Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2011 (Voting Thursday March 24)

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

constantg wrote: »
    maybe he was afraid of horses....or gingers :D
    The bolded moderator request in the post just above wasn't clear enough then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

And therein lies the problem. rather than address the feeling of disengagement, they attack and slander the disengaged. If anyone is bringing shame to their university it is those who went on the attack in this thread.

To the above poster claiming I am backing down. I stand over my opinion. I just chose not to entertain those who posted somewhat psychotic responses to my opinion.

Oh, and Mr. Young. I actually voted for you, I am beginnning to wonder if I made was wrong to do so given your atitude on here.

I also voted for Kelly O'Brien because her manifesto as presented on the voting page on the site was better than her opponent. so it was not for the want of learning about the candidates. most were still forgettable.

These candidates wanted my vote, I did not feel they worked hard enough to get it. that is an opinion, if you feel that is somehjow disrespecting UL then I fear you need to get a grip on yourself.

PS: whilst I may be critical of some of the campaigns. at least I voted. there are still 9,000 people these candidates failed to inspire.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

sceptre wrote: »
    The bolded moderator request in the post just above wasn't clear enough then?

was indeed mod. apologies.

2 things if i may though?

1, technically its not slander, its libel.

2, voting is, by definition, engagement, not disengagement.

Thanks, gonna unfollow this now.

Eamo

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Guys with all due respect, the point that was made was that the candidates did not put in effort, as much as people are allowed to make that statement I am will within my rights to make a statement that if you actually care about the Union you shouldn't rely on the candidates to come to you.

You should go forward, you should ask the questions. Anyone who I talked to during this week will know that I had the students at heart. I built my manifesto around everything that was affecting students.

Billy, if you feel that I was the wrong candidate to vote for because I feel that students should take an active role in ensuring the Union has top quality candidates and that they are in fact engaged and know exactly what the candidates are about then I apologize. But my point stands, an election should not be based off of candidates or their teams actually talking to each and every student in the University, when there is ample opportunity for any single student in the University to ask the questions they want and to raise their concerns.

If I am wrong for that then I apologize. Every candidate put their heart and soul into the campaigns and I feel it is wrong to disrespect them on the statement "I wasn't canvassed so they were uninspiring".

Edit: I guess what I am trying to say is that while it is all fair game to say that candidates are uninspiring, it is not okay to base that on them not canvassing an individual.

"there are still 9,000 people these candidates failed to inspire."

With all due respect, some people don't care and don't bother. Every effort was made to let people know elections are on and their is plenty of material. Some people simply won't vote. And while 9,000 did not vote there was an incredible increase in the number of voters from last year.

Just as a random point for general discussion. I had stopped a group of mature students (about 10-12) to have a chat with them. None of them were interested and said "We're mature students, we don't have a vote". That could of just been that particular group, but I was shocked when they said it. Needless to say when I said that they do in fact have a vote, they still weren't interested.

You can't blame the candidates that 9,000 didn't vote.

Guys with all due respect, the point that was made was that the candidates did not put in effort, as much as people are allowed to make that statement I am will within my rights to make a statement that if you actually care about the Union you shouldn't rely on the candidates to come to you.

You should go forward, you should ask the questions. Anyone who I talked to during this week will know that I had the students at heart. I built my manifesto around everything that was affecting students.

Billy, if you feel that I was the wrong candidate to vote for because I feel that students should take an active role in ensuring the Union has top quality candidates and that they are in fact engaged and know exactly what the candidates are about then I apologize. But my point stands, an election should not be based off of candidates or their teams actually talking to each and every student in the University, when there is ample opportunity for any single student in the University to ask the questions they want and to raise their concerns.

If I am wrong for that then I apologize. Every candidate put their heart and soul into the campaigns and I feel it is wrong to disrespect them on the statement "I wasn't canvassed so they were uninspiring".

