Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,768 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm actually finding it very hard just on normal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Holy crap! I love this game
    Was expecting a big let down

Stev_o wrote: »
    Btw how many people got AVG detecting a virus when installing

http://www.geocities.com/thomasmoore10/farcry2.jpg

Seems to be SecuRom still sounds dodgy though

Yep I got that, but I selected "Heal"
    Game runs fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hows the pc multiplayer guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

reading a lot of bad things about multiplayer on ubisoft forum, havent tried it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I wouldn't worry about multiplayer. Dedicated online games are where its at for multiplayer, something like Far Cry is all about the single player in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

pvt.joker wrote: »
    its now available via steam in europe.

Ubisoft finally came to their senses then. Thanks Joker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Maximilian wrote: »
    Ubisoft finally came to their senses then. Thanks Joker.

about time they did. Even though play.com is cheaper i would've preferred to buy from steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,768 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Zillah wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about multiplayer. Dedicated online games are where its at for multiplayer, something like Far Cry is all about the single player in my opinion.

Agreed

Zillah wrote: »

Maybe not, wait till the modding community get hold of the map editor. Phoenix park anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

pvt.joker wrote: »
    its now available via steam in europe.

you'd think they'd be cheaper than most places though. jaysus 45 euros, they're taking the piss. i bought mine online for 30 euros, and it's in store everywhere for 40.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 andywal2828

Confab wrote: »
    Anyone who's thinking of buying FC2, it's €10 cheaper in Smith's Toystore (Mary St). Installing it now!

Edit: It won't activate. Says I've entered the wrong number. I've checked it five times, so I know it's right :(

Andy; i bought the game and it did the same thing is it true that they havent even activated the activication numbers yet??? i really pisses me ofmad.giffrown.giffrown.gifmad.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

hmm tempted to purchase off steam and mail back the play.com one.

Damn digital distribution it makes it so easy for me gorge on games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

DarkJager wrote: »
    Hey Soby, do you know how much it is in Xtra Vision? Planning to get this tomorrow morning but don't want to spend hours looking for cheapest/

sorry i only say your comment now. it was 59.99 for both editions of the game.So get the limited one if you can..i was just amazed by the case for like 5 minutes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Loving this I have to say. I've started hiking around instead of driving and running into trouble everywhere I go. I don't mind exploring for now but it can often sidetrack me. It is a tad ridiculous that everyone attacks you.

Checked out the map editor. Wow. So easy to create things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

only got around to installing my copy today, problem with buyingt two open ended games in the one weekend (Fable 2 aswell :D )

quality game!

How many people here picked the IRA character first?

(went with Kosovon myself)

I can see how the size and the respawning checkpoints can drive people mad! Esp when you are doing missions that require you to pass through the same checkpoint numerous times and you just constantly get bogged down with the feckers chasing you (I lost more jeeps being rammed off the road then any other way :( )

But its one of the few recent games where all the weapons have a real meaty *DONT F*CK WITH ME* feel to them.

Also yes alot changes depending on who you start with. first time loading while I had a few minutes to spare we were stopped by a black mercenary on the road (second time it was a white guy) and the whole first level was in a completely different place with different weapons (same car though).

Wouldnt add alot to the replay, but at least keeps it fresh.

I like the arms dealer missions, chasing down trucks and bombing them. I made the mistake of taking a sniper rifle to the first one I did, had to use the flamethrower as the truck passed to force him off the road into the river, then just lobbed a grenade into the back.

The buddy system is pretty cool too, got into a massive fight in the shantry town (so bad half the place was on fire) and when I got shot down a buddy came and pulled my ass out of the fire (literally) and the two of us cleared the village.

I likey alot

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

maybe they'll fix the whole A.I respawn thing in A patch?it is starting to bug me,but at the same time I like burning people with the flamethrower :D.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

me haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I love this game! I've just spent a frankly ridiculous amount of my saturday at it.

