Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New supervised bike shed?

• 20-02-2012 5:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭

Would you use such a service if one exists? Would you elect me if i promised to deliver on it?

I was having a chat with the local gardaí on campus and he said there are bikes stolen on a weekly basis in UL. Young fellas from the local area come in with bolt cutters and in a matter of minutes make off with some student's bike. This is actually a big business and not just petty theft. However very few bikes are returned unfortunetly.

What do the students think of building some kind of bike shed. Something with enough space for about 100 bikes, you cycle in, lock with your own key and you get something like a cloak room ticket. You pay a fee, perhaps 2 euro. There will be a lad supervising the bikes, only people with tickets and a key can enter, bikes kept for more than a week will be removed.

just an idea open to have it dissected and improved upon.

has it been trialed before and is it a runner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭highlydebased

afaik money is being provided for this under the smarter travel scheme which will see the removal of parking spaces for cars, and instead provide bike parking in the Engineering Research Building along with showers and lockers.....all to encourage people to cycle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

cool, can i still take credit for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

which will see the removal of parking spaces for cars,

Is that actually going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Is that actually going to happen?

Apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Encourage more students to cycle instead of driving by charging for a bike space. no thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

garv123 wrote: »
    Encourage more students to cycle instead of driving by charging for a bike space. no thanks

This.

All that's needed is more bike-stands, which would be relatively cheap to install, and a better cycle-path layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Agreed about the cycle path layout. It's very hard to easily get from the main gate to either the Schuman or the Foundation building on cycle paths, and the cycle path that apparently crosses the entrance to the main pay carpark is not well signposted for either cyclists or drivers..

It would be good to have insured bike lockers if there's going to be a charge for a secure bike storage space - no other way would I cycle my main bike in to the college with the current lack of safe secure bike storage areas. I'll have to get a piece'o'crap to commute to the college with, one that wouldn't have me too much out of pocket if I were to see it stolen. Unfortunately I don't have easy access to e.g. an office where I could leave a bike during the day in relative safety. Properly secured storage now, that'd be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

They could do with revising the current path at the East Gate which isn't very bike friendly.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    This.

All that's needed is more bike-stands, which would be relatively cheap to install, and a better cycle-path layout.

you actually couldn't be any more wrong. the problem isn't bike stands it's people robbing bikes. you can park your bike in the preexisting stands as much as you want.

seriously, some people in this college don't have a clue

cambridge wrote: »
    you actually couldn't be any more wrong. the problem isn't bike stands it's people robbing bikes. you can park your bike in the preexisting stands as much as you want.

Well then the main bike place in UL seems to be by the private carpark before the courtyard wouldnt you agree? Where there is already a security hut /room for the carpark so why not pay someone to sit in there and watch the bikes instead of building somewhere new to do the same purpose.

And do you plan on having one of these secure places at each block of the colllege.. main, schuman schrodinger, health science, pess etc because alot of people are based in different buildings.

• Advertisement

i think we may have our wires crossed.

Are you in agreement we need a supervised bike park?

i think we may have our wires crossed.

Are you in agreement we need a supervised bike park?

You could get campus security to monitor the existing ones more since their HQ is beside the main one, but building a new place is i dont agree with. more parking i would agree with.

oh right, some subtle differences then.

you'd have to ask why aren't campus security not already watching bikes.

i will do some personal research on the coming weeks, might set up a honey pot bike and set up surveillance and she what kind of scumbag tries to rob it and see what security do.

Is there a record of on-campus thefts? That'd make for interesting reading. Mine was stolen before Christmas, but that was from the back of our house in College Court.

Like Garvan says, the main bike hub is beside the security HQ, which (afaik) is manned 24/7?

And, as he also mentioned, where would you put it? A lot of people are based in a lot of different areas in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

cool, can i still take credit for it?
    Let's pretend you're not serious because, if you are, you don't deserve any votes at all if that's what you do.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Is there a record of on-campus thefts? That'd make for interesting reading. Mine was stolen before Christmas, but that was from the back of our house in College Court.

Like Garvan says, the main bike hub is beside the security HQ, which (afaik) is manned 24/7?

And, as he also mentioned, where would you put it? A lot of people are based in a lot of different areas in college.

yeah ask the guards i don't have the figures myself.

sceptre wrote: »
    Let's pretend you're not serious because, if you are, you don't deserve any votes at all if that's what you do.

seriously, no flies on you is there.

yeah ask the guards i don't have the figures myself.

