Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News Thread for all Garda Reserve related

• 24-01-2010 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭

68.jpg

Everyone, please feel free to post links and information to show the progress that the Garda Reserve concept has made and I believe it certainly would make interesting reading now and in the future.

I would like to start this new thread with this: http://www.herald.ie/national-news/recession-drives-1700-to-apply-for-garda-reserves-2120888.html

"The volunteer reserve squad is supposed to offer support to full-time members, but many now say they would rather be provided with better working conditions. However, garda grumbles will not be listened to by Justice Minister Dermot Ahern who has no intention of cutting back on the Reserve. Instead, he intends to push ahead with even more recruitment."

I got the idea from this E.S. thread.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Folks just wondering if anybody saw the article in today's Sunday Indo, titled 'Crime gangs run riot as under-resourced garda force struggles'. Now while this article was the usual sensational crap that the Sunday Indo has become very adept at recently, this paragraph in particular caught my eye.

The Garda Reserve "initiative" has completely floundered. Despite setting up a management structure of the same size and seniority as the structure in the DMR West, the reserve has attracted only a few hundred members who as one Dublin garda said, "mostly sit around the station".

Just wondering what you all think both regulars and reserves alike. As a Reserve I would have to agree with this assertion, as Garda Management do not seem to know or care what to do with the Reserve. While they may be still recruiting Reserves, the Garda Reserve in it's present guise serves little or no purpose, and were it to be disbanded in the morning it would make little or no difference to policing in this country. Anyway that's my view on it, I would love to see Reserves making a real difference, but unless we are given more responsibilities along with relevant powers, that will never happen.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/crime-gangs-run-riot-as-underresourced-garda-force-struggles-2029331.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dubbhoy

Folks Completed my meeting with the local super who said he would be recommending me. What is the next step. I heard that the BR check could be still not complete. I would have thought that they would have being complete if they arrange for u to meet with the local super ?

Also any reserves out there on Phase 2 where does the 56 hrs of training take place is it at stations and is it suit around me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

"as one Dublin Garda said...."

I dunno Gilly, just because one said it doesn't mean it's the same all over the country. I never get to sit around the station, there isn't room anyway.

Sure, it feels like a bit of a sham but I can live with that, I'm not pissed off with it yet but it could happen in time I suppose.

Depends on what you want from it, if you're highly motivated and want to make a difference, you will find yourself up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jeanxx

Hi guys,

Just letting you know that myself, two other reserves from Kilkenny & Galway, Superintendant Simon O'Connor & Sergeant Greg Mekitarian will be on the Pat Kenny Show tomorrow on RTÉ Radio One (10am - 12pm) talking about the Reserves & what it's like.

If anyone is interested in joining, is in the process, is a Reserve or just wants to listen in then please do :)

Thanks a million,
    Jeannine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

Jeanxx wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just letting you know that myself, two other reserves from Kilkenny & Galway, Superintendant Simon O'Connor & Sergeant Greg Mekitarian will be on the Pat Kenny Show tomorrow on RTÉ Radio One (10am - 12pm) talking about the Reserves & what it's like.

If anyone is interested in joining, is in the process, is a Reserve or just wants to listen in then please do :)

Thanks a million,
    Jeannine :)

Out of interest how did this come about?!

da__flash wrote: »
    Out of interest how did this come about?!

I got a phone call from my training sergeant and the super to see if I would like to do it, they did it last year for the Tubridy show as well!

• Advertisement

I got a phone call from my training sergeant and the super to see if I would like to do it, they did it last year for the Tubridy show as well!

How'd it go.. I was at work so missed it any where i can listen to it?

I was surprised at the good editing for my bit, I was asked about the uniform at one point & I'm glad that was edited out :P

What did ya think of the interview?

:)

I was surprised at the good editing for my bit, I was asked about the uniform at one point & I'm glad that was edited out :P

What did ya think of the interview?

