Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pink 'Ladies' GAA Jerseys-Why?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Just looking back at my last point. I think the word 'vain' was a bit harsh, and I aplogise If I caused offence.
    Given that its ladies GAA jersies, I'm going to jump right in, given where I stand with GAA. I don't see it as a slight on females sport at all, given that these jersies are targeted at female supporters of the males representing the counties. All the jersies are pink version of the male jersies. Some women are conscious of how they look, and would prefer to wear pink. I've seen a lot of younger girls wearing these jersies around the place.

You see this is where I have a bit of an issue with these tops. Women are evidently wearing them to look good, which is fair enough. I ,like you, have seen a lot of young girls wearing these tops, and personally I think that sends out the wrong message to young kids. When it comes to sport it shouldn't matter what women or girls look like. .
    There is a lot of talk about women being put off sport because they are worried about their appearance (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18747137 ) I think the pink tops really just buys into this whole notion of women placing their apperance over their participation and inclusion in sport.

Your quote about how you love the GAA because women players are treated with respect baffles me - can I ask what county you are referring to or is it in general? I'm involved with ladies football for the past ten years at this stage, and in the administration side of things for about 4/5 years, and I can tell you that its not the case from what I can see, and the disrespect is coming from within the GAA. The one club model that the GAA are promoting won't make any difference to the grass roots members - trying to get pitches for training and games, ladies clubs having to pay the mens club for the use of facilities, mens teams taking precedence over ladies teams no matter what. This has been my experience in general, but there are a number of clubs where the person in the ladies football club is also involved in the mens, which makes things easier

If the GAA respected the ladies organisation, then why do the Ladies Gaelic Football Association have to pay to use Croke Park on All Ireland final day??? I'd take more issue in all counties, male and female not supporting the ladies teams in general than O Neills releasing a pink jersey for supporters to wear. I was at a Munster final, if there was more than 600 at it, I'd be surprised - a provincial final that had senior and intermediate teams playing. It just so happened that Waterford were in the intermediate, and the senior hurlers were playing the following day, Cork hurlers were playing that evening in Thurles I think. In fact, I met a number of supporters who if they did not have a bus booked to the ladies game, would have gone to the hurling.

Well that is just terrible. I was completely unaware that the Ladies GFA have to pay to use Croke Park on Final day!It is a disgrace, would there be a possibility of launching a campaign around that?

Was at Thurles on Sunday, and every second women seemed to be wearing these pink tops. It doesn't matter if they have the county crest on, you still can't see what county they're supporting until your right up close to them. Just defeats the point of wearing a county top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭ceegee

panda100 wrote: »
    Just looking back at my last point. I think the word 'vain' was a bit harsh, and I aplogise If I caused offence.
    Given that its ladies GAA jersies, I'm going to jump right in, given where I stand with GAA. I don't see it as a slight on females sport at all, given that these jersies are targeted at female supporters of the males representing the counties. All the jersies are pink version of the male jersies. Some women are conscious of how they look, and would prefer to wear pink. I've seen a lot of younger girls wearing these jersies around the place.

You see this is where I have a bit of an issue with these tops. Women are evidently wearing them to look good, which is fair enough. I ,like you, have seen a lot of young girls wearing these tops, and personally I think that sends out the wrong message to young kids. When it comes to sport it shouldn't matter what women or girls look like. .
    There is a lot of talk about women being put off sport because they are worried about their appearance (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18747137 ) I think the pink tops really just buys into this whole notion of women placing their apperance over their participation and inclusion in sport.

Your quote about how you love the GAA because women players are treated with respect baffles me - can I ask what county you are referring to or is it in general? I'm involved with ladies football for the past ten years at this stage, and in the administration side of things for about 4/5 years, and I can tell you that its not the case from what I can see, and the disrespect is coming from within the GAA. The one club model that the GAA are promoting won't make any difference to the grass roots members - trying to get pitches for training and games, ladies clubs having to pay the mens club for the use of facilities, mens teams taking precedence over ladies teams no matter what. This has been my experience in general, but there are a number of clubs where the person in the ladies football club is also involved in the mens, which makes things easier

If the GAA respected the ladies organisation, then why do the Ladies Gaelic Football Association have to pay to use Croke Park on All Ireland final day??? I'd take more issue in all counties, male and female not supporting the ladies teams in general than O Neills releasing a pink jersey for supporters to wear. I was at a Munster final, if there was more than 600 at it, I'd be surprised - a provincial final that had senior and intermediate teams playing. It just so happened that Waterford were in the intermediate, and the senior hurlers were playing the following day, Cork hurlers were playing that evening in Thurles I think. In fact, I met a number of supporters who if they did not have a bus booked to the ladies game, would have gone to the hurling.

