Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering project, leaving cert 2012

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ghilliemaster

For the lads that are far behind dont worry i was the same but once you put your head down you'll fly ive the chasis,steering mech,motor mounts done all you need is to throw a seat and mud guards on it...! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Where does it say that you have to have suspension??
    This^^?
    Why would people go to the bother of putting suspension if it isnt even a requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Show off your technical abilities I suppose. And if there's 5 people in my class making good projects with suspension and me making a good project without one there's a good chance I might lose out on marks by comparison. I know examiners aren't meant to do that but it could be worth a couple of marks, especially when you consider they'll be viewing everyone's one after the other in your school.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lausie93

It doesn't say that you have to have suspension but i was just considering it due to the fact its supposed to be on the moon and the moons all rough and bumpy. Doesn't even matter now because i'm not doing that anymore! Got a lot done this week in school, steering mechanisms sorted, body, chair and central control panel done. Just have to make wheels and wire everything up now, hopefully it'll all come together in time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Sean.

Lausie93 wrote: »
    It doesn't say that you have to have suspension but i was just considering it due to the fact its supposed to be on the moon and the moons all rough and bumpy. Doesn't even matter now because i'm not doing that anymore! Got a lot done this week in school, steering mechanisms sorted, body, chair and central control panel done. Just have to make wheels and wire everything up now, hopefully it'll all come together in time!

Were you guys in school this week? I've been off since last Friday :P

• Advertisement

@Sean well we're off all this week and the week we come back our maths teacher said he was making us brownies!U mad jelly bro?:cool:

Ah no, engineering! One week left, hopefully will get it finished. Can't believe portfolio is only worth 6 percent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Lausie93 wrote: »
    @Sean well we're off all this week and the week we come back our maths teacher said he was making us brownies!U mad jelly bro?:cool:

Ah no, engineering! One week left, hopefully will get it finished. Can't believe portfolio is only worth 6 percent!!
    It's 12.5%, isn't it?

The whole project is 12.5 but the porfolio alone is 6 im pretty sure? Could be mistaken!

Nope, it's

Theory 50%
    Practical Exam 25%
    Project piece 12.5%
    Project portfolio 12.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Hi there,

As a past engineering student this looks like an interesting project brief, much better than the compressor project brief, I got back in 2002-2003. Loved Engineering though but spent far too much time on my project looking back.

I remember the power system failed on my model compressor the day it was brought into the examination room, couldnt do nothing then, but it was my fault as I wired it up in a rush.

Make sure you work to a schedule before completing project and leave a few days free in the end to add the finishing touches to project.

Best of Luck to everyone here doing the project..

• Advertisement

Nope, it's

Theory 50%
    Practical Exam 25%
    Project piece 12.5%
    Project portfolio 12.5%

Both of you are wrong :P Entire project is 25% but portfolio alone is 6.25%. Ironically, I spent a lot more time working on my Engineering portfolio (6.25%), than on my DCG portfolio (40%).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Isn't it different weightings for HL and OL?

spurious wrote: »
    Isn't it different weightings for HL and OL?

I honestly don't know. I presume they're the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Iony94

How many pages do your briefs have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭celtic10000

Theory = 50%
    Practical exam = 25%
    Project = 17.5%
    Portfolio = 7.5%

THATS it lads!!

Hmm looking back on my exam papers from last year I may have made a slight mistake :p

Theory paper - 300 Marks - 50%
    Practical exam - 150 marks - 25%
    Project - 100 Marks - 16.67%
    Portfolio - 50 Marks - 8.33%

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭celtic10000

Theory - 300 marks - 50%
    Project - 110 marks - 18.3%
    Portfolio - 40 marks - 6.7%

Im pretty positive thats it but someone correct me if thats wrong haha !! :)

Iony94 wrote: »
    How many pages do your briefs have ?
    30 A4
    Theory - 300 marks - 50%
    Project - 110 marks - 18.3%
    Portfolio - 40 marks - 6.7%

Im pretty positive thats it but someone correct me if thats wrong haha !! :)
    Yeah, that sounds right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Ordinary Level paper is 200 marks.
    As I said in the other thread, I think the weighting is different for the two levels.

Soo... one more week :D Are youse going to finish it ? ( I'm left with the electrical part ... )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Still a few bits and bobs to do, polishing it up and then wiring.. There'll be a few skipped classes and a few long evenings, I've no doubt!

So , is everyone happy with the outcome ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ThatGuy93

Hi lads,

Just doing the folio at the minute and was wondering in the portfolio when you give your 3 possible solutions, can one of these 3 be the solution you actually chose?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

ThatGuy93 wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Just doing the folio at the minute and was wondering in the portfolio when you give your 3 possible solutions, can one of these 3 be the solution you actually chose?

Thanks

Isn't it supposed to be done almost 2 weeks ago? But yeah you could use use one as the final solution or go on to develop the design further

ThatGuy93 wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Thanks

Drawing up 3 possible solutions to a project that's already built? How demeaning. :rolleyes:

Anyway to answer your question: Yeh write about aspects of your chosen design in the investigation section. It shows the examiner your thought process, or should I say, fools the examiner into thinking you had one :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ThatGuy93

Thanks for the help lads

Advertisement