Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated Albums?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Anything by REM...I just cant abide all that self indulgent meaningless crap

And NO...having retarded lyrics does not make it any cooler except to deluded teenagers...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 AtomCannister

Lynskey wrote: »
    Anyone who says Radiohead, Pink Floyd or the Beatles are overrated should be shot...'nuff said
    d

This.

Also, this is a fairly dumb thread. I can't believe I read 6 pages into it.
    Too many opinions from people who think they know far more than they do.

Also, your expectations before listening to an album can drastically distort your listening. Read reviews but don't let them ruin music for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

anything by Republic of loose. Jesus what a ****overated band. =

republic of loose overrated are you joking me! the first album was unreal if the were english they'd be worth a fortune...great musicians ,great lyrics, great performers, great range as in the can play and get away with any type of genre......second album should have been 6/7 songs shorter lot of ****e on it i'll grant you that but the first one was unreal...6 anthems no filler and they're all a shower of young lads lest you forget....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Nicdea wrote: »
    motherhood obviously kills the creative spark in women.
    Nic

Same can be said for male musician and marriage and children...same difference......

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

I could just never understand The Beatles popularity and have always thought they were the most overrated band of all time! If anyone brought the same stuff out now, that they did back then *minus Rocky Raccoon, Sgt. Pepper the song, not the album & Let It Be* they would be stripped, shot, hung and shot again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭8mv

Can't understand the hostility towards the Beatles - they are still fab.

Haven't read all this thread, so maybe it's been mentioned already - I find Astral Weeks unlistenable. There, I've said it.

Never got the Jimi Hendrix thing either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

8mv wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭8mv

Listening to Ryan Tubridy this morning reminds me that apart from Blood on the Tracks, all Bob Dylan albums leave me cold. Some great songs, but I prefer other people covering Dyan songs, ie. Dave Matthews.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Metallica-Death Magnetic

I agree. It's not great at all, and the only song I loved on it was 'The Day That Never Comes'. 'The Joshua Tree' by U2 is very very overrated. There are some songs on it that are really not great at all like 'Running To Stand Still, In God's Country, Trip Through Your Wires, Exit and Mothers Of The Disappeared. However 'Where The Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With Or Without You, Bullet The Blue Sky, Red Hill Mining Town and One Tree Hill are fantastic.
    J_Mac wrote: »
    Am I the only person who thinks every album is over-rated??? Lets face it most albums have what bout 4 tracks worth listening to & the rest usually varies from so-so to pure crap.

Thats not always the case. Some albums like 'Reckless' by Bryan Adams, Moving Pictures by Rush, Hysteria by Def Leppard, Love at First Sting by Scorpions and Black Rose by Thin Lizzy have lots of standout songs on each album. Most of those albums for me anyway have 7 to 8 standout songs, and that is fantastic. Of Recently 'Surtur Rising' by Amon Amarth, Khaos Legions by Arch Enemy, Redemption at The Puritan's Hand by Primordial and 'The Beginning of Times' by Amorphis all have loads of standout songs, and not just 1 or 2 like on pop albums nowadays.
    Gmol wrote: »
    Suggest Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy which might change your opinion

It's a class album but I never liked 'Romeo and the Lonely Girl' and Fight or Fall'. Two bad songs out of nine songs is brilliant though. You just don't get that kind of quality nowadays, apart from the albums I mentioned above which are some of my favourites from this year so far.
    Teclo wrote: »
    Led Zeppelin IV. Listening to it now. Thankfully I downloading it without paying.

It's not a bad album, but I never really loved 'The Battle of Evermore, Four Sticks and Going to California'. The rest is really great.

Iron Maiden's new album was a complete and utter let down and extremely dissapointing. That album was very very overatted. Most of the rock and metal magazines gave it five stars, and most reviews on the net gave it great reviews as well. I would really like to see some reviews that gave it a very poor review, and said that the album was a dissapoinment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I always thought 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn', and Syd Barrett in general, is way overrated.

Also, 'Never Mind the B**locks'. I mean, Anarchy and God Save the Queen are class, but a lot of it is just drivel.

Sergeant Pepper gets way too much acclaim, compared to Revolver, which I think is the Beatles finest moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Foo Fighters - (enter album) All over-rated. No great lyrics, no lasting choruses, no great guitar riffs, no memorable solo's if any, bass is non-existent, drumming is suitable and at places out-standing to justify Taylor's status a fantastic drummer. Its just copy and paste rock.

Never fell into the hype trap myself as coming from Nirvana I was always gonna be interested in what Grohl has to to do but he got the hype of his own name and ego out their and has been carrying teh badn ever since. At least I gave em a bash, making up my own mind after buyng/downloading/2 live gigs and listening to all their releases year after year in the hope that they can conjure up some piece of rock drama, in the faint want of something extraordinary to be awed at to seem them create an album worthy of the greats but alas on reflection its just because I'm naive to think they would wanna try something different something special.

(In saying that Times Like These is fantastic song!)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

It's not a bad album, but I never really loved 'The Battle of Evermore, Four Sticks and Going to California'. The rest is really great.

