Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'm puzzled about that one myself, two of the channels are being closed down, zero to do with Sky. ESPN itself will still be on the EPG but will no longer be part of the Sky Sports package here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

icdg wrote: »
    I'm puzzled about that one myself, two of the channels are being closed down, zero to do with Sky. ESPN itself will still be on the EPG but will no longer be part of the Sky Sports package here.

ESPN was available effectively free to Irish subscribers - the channel is gone from tomorrow though still on air - Sky have not informed viewers nor have they made viewers aware of alternatives.

I personally don't think that is a good way to treat viewers.

Btw the 'stand off' between Sky & BT - for starters Sky have blocked all BT Sports ads on Sky.

On another note Eurosport2HD has appeared on 426 on UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

So if I have a current UPC package of: UPC + SS Package + ESPN Package, because ESPN is gone, I now have UPC + SS.

If I do nothing, my bill will drop by about 10 euro.

If i decide I want the Setanta package, it will be: UPC + SS + Setanta.

This will increase my bill by approx 20 quid a month for Setanta?

Setanta Package includes: Setanta Ireland (which I have already), Setanta 1, BT 1+2 .....anything else?

Very few people subscribed to the ESPN package on UPC because it was cheaper to just get Digital Value (which included ESPN) instead. If you got ESPN that way there'll be no price cut. That we know of yet anyway.

We don't know what price the Setanta pack on UPC will be yet. We'll hear later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Is it fair to say that with ESPN no longer being available for Sky Sports (satellite) users, there will be no price drop?

..... I kid.... I kid.... I know there won't be a price drop.

Blanketing the air-waves with Pierse Brosnan doesn't come cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Well I subscribed to Setanta on sky
    €19.99 no connection fee using online setup
    You get a message Thank you for subscribing to Setanta Sports
    Setanta Sports Multiroom - to add Setanta Sports for free in another room please call our customer service centre

I got the Multiroom free on second box and a third box €2.99

€22.98 a month for 3 Sky Boxes includes HD channels if you have Sky HD

UPC will see whats on offer today but I wont be using UPC
    if some of its free well that will be added bonus

So if you Subscribe to Setanta on sky you get second subscription on another sky box for free
    Just to note your other Sky boxes don't need to have sky subscription just a sky card

Is it fair to say that with ESPN no longer being available for Sky Sports (satellite) users, there will be no price drop?

Pierse Brosnan Bruce Willis and Al Pacino must be desperate lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

We used to pay extra for the ESPN channels , then Sky gave it to us for free as part of the Sky Sports sub so there was actually a price reduction as such a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

paulboland wrote: »
    Well I subscribed to Setanta on sky
    €19.99 no connection fee using online setup
    You get a message Thank you for subscribing to Setanta Sports
    Setanta Sports Multiroom - to add Setanta Sports for free in another room please call our customer service centre

I got the Multiroom free on second box and a third box €2.99

€22.98 a month for 3 Sky Boxes includes HD channels if you have Sky HD

UPC will see whats on offer today but I wont be using UPC
    if some of its free well that will be added bonus

So if you Subscribe to Setanta on sky you get second subscription on another sky box for free
    Just to note your other Sky boxes don't need to have sky subscription just a sky card

I rang to activate my free multiroom and the girl on the phone said oh we dont do that! Chancers but I got the manager involved and got it free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

What time should we expect an announcement from UPC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jhammer

lertsnim wrote: »
    What time should we expect an announcement from UPC?

Lunchtime i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

http://www.upc.ie/television/digitalmaxplus/

No ESPN just Setanta Ireland! I think this shows what to expect

Can this get me out of contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Reali at the end of ATH..."ESPN America. Thank you for your years of service. World. We'll catch you on the podcast."

Doesn't look like ATH or PTi will be screened on new ESPN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Reali at the end of ATH..."ESPN America. Thank you for your years of service. World. We'll catch you on the podcast."

Doesn't look like ATH or PTi will be screened on new ESPN.

I heard that too but was thinking he meant it in the worldwide sense in that ESPNA across the world was shutting down.

It isn't listed on the new ESPN's schedule for tmw or Friday and both are off in the States for 2 weeks I think from next week but hopefully it'll appear (with clips!) after that. Probably wishful thinking on my part though.

At least we'll still have the podcasts.

http://www.upc.ie/television/digitalmaxplus/

No ESPN just Setanta Ireland! I think this shows what to expect

Can this get me out of contract?

