Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ross HD satellite kit B&Q

• 04-07-2012 10:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Just wondered if anyone bought one of these?
    I know they are cheap (€50 atm) but I really only want it for the spare room so I have somewhere to go when the wife is watching Corrie etc in the sitting room.
    It will never be used as our main source of TV stations as I have UPC in the sitting room,therefore it doesn't matter of I can't record on it or if there isn't a full 7 day EPG or whatever.
    I just thought for something basic that I can watch now and then plus get ITV HD for the Champions League games it might be worth it.

Also I know it's not the thread for it but I was gonna buy a cheap TV for the spare room aswell. If I was to get a HD Ready 19" or 22" HD Ready TV would there be much difference in picture quality for a Full HD version the same size?
    I would be connecting the Ross HD kit to it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Casey78 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just wondered if anyone bought one of these?
    I know they are cheap (€50 atm) but I really only want it for the spare room so I have somewhere to go when the wife is watching Corrie etc in the sitting room.
    It will never be used as our main source of TV stations as I have UPC in the sitting room,therefore it doesn't matter of I can't record on it or if there isn't a full 7 day EPG or whatever.
    I just thought for something basic that I can watch now and then plus get ITV HD for the Champions League games it might be worth it.

Also I know it's not the thread for it but I was gonna buy a cheap TV for the spare room aswell. If I was to get a HD Ready 19" or 22" HD Ready TV would there be much difference in picture quality for a Full HD version the same size?
    I would be connecting the Ross HD kit to it.

Thanks.

1. The kit will be absolutely fine for your needs
    2. On a screen that size, no, there would not be much difference. That said,
    nearly all are full HD now and price difference would be negligible at that size
    screen

You do know that you will need antenna (indoor might suffice depending on your location) if you required the terrestrial channels. The tv will be saorview compliant, so no need for a 2nd box though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Perfectly fine for your needs. The only real downside is not having a full 7-day EPG (it only has Now and Next) and you will have to regularly rescan for stations that have moved transponder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Thanks for the help guys.
    Will I have to re scan that often? It wont mean having to re align the dish or anything will it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Next Thursday Aldi have a 22" HD Ready TV for €150 (I think) - Saorview approved. Not sure how good it is? 3 year warranty or return after 60 days - full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Fieldies Dreams

Sounds good for 50 quid might get 1 myself,what channels do you get with this anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Thanks for the help guys.
    Will I have to re scan that often? It wont mean having to re align the dish or anything will it?

The worthwhile channels rarely if ever change frequency. It should be a fairly simple procedure to sort out those that do, or add new channels. No need to go near the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Sounds good for 50 quid might get 1 myself,what channels do you get with this anyone know?

http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

Lists what's available Free-to-air.

Advertisement