No. I felt you were the wrong candidate as you accused me of disrespecting the entire university by expressing an opinion. that is your offending statement and I would like you to withdraw it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Just as a random point for general discussion. I had stopped a group of mature students (about 10-12) to have a chat with them. None of them were interested and said "We're mature students, we don't have a vote". That could of just been that particular group, but I was shocked when they said it. Needless to say when I said that they do in fact have a vote, they still weren't interested.
    Many postgrads think that too. When I told them they had a vote the amount interested was about 50%.

Mature students are actually great to engage in general I found, but like most students they don't come to us, they expect us to come to them, individually. Not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cheese and Onion Tayto

Guys.. its over.. back to getting a full nights sleep, food and we can all leave our fellow students to walk through the courtyard in peace...:)

salt and vinegar has been silenced..

well done to all candidates and campaigners...

its been a great week and finally can I just say that all those who posted negative comments etc etc have to eat their words...

The CURRENT Students of UL have spoken and Aoife Kenny is THEIR Education Officer!!

Thank you and good night...

Yours in Crispiness

Cheese and Onion Tayto

No. I felt you were the wrong candidate as you accused me of disrespecting the entire university by expressing an opinion. that is your offending statement and I would like you to withdraw it.

May have been a bit heavy handed but I still feel you were being very disrespectful with your statements and as you are entitled to an opinion so am I. I'll leave it at that.

It's really interesting Derek. Genuinely talking to some though I did realise that there are a lot of issues that can get overlooked by some candidates (or well myself at least) in relation to issues specific to Mature Students.

I'm thinking back to a conversation I had in the courtyard that was very difficult. How do you actually inspire students to get involved? Just in comparison to the US, students there treat their University as their home, college sports are greater than national ones and student body representation is taken so much more seriously as a whole. Wonder how we get that sense of "this is our home" here. Until that happens I can't see a lot of students making sure to get the info and make their vote count.

May have been a bit heavy handed but I still feel you were being very disrespectful with your statements and as you are entitled to an opinion so am I. I'll leave it at that.

dismissing a view that you don't like as disrespectful is in itself disrespectful. try to remember that. I still think you should withdraw the statement you made.

and i will leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭KellingtonDawg

I also voted for Kelly O'Brien because her manifesto as presented on the voting page on the site was better than her opponent.

Thanks for the vote! Much appreciated :)

Kelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

You know, sometimes if people care about their University and Students' Union it is their job to go and ask the questions

Too true!

The truth is, most people genuinely did not care about the election and didn't want to be stopped. People who are complaining about not having been canvassed, if you'd wanted any information at all I know that any canvasser would have been thrilled to give it to you!

I did a bit of canvassing for a candidate, about 5 hours work. Of all the people I stopped and gave sweets and manifestos to, and asked to vote, ONE, just ONE, person asked me to tell them why exactly the candidate deserved it above the candidate's opponent. Most people either ignored me or grabbed sweets and walked away. I asked many people that I stopped if there was anything they wanted to know, or if they wanted me to give them a run through of the candidate's manifesto, and the vast, vast majority said no. I also told people about the online voting system in case they didn't know, and I know other canvassers were doing this as well.

Canvassers are human beings too, and we find it as difficult as the next person to walk up to random people we don't know. Especially when we understand through experience that the majority of people don't want to see us at all! It's a tough thing to have to do, and I find the idea that anyone can accuse us or the candidates (who spent an entire week doing exhausting work and spending a huge amount of money on campaigns) of being somehow lazy for not getting to 12,000 students really, really offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

dismissing a view that you don't like as disrespectful is in itself disrespectful. try to remember that. I still think you should withdraw the statement you made.

and i will leave it at that

oh for god's sake, grow up!

if you've that much of a problem with it then flag the statement to the forum mod, sceptre. otherwise, withdraw yourself.

you're only showing yourself up here mate being brutally honest, no offence intended; honest opinion.

