Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should an English pub be opened in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

raymann wrote: »
    as other people have said i would love a larger selection of biers and ales available in ireland.

But weirdly whilst Irish pubs all sell the same half a dozen beers, supermarkets, corner shops and off-licences in Ireland have a far wider selection of beers from around the World than your standard UK drinks retailer. I can buy my favourite US beers at any one of five locations within half a mile of my flat over here but when I lived in the UK I found them on sale in one off-licence ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Most English people who come over here just to get locked come to do so in Irish pubs, so putting an English pub in Dublin would be fairly pointless really

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Ole' English Style Pub with beer from the wood and an open fire on a cold day .Nothing that good will ever happen here though a phony mock-up style is a possibility .The days of real pubs selling real beer are long gone .I returned to some london pubs that i'd worked in during the sixties a few years ago only to discover everything was replaced with a scruffiness that rarely existed back then . A wholesomeness has gone out pubs . The food is nonsense too covered with sauce and grease .Dipping chips in little bowls of sauce says everything about catering these days .We've lost it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Englishman living in Ireland for 8 years in a town with 60 odd pubs.
    What is missing is variance. I don't often go out to get lashed but I did often go out for something different (albeit the place or the beer).
    Personally I feel most of the pubs are the same in look & feel & they are identical (& I mean identical, all 60 of them) on the products they sell. Some may be a little cheaper than others.
    As much as I hate wetherspoons they do have over 600 different beers over a year in each outlet. You just don't get that in Ireland.
    That & cricket are the only 2 things I miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

I don't miss 90% of British pubs, but the best 10% of British pubs (usually gastropubs) are as good or better than their Irish equivalent because of a. more choice of beer, and b. better food. There's no mileage in opening a "British" pub over here (it would probably get firebombed anyway), but a few lessons from the best British pubs and a decent chef would definitely be welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

They are terrible!
    They all are the same...I would hate for them to be in Ireland!!

There are Wetherspoons pubs in Ireland...and they're class. Yes they are all the same, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Cheap, cheerful and you know what you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

English Pubs are like Irish pubs with no character and gank drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Most English people who come over here just to get locked come to do so in Irish pubs, so putting an English pub in Dublin would be fairly pointless really

And yet the Irish bars in everywhere from Oz to the States are full of people in GAA jerseys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

You must be drinking in the wrong pubs, then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

kowloon wrote: »
    Cokeistan wrote: »

And yet the Irish bars in everywhere from Oz to the States are full of people in GAA jerseys.

Irish people have to wear GAA jerseys when they're abroad, especially when drinking. It's the law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Beefy78 wrote: »
    But weirdly whilst Irish pubs all sell the same half a dozen beers, supermarkets, corner shops and off-licences in Ireland have a far wider selection of beers from around the World than your standard UK drinks retailer. I can buy my favourite US beers at any one of five locations within half a mile of my flat over here but when I lived in the UK I found them on sale in one off-licence ever.

My local has the usual Guinness, Heineken, Bud, Carlsberg etc, but they also do Smithwicks Pale Ale (Which is lovely) and Caledonian Smooth on draft, as well as a few craft beers, such as Galway Hooker in bottles.

Variety is the spice of life.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I'd like to have seen irish pub owners brew their own beer .It's not a complicated process and it might be what the trade needs but the breweries are very powerful .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Wetherspoons rule. But doubt they will be allowed in anytime soon.

No problem with an english pub here at all. More competition can mean a better product.

It will confuse barstoolers though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Bollix. A pubs a pub. Once it is clean, has good bartenders, a nice selection of beers, looks after its lines, serves decent food and doesnt have tvs/music blaring I am a happy camper.

The above and the company you are supping with make a night out. Not the flag flying outside.

My only problem with an English bar in Dublin would be that it would attract the "Engeeeerland" "ten german bomber" "two world wars and a world cup " type crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

There are Wetherspoons pubs in Ireland...and they're class. Yes they are all the same, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Cheap, cheerful and you know what you're getting.

Where, where, where are they? and have they brought their cask ales with them? > http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7244/7073741313_9e00aa3b71_z.jpg

Gasping for a real pint!

LordSutch wrote: »
    Where, where, where are they? and have they brought their cask ales with them? > http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7244/7073741313_9e00aa3b71_z.jpg

Gasping for a real pint!

I'm pretty sure he means up North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

IrishAm wrote: »
    Bollix. A pubs a pub. Once it is clean, has good bartenders, a nice selection of beers, looks after its lines, serves decent food and doesnt have tvs/music blaring I am a happy camper.