Well that is just terrible. I was completely unaware that the Ladies GFA have to pay to use Croke Park on Final day!It is a disgrace, would there be a possibility of launching a campaign around that?

Was at Thurles on Sunday, and every second women seemed to be wearing these pink tops. It doesn't matter if they have the county crest on, you still can't see what county they're supporting until your right up close to them. Just defeats the point of wearing a county top.

Why shouldn't the GAA charge for the use of Croke Park by another association?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭ceegee

deise_girl wrote: »
    Saw an ad in the paper for the Waterford pink jersies and for every sale a contribution is going to Breast cancer research. Altho its Azzuri who make our jersies id assume O Neills are doing the same?

Pretty sure the ONeills ones aren't, no mention on the site or ribbon logo on the shirts

ceegee wrote: »
    Why shouldn't the GAA charge for the use of Croke Park by another association?

Why isn't the LGFA apart of the GAA?

I know the LGFA is a seperate entity to the GAA,but still you'd think the GAA would allow the use of Croke Park free of charge for the Ladies final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I'll be sticking to my blue ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

ceegee wrote: »
    Pretty sure the ONeills ones aren't, no mention on the site or ribbon logo on the shirts

Strange one that, would have thought they'd want to do the same as Azzuri. Athough I think its the bare minimum contribution that theyre making..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I know the LGFA is a seperate entity to the GAA,but still you'd think the GAA would allow the use of Croke Park free of charge for the Ladies final.

I'd imagine it's because the crowd isn't large enough for the GAA to break even (Croke Park needs well over 30,000 to cover costs) so they're trying to share the losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

I purchased the pink Dublin jersey as I was under the impression the proceeds went to Breast Cancer Ireland.

I paid 60euro for it, its comfortable, ok its pink, but I don't really care. It is comfortable.

I wear it on occasion. Wouldn't wear it on the Hill, but would wear it when going for a jog,a swim, or when getting the groceries in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chimpokomon

IrishAm wrote: »
    I purchased the pink Dublin jersey as I was under the impression the proceeds went to Breast Cancer Ireland.

I paid 60euro for it, its comfortable, ok its pink, but I don't really care. It is comfortable.

I wear it on occasion. Wouldn't wear it on the Hill, but would wear it when going for a jog,a swim, or when getting the groceries in.

Fair play to you, I haven't seen many blokes wearing them yet but I'd say it could catch on.

I actually didn't know they existed before this thread, thanks OP :p

A few young Dubs had them on in the Hill for the Me*th and Laois games. Brave buachails.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Men can wear pink too.

Maybe all these people are supporting Wexford Youths. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

I would never put a gaa jersey on my back. I think they are ridiculous looking enough on men and doubly so on women. Can't figure why any guy would think it's cool to wear a gaa jersey out for the night / on holidays / in Australia or basically anywhere other than on a pitch.

Ellsbells wrote: »
    I would never put a gaa jersey on my back. I think they are ridiculous looking enough on men and doubly so on women. Can't figure why any guy would think it's cool to wear a gaa jersey out for the night / on holidays / in Australia or basically anywhere other than on a pitch.

I guess it a litte reminder of home when you're away in a foreign country. It's also very handy for spotting the other Irish people when you're abroad.

I find my Limerick GAA top very uncomfortbale to wear. It get's very sweaty , and I would never ever use it for exercising in. The fabric clings to you, and in a sweaty, clammy horrible way. I am suprised that people are buying these pink tops for 'comfort', as for me GAA tops are anything but comfortable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I don't own any GAA jerseys, simply because the Limerick jersey is just unflattering on me.

