Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 seasonoflove

I've spent all afternoon fretting after reading these posts but at the end of the day, the points for medicine cannot keep going up by large amounts every year. If you look at HPAT and CAO stats for the past few years, around 80th percentile and 600 LC points guaranteed a place in Trinity. I'm not predicting anything and I know that the maths points have to be considered but I genuinely cannot see Trinity going above 746/747. I don't mind where I end up this year and would be delighted to accept any place whatsoever on my 740 points.

I was reading the Qualifax website this evening and this sort of (but not really) put things into perspective:

' Given that there are between 480-490 places on offer from the five medical schools this year, an applicant would have to score above the 80th percentile to be in the top 500 scores on the HPAT assessment. The overall range of scores achieved inn the assessment ranged from as low as 71 to the highest scores of around 230 out of a maximum possible score of 300 marks.'

Remember that not everyone that gets high points in the LC gets a high HPAT and vice versa. I wish all of you the best on Monday and if it doesn't work out for us there's always next year, the UK and post-grad. Fingers crossed we don't get another mammoth point jump on Monday but until then let's stay positive :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

sparky1111 wrote: »
    Hey guys, does anyone know how I go about withdrawing my application and if I'll get a refund? I'm from england and have just got my results and met my offer(i applied to ireland as a backup). Being a poor student I'll need every penny I can get! :)
    If you mean a refund of your fee for applying through CAO, then no. It's an administration fee for processing your application, it's not refundable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Maclovinx

Has anyone any opinions on UCC? I have 741 and am desperate to go there!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mad Shark

Maclovinx wrote: »
    Has anyone any opinions on UCC? I have 741 and am desperate to go there!:)

Should be enough - fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 barry_murphy

Hey guys,

Now I've got 752 in hand and my first choice is RCSI. I am so worried if I fail to get a place. Would my results in college from last year affect my CAO application? I'm asking because I did really badly in the pharmacy course of RCSI.. Also, I wonder if not doing Irish be a concern since it is in the requirement. But I came to Ireland in 2009, so do I get an exception?

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone here!
    Cheers!:D

**PS:_____535 (in 2011 LC) + 25 (bonus) = 560->552(after adjustment)
    __________552 + 200 (in 2012HPAT) = 752
    __________Hope I didn't get this wrong.. I'm so nervous right now!!:'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 seasonoflove

Be sure that maths was originally included in your points. Not everyone counts the full 25 points. Check this link if you're not sure :)

http://www2.cao.ie/schools_corr/sep_2011/BonusPointsMathsWithExamples.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

What are the odd of the points for medicine going down ? The highest Hpat score from last year was down although there was supposedly an increase in people applying....

Also does anyone know is it possible to repeat your Hpat without repeating your leaving and vice versa.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

What are the odd of the points for medicine going down ? The highest Hpat score from last year was down although there was supposedly an increase in people applying....

Also does anyone know is it possible to repeat your Hpat without repeating your leaving and vice versa.

Thanks in advance

I haven't seen any predictions thinking that points will go down, not to say that its 100% impossible, but very unlikely with the extra applicants and 25 extra points for HL maths...

You can repeat the LC and HPAT independently from one another

• Registered Users Posts: 5 barry_murphy

Be sure that maths was originally included in your points. Not everyone counts the full 25 points. Check this link if you're not sure :)

http://www2.cao.ie/schools_corr/sep_2011/BonusPointsMathsWithExamples.pdf

Thanks for your advice! I am pretty sure they all count because maths was my only A1 among all my subjects.. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Creidim

I got 684 and my mother thinks I have a great chance of getting Medicine.. poor woman :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mad Shark

Creidim wrote: »
    I got 684 and my mother thinks I have a great chance of getting Medicine.. poor woman :pac:

what will we be like without them !!

Does anyone know what time 1st round offers are out on Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

They're out at 6am. :)

They're out at 6am. :)

Fab, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MtHanrahan

I reckon points for med will increase by 5 - 15 points at least. Saying this because of the bonus points in maths, increased numbers sitting higher level maths and irish and this will effect medicine because traditionally these were the go-to subjects to drop down as well as English when under pressure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Wobbledeeboop

MtHanrahan wrote: »
    I reckon points for med will increase by 5 - 15 points at least. Saying this because of the bonus points in maths, increased numbers sitting higher level maths and irish and this will effect medicine because traditionally these were the go-to subjects to drop down as well as English when under pressure.

I would argue that an average A1 ordinary level maths student could manage at least a C1 pretty easily in higher level

Lost all credibility right here, should have had someone proof read your blog first

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Is there a way of getting into medicine post grad after doing a B.Sc without a Hpat?

Lost all credibility right here, should have had someone proof read your blog first

why not? under the presumption that the student did higher level from 5th year and actually tried. Obviously i didn't mean teach a student in pass and then make them sit the higher level paper on the day. That would be stupid. Also I thought C1 was pretty conservative, seeing as Project Maths dummed it down for ye :P

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    Is there a way of getting into medicine post grad after doing a B.Sc without a Hpat?

Yes but there is a different entrance exam for that

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

why not? under the presumption that the student did higher level from 5th year and actually tried. Obviously i didn't mean teach a student in pass and then make them sit the higher level paper on the day. That would be stupid. Also I thought C1 was pretty conservative, seeing as Project Maths dummed it down for ye :P
    Lawl, just butting in to say I probably could have gotten an OL A1 after seeing the exam and got a HC3, project maths is not dumbed down - it just has less material but it's more interlinked and you have to be creative with it.