Haha - that is gas, asides from when the levee breaks these are my 3 favourite songs from this album.

Goes to show you that music is completely subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

Foo Fighters - (enter album) All over-rated. No great lyrics, no lasting choruses, no great guitar riffs, no memorable solo's if any, bass is non-existent, drumming is suitable and at places out-standing to justify Taylor's status a fantastic drummer. Its just copy and paste rock.

Never fell into the hype trap myself as coming from Nirvana I was always gonna be interested in what Grohl has to to do but he got the hype of his own name and ego out their and has been carrying teh badn ever since. At least I gave em a bash, making up my own mind after buyng/downloading/2 live gigs and listening to all their releases year after year in the hope that they can conjure up some piece of rock drama, in the faint want of something extraordinary to be awed at to seem them create an album worthy of the greats but alas on reflection its just because I'm naive to think they would wanna try something different something special.

(In saying that Times Like These is fantastic song!)

Completely agree, Times like these i think is their finest moment. A real classic. Like that as well, i just don't get Foo Fighters. My brother loves them and hated Nirvana. I am the other way round. I just think Dave Grohl is very clever in how he constructs the albums. His knowledge of rock is obviously huge but his songwriting is not really that spectacular.
    Its just rock by numbers for the most part. Lowest common denominator stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I could just never understand The Beatles popularity and have always thought they were the most overrated band of all time! If anyone brought the same stuff out now, that they did back then *minus Rocky Raccoon, Sgt. Pepper the song, not the album & Let It Be* they would be stripped, shot, hung and shot again!

But the Beatles did those tunes 40 years ago, plus they evolved as a band from songs like "I wanna hold your hand" to things like "Sgt. Peppers...", which is a huge step. They pretty much single-handedly influenced modern pop/rock music.
    8mv wrote: »
    Can't understand the hostility towards the Beatles - they are still fab.

Haven't read all this thread, so maybe it's been mentioned already - I find Astral Weeks unlistenable. There, I've said it.

He is the greatest guitarist of all time, I have never heard anyone play with the sort of phrasing he has (though many try) and he was also one hell of a showman.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nikkisixx69

in metal music , i think judas priest are highly over-rated , they have a few good songs , but i bought the essential judas priest album and out of like 40 songs i only liked 3 or 4 , and i did give it a few listens (i always give albums a few listens just in case they are a "grower" )

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Led Zeppelin The Clash

The Who nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Led Zeppelin The Clash

Teclo wrote: »
    Led Zeppelin IV. Listening to it now. Thankfully I downloading it without paying.

How dare you.
    Everything off that is a masterpiece may the lord god have mercy on you.

Also Eminem is the definition of Overrated and the cranberries alongside the beatles.

And maybe throw in The Eagles and any band that isn't The Clash or Led Zeppelin(lol just jk)

Lot of hate for u2 nowadays I personally love them

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Slayer - Reign in Blood - I just couldn't get into it, as there are no memorable riffs and the solos are also very forgettable.

Rush
    - Snakes And Arrows - I didn't think it was that great, especially when compared to albums like Counterparts, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures etc.

Led Zeppelin
    - IV - A couple of class songs like When The Levee Breaks, Black Dog, Rock N' Roll andStairway To Heaven. I wasn't mad about the other slower songs though.

AC/DC
    - Black Ice - I didn't think much of it.

Iron Maiden
    - The Final Frontier - Definitely the worst Iron Maiden album ever. No real memorable songs or any sence of urgency like on the old albums. Brave New World is far better.

Dimmu Borgir
    - In Sorte Diaboli - Very dissapointing and somewhat uninspired album. There are a couple of great songs though.

Pink Floyd
    - Dark Side of The Moon - I couldn't get into it. Meddle and Animals are much better.

Metallica - Master of Puppets - There are some truly class songs like 'Battery,Master of Puppets, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Disposable Heroes, Leper Messiah and of course Orion' which is an incredible closing track, and a fantastic instrumental. But songs like 'The Thing That Should Not Be and Damage, Inc which are boring compared to the other songs.

Anything belonging to any of the following:

U2

Chills

Metallica

Nirvana..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

If people insist on just listing bands as opposed to albums or albums without any reasons whatsoever then I'm going to lock this as a pointless list thead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The Wall - Pink Floyd
    Too long and mostly boring. It has a few great songs though like Mother and Comfortably Numb

Thriller - Michael Jackson
    The first half is great but the second half is just average as far as I'm concerned.

Houses Of The Holy - Led Zeppelin
    Basically the same reasons as I gave for Thriller

The Joshua Tree - U2
    I'm not a big U2 fan and this isn't even my favourite album of theirs. I think War and Achtung Baby are a lot better. Bullet The Blue Sky is a very good track though.