I don't see the point in anyone withdrawing any statements they've or withdrawing themselves from the discussion - or, with respect, highlighting that they're withdrawing from the discussion - this isn't Sweet Valley High or Matlock. People are entitled to have a reasonable opinion and people are entitled to have a reasonable opinion on the opinion of others. If you disagree with something someone has said, as this is a discussion forum, you can say why. But the requests for withdrawal aren't worthy of a county council meeting in the smallest pokey hole in Ireland. On a discussion forum, people are going to discuss things (though the "disrespectful of the university" line is taking the proverbial - folks, stop using it, people don't have to vote or engage if they don't want to and the elected still have the duty to represent them). If people can't spot that, then unfortunately you're living at the beginning of the wrong century. I'm particularly only concerned with the need by some to act the plonker by personalising the discussion against their fellow forum members merely for having an opinion and expressing it. Mind you, the ability to make a point and move on rather than treating it as though it were the 12 labours of Heracles is worth aiming for (that's aimed at a few of you, really, every point you don't like doesn't come with a compulsory need to reply).

Now, all of you, get over yourselves. None of you have cured cancer. And if you had, you'd still need to get over yourselves. Stop taking comments personally and you might be able to stop responding personally. And if they're meant personally, that's what the "report this post" button is for. Difficult it ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Adam_M

Hi All,

I just wanted thank everyone on here that voted for Paddy Rockett. It was a great week, although it can't really compare to last year but I guess i'll put that down to the fact that the lodge was closed - Just meant I got a bit more sleep than last year :D

Whoever had won that election in all positions, it would've been a great sabbatical team. That said, I must say I'm a bit sickened that a very close friend, in Tom Cranley, didn't get elected. Nothing against Tara Feeney, I think she'll do a very good job. I was perplexed at the time as to why Eamonn Boland got so many votes. Again, I've nothing against the guy, but it just proves that all UL want from a Welfare officer is the person who will push Durex condoms the most and I'm sure Derek will agree, the office is far more important than that.

Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭FrankAmazing

was it just the winners who were informed beforhand or the losers too?
    initially i thought it was both, but then someone pointed out to me that

a) if u lost wud u really have bothered coming in to the stables to see everyone else celebrating while you are gutted

and

b) eamonn boland was right up at the screen with a face of excitement like that of a kid on christmas eve as the welfare results were being announced....

i thought keith young also looked as if the result was new to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

All candidates were given the option, as far as I know we all took that option. Myself and Aoife found out together. I decided to stay for the announcement and publicly congratulate aoife and I'm sure she would have done the same thing. At the end of the day we're still friends.

Yeh, all candidates had the option to view the results for their election if they so wished. I unwittingly did it like 15-20 min early and then left my team guessing. Evidentally I have a good poker face, they kept switching between thinking I won and I lost haha.

When I was in the stables I knew I had already lost, just felt like I needed to be with my team when the results came out. It was at that point too that I couldn't keep it in ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭KellingtonDawg

I also chose to be informed before the results because I knew that continuous crying would be my reaction whichever way it went. This caused people to think I had lost... obviously I wasn't allowed to tell them I hadn't.

So when the results were announced, people were simultaneously saying "well done!" and then "you're some bitch for making us think you'd lost".

???

Perhaps next year we could have a shorter gap between candidate notification and public announcement... 30 minutes was a bit long!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

Well anyone who seen me before I found out the result myself would have known I was barely able to talk, and when I leaned against the bar in the Stables as the result was announced I was in a similar state so that was my attempt at hiding the result! I did tell the people closest to me, because they could read me like a book anyway!

I don't know if it's the right way, because even though I tried to sneak in the other door to the stables, I was still mobbed with questions which I had to brush off with a smile. There's probably a way of doing it that we all find out together but it gives candidates fair chance to react.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Everyone bar Paddy chose to find out in advance.