• Advertisement

So if I missed by a few points on medicine and I got into a biology course could I then enter med?

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Lawl, just butting in to say I probably could have gotten an OL A1 after seeing the exam and got a HC3, project maths is not dumbed down - it just has less material but it's more interlinked and you have to be creative with it.
    Patchy, generally I like what you say so please don't be offended but less material + creativity = dummed down in my view, that along with writing in the question paper. Maths doesn't require 'creativity' it requires you to know what you are doing and why and what will happen as a result! Perhaps I overestimated the abilities of irish students.

Btw, and sorry to use you as an example like this but if you got a C3 that means you got about half the paper wrong, didn't know what you were doing and more than likely would not have gotten a A1 in pass. I'm looking at this as a med student who saw so many people in medicine with pass maths who would have been well able for higher level but didn't do it to focus on other subjects.

So if I missed by a few points on medicine and I got into a biology course could I then enter med?

Best to go into first year biology, repeat the Hpat in that year and reapply for undergrad medicine for 2013.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Patchy, generally I like what you say so please don't be offended but less material + creativity = dummed down in my view, that along with writing in the question paper. Maths doesn't require 'creativity' it requires you to know what you are doing and why and what will happen as a result! Perhaps I overestimated the abilities of irish students.

Btw, and sorry to use you as an example like this but if you got a C3 that means you got about half the paper wrong, didn't know what you were doing and more than likely would not have gotten a A1 in pass. I'm looking at this as a med student who saw so many people in medicine with pass maths who would have been well able for higher level but didn't do it to focus on other subjects.
    [url]Http://mthanrahan.com[/url]
    Fair enough, I'm not offended :pac: I never claimed to be a maths prodigy, I only did it for the points. I didn't mean creativity as in "lets make things up" or something, it's more logical thinking on the spot rather than learning "when I see this I must do this" which would have worked for a lot of things (thats why I'm almost certain my P1 brought me up, but I had no idea what any of the stuff I was doing meant in real terms). The only removed section I've heard of is vectors which are supposed to be tedious but easy.

I didn't really know what I was doing, partly because the exam was completely different to what I expected, but after seeing my sister's OL P1 I know I would have gotten a very high score if not an A1 because I had 7 of those questions done at HL (just not complex numbers) and I did have some understanding of the concepts, so it wasn't totally alien to me. I looked at P2 and it actually had one question we got at HL too, which really required thinking and spontaneity, not rote-learning - hardly dumbed down.

I don't know or care if I'd have gotten an A1 in pass because maths doesn't interest me or anything, but I do know that I wouldn't have done badly, even if I got half of HL wrong. :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Best to go into first year biology, repeat the Hpat in that year and reapply for undergrad medicine for 2013.
    Bear in mind that if you do that, you will most likely be paying *full* fees for your first year in medicine (rather than just the "Student Contribution Fee" or whatever they're calling it now) as you will have already done first year once.

Ok patchy, maybe you could have got the A1 in pass. Fair enough and good response.

But I just want to make the point (to everyone not just you) that what you see in project maths is not creativity. In maths, creativity is doing something in a way that it would not normally be done or seeing something which is not obvious. Such creativity is found in competitions such as the maths Olympiad. one would be lucky to get 40% in any of these papers under exam conditions. Every year we send our best and brightest to get at most 6 or 7 points out of 42. And thats brilliant. Most come back with just 1. If creativity was in the leaving cert. then A1s would not be as common!

Bear in mind that if you do that, you will most likely be paying *full* fees for your first year in medicine (rather than just the "Student Contribution Fee" or whatever they're calling it now) as you will have already done first year once.

Ya but you'll pay monster fees if you do 4 years of grad med.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Hey guys,

Now I've got 752 in hand and my first choice is RCSI. I am so worried if I fail to get a place. Would my results in college from last year affect my CAO application? I'm asking because I did really badly in the pharmacy course of RCSI.. Also, I wonder if not doing Irish be a concern since it is in the requirement. But I came to Ireland in 2009, so do I get an exception?

Your college results will have no effect, you're applying on the basis of your LC & HPAT. I'd also assume that if you've already been offered a course (pharmacy last year) without Irish, then you're obviously exempt, so you'll be ok!

As regards your maths result, don't just put the 25 points on at the end of your points. Add it to your maths result first, then add your top 6 subjects.

Yes, you can repeat either. The HPAT result lasts for 2 years.

If you get a 2.1 in a degree and sit the GAMSAT exam, you can apply for graduate entry medicine. It is a very competitive programme, and the GAMSAT is a very tough exam - most people take a few months to study for it. There is a forum specifically for GAMSAT and Graduate Entry Medicine on boards which has all the information you need.

Bear in mind, you have to pay fees per year of a graduate programme, so it will work out much more expensive than the undergraduate programme.

I haven't done the leavng cert yet, I'm just being a shhhnake to see what's the story with doing medicine in the future :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Darksider

you can repeat the hpat or try enter as a postgrad. for postgrad you need to be in the top of your class for the biology degree and then do the gamsat.

Advertisement