Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

galwayrush wrote: »
    Forget about for many years to come, we haven't even got to a 'save the rare very common bog cotton or other such 'issues' stage yet.

Wrong thread - that's the GCOB.

AFAIK they've rehoused the bats that were the major possible ecological issue with this scheme, so funding appears to be the only issue here (latest update discussed a few weeks back).
    LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Just giving this thread a bump to keep focus on it. I check it daily and get very disheartened when it gets left in the shadows

If you want to keep tabs on this project (apart from the national papers) keep an eye on www.galwaynews.ie & http://www.tuamherald.ie/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

galwayrush wrote: »
    Forget about for many years to come, we haven't even got to a 'save the rare very common bog cotton or other such 'issues' stage yet.

Far too late for those people to get in - this scheme has planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 moto111

Bit surprised how nobody has commented on Roadbridge,sisk,and AIB been awarded this new tender 2 weeks ago , might start next summer according to rumors, kick-off date for sure is 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭muchos04

That's good news......might be a move on this soon so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I hadn't heard at all is why, any chance of a Linky Poo proving the contract award/start date ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Super

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭muchos04

What site can this tender be viewed on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

moto111 wrote: »
    Bit surprised how nobody has commented on Roadbridge,sisk,and AIB been awarded this new tender 2 weeks ago , might start next summer according to rumors, kick-off date for sure is 2013.

Are we sure about this? Or is this another "Newlands Cross is starting in September"............??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

LINK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Never heard about this. If true its great news.

Edit: I cant find it anywhere online. So it would be good to give a source for this.

• Advertisement

I suppose BAM will be kicked off Newlands Cross next ??

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Need a verified source for this please. No point in raising our expectations with a baseless rumour! Would be savage news if it's true........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Someone fire off an email to Anna Marie please. She spurns my advances these days :(

I'd be very surprised if this was true that none of the Galway papers have had it. It would be front page news (and make a bit of a stink at the national level too that the money isn't being spent on MN/DU).
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I suppose BAM will be kicked off Newlands Cross next ??

If they can't raise the funds to do it they should be kicked off both NX and this project, poste haste.

The tender for this was announced in September of last year, so it raises a question on the time allowed by tenders to take up a contract.

Does anybody know if there's a limit on how long between the granting of a preferred tender and when a contract has to be signed?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

Any proof of this been awarded? Cant find information anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭fabsoul

would be great news it true

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

I know that this probably will be annoying, but I spoke to a local politician who I happened to see this morning after reading the boards post. I asked him abou the project and he says there will be an announcment this week and good news is expected. But, he says to expect that a toll has been added to sweeten the deal for the backers, otherwise the project would not be going ahead. The debate will be whether it is north or south of Athenry........ This could have been all hammered out already for all we know. Nobody in north Galway will pay a toll to go into the city via motorway, believe me, they just won't. The big money spinner toll-wise would be somewhere on the Gort-Athenry section methinks, as they would catch more motorists already on a motorway journey. Why do we have to be so hammered with tolls heading to/from Galway:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

No objection to a toll from me if it means that the current deathtrap road will be replaced asap.

jenningso wrote: »
    I know that this probably will be annoying, but I spoke to a local politician who I happened to see this morning after reading the boards post. I asked him abou the project and he says there will be an announcment this week and good news is expected. But, he says to expect that a toll has been added to sweeten the deal for the backers, otherwise the project would not be going ahead. The debate will be whether it is north or south of Athenry........ This could have been all hammered out already for all we know. Nobody in north Galway will pay a toll to go into the city via motorway, believe me, they just won't. The big money spinner toll-wise would be somewhere on the Gort-Athenry section methinks, as they would catch more motorists already on a motorway journey. Why do we have to be so hammered with tolls heading to/from Galway:mad:

They want everybody to move out of the west of Ireland so they can fund metro north.:rolleyes:

On a more serious matter, if there's an ounce of truth in that it's a done deal and it'll probably be announced in/alongside the infrastructure budget that we're all waiting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Speaking to somebody at work, they said Leo was on a galway radio station this morning saying it is canned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Tolls on this are a very hard sell.