A Night At The Opera - Queen
    Queen, in general, are really overrated but I picked this album since it's considered to be their best (although I prefer Sheer Heart Attack). There are a few good tracks but I find most of it to be boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 inthefade

This coming from an avid Them Crooked Vultures fan, I just find their debut not as mindblowingly amazing as everyone says. It's just a good album. Unpopular opinion? Hmmm.... Hopefully we'll be getting another output from them in 2012 anyways. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

12 pages and no mention of Steely Dan! THATS how good they were :)
    Not getting The Beatles hate or Dylan or U2 for that matter, is it their rep that causes people to dislike on principal without listening?

I never found an album over rated cos I never expect much. Sometimes I find the damn album is exactly what I expected, now thats disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

inthefade wrote: »
    This coming from an avid Them Crooked Vultures fan, I just find their debut not as mindblowingly amazing as everyone says. It's just a good album. Unpopular opinion? Hmmm.... Hopefully we'll be getting another output from them in 2012 anyways. :)

It's a decent album, what kills if for me is several songs are way too long and over exaggerated. It's a wankfest at times, savage live though.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

... has to be Never Let Me Down ... you did David, big time ... Buddha of Suburbia is probably the most under rated ... brilliant album ... I'm a devout Bowie fan, I honestly think there are several albums that are totally unflawed without a weak track on them ... some contain some class tracks with some duff tracks ... all music is subjective ... depends on your moods, imagination, life experiences etc ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I have every who album, they have some great singles and are one of my favourite bands, but their albums are mostly filler.Except the greatest hits ones and live at leeds.
    White stripes albums are most filler too.Great singles though.
    Any rap /pop /hip hop album does be nearly all filler. This is such a growing trend of filler these days that albums dont really happen anymore just singles getting downloaded.
    People bad mouthing the republic of loose, apart from ther last album all other ones were great.
    Sgt peppar is a greAT album but is a bit overrated.
    Coldplay are mundane . Really . I could almost write their next album before they did for them.
    Either stone roses album. Although their greatest hits was half an album of decent songs,<The first half>
    Thats all i can think of for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭skinny malinky

Fleet Foxes' debut. Nice and relaxing, but not much else.

Also, The Velvet Underground's banana album. Such pretentious nonsense, the last 'track' is literally irritating noise.

Lift Your Skinny Fists by Godspeed You Black Emperor. Background music at best.

Oh and... wait for it... Sgt. Peppers by The Beatles. First half - great. Second half - utter crap (bar A Day In The Life).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Fleet Foxes' debut. Nice and relaxing, but not much else.

Also, The Velvet Underground's banana album. Such pretentious nonsense, the last 'track' is literally irritating noise.

Lift Your Skinny Fists by Godspeed You Black Emperor. Background music at best.

Oh and... wait for it... Sgt. Peppers by The Beatles. First half - great. Second half - utter crap (bar A Day In The Life).
    Yeah I'm kind of sick of Fleet Foxes now. I enjoyed their debut at the time but their last album exposed them as a bunch of city guys trying too hard to be folk. I wasn't buying it.

The Velvet Underground & Nico is an amazing album that inspired so many people to start bands. It deserves the credit it gets. By the way when someone describes music as pretentious or a load of noise it really does make them look a bit silly. Music can be art, just like a painting, and people need to realise that more.

Lift Yr Skinny Fists is good enough but very difficult to stomach in one sitting. I much prefer F#A#oo, it's much easier to focus on and the whole end of the world feel that it invokes is pretty amazing.

Sgt. Peppers certainly isn't my favourite Beatles album I can tell you that. Revolver stomps all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭skinny malinky

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm kind of sick of Fleet Foxes now. I enjoyed their debut at the time but their last album exposed them as a bunch of city guys trying too hard to be folk. I wasn't buying it.

The Velvet Underground & Nico is an amazing album that inspired so many people to start bands. It deserves the credit it gets. By the way when someone describes music as pretentious or a load of noise it really does make them look a bit silly. Music can be art, just like a painting, and people need to realise that more.

Lift Yr Skinny Fists is good enough but very difficult to stomach in one sitting. I much prefer F#A#oo, it's much easier to focus on and the whole end of the world feel that it invokes is pretty amazing.

Sgt. Peppers certainly isn't my favourite Beatles album I can tell you that. Revolver stomps all over it.

I must clarify that I don't dislike Fleet Foxes (only have the first one though), it's just that it wasn't as good as everyone was saying.

My brother's in a band, and that VU album is in his top 5 ever, but I've never been able to get into it. I've probably listened to it 25 times over ten years and Femme Fatale is the only track that I'd go back to. Different strokes I guess... oh and I'm a theatre actor and therefore hate the liberal use of 'pretentious' nowadays, but imho it fits here. Just my opinion though. I certainly regard music as art. I do like plenty of albums that others may regard as "arty farty." What's your opinion on European Son?

Not sure if I'll go back to Godspeed, but if I do I'll take your advice.

Agree on Revolver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Iconwine

Am I the only one who thinks that Adele "21" is overrated?? Don't want to take away from her stunning vocals because they are undoubtedly world class but I personally dont think it is as good as 68 weeks on the chart insinuates!! A lot of hype can go a long way...

Advertisement