Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a MPEG2 USB Dongle be made into a MPEG4 Dongle?

• 25-10-2009 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Title says it all. I bought one of these from Ebay two years ago during the Trials.
    Can I now "upgrade" it to make it work again with the current Tests?
    If so how?
    Came with Blaze software.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,952 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

if it works with other tuning software like progdvb, altdvb or gbpvr etc then should just be a matter of getting codecs to play back the video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

If you install VLC on your computer it should work via the "open capture device" option (Watced a bit of RTE and TV3 from Truskmore this evening in the car using this method)

Mind you I havent figured out how to record video or do a channel scan (figuring out frequency can be tricky) in VLC yet :(

BTW I was pulled over and Truskmore is on 730.000 MHz (Ch 53)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    If you install VLC on your computer it should work via the "open capture device" option (Watced a bit of RTE and TV3 from Truskmore this evening in the car using this method)

Mind you I havent figured out how to record video or do a channel scan (figuring out frequency can be tricky) in VLC yet :(

BTW I was pulled over and Truskmore is on 730.000 MHz (Ch 53)

Installed VLC, but unable to get any video/audio from dongle - I know it works as audio ok with Blaze. In "capture device" with settings on DVB-T, I must be missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

BowWow wrote: »
    Installed VLC, but unable to get any video/audio from dongle - I know it works as audio ok with Blaze. In "capture device" with settings on DVB-T, I must be missing something?

What your missing is the correct frequency for Dublin. It differs from transmitter to transmitter. Correct frequency for Three Rock for Dublin is 738000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

DVB viewer works very well with a standard MPeg 2 usb dongle! I use DVB viewer with a Hauppage HVR 600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

STB wrote: »
    What your missing is the correct frequency for Dublin. It differs from transmitter to transmitter. Correct frequency for Three Rock for Dublin is 738000.

Thanks, did that, its now working and I can watch the various stations, but its not as user friendly as Blaze where you just launched it and it played without having to Capture Device, load Frequency etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

BowWow wrote: »
    Thanks, did that, its now working and I can watch the various stations, but its not as user friendly as Blaze where you just launched it and it played without having to Capture Device, load Frequency etc.
    Richie Blackmor posted this on another thread - might ease the pain:)

Like parasite up there, I have been using a convenient shortcut to VLC except, being in Dublin, the frequency is different.

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" dvb-t:// :dvb-frequency=738000000

I just click the shortcut, wait a few seconds and up it comes. It is very stable with no dropouts or pixelation. It is VLC version 1.0.1, a Hauppage Nova-T USB stick, a One For All SV-9020 passive indoor antenna and a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. I'm in an apartment block in Santry so it is a little surprising that it works so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wibbleman

I have a HVR-900 USB tuner that states (like most others) MPEG2, but this works very well under Windows 7 (Media Center). The EPG looks great and the user interface is very easy. As with all these tuners it is the software that does the decoding, so all you need is software that can decode MPEG4 (VLC, or Windows 7 for example). With windows 7 it just worked first time (no codec's to download etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 GoldBullion

Can someone please help a complete novice. I am in Enfield Meath. I have the am USB DVB-T Receiver.

I have downloaded VLC as advised above and opend Capture Mode DVB DirectShow, Device Selection DVB-T, Options Transponder/ Multiplex Frequency 738000 kHz, Bandwith 8.

When I hit play I get the following message:

Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvb-t://frequency=738000000'. Check the log for details.

What am I doing wrong?
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Brian/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG] [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Brian/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 18 PWSHAM

GoldBullion, had the same problem on Vista. Had to run VLC as an administrator.

• Advertisement

Hi PWSHAM, I ran VLC as administrator and entered the settings - Nothing happened !!! Any suggestions??

• Registered Users Posts: 18 PWSHAM

Sorry, can't remember if I done anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭jimmyjim11

You could try Power DVD 9 Free trial for 30 days codec should still work after trial is over ;)

could try media portal as well

I eventually got RTE 1 on VLC Frequency 738000000

Reception is not great it keeps breaking up. It must be my loaction.

How do I change channel on VLC ? ie RTE2 or TV3 do I need to enter another frequency?

Advertisement