Next year nobody will know as there is going to be a module built into the software what will release the result on an hour-by-hour tally over the course of a minute or 2 so that the suspense can build and we won't know who will win from the first hour's results. Particularly in the Presidential race this year it would have been impossible to tell who'd won until the final hour was included as there were only 146 votes in the final decider once 2nd preferences came into play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Adam_M

ninty9er wrote: »
    Everyone bar Paddy chose to find out in advance

We found out as well. However, we decided for the teams sake not to tell anyone bar the 4 or 5 of us that were there at the time. We acted like we didn't know, but when one of us that knew looked at each other, it was hard to contain our delight. It would've ruined the climax for the team not to have found out in The Stables. That said, I would've loved for all us our (at least on our campaign team) to have found out at the same time in The Stables, however, the reasoning behind giving out the results before hand is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

Now that the FYP done and the Elections are over i want to say a Massive thank you to all who helped during the week and all the candidates who ran for election - you all ran in order to make the place even better and no one can hold that against you. To the following:
    Legends
    Adam Moursy - you little diamond, a great campaign manager and a true friend it was all about hearing the result in the stables and having ya beside me man it was worth 2 years of hell but we got it! whoop whoop LOVE YOU!
    Rob Sheahan - for all your help man it was a true pleasure to have you around this week, culminating in an epic finish of the Mary I ball crashing, the picnic and some Epic choons, for the help during the week and the constant boost that was so helpful during this tought week. And reminding me that people need to see the real Paddy Rockett and nothing more thank you! YOUR BIGGEST CRAIC WHORE!
    Ciaran Hennessy - I think back to the night we lost, outside the lodge, i had given up, on alot more than just elections, you and you alone pulled me back to the person i am today, you are my little brother (who is ironically taller than me) I am indebted to you in so many ways, you constantly gave me the push and the drive to keep going and nothing absolutly nothing can stop this freight train now. much Love
    Des Foley - The work you put in in preperation for this was huge and i would have not have done it without you, i was tired and could not have done any of this alone and you jumped in, fyp pushed aside and you stood up to help me out and that is a sign of one of the best friends i could ever have anyone that knows me knows that the highest honour i can give you is to call you just that. thank you so much! what about the much?
    Heros
    Nick the jew Kennedy - NEED I say more the DJ'n was unreal and you were there throughout the campaign the buzz around campus can be linked to what you did in the couryard - it kept the buzz and the faith in the possibility of great things to come in my year in office! Thank you.
    Mark Moloney - Sound so much ya big creep for facebook stalking the crap outta people it was exactly what was needed and it was class to know you were there, I know what you'd call me for all this but i can only say thanks with a bottle of something clear and refreshing sometime this week :)
    Tom Feehan - For the support all through your teaching practice and adding any one that would wear the poster for the week fair play to ya old friend - i see great things for your future cheif and i only hope I can help in the way you have helped me, never have i regretted meeting someone but time i ask myself whom do i owe for meeting someone like yourself.

Lads and Langers :)
    These were the epic peole who just jumped on the juggernaut that was this campaign and made it 1000 times better and they need special mention
    Dara Casey -Some man and absolute hero this week was ment to be about getting great people involved and it was an absolute pleasure to meet you chief.
    Lee 'Dubz' Casey - What a legend if it was blowing up those champagne bottles or chatting to hot women you we're the man for the job and i cant thank you enough for all your help!
    Ross O Maoláin, Kian Masters & James lucey -My three musketeers - what can i say about these lads, they were nothing short of amazing! there were times when i was tired and thought negitive things about the election and I would look at these guys and their own particular brand of madness and I thought that is what I live for, the sheer fun and crazy **** these mad feckers could come up with. You lads made my week....no wait the Mary I ball did...but ye were a close 2nd! :) HEROS! SSSSSSNNNNAAAAAKKKKKKEEEEE!
    Simon Malone - You gave me any time you could spare man and that wass unreal every constantkly around and there for the craic thanks so much dude!
    Sexton & Heartney - Always will have a place in my heart you two were constanly available and worked your ass off be it online or on the ground fighting - i expect great times next year and you lads at the hear and soul of it thanks so much.
    Lanks - often its hard to work against a friend of yours in something like this but you cam up trups and you always kept me entertained and gave me that wonderful shirt which i must return- you ar a hero since the day we met kiddo PINT?
    Ken English - you were there throughout and i knew it there was no need to ever feel apologetic about me not seeing you because i knew the work you did behingd the scenes and you helped me more than you'll ever know with things said on chat... i got re-charged gave a finger to the world and rolled on with my magnificent team...and you were at the core ....love ya brah! Its a long way from trying to get my laptop in the dorms ;)
    Alan Hayes & Mark Conway - any time you guys had you spent it with us and that was very important conway the boost you gave when i was stressed was comical and a necessity. Alan from since i met ya i have always kept the value of helping others as i have met a great person in ya and will continue with that charecteristic of mine as one of my most important. thank you so much!
    Adam Lahey - come back from Killkenny.
    Culoty and the Atlanta lads - sound so much for the support looking forward to working for/with you next year!s year on and the tables are so turn sure we can only have a pint on em! :)
    Mark White - ha YOUR BIG STUPID GRIN IN THE STABLES WAS HILARIOUS! sound so much for the support! :)
    Tony Hayes and cohorts - Again living proof of the madness and student craic that drives me in this place keep it going and we'll have some craic next year sound for all your help!