North of Athenry its just too much of a diversion for Galway traffic.
    South of Athenry is too easy to dodge unless the Kiltiernan junction is removed or has south facing slips only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

antoobrien wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there's a limit on how long between the granting of a preferred tender and when a contract has to be signed?
    There is no limit on how long a tender remains open as long as the contractor agrees to extend the tender validity period. Tenders are usually valid for 90 days (can vary depending on what it says in the tender documents) but if the contract has not been awarded within this period, before it expires the contracting authority will send out a letter asking the contractors to extend the validity period (usually for an additional 90 days). This can happen multiple times. In this event the contract is awarded to the lowest valid tender, who may not be the lowest original tender (who may have refused to extend the validity period and are therefore disqualified). It is possible to sign a contract with SRB at this stage if they are the lowest valid tender.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/big-road-projects-slashed-to-spare-ministers-welfare-cuts-backlash-2928029.html
    Among the departments hardest hit will be Transport. Its allocation will fall from an expected €1.397bn to €1.221bn for 2012. Funding will fall to €900m the following year and less than €880m in 2014.

Much of its capital budget is earmarked for projects already built. Some €200m a year is needed to maintain roads, more than €600m is needed next year to repay the cost of the motorways and local authorities typically receive about €400m to maintain and upgrade roads.

This means there's nothing left for big-ticket items, including Metro North, the DART Underground, DART Airport link and Luas BXD -- the linking of Dublin's Luas network.

Other department badly hit on capital project spending include Public Works (down 17pc to €100m); Defence (31pc to €9m); Foreign Affairs (down 33pc to €4m); Justice (30pc to €56m); Arts (30pc to €42m) and Children & Youth Affairs (down 27pc to €8m).

The memo acknowledges the cuts will mean valuable engineering and construction expertise will be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭touts

600 Million to repay the cost of the motorways?? Is that an annual fee? So much for the tolls paying the costs.

Mix of annual and one off, as the one offs are paid the overall budget drops. Annuals are M50, M3 and Limerick Tunnel only.

There is perhaps €100-€150m at most for new projects per annum so I reckon the 4 year roads plan will be ( at most now)

1. Galway Bypass
    2. Newlands/Arklow
    3. Misc M50 and M1 widening.
    4. Gort - Tuam (but perhaps only Claregalway Bypass)
    5. N22 Macroom.
    6. N5 Ballaghadereen

And that is it. They will kill all the rest.

In 2012 they will dismember the NRA project design teams and move them to maintenance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭touts

Mix of annual and one off, as the one offs are paid the overall budget drops. Annuals are M50, M3 and Limerick Tunnel only.

There is perhaps €100-€150m at most for new projects per annum so I reckon the 4 year roads plan will be ( at most)

1. Galway Bypass
    2. Newlands/Arklow
    3. Misc M50 and M1 widening.
    4. Gort - Tuam (but perhaps only Claregalway Bypass)
    5. N22 Macroom.

And that is it. They will kill all the rest.

In 2012 they will dismember the NRA project design teams and move them to maintenance etc.

You can forget about two projects being done in Galway. No way it will wash politically to have one county get that level of investment no matter what the need. Same for widening the M50 and M1. It would be political suicide outside Dublin to spend hundreds of millions adding a couple of meters to the width of the best roads in the country while the rest of the country crumbles into the ground.

IF there are projects (and that's a big IF) they will be geographically dispersed for political reasons and my bet is they will simply dodge the issue for a couple of years and not build anything for by tying every project up in new reviews, studies and appeals. Eventually a decision will have to be made but not soon.

touts wrote: »
    You can forget about two projects being done in Galway.

I can't see GCOB being started next year anyways, as it's to be ruled on by the ECJ sometime in the first half of 2012. Then it has to go back to the supreme court for final ruling, go through tender etc etc etc (assuming the case is awarded against gormless's attack dog).

We'll be lucky to see movement on the road before 2014 on purely procedural grounds, never mind the financial stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Tremelo wrote: »
    Someone fire off an email to Anna Marie please. She spurns my advances these days :(

Spoke to someone else in NRA today. They confirmed that the Roadbridge/Sisk/AIB consortium are looking to build the scheme and trying to secure bank finding.

Couldn't give a timescale but were confident that the scheme will go ahead...

Might be some indication after the fiscal publications tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

You can forget about two projects being done in Galway. No way it will wash politically to have one county get that level of investment no matter what the need. Same for widening the M50 and M1. It would be political suicide outside Dublin to spend hundreds of millions adding a couple of meters to the width of the best roads in the country while the rest of the country crumbles into the ground.
    What makes you think people in other parts of the country would even know the M1 was being widened? Unlikely.

It'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭what_traffic

You can forget about two projects being done in Galway. No way it will wash politically to have one county get that level of investment no matter what the need.

I thought so too.
    But @endacunningham has tweeted about 1 hour ago(He's a journalist for the Connacht / Galway City Tribune) that its going ahead.

RT @endacunningham Gort to Tuam Motorway & #Galway City Outer Bypass to survive savage Govt cuts. See Trib tmrw

Advertisement