Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts about GMIT

• 25-02-2011 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17 loverboy

hey guys want to go to GMIT next year just wondering how ye rate it as a college?? thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 loverboy

Also which student village is best in your opinion for a first year??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

loverboy wrote: »
    hey guys want to go to GMIT next year just wondering how ye rate it as a college?? thanks!

Depends on what the question is really,are you wondering about a specific course or how the lecturers are or what its like to live in galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 loverboy

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Depends on what the question is really,are you wondering about a specific course or how the lecturers are or what its like to live in galway?

Oh about the lecturers and galway life?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jitter

I love Galway life! I'm a from a small village though where there's only 2 pubs to go to so I might be easily pleased.
    I live in Glasan, management try rip ya off on everything but I think its the best craic out of all the other student accomodations. I lived in Gleann na Ri last year and it was nice too, but the walk can get annoying.

GMIT campus = Non existant.
    Galway night life = Messy! :D
    Annnnnnd, Glasan is good for first years ya, but its a complete and utter kip and you will never get your full deposit back. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Galway's a great city. Lovely people and great buzz around the place. If you let us know what course you're hoping on doing maybe someone can give you an insight into it as the lecturers are different for every course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

GMIT campus = Non existant.
    Galway night life = Messy! :D
    Annnnnnd, Glasan is good for first years ya, but its a complete and utter kip and you will never get your full deposit back. :)

ok so i'd be interested in a bit of detail on the sh!t campus. more than just a generic it is sh!t. like what is sh!t about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

hdowney wrote: »
    ok so i'd be interested in a bit of detail on the sh!t campus. more than just a generic it is sh!t. like what is sh!t about it?

There is no campus. There is a building where lectures are on and that's it. Want to see a 'campus' have a look down in UL.

so there is nowhere with like other campusy type facilities etc. like where do they have the library, student services, do they got a canteen etc

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ole112

GMIT is a great place to go to college, finishing up my 2nd year now and they have been the best ones of my life. There is a great atmosphere to the college. Don't understand the reference to the campus been '****'. There is a common room, canteen, chill out zone, gym etc.
    Galway it'self, plain and simple is the best place to go to college....
    Student accom, go for glean na ri, altough I live in Glasan, they just rip ya off..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 powpow

OP, it depends, what are you thinking of studying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

What's the gym like? Is it part of a hotel?

No there is a standalone gym on campus, pretty basic facilities though. There is a Kingfisher leisure centre 3 minutes walking distance from the main campus and they usually offer good student deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

I'll give you one bit of advice unless it's hotel management or maybe some of the engineering courses don't go to gmit!
    Seriously it's reputation is poor and getting worse with students who cheat final year submissions being allowed graduate on appeal I'd say employers are looking at a lot of gmit graduates c.v.'s and dumping them!
    I'm not an nuig graduate but I'd say student life there is far better nicer campus, better facilities, good student bar etc.
    If you can go elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Glasan will be fine for a 1st year
    The management company are sharks, they'll invent reasons to keep part of your deposit

I also lived in Cuirt Na Rasai. Loved it, great accommodation but a bit of a trek to GMIT. But then a nice walk too, 15 minutes at a swift pace through Castlepark

All the same, do you want to walk home on your own at night? Consider that

What used to be the Days Hotel has a small gym but good swimming pool. For a hotel, it's not realy that expensive. Might be worth it if you'll use it

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

ted2767 wrote: »
    I'll give you one bit of advice unless it's hotel management or maybe some of the engineering courses don't go to gmit!
    Seriously it's reputation is poor and getting worse with students who cheat final year submissions being allowed graduate on appeal I'd say employers are looking at a lot of gmit graduates c.v.'s and dumping them!
    I'm not an nuig graduate but I'd say student life there is far better nicer campus, better facilities, good student bar etc.
    If you can go elsewhere.

What an ill informed post and poster. FYI the rumpus over cheating was in Civil Eng. There is now a new President so there is bound to be a bit of a shake up. You know nothing about NUIG either- far from a bed of roses, some very poor teaching indeed and the issue re standards ie endemic there also. Plently of disgruntled NUIG students. 'Good student bar'... that says it all.. where u spend most of your time.... no doubt. Plenty of conjecture and sumising in ur post such as "I'd say..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Please keep this thread on topic it's not here for attacking either GMIT or NUIG!
    First and final warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 billinkinvara

I am a mature student at GMIT. I am completing my second Bachelor's degree.

There are three kinds of people at any place. Those that love it, those that hate it and those that are indifferent. By far, the vast majority of People at GMIT are excellent committed students, staff and professionals.

The standards compliances are vigorously audited. Unfortunately some people appear to get away with creative manipulation of context and rules for their own benefit.