:)

good no infairness credit where its due now i have to say:cool:

da__flash wrote: »
    good no infairness credit where its due now i have to say:cool:

Thank you, we tried to make ya's all proud ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jenny81

Thank you, we tried to make ya's all proud ;)

Great interview well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭kensey

Indo article
    Hi everyone.
    Speaking as someone who's in a similar position to many in here, I.e., waiting to join full time, I thought this might be of interest

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/embargo-forces-garda-hopefuls-to-look-north-2191273.html

You would think at this stage their facts would be correct about the reserve force. I can safely say from my own experience that what reserves I know are certainly utilized to a maximum. High Vis patrolling, traffic, public order issues. Reserves including myself are issued with full equipment including h-cuffs, oc (pepper spray), asp Batton and everything else a full time member has. We also can arrest for various offences and assist with many also.

I honestly think, and I'm positive I'm not alone on this.... But after almost 5 years of the reserve in progress, they're should be some type of internal recruitment campaign for serving members. We are attested members of AGS after all

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

kensey wrote: »
    We are attested members of AGS after all

Hi kensey.

Please see this thread for correct use of terminology.

This forum recognises the difference between "attested members", and "attested reserve members".

I refer you to my post which is linked above, in order to satisfy all those who visit our forum, and to remove any confusion that might ensue.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

I find it very strange that nobody is discussing here what the article was basically all about, the fact that AGS have no idea what to do with The Garda Reserve. As a Reserve I am well used to sitting around the station, been stuck in the back of a car, or dumped up in the Radio room, when the main purpose of the Reserve was to have more members out on the beat. I know things move slowly within AGS, but surely after four years Garda Management can see that it is not working in it's present guise, so it is time to either scrap the Reserve or put it to the use that was intended. This should also include giving Reserves with two or more years service, relevant powers and responsibilities, as to be honest the Reserve is nothing more than a joke as it presently stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Areyoumad

gilly2308 I have to agree with you. After being in the reserve a while now I cannot see any progress in it. I don't know if you where at the reserve conference in Dublin in February but we where told that the reserve "Will hopefully be looked at within 12 months". Hopefully !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I can see the reserve being good for is for people who want to go into AGS fulltime. For anybody else it is just a waste of time.

I keep on hearing that it will be looked at but it is the Gardai so it will be "Hurry up and wait" I think.

Maybe someone in authority outside the gardai will look at the piece and start asking more questions as to why there has been no progress but I doubt it very much.

kensey wrote: »
    Indo article
    Hi everyone.
    Speaking as someone who's in a similar position to many in here, I.e., waiting to join full time, I thought this might be of interest

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/embargo-forces-garda-hopefuls-to-look-north-2191273.html

You would think at this stage their facts would be correct about the reserve force. I can safely say from my own experience that what reserves I know are certainly utilized to a maximum. High Vis patrolling, traffic, public order issues. Reserves including myself are issued with full equipment including h-cuffs, oc (pepper spray), asp Batton and everything else a full time member has. We also can arrest for various offences and assist with many also.

I honestly think, and I'm positive I'm not alone on this.... But after almost 5 years of the reserve in progress, they're should be some type of internal recruitment campaign for serving members. We are attested members of AGS after all

Well it is the media after all, they don't get everything right but the jist of the article is right. As the article said it various from station to station and even sergeant to sergeant. I personaly have not been given OC spay and I know of 2 reserves in my station who do not even have cuffs or Baton's because they have not been attested yet.

By the way did anybody here of a direction coming down that full time gardai are not to give their Tetra radios to reserves if they are not using them if they are in the station!!!!!!!!!!. Achap I know who is in another station was told that recently. He was not told if it came from the GRA or from an official Garda Direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Areyoumad wrote: »
    Well it is the media after all, they don't get everything right but the jist of the article is right. As the article said it various from station to station and even sergeant to sergeant. I personaly have not been given OC spay and I know of 2 reserves in my station who do not even have cuffs or Baton's because they have not been attested yet.

By the way did anybody here of a direction coming down that full time gardai are not to give their Tetra radios to reserves if they are not using them if they are in the station!!!!!!!!!!. Achap I know who is in another station was told that recently. He was not told if it came from the GRA or from an official Garda Direction.

Gardaí are not to give their TETRA radios to ANYONE......Reserves use the station pool.

Same for O/C at the discression of the Skipper on duty. In regards cuffs and batons .....???? are you really a reserve?? Student Reserves do not carry batons/cuffs.....same as student Gardaí.

