Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHAA 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The 10k in Corkage Park is a new one, down the road from me so could be on for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Some interesting races there. The 10k in Corkach park looks particuarly interesting to me. Could be a good alternative to the mayhem of the race series 10k in swords...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

The 5 miler in Dunboyne is a great race, well worth the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

menoscemo wrote: »
    Could be a good alternative to the mayhem of the race series 10k in swords...

Why are you thinking that race will be mayhem? I was going to give it a lash on the basis that it will be less crowded than the races in the Park (Swords at 10.30 on a Sunday morning!), and run on wider roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Peckham wrote: »
    Why are you thinking that race will be mayhem? I was going to give it a lash on the basis that it will be less crowded than the races in the Park (Swords at 10.30 on a Sunday morning!), and run on wider roads.

The swords one is down on my plan, but I'd just fear it being crowded like the Race series 5 miler. Do you know the course? Are the roads wider etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

menoscemo wrote: »
    The swords one is down on my plan, but I'd just fear it being crowded like the Race series 5 miler. Do you know the course? Are the roads wider etc?

I know most of the route, and certainly the first two miles are on very wide roads. However what I don't know is how much of these roads they will be closing off. For example, much of the first few miles is along a dual carriageway - not sure whether they will be closing off one side or one lane of the dual carriageway, or sending everyone onto the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Saturday should be the driest day of the week & month!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭plodder

Peckham wrote: »
    I know most of the route, and certainly the first two miles are on very wide roads. However what I don't know is how much of these roads they will be closing off. For example, much of the first few miles is along a dual carriageway - not sure whether they will be closing off one side or one lane of the dual carriageway, or sending everyone onto the footpath.
    The whole route is on decent wide roads. If they're doing this at all, they might as well do it properly and close the roads completely. There won't be any traffic getting into Swords from the Malahide roundabout anyway. So, they could close that whole side of the bypass. Have to say, I'd be very surprised if there is any congestion problems on the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Corkagh park 10k :) , there was one there a few years ago and never run it, doubt that it will be a very fast course but going to be a must run for me I think.

I did the one a few years ago and was a disaster. Path ways were open to walkers in the path so everyone was competing for space. Flat enough course too.

I am sure BHAA will run it well and not have every day walkers on the path during the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Only noticed the Dublin half marathon is not on the list above, just when I'd talked myself into racing it :o
    Time to get the calendar out again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Is the RTE race on Saturday still €15 to enter if I just show up and register on the day ?

huskerdu wrote: »
    Is the RTE race on Saturday still €15 to enter if I just show up and register on the day ?

Yep

15 euro for just this race, or 15 euro to join and then 10 for the race

RayCun wrote: »
    Yep

15 euro for just this race, or 15 euro to join and then 10 for the race

Thanks, Ray, hope to see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Have registered for BHAA membership for first time this year and really looking forward to first race at RTE on Saturday. Is there plenty of parking available or should I get there early. Don't know the RTE campus well at all.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Have registered for BHAA membership for first time this year and really looking forward to first race at RTE on Saturday. Is there plenty of parking available or should I get there early. Don't know the RTE campus well at all.

This post was send a few days ago.

On Saturday May 5th at 11.00, five hundred plus people will race around the RTE Donnybrook Complex and it has nothing to do with radio or television. It’s the annual RTE/Business Houses Athletic Association 5 mile race. Prizes will be presented by a personality with tickets for the “Late Late Show” among the many spot prizes on offer . This event has won the BHAA race of the year a record three times. All runners, from hares to tortoises are welcome with an entrance fee of a tenner for BHAA members and €15 for all others. Last year, the winner Vinny Mulvey, finished just under 25 minutes while the clock stopped for the final runner, almost half an hour later.
    There are individual prizes for the first three women and men home plus for the first three in each of the age categories together with team awards. Showers and refreshments are available post-race in the RTE Sports and Social Club with parking available to all. All details, photos of the action and a video will be available shortly after on bhaa.ie. Contact Niall Mathews on 01 2082591 or mathewn@rte.ie for further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

huskerdu wrote: »
    This post was send a few days ago.

