dealer though.

Ranger was fun and I'm sure they are great in PvP due to the solid mix of ranged /melee but they don't seem to have a huge amount of versatility to mix up play if you get bored. I'm sure Bow / Greatsword will be cookie cutter for pretty much everything.

Elementalist have a crazy amount of skills with each weapon which is great but I've traditionally never liked playing a mage, the no melee at all might grate on me after awhile!

Hmm hopefully I can get to play each one some more to make a final decision before launch. :o

Sounds like you need to try out an Engineer!

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to try out an Engineer!

Someone else said that to me alright, can I ask why? I'm guessing they are a very well rounded class??

The thing is I just don't like the thought of playing an "Engineer". The thought of the class never sat right with me in terms of an MMO! Might try it out if there's another Stress test!

I said to myself I wouldnt play again till release, but, feck it, it's only for an hour! It's 7pm our time, right?

delta36 wrote: »
    I said to myself I wouldnt play again till release, but, feck it, it's only for an hour! It's 7pm our time, right?

It's PDT so it should be 6 - 7 for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

Necromancer sounds like a right laugh from what I've seen on the site and the class videos on Youtube. I think its swayed me to head on back to the land of MMO! :D

• Advertisement

Ah, thanks! Seeing as it's only on for an hour it'd be a bit annoying if I got the starting time wrong!

http://www.guildwars2countdown.com/

If you want to get your names for your characters on day one before they're gone, here is a tip. Create them as fast as you can. Then go back and delete them. The name will be held for you so you can spend as much time as you need remaking your character the way you want.

So, are these stress test started exactly on the hour? Unlike the BWE where you could get in tens of minutes beforehand?

Ah apologies seems I was wrong!

They are usually pretty close to advertised. Especially with the start time. This one is about to end now.

Tried the Necro there, and i think i have my new main. Great fun.

Stress test ended just now :( I had a blast.

Played as my level 4 Char elementalist, did a bit of storyline then spent most of the time exploring underwater in LA. Was great fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Tried going into gamestop today to order the collector's edtion for this but they gave me a box for the standard edtion, am I right in thinking the code for this for early access would be different to the one for the collectors?

They told me the codes were the same for standard and collector's but to be honest they did'nt sound too sure of themselves so decided not to take them up on it, anyone know a good price online or recommend where I could get it :)

• Advertisement

bombs away wrote: »
    Tried going into gamestop today to order the collector's edtion for this but they gave me a box for the standard edtion, am I right in thinking the code for this for early access would be different to the one for the collectors?

They told me the codes were the same for standard and collector's but to be honest they did'nt sound too sure of themselves so decided not to take them up on it, anyone know a good price online or recommend where I could get it :)

I had a similar problem with Gamestop! The major code difference between standard and CE edition is that with the CE, the pre-purchase box you get has a code that does you until the game is launched, then you get a full code in the CE boxset, whereas the code you get with the standard edition pre purchase is the full game code.

In terms of other differences, you also wouldn't get any in game items like you do for the CE. In addition, you might run into difficulty at the end of the month when you go back to Gamestop to try and get your CE box. If they give you a standard edition pre purchase box now, that has a full game code, and when you go to get your CE box, that will have a full game code too, so in essence you would be getting 2 game codes, which I don't see any retailer being happy with.

Do yourself a favour, and don't get it from Gamestop unless they are handing you a pre-purchase box for the version you are ultimately getting. Which Gamestop were you in by the way?

In terms of online, I personally ordered from Zavvi, but it's currently listed as being sold out, google around, you may find somewhere.

Advertisement