The younger student body has a good set of hard core partiers that last 1 or 2 years then they start to get interested in learning something. But there are a lot of hard core students, that are responsible and know how to have fun. There's also a lot of students that commute daily and work as well and strategically manage their party, work and study resources.

There are a good group of business students that are vociferously interested in building their own global businesses. These folks are motivated and bouncing ideas off each other to come up with ways to create jobs. It's great craic.

The people that are slandering GMIT are ignorant of the facts. Unfortunately these people don't understand what ignorance is.

The core curriculum is the same across all of the campuses. The difference is the staff and facilities. The Staff in all positions and roles at GMIT are exceptional. Unfortunately there are a few folks that exceptionally bad but there are other motives involved.The majority of people at GMIT are absolutely wonderful. There is no snobbery or class system. They even treat Dubliners with respect. It's a great place to be.

The wireless network coverage can still be improved in 20% of the campus. The gym is adequate for machines and free weights and sports.

The restaurant is totally top shelf. There is a decent student lounge. The library and IT room are adequate.

Galway is a great place to be. The pace of life and energy of Galway is unbeatable. If you want stress and violence and crime go to a different city in Ireland because Galway is a wonderful peaceful place more often than not.

It's easy to get around by foot, bike and bus.

Best of luck!

-Bill

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

I am a mature student at GMIT. I am completing my second Bachelor's degree.

There are three kinds of people at any place. Those that love it, those that hate it and those that are indifferent. By far, the vast majority of People at GMIT are excellent committed students, staff and professionals.

The standards compliances are vigorously audited. Unfortunately some people appear to get away with creative manipulation of context and rules for their own benefit.

The younger student body has a good set of hard core partiers that last 1 or 2 years then they start to get interested in learning something. But there are a lot of hard core students, that are responsible and know how to have fun. There's also a lot of students that commute daily and work as well and strategically manage their party, work and study resources.

There are a good group of business students that are vociferously interested in building their own global businesses. These folks are motivated and bouncing ideas off each other to come up with ways to create jobs. It's great craic.

The people that are slandering GMIT are ignorant of the facts. Unfortunately these people don't understand what ignorance is.

The core curriculum is the same across all of the campuses. The difference is the staff and facilities. The Staff in all positions and roles at GMIT are exceptional. Unfortunately there are a few folks that exceptionally bad but there are other motives involved.The majority of people at GMIT are absolutely wonderful. There is no snobbery or class system. They even treat Dubliners with respect. It's a great place to be.

The wireless network coverage can still be improved in 20% of the campus. The gym is adequate for machines and free weights and sports.

The restaurant is totally top shelf. There is a decent student lounge. The library and IT room are adequate.

Galway is a great place to be. The pace of life and energy of Galway is unbeatable. If you want stress and violence and crime go to a different city in Ireland because Galway is a wonderful peaceful place more often than not.

It's easy to get around by foot, bike and bus.

Best of luck!

-Bill

Here here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Galway wrote: »
    What an ill informed post and poster. FYI the rumpus over cheating was in Civil Eng. There is now a new President so there is bound to be a bit of a shake up. You know nothing about NUIG either- far from a bed of roses, some very poor teaching indeed and the issue re standards ie endemic there also. Plently of disgruntled NUIG students. 'Good student bar'... that says it all.. where u spend most of your time.... no doubt. Plenty of conjecture and sumising in ur post such as "I'd say..."

Just as you know I'm currently a student in GMIT.
    My opinions are totally valid, this is my second time in third level education in Ireland and in my opinion the standards in GMIT are at best average.
    My statements about employers are borne out by experiences of myself and my classmates who in our final year are struggling to find employment even with excellent grades.
    If you decide to disagree with me be my guest but get your facts right first.
    Fact there is an issue in GMIT with cheating in assessments and students who on being found out were allowed graduate after appeal.
    Fact there is an investigation being launched into this and the isssue has had fairly widespread national media coverage.
    Whilst this may have happened in the engineering dept the entire college is affected by this.
    So in my opinion I'd say it's fairly safe to say that the reputation of GMIT has suffered because of this, and I'm not aware of NUIG being similarily aaffected althouh I'm open to correction on that.
    Are there some excellent staff in GMIT of course there are but in the wider public reputation is massively important and wheter right or wrong the whole college has been affected.
    So I think I'll stand by what I said my advice to anybody thinking of attending GMIT is if they have the option of going elsewhere then take that with both hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Was a student in GMIT and stayed in Glasan student accomodation.

They are nice, standard houses, decent sized rooms and right accross the road from the college.

Although, the nearest shop is a supervalu (if my memory serves me well) about a 10/15 minute walk up the road, which isnt great on the pocket. Tesco and Dunnes is a good bit away, so you would either need to have a car or be getting the bus with all your shopping or taxi. It's about 8/10euro taxi into Galway city centre for the nightlife.

But all the other posters are bang on, the management are SHARKS. They try to retain most if not ALL of your deposit. Only got about 30euro each year back out of my deposit.