The above and the company you are supping with make a night out. Not the flag flying outside.

My only problem with an English bar in Dublin would be that it would attract the "Engeeeerland" "ten german bomber" "two world wars and a world cup " type crowd.

Those guys don't live in Ireland, at least I haven't met any. An English pub in Ireland is more likely to attract some smart star little bollox ranting about da famine and looking to cause trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I suspect you are refering to Northern Ireland, which of course already has them, and there was me thinking that JD had arrived here in the Republic :(

Bugger.

Whenever I'm in the UK it's rare for me not to pop into a 'Spoons pub sooner or later (usually sooner). Full English breakfast for £4 can't be argued with, for a start.

Weatherspoons may be cheap & have some good gues ales on tap but they are soulless appropriations of the public house experience, imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

If anyone manages to move Leeds' North Bar (and its barmaids, more importantly) to Dublin I'll just get my salary mandated directly to them and live in the basement.

On Wetherspoon's: the beer is good, the food is decent, everything is eye-bleedingly cheap. I'd never go for atmosphere (although some are fantastic - the Knights Templar is excellent) but if you want a decent meal with a beer it's unbelievable. And their beer range is usually way above your average joint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Whenever I'm in the UK it's rare for me not to pop into a 'Spoons pub sooner or later (usually sooner). Full English breakfast for £4 can't be argued with, for a start.

The £4 breakfast is a false economy. It is prepared in a large factory outside Birmingham, and is microwaved on-site for your convenience. It is everything that food shouldn't be; cheap, nasty, processed, and laden with salt in an attempt to disguise the fact that the meat is something you probably wouldn't feed a stray cat.

If anyone manages to move Leeds' North Bar (and its barmaids, more importantly) to Dublin I'll just get my salary mandated directly to them and live in the basement.

On Wetherspoon's: the beer is good, the food is decent, everything is eye-bleedingly cheap. I'd never go for atmosphere (although some are fantastic - the Knights Templar is excellent) but if you want a decent meal with a beer it's unbelievable. And their beer range is usually way above your average joint.

I don't doubt it but for me, it's the equivalent of going to the Berni Inn or McDonald's. Not my cup of tea (or pint of Pride) :)

Sergeant wrote: »
    The £4 breakfast is a false economy. It is prepared in a large factory outside Birmingham, and is microwaved on-site for your convenience. It is everything that food shouldn't be; cheap, nasty, processed, and laden with salt in an attempt to disguise the fact that the meat is something you probably wouldn't feed a stray cat.

It tastes good though.

I did have the worst meal of my life at a Wetherspoons though - a burger at the one in Bournemouth which was beyond vile. Pretty revolting. I believe that they freshly cook the burgers and steaks, unlike most of their menu as you point out.

The Curry Club on a Thursday is pretty good as well.

I'd never go for atmosphere (although some are fantastic - the Knights Templar is excellent)

Yeah the Knights Pemplar is a great pub. I celebrated my 32nd in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

A girl in England once asked me "in Ireland do you have Irish bars, like we do over here?"

-_-

Lia_lia wrote: »
    A girl in England once asked me "in Ireland do you have Irish bars, like we do over here?"

-_-

I hope you told her we do.

When the Irish Bar concept took off in the 90s greedy publicans and developers sold up and started gutting decent pubs in Dublin and replaced them with orange walls, faded signage, bric a brack and general fakery. Just look at the Norseman or Potters Bar (now Tonic, in Blackrock*) or any number of pubs in the Dame St environs... :(

*PB sold for a song and was replaced by a hideous Irish theme bar - The Swan - which, thankfully, didn't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

LordSutch wrote: »

Gasping for a real pint!

Belfast, Coleraine, Enniskillen, two in Derry. There might be a few others that I havent been in, but these are all great. Yes they're samey and you could argue in some sense soulless, but great beer, great prices and (varying between establishments) great food. Nice and big so there is usually no bother getting a seat and no blaring music or TVs. Big bar and lots of staff so no long queues. It may not have the charm of a little independent place but in all honesty it's hard to fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

old hippy wrote: »
    Weatherspoons may be cheap & have some good gues ales on tap but they are soulless appropriations of the public house experience, imho.

They took over a lot of Woolworths back in the late 80's/early 90's

We used to joke they were ' beer supermarkets'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Theres no difference between an Irish pub and an English pub, theyre one and the same thing. The only thing is that if the retards that crawled out of the sewers for the Love Ulster riots in dublin get a chance to riot again an English pub is the first place that will be targetted and destroyed.

Advertisement