If I were to buy/wear GAA jerseys, I'd be wearing my county colours, because it's the colours that I've always grown up using to distinguish between counties. It's hard to zone in on a crest on someone's jersey, you can spot the county a mile away when wearing county colours.

I also hate pink, and it looks terrible on me 'cause I've bright red hair :)

However, I have no problem with people wearing these jerseys, male or female. So what if they want to wear them? Isn't it their support for their team that counts? I just personally wouldn't wear them myself.

The GAA have been heavily involved with some great charitable organisations so I am kinda disappointed that they didn't involve Breast Cancer Ireland in this new age pink jersey phenomenon. Advertise it, market it well, give the charity a small cut per jersey sold and it would have really hit off.

They have dropped the ball big time here. When the Dubs wore the SOS jersey in the league, we could not buy that jersey. And dozens of Dublin fans that I know wanted to. As its a serious issue here and a great charitable organisation.

Probably Vodafone acting the bollix again. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carbob

I know the ladies GAA team in Kildare are actually pink so I wound not mind wearing them to any of the matches (my Jersey is just the white Kildare shirt) I did buy a pink one for my one year old daughter she was very cute in it if I may say so myself :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's progress compared to this supposed 1965 letter from the Irish Independent:eek:

A1TEWE3CIAAAO7l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

dfx- wrote: »
    It's progress compared to this supposed 1965 letter from the Irish Independent:eek:

A1TEWE3CIAAAO7l.jpg

I love the way he didn't have the balls to put his full name to his letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

The pink jerseys are for breast cancer action, mind you, 1 miserable euro contribution from every jersey doesn't seem like much to me, considering a ladies jersey retails at 50 euro...

see:http://www.azzurri.ie/Product-Detail/364/2012-Donegal-Ladies-Jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

shuffle65 wrote: »
    The pink jerseys are for breast cancer action, mind you, 1 miserable euro contribution from every jersey doesn't seem like much to me, considering a ladies jersey retails at 50 euro...

see:http://www.azzurri.ie/Product-Detail/364/2012-Donegal-Ladies-Jersey

Sounds like it is just Azurri that are doing this, don't see any mention of it with any of the O'Neills jerseys, but I'm open to correction on that. From what I can tell from their website, Azurri produce the jerseys for Sligo, Donegal, Laois, New York and Waterford while O'Neills produce the rest of the counties.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »

A1TEWE3CIAAAO7l.jpg

'A womens place is in the kitchen with scrubbing brush and washboard' I lol'ed at that bit. I actually don't know whether to laugh or cry at that letter.

The fact that tet letter was written not that long ago, and was actually published, shows how far womens sport has come in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Its raising money for a good cause

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Ellsbells wrote: »
    Its called personal choice and freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭WhyGoBald

'A womens place is in the kitchen with scrubbing brush and washboard' I lol'ed at that bit. I actually don't know whether to laugh or cry at that letter.

The fact that tet letter was written not that long ago, and was actually published, shows how far womens sport has come in the last few years.

Ah, that battle has been raging for a while. I read a newspaper from over a hundred years ago which subtly made fun of the Bishop of Kildare who fulminated about women travelling to play camogie on a Sunday. This was in response to Patrick Pearse, who was rhapsodising about the cailíní gracefully wielding their camáns.

As for the topic, I can only clutch my camogie county jersey and say - why pink? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

WhyGoBald wrote: »
    Ah, that battle has been raging for a while. I read a newspaper from over a hundred years ago which subtly made fun of the Bishop of Kildare who fulminated about women travelling to play camogie on a Sunday. This was in response to Patrick Pearse, who was rhapsodising about the cailíní gracefully wielding their camáns.

As for the topic, I can only clutch my camogie county jersey and say - why pink? Why?
    Because pink sells.

Manufacturers saw a gap in the market and took a punt on it.

Judging by the amount of pink jerseys about, their gamble seems to be paying off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Some women simply like pink and as the poster above pointed out, that's reflected in the profit margins.

Why are people so reactionary about something so innocuous as pink GAA jerseys?

Advertisement