Did anyone else find the
    Gold AK 47? It rocks.

I love the way if you
    Die in the bar at the end of the first act you still continue with the story.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

I did as well, this means we won't get to hear him speak, but my young fella is playing as a different character but not met him as a buddy yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Just got the widescreen fix, in widescreen it was just using a 4:3 ratio with the top and bottom bits cut off.

Makes driving a whole lot easier/fun.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143018

• Advertisement

Spunge wrote: »
    Just got the widescreen fix, in widescreen it was just using a 4:3 ratio with the top and bottom bits cut off.

Makes driving a whole lot easier/fun.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143018

Just tried it, makes a big differnces, I'm using x:1.31 and y:1.253 which is recommended for 16:10, which looks much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Im kinda stuck on the southern map
    Im about an hour into the southern map and out of pills. The doctor said something about medicine but he was talking too fast plus the guns/explosions outside didnt help. Any idea where/how I can go about getting more pills?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

starting to feel nauseous myself after playing it for a few hours. I think what's causing it is the way the screen blurs in and out of focus whilst you are running.

Also, for anyone with the PC version and a recent ATI card, you have to get the recent ATI hotfix for this game. I tried running the game with different drivers and it was jerky as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Maybe go to the church in town and say a prayer ;)

BTW whats the story with the gold weapons?

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Anyone with AMD/ATI 4870 and Windows Vista 64bit is in for a world of crashes with or without the ATI hotfix driver. Played several hours and I have had 8 or 9 crashes back to desktop with no error message. The only thing to note is its quick to get back into the game.

Overall I'm liking it so far but its pretty tough on infamous difficulty level.
    Gameplay is good overall and its quite pretty to look at although its no Crysis in terms of graphics,physics and destructible enviroments. But its a more open game than Crysis is and runs at max settings for me at 1920x1200 with zero slow down.

A few things though.
    Lean keys and crouch would be nice.
    They need to increase the respawn time of enemys around check points they come back way to quick.
    Add in a few civilians here and there.
    PC mutiplayer needs reworking with a proper browser and the ability to join a game in progress (what where they thinking there).
    Offical Widescreen fix.
    Fix the damn water lilly appearing through the bottom of the boats :)
    All should be doable in a patch.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Also, for anyone with the PC version and a recent ATI card, you have to get the recent ATI hotfix for this game. I tried running the game with different drivers and it was jerky as hell.

I tried the hotfix but it caused problems, stuttering, from what I've read its only for the X2, not the single HD4870, back using 8.10 again. Can't install 8.11 RC no matter what, I install it, reboot and it says "No Ati driver installed", tried a few times.

just published my first map..wooooooooooo:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

So far FC2 is good, but it does strange things to my head, feel a bit sick and have headaches. Not worth the trouble, think I'll uninstall it.

Added to that, the whole driving thing is doing my head in. In FC1 it was a novelty, a bit of fun to break up the missions. Now it's just boring. Also the weapons dealers give you the same mission over and over. The only fun I get is blowing things up!

What the hell is up with the characters? No matter which one you play it's one-sided dialogue. We never utter a word and the NPCs seems to understand perfectly! Finally, the weapon jamming is very, very annoying. On average a real-life weapon jams every 5000 rounds. In FC2 they jam every 60-90 rounds. What's with the inconsistencies?

I'm off to kill all my buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Venom wrote: »
    Maybe go to the church in town and say a prayer ;)

BTW whats the story with the gold weapons?

As far as I can see ( I only got one) they are just normal weapons that degrade really really slowly, or possibly not at all. I used my Gold Ak for a dozen or so missions and it didnt jam at any point, I lost it at the end of the first act.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I have been halted in my tracks with all these crashes on the PC version. Going hope Ubisoft get a patch out fast to fix it.

Its a shame was enjoying it so far but I'll just have to go through Dead Space for now. Hopefully when I'm done with it the issues with Far Cry 2 will be fixed.

Advertisement