Finally please read the charter....it includes a ban on talking about directives.

Thanks

Yep I am a reserve and have been for a while, I received my baton and cuffs before I was attested, may be they are doing it different lately..I also noticed that new reserves are not wearing the blue tabs on their shoulders anymore. Well I did so that has changed.

I was not discussing a directive, I was asking was anything sent out......There is no station pool for full time members or reserves where I am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Yep I am a reserve and have been for a while, I received my baton and cuffs before I was attested, may be they are doing it different lately..I also noticed that new reserves are not wearing the blue tabs on their shoulders anymore. Well I did so that has changed.

I was not discussing a directive, I was asking was anything sent out......There is no station pool for full time members or reserves where I am

This is an acceptable post....you first one was not and shall not be tolerated on any ES forum or sub forum.

Student reserves I have seen are still wearing the blue epps. Maybe they decided themselves to take them off.

In regards radios, request in writting access to a TETRA radio while working if you are on out doors duty. No member, student or reserve should be left without a radio on outdoors duty.

gilly2308 I have to agree with you. After being in the reserve a while now I cannot see any progress in it. I don't know if you where at the reserve conference in Dublin in February but we where told that the reserve "Will hopefully be looked at within 12 months". Hopefully !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I can see the reserve being good for is for people who want to go into AGS fulltime. For anybody else it is just a waste of time.

I keep on hearing that it will be looked at but it is the Gardai so it will be "Hurry up and wait" I think.

Maybe someone in authority outside the gardai will look at the piece and start asking more questions as to why there has been no progress but I doubt it very much.

Unfortunately I am over 35 so becoming a full time member is not an option for me, and while I would not necessarily agree that been a Reserve is a waste of time for anybody that cannot join the full time force, the current setup for Reserves is pretty poor.

I did not attend my Regional Appreciation night this year, as to be quite honest I have already attended two in previous years, and every year it is the same old rubbish. We get told how great we are, how appreciated we are, and then when we look for more powers, responsibilities etc, we are told that our wishes will be passed on to the Commissioner. Surprisingly enough we never hear anything back from Garda Management, and while I understand that Garda Management have more pressing matters to deal with, it does show that the whole Garda Reserve concept is pretty low down on the list of priorities.

Everybody from TDs to Reserves, to Kathleen O'Toole, to full time members agree that the whole Reserve concept needs to be looked at, yet all we get is a deafening silence from Garda Management.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

gilly2308 wrote: »
    Everybody from TDs to Reserves, to Kathleen O'Toole, to full time members agree that the whole Reserve concept needs to be looked at, yet all we get is a deafening silence from Garda Management.

This seems to be the opinion from most members of the Garda Reserve, and it's a pity because you guys are giving your own time and energy, free of charge, to serve your country, and it doesn't seem to be achieving its aim due to the lack of powers you have been given.

All things considered, at this point, anyone who is a member of the Garda Reserve gets 10 out of 10 for sheer sticking power.

psni wrote: »
    This seems to be the opinion from most members of the Garda Reserve, and it's a pity because you guys are giving your own time and energy, free of charge, to serve your country, and it doesn't seem to be achieving its aim due to the lack of powers you have been given.

All things considered, at this point, anyone who is a member of the Garda Reserve gets 10 out of 10 for sheer sticking power.

PSNI I know that the PSNI are supposed to be getting rid of the part time Police Reserve, which I believe are basically part time Police Officers with full police powers. Anyway while they would not be a like for like replacement, I was just wondering are the PSNI bringing in Specials like the rest of the UK Police Forces, or will they be staying with just a purely full time Police force?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

hi all

thought i point out that there was a 2 page article in last weeks dubliner magazine about the reserve, havent found it online yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

could you scan a copy for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

yea have a copy i see what i can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 boardsbandit200

I woud strongly disagree with you in relation to the Reserves being a waste of time.

I've been a reserve for three years now and i will be leaving it shortly. In three weeks I will be moving to Manchester to start a course in Social Work- I did not have the points/ qualifications to enter this level 8 honours degree course- something along the lines of 450+ points.