Wonderful Wags/Women
    Andrea Gallagher - your some mad young wan keeping the buzz and the happyness around the place with you and all your crew your asome hero and a really great friend always thank you!
    Fiona Malone - HA HA you were at home sick and you missed the madness - but thank you so much for all the help and support kiddo!
    Aine Seoighe - you were an absolute diamond this week and shone the brightest, you were there constantly and forever smiling thank you so much my great friend!
    Anne Rutherford - My international voter you are some hero and i love ya to bits but your still a vegetarian which is something im gonna try and sort out for ya....i'd love a burger!
    Mairead Trant- you were epic for the week it was an absolute pleasure and i was so glad for your help it was so nice of ya thank you so much! :)
    Anna Vlugman - You bubbly charcter thank you for all your help and talking to randomers who had no idea who you or me were sound!
    Mary Coughlan & Aoife Conway - ye two....what can i say... ye were brilliant! people with rockets on there faces and you guys with your uber fun sense of the world ye did me so proud and i love ye to bits!
    Ellen O Regan & Roisin Hogan - The dynamic duo - ye were the life and soul of the Campaign be ye talking to randomers and telling them randome stuff not relating to the manifesto or running around the place with the champagne bottles - legends!
    Emily Stickland and all her amazing friends- you made the campaign what it was tbh, it was you guys that were in early and home late thank you so much all ye're effort and support gave me a constant boost i owe ye more than ye'll know...oh and i have your jumper
    Ciara Crosbie - jaysus you shifted some load of peole for the vote...nah only messing you we're brilliant and i cant thank you enough sound for shifting ross he needed the boost! - think i shifted one of your friends in mollies....does she have my keys?
    Meadhbh Shepard - you were amazing and i cant thank ya enogh kiddo!
    And to anyone i forgot and to those who voted thank you so much you made a dream of mine possible and i cant thank you enough.

Incomming officers
    Aoife, Kelly, Tara and Derek - Amazing Campaigns all of you it was a pleasure to run this week in your presence, looking forward to a great year with great people, we're gonna have some laugh and work our ass off for all these students that mean alot to us.

To the candidates that did not make it
    Man I'm so proud of the work everyone put in and when i looked at all 12 candidates there is not any one combination that i could choose that would not put its heart and soul into making the students union a better place. you did yourselves proud and it was my absolute pleasure to run along side you. Particular mention should go to Alan O Sullivan a truely sound man that will do great things. Such great guy to campaign against never any animosity it was a pleasure afterwards to sit down and have a pint with you dude.

To one and all thank you so much
    PEACE
    Paddy Rockett ULSU Campaigns & Services Officer Elect

I've split off the discussion of the PSA (Postgraduate Students' Association) presidential election from this thread as the PSA is a representative organisation in its own right and very important when it comes to representing and aiding postgrad students at UL.

I've moved all posts relating to the PSA election to that thread. You'll find it here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056223975

Advertisement