Espn will be part of the Setanta Pack

Setanta Sports 1 now called Premiere Sport
    Espn
    Bt sport 1
    Bt sport 2

HD
    Espn
    Bt Sport 1
    Bt Sport 2

Setanta Ireland separate still free no need to get Setanta Pack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

paulboland wrote: »
    Espn will be part of the Setanta Pack

Setanta Sports 1 now called Premiere Sport
    Espn
    Bt sport 1
    Bt sport 2

HD
    Espn
    Bt Sport 1
    Bt Sport 2

Setanta Ireland separate still free no need to get Setanta Pack
    I know, what Im saying is ESPN being part of the Digital Max was a good pull for UPC, now its a premium service I dont see any pull sticking with UPC, its just channel loss after channel loss and lack of Sky SPorts F1 etc, This is the final straw for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I heard that too but was thinking he meant it in the worldwide sense in that ESPNA across the world was shutting down.

It isn't listed on the new ESPN's schedule for tmw or Friday and both are off in the States for 2 weeks I think from next week but hopefully it'll appear (with clips!) after that. Probably wishful thinking on my part though.

At least we'll still have the podcasts.

I didn't know it was off the air in USA , I'll really miss ESPN America I was bed ridden and in and out of hospital for over a year between 2010/2011 and all I watched was ESPN America

I didn't know it was off the air in USA , I'll really miss ESPN America I was bed ridden and in and out of hospital for over a year between 2010/2011 and all I watched was ESPN America

Espn America is no longer available from 1st August
    Notting UPC or Sky or Bt sport
    can do about it its only allowed in USA from Friday
    Espn Classic is shutting down worldwide from Friday

It usually takes a 2 week break in early August and I'm just presuming it'll be the same this year. I haven't looked at the listings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Still no announcement from UPC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I guess we can forget about an announcement today

lertsnim wrote: »
    I guess we can forget about an announcement today
    I say that be correct
    I was talking to UPC yesterday about Horizon and while I was on the phone I asked about Bt Sport/Setanta and Espn
    Was told there should be announcement made on Thursday/Friday
    Asked what it was she told she don't know herself only to confirm Espn some channels closing
    I expect there will be a press release tomorrow or by Friday
    She agreed with me when I said UPC leaving this very late and lot of customers might not even be aware of this

We will know soon what that is we can only guess until we see in writing the press release or they put up a updated setanta package details on upc webpage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Thread called "Setanta's Announcement" running over in the UPC forum. Deafening silence from the reps in there at the moment despite a number of posts requesting info. Not exactly good PR for UPC today so far........

• Registered Users Posts: 29 KellyPavlik

See below online chat with UPC Rep:

Welcome to UPC Live Chat Service. A representative will be with you shortly.

You are now connected with Kris

Kris: Welcome to UPC Webchat, home of Ireland’s 150Mb broadband and On Demand Tv. My name is Kris, how can I help?

XXXXX: Hi Kris, Just wondering if there is any news on the BT Sports add on and pricing.. No doubt you have been asked this a thousand times today., but in any case here is one more...

Kris: We have ben asked a thousand times this week! Unfortunately there is no update on pricing at the moment, but there will be an announcement tomorrow on the BT Sports channel and information on how to sign up and the pricing etc. I am sorry I would not be able to help today, but tomorrow will be the day we can confirm everything to our customers.

Kris: Is that ok?

May mean nothing but ESPN is no longer listed as being available as part of the eg Max digital pack.

(as an aside ESPN America has listings for tomorrow on UPC TV guide when I checked earlier)

UPC are now saying that details on pricing and how to subcribe - not looking to good for a 'freeview' period - we live in hope !

As an aside, Virgin Media have not done a deal with BT Sport for carriage in the UK.

We may hear something tomorrow. The pure speculation now seems to be that Setanta Ireland may remain in the basic package with the others, including ESPN), forming the Setanta or (perhaps Premier Sports) package, at an additional price. But as I say pure speculation, nothing to back it up other than Setanta still being in the packages on the website whilst ESPN has been removed.

In the meantime, the only way we'll know if we still have ESPN tomorrow morning is to switch on and look. And its goodbye ESPN America and ESPN Classic from midnight tonight either way, for everyone across Europe.

Last program on ESPN Classic is the 1966 World Cup Highlights at 11.45 tonight, last program on ESPN America is 30 for 30:The U (Documentary series celebrating ESPN's 30th year on air) - ESPN America ceases at 6am August 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Infoanon wrote: »
    Last program on ESPN Classic is the 1966 World Cup Highlights at 11.45 tonight, last program on ESPN America is 30 for 30:The U (Documentary series celebrating ESPN's 30th year on air) - ESPN America ceases at 6am August 1st.

Have the DVR set gor the U. Meant to be excellent

• Advertisement

Have the DVR set gor the U. Meant to be excellent

You'd better hope the baseball game on a midnight doesn't go into extras and the DVR cuts off before the end!

Advertisement