However- through a process I was able to enter because of 'current learning experiences- and general life experience- i dont want to say too much here but pm me if you want a bit more info- all i'll say is that i'm delighted i got through and being in the reserves was the only thing that got me through:).'

The reserve concept does need looking into- but calling it a waste of time is an insult to the reserves who have stuck it out.
    It has been nothing but a great experience for me- i would have continued to do it- if i didn't have to leave the country for three years.

Also well done to any other reserves who go on duty most weekend nights, If you guys are utilised as much a I was on a saturday night then fair play- especially to the older lads with families.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

I woud strongly disagree with you in relation to the Reserves being a waste of time.

I've been a reserve for three years now and i will be leaving it shortly. In three weeks I will be moving to Manchester to start a course in Social Work- I did not have the points/ qualifications to enter this level 8 honours degree course- something along the lines of 450+ points.

However- through a process I was able to enter because of 'current learning experiences- and general life experience- i dont want to say too much here but pm me if you want a bit more info- all i'll say is that i'm delighted i got through and being in the reserves was the only thing that got me through:).'

The reserve concept does need looking into- but calling it a waste of time is an insult to the reserves who have stuck it out.
    It has been nothing but a great experience for me- i would have continued to do it- if i didn't have to leave the country for three years.

Also well done to any other reserves who go on duty most weekend nights, If you guys are utilised as much a I was on a saturday night then fair play- especially to the older lads with families.

I will agree with most of what you have said above. I will soon be undertaking a degree course, partly because of what I learnt on the street and in the station with the help of the full time members and their experiences. If you get new skill/s out of the Reserve, then your time there has not been a waste of time, life is what you make it after all. And try and laugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

from the ES thread, thanks Lehanemore ... Reserve Garda nominated for Scot medal

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/brave-reserve-garda-helps-nab-axeraid-suspect-2390344.html

another one.

and there was I thinking I was doing a great job turning cattle in off the road:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Extract from IrishTimes 27'11/2010
    THE PART-TIME Garda Reserve force will reach its full strength in the next two years and would almost double in size if all of those applicants on the waiting list were cleared to join.

The recruitment of reservists has not been affected by the public sector recruitment moratorium because it is an unpaid force.

The Garda Representative Association (GRA) has already criticised the continued recruitment of unpaid part-time reservists at a time when the recruitment of full-time gardaí has been stopped.

Supt Simon O’Connor, who is in charge of the Garda Reserve, said the plan had always been to increase numbers in the part-time force to 10 per cent of the total number of full-time gardaí.

“We are well on course to make that happen and we already have the numbers selected for the next two years to make it happen,” he said.

Supt O’Connor was speaking at the latest reservist graduation ceremony at the Garda College, Templemore, Co Tipperary.

Following the graduation of yesterday’s class of 84, there are now 707 fully attested reservists with a further 100 in training.

A further 300 will enter training next year, having already been cleared for membership, and a second batch of 300, also already vetted, is expected to join in 2012.

This would bring numbers in the reserves up to just over 1,400 by the end of 2012.

While there are currently 14,500 full-time gardaí in the Republic, this number will begin to fall due to retirements because recruitment of full-time members has stopped.

By the end of 2012, there will most likely be substantially fewer than 14,000 gardaí in the force, meaning the 1,400 project number of reserve personnel will exceed the full strength reservist target of 10 per cent of the full time force.

Supt O’Connor said there was a further waiting list of 900 people who had applied to join the reserves.

These applicants had yet to be vetted and it was unclear how many would eventually become reservists.

Nine per cent of the existing reserve force are non-Irish, comprised of 22 different nationalities.

Addressing the new graduates yesterday, Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy said their presence on the streets provided reassurance to members of the public, particularly some elderly people who felt isolated and vulnerable in their homes.

The GRA, which represents all full-time rank-and-file gardaí, last week reiterated its concerns in relation to the reserve force.

It said in its Garda Review magazine: “The Garda Representative Association opposed the Garda Reserve.

“We still do, and for good reason, as the Government teeters on the edge of a sovereignty abyss, the camouflaged use of unpaid, improperly trained volunteers in place of real policing undermines An Garda Síochána.”

Advertisement