On Saturday May 5th at 11.00, five hundred plus people will race around the RTE Donnybrook Complex and it has nothing to do with radio or television. It’s the annual RTE/Business Houses Athletic Association 5 mile race. Prizes will be presented by a personality with tickets for the “Late Late Show” among the many spot prizes on offer . This event has won the BHAA race of the year a record three times. All runners, from hares to tortoises are welcome with an entrance fee of a tenner for BHAA members and €15 for all others. Last year, the winner Vinny Mulvey, finished just under 25 minutes while the clock stopped for the final runner, almost half an hour later.
    There are individual prizes for the first three women and men home plus for the first three in each of the age categories together with team awards. Showers and refreshments are available post-race in the RTE Sports and Social Club with parking available to all. All details, photos of the action and a video will be available shortly after on bhaa.ie. Contact Niall Mathews on 01 2082591 or mathewn@rte.ie for further details.
    Considering doing this, have never done a BHAA race before either. I can't find any details of where the registration is, anybody know?

The Sports and Social Club in the RTE complex.
    There's a map of the route on the BHAA page
    bhaa_rte_course.png
    and the sports and social club is one of the buildings on the far left, just inside the course loop.

sideswipe wrote: »
    Considering doing this, have never done a BHAA race before either. I can't find any details of where the registration is, anybody know?

RTE Sport and Social club. I have never been in RTE but I reckon I can find it on the day,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

sideswipe wrote: »

Everything is usually very well organised with signs pointing out the correct directions.

• Advertisement

HI;

You be grand, its easy to find your way around. If u see a car spot saying Marty Whelan, just park in it :)

Seriously jsut take the entrance on Nutley Lane and i think you go to left of the building and follow the road around and u be sorted. There be plenty of yellow signs around.

HI;

You be grand, its easy to find your way around. If u see a car spot saying Marty Whelan, just park in it :)

Seriously jsut take the entrance on Nutley Lane and i think you go to left of the building and follow the road around and u be sorted. There be plenty of yellow signs around.

Too right, stay left after the security hut, loop around the complex, the Sports & Social club is at the rear, there is lots of parking & signage all the way there. Enjoy. :)

Don't forget vehicles with BHAA window stickers can park most anywhere!

Thanks all, by weird twist of fate it turns out I have to call into Radio Centre in RTE for an interview tonight! Guess I can check it out then. Just hope the legs can hold up, still a bit tender from the 10k last sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Are BHAA races chip timed?
    Is the RTE race accurate in length?
    Why do I hear shouting at the finish ' hold your positions in the chute'?

If i sign up using the Irish Life name, how will me being 10mins slower than my workmates affect the company position / ratings. Should I just sign up as an individual? So I dont ruin their rep?

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Are BHAA races chip timed?
    Is the RTE race accurate in length?
    Why do I hear shouting at the finish ' hold your positions in the chute'?

If i sign up using the Irish Life name, how will me being 10mins slower than my workmates affect the company position / ratings. Should I just sign up as an individual? So I dont ruin their rep?

There's a chip timing mat at the finish (not the start). That should give everyone an accurate finish time, but there might be a manual backup which is why they'd want people to hold their positions.
    Team ratings are usually based on the fastest 3/4, not an average of all runners in the team, so you shouldn't hurt your team by running. On the contrary, if there aren't many other runners from Irish Life you could be the one who makes up a full team, and eligible for a team prize. But check at registration, I don't run for a team myself, I could be wrong...

A lot of firsts for me today- first 5 mile race, first BHAA race and first post race puke:o

34:24 so happy enough with that, was retching and struggling to hold onto breakfast on the home straight, not a pleasant experience. Not sure if I'll ever be a fan of shorter races, my head is always battling with me to slow down or walk, nearly threw in the towel after 2 laps today so happy to have toughed it out. Doing this as a tune up for Cork marathon so hopefully the experience stands to me then- definitely won't be having bagel and orange juice as a pre-race meal again!

Have to say the organisation and value for money were fantastic, well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

All I can say is WOW.

Im new to running , starting off a year ago running 5 mile in 56mins, eventually broke the 40min barrier today by 3secs on my Garmin.

This race was brilliant for a number of reasons:-
    Very fast registration
    Friendly people everywhere
    Amazing Value - how they break even i do not know
    Singing Class🎀
    Grub afterwards
    Support was like nothing i had experienced at other races

McCoys pint to top it all off😄

Great race as always from the BHAA today, very well organised, and a lovely day for it too.
    The only black mark is the turn from Ailesbury Road into the RTE complex. It's a very wide corner, that nearly everyone seems to cut. It would be good to have it taped off or stewarded to keep people on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

ya agree with everyone, super race, so well organized from parking to registration and the delightful refreshments afterwards! lovely course and PB of 31.27 to boot, spice world! didn't get to see Bella coming out of McCoys though

Advertisement