Learn from our mistakes. If you choose Glasan, document everything when you arrive, take pictures of everything especially any marks or wear and tear. Make an inventory and get them to sign that and the photos (print them out) and you sign and date them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Will probably have to drive to GMIT next year. What's the parking situation like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

early in the morning might be hard to get parking but around 1 or 2 o clock is fine, you can always down near lurgan park, guaranteed space and lots of cars park there.

mink_man wrote: »
    early in the morning might be hard to get parking but around 1 or 2 o clock is fine, you can always down near lurgan park, guaranteed space and lots of cars park there.

Actually I find its the exact opposite!

No problem getting parking before 9:15, after that forget about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 the simpsons

they have a really bad gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

they have a really bad gym

has what ya need, they also hooked up with the carlton last year which was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rooneysdaman

I am just finishing up 1st Year as a mature student and have to agree with this poster. I am very concerned about the cheating scandal and I'm not buying the line that it won't have any effect whatsoever on prospective employers. I do worry that it will somehow 'taint' my degree and am just hoping the story will have long gone away by the time I graduate.

That said, I've really enjoyed my time there so far. I've worked hard, been challenged and really learned a lot. I've also done my fair share of partying with the young ones, only real difference between me and them is that I can afford the taxi home at the end of the night! LOL The lecturers are by and large, sound and enthusiastic. There are a couple of bad apples but you'll get that anywhere. My only complaints would centre on the library - the opening hours suck and the technology is not great, you actually have to be present on campus to access a lot of data that you should be able to get into from your home computer - previous exam papers for example.

ted2767 wrote: »
    Just as you know I'm currently a student in GMIT.
    My opinions are totally valid, this is my second time in third level education in Ireland and in my opinion the standards in GMIT are at best average.
    My statements about employers are borne out by experiences of myself and my classmates who in our final year are struggling to find employment even with excellent grades.
    If you decide to disagree with me be my guest but get your facts right first.
    Fact there is an issue in GMIT with cheating in assessments and students who on being found out were allowed graduate after appeal.
    Fact there is an investigation being launched into this and the isssue has had fairly widespread national media coverage.
    Whilst this may have happened in the engineering dept the entire college is affected by this.
    So in my opinion I'd say it's fairly safe to say that the reputation of GMIT has suffered because of this, and I'm not aware of NUIG being similarily aaffected althouh I'm open to correction on that.
    Are there some excellent staff in GMIT of course there are but in the wider public reputation is massively important and wheter right or wrong the whole college has been affected.
    So I think I'll stand by what I said my advice to anybody thinking of attending GMIT is if they have the option of going elsewhere then take that with both hands.

My only complaints would centre on the library - the opening hours suck and the technology is not great, you actually have to be present on campus to access a lot of data that you should be able to get into from your home computer - previous exam papers for example.

Monday - Wednesday 09.00 - 22.00

Thursday - Friday 09.00 - 21.00

Saturday 10.00 - 17.00

In fairness the opening hours are reasonable?

As for not being able to access exam papers from home, you mean this?

I'm not sure what you mean by the technology, there are a few old pc's left in the library, but most have been replaced this year and the rest will be replaced by next semester apparently, but even so, why not just walk downstairs to the IT centre?

Or do you mean the facilities for checking out books etc.?

I am just finishing up 1st Year as a mature student and have to agree with this poster. I am very concerned about the cheating scandal and I'm not buying the line that it won't have any effect whatsoever on prospective employers. I do worry that it will somehow 'taint' my degree and am just hoping the story will have long gone away by the time I graduate.

That said, I've really enjoyed my time there so far. I've worked hard, been challenged and really learned a lot. I've also done my fair share of partying with the young ones, only real difference between me and them is that I can afford the taxi home at the end of the night! LOL The lecturers are by and large, sound and enthusiastic. There are a couple of bad apples but you'll get that anywhere. My only complaints would centre on the library - the opening hours suck and the technology is not great, you actually have to be present on campus to access a lot of data that you should be able to get into from your home computer - previous exam papers for example.

what you studyin?

i am coming over to gmit on monday for some sort of yoke. i am not sure exactly what it is. they didn't specifically say it was an interview (like a have an interview for dkit on thursday - they specify interview in their letter). the gmit thingy mentions my application is being considered for the quota of places, (ok they do mention interview ish) and say i am required to attend for interview and advisory session. they give two basic times - 9:30am and 1:30pm for attendance. i am going to assume this means that i will be with other mature people at the start - for the 'advisory' thingy whatever that is, and then we will all be called off individually for our interviews?

anyone go through this last year and can give me a bit more of a heads up on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 elcy86

I'm just finished my 3rd year doing Heritage Studies in the main campus and this is the first time I've heard anything about a cheating scandal

Advertisement