You should have the research done if you are serious.

i heard there were loads, basically one a week at least. one day some lads broke into 17 cars in the same day. I don't have the actual report in front of me, i've already doine the research. if you want specifics ask the guards.

i heard there were loads, basically one a week at least. one day some lads broke into 17 cars in the same day. I don't have the actual report in front of me, i've already doine the research. if you want specifics ask the guards.

Your trolling is getting lazy.

If you were serious about this you'd be able to back up your argument with stats about the level of robberies.

• Advertisement

Listen ciaran, you were called and caught out for saying you need to be a politician to be su president. you were proven wrong.

i had my car broken into before xmas and i went to the police station and filed a report. I asked the gardaí what's the story is it a common occurence. he said it happens all the time, young fellas walk in with bolt cutters down their pants. walk over to a bike, whip the cutters out and snap the lock in 5 seconds and cycle it off. all happens in a matter of minutes, everywhere on campus. they have CCTV coverage and they sometimes catch the lads as their known criminals. most of them were underage so hard to punish.

he told me that one day 2 lads broke into 17 cars in one day, smashing side windows robbing radios, coats, iphones, ipods, anything on display of value. They were caught eventually.

the gardai told me never leave valuables on the display, put everything in the boot if you have stuff in your car. I don't him it was ****ing ridiculus the level of crime in UL but he said they were doing their best and so were campus security.

this is a genuine story, don't believe anything else i say if you want, but all of that is true.

call me a liar again and i won't entertain your trolling any further.

Listen ciaran, you were called and caught out for saying you need to be a politician to be su president. you were proven wrong.

Different thread (irrelevant here), and not what I said either. Go back and read the post.
    i had my car broken into before xmas and i went to the police station and filed a report.... young fellas walk in with bolt cutters down their pants. walk over to a bike, whip the cutters out and snap the lock in 5 seconds and cycle it off.

I thought we were talking about bikes here? Which is it?
    he told me that one day 2 lads broke into 17 cars in one day, smashing side windows robbing radios, coats, iphones, ipods, anything on display of value. They were caught eventually.

This isn't unique to UL. This happens all over town. Like I said earlier, my own bike was stolen before Christmas.
    the gardai told me never leave valuables on the display, put everything in the boot if you have stuff in your car.

This is a basic, basic thing that you should be aware of if you own a car. Having a car broken into and the contents swiped is akin to the issue a few years ago where students would leave apartment windows and doors open and a number of personal items were stolen. You're asking for it to happen.
    call me a liar again and i won't entertain your trolling any further.

Reported for this. Where did I call you a liar, or even imply it?

You're derailing your own thread at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The idea with smarter travel is things like these:
    lockers2.jpg
    It's been a while in the offing and the original application was submitted in 2009 AFAIK.

i think sometimes we get carried away with technology. we have these 50 inch plasma tv screens that basically do what a chalk board would do. all you need is a bike rake and an old geeser with a thermos and a chair stopping the scum stealing them.

i think sometimes we get carried away with technology. we have these 50 inch plasma tv screens that basically do what a chalk board would do. all you need is a bike rake and an old geeser with a thermos and a chair stopping the scum stealing them.
    And paying someone a salary works out more sustainable how?

i know we're mad to be paying your salary but people need jobs.

could we replace derek daly with a robot?

i know we're mad to be paying your salary but people need jobs.

could we replace derek daly with a robot?

I suppose we'll see at election time, eh;)

;);)

you're some man derek.

those cubicles store one bike each? 10 of them? you'd need a squadron of them dotted around campus.

they have bike sheds in thomond village, if we could get a bigger one of those and have it swipe only with good cctv.you could see everyone who swiped in and you could see everyone who robbed/ damaged bikes. with the exception of tail gaters you would prevent a lot of theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

My roommates bike was stolen last week, during the week.
    My bike was stolen at the weekend. A 20 year old, rusted to hell, no gears or mod-cons of any kind, crappy piece of nostalgia.
    :(

Whoever is in charge, I would love to see something done about this.

• Advertisement

And do you plan on having one of these secure places at each block of the colllege.. main, schuman schrodinger, health science, pess etc because alot of people are based in different buildings.
    ;);)

they have bike sheds in thomond village, if we could get a bigger one of those and have it swipe only with good cctv.you could see everyone who swiped in and you could see everyone who robbed/ damaged bikes. with the exception of tail gaters you would prevent a lot of theft.

Still never got a answer to my question.

Advertisement