Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

being dragged out of bed dreams?

• 20-02-2007 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

ok just reading a post that mentioned sleep paralysis and it got me thinking about a series of evernts that happened to my family about 20/25 years ago.
    around the time i was born my ma started having these nightmares that there was lights outside her window, really bright flashing ones and voices calling her then a few months after i was born (around '83) she started having these nightmares that she was being dragged out of bed by unseen hands and thrown around the room, lifted up high and swung around the room. now she could never wake my dad when this was happening just like sleep paralysis. now this was pit down to her having nightmares becuase her body was whatever after having the baby that was until one night she had the dream and in it she pushed herself off one of the walls over by the door the next day there was a very distinct foot print on the wall above the door which was well reakky . anyways they started to die down after a bit until one night my ma awoke to find my da slamming himslef against the wall screaming "i got one of ya ya little bastards i got ya!" now wheter he was having a dream bout killing one of me or my siblings we dont knwo:p but he never called her a lier again.

the story goes on though (sorry) tunrs out my mas sister and brother had simular experiences of being dragged out of their bodies but the could see theire sleeping body below, more like an out of body experience.
    weird huh?

i had nightmares for awhile once about being attacted as i got out of bed by a shadowy figure that held me down and spun me round the ground but they where definte dreams.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 POLO9N

this sound weird, have u's tried any spiritual doctors/ medium that can help you..sounded like a spirit as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

sounds a bit crazy alrite nicolo. that would freak me out alrite.
    could ya imagine wakin up to your da screamin and throwin himself around the room. sounds like they are all connected in a way.
    that footprint on the wall as well, :eek:
    its hardly likely to be someone messin around really is it

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

na the thing is me dads an incredibly light sleeper, a fly farting would normally wake him up so the whole him not waking up if my ma was making noise is weird, it all died down within the year, my mother was pretty heavily into the kabbalah at the time and transendental meditation and the occult so that might have had something to do with it. nothing since then cept my dreams but still spooky huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lillysilverie

the same kind of thing has been happening with my friend, she has been having like night terrors where she feels like she has been getting dragged out of bed, and when she wakes in the morning she will be on the floor, or half hanging off the bed. she has also told me of getting weird sensations, like one minute she will be really happy watching tv and then all of a sudden she gets a rage that over takes her. because of this she cannot sleep in her room anymore. her mum has also been having weird experiences, i.e she will go to bed and all of the doors and blind will be closed, but when she gets up to go to the bathroom or something all of the doors and blinds and windows, even the front door (which i add was securely bolted shut) would be wide open. she has had experiences of a shoe box vibrating along the floor and the lid flying off. both of them have described a feeling where someone is 'right up in the face' as if they where looking them eye to eye, which causes them to feel as if the breath to be taken away and they find it hard to breath.

do you have any theory's on what this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

the same kind of thing has been happening with my friend, she has been having like night terrors where she feels like she has been getting dragged out of bed, and when she wakes in the morning she will be on the floor, or half hanging off the bed. she has also told me of getting weird sensations, like one minute she will be really happy watching tv and then all of a sudden she gets a rage that over takes her. because of this she cannot sleep in her room anymore. her mum has also been having weird experiences, i.e she will go to bed and all of the doors and blind will be closed, but when she gets up to go to the bathroom or something all of the doors and blinds and windows, even the front door (which i add was securely bolted shut) would be wide open. she has had experiences of a shoe box vibrating along the floor and the lid flying off. both of them have described a feeling where someone is 'right up in the face' as if they where looking them eye to eye, which causes them to feel as if the breath to be taken away and they find it hard to breath.

do you have any theory's on what this is?

:eek: If that was my house, I would be making alternative living arrangements! Did they ever try setting up some cameras?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Just out of curiosity, have you or anyone that's experienced these events ever noticed any marks, scars or burns on your skin or clothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Is there any history of anything else unusual happening in the house?

I experience those type of dreams every so often but as far as I am aware I have never actually moved physically (then again I was asleep so how would I know).

The strange this is, I tend to keep track of my dreams and try to understand or make sense of them. The last time I had one of those dreams, I actually had a happy ending, now normally I'd equate that particular type of dream with not having a lot of control over what is happening with my life but this time I'd made some recent positive changes!!

Whats the link to scars & burns??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Do you come from a religious family OP?
    Does the house have a history prior to you living there?
    Does anything else strange happen in the house? E.g. photos/family pictures falling off the wall or facing different ways than the way they were originally place?

Hold off on getting a medium into your house just yet. It could make things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭skepticalone

this is interesting , my son , who is ten years old , has had similar occurances , which i figure were out of body experiences , except with a twist , he actually wakes up whilst having them and comes to my room , this has been happening since he was about 4 years old , he describes it as being bounced off the walls , and seeing things in extreme close up while he is floating , he usually asks me to make it stop , and i soothe him until he calms down , he also says that sounds are booming and that everything is magnified and amplified .So far, he has not reported anyone else involved , but i find it rather interesting that this has been happening him for the last 6 or so years.

I feel it is causing him no harm and he no longer gets distressed over it which is good , I am very interested none the less , its difficult to discount the testimony of a young child , young enough when this started to be unable to lie ,although I am not suggesting the o p is going through the same thing , i do think there is some similar characteristic to the event.I have read extensively on lucid dreaming and related subjects , out of interest in helping my child to overcome this , and to try and establish if there are any triggers which can be attributed to the instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Interesting, I used to get similiar sensations of things being amplified, it was generally when I'd be in bed at night trying to go asleep. Very hard to describe, but I'd be looking at the curtains and they'd seem massive, spatially I'd be aware that I was the usual distance away from them and logic would tell me they should be the normal size but they would appear to be massive. If I tried to look at something else, it'd be the same, easiest thing I can think of to describe is that giants house in Alton Towers.
    As for out of body experiences I had one or two when growing up, but they haven't happened in years, admittedly they may have been dreams but didn't feel like that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 thebadmonkey

Used to have same dreams when younger. Dreams that I was hovering over the bed, moving around. I suffered (and still do) from sleep paralysis though so Ive just put it down to that. Sleep paralysis (including feeling of being touched, hearing voices getting closer and closer) is heriditary. Happens quite a few of my family. We all were too ashamed to say anything so none of us knew until it happened my gran and she mentioned it (poor woman was in bits)...next thing you could see sheepish looks as four or five of us admitted undergoing something similiar...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Ziycon wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, have you or anyone that's experienced these events ever noticed any marks, scars or burns on your skin or clothing?

Abduction? Was thinking it could be a possibility myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeird. havent been on boards in yonks and I come on to find that a thread i started 3 years ago is active again hahaha. eh to answer a few questions here no were not a religious family at all, no marks on the body and I don't live there anymore. my parents do and while theres the odd occasion of an unusual scent or a bump in teh night there hasn't been anything lately. however from the 80s ( when we moved in) to the mid 90s the house had quite a few hauntings. most of them focused around the downstairs bedroom where my brother first of all slept.
    one night he awoke to see an aparition floating beside his bed of an old woman, he turned around and started out the window for an hour or so terrified and when he turned around it was still there so he just turned around and kept staring out the window till he heard my da come down the next day, he said he was rooted to the bed as the spirit was between him and the door. could have been a really bad nightmare but he didn't seem to think so. coupled with this our elderly female neighbour died within a 3 day period of that one.
    for myself in that room I experienced horrible feelings of something in the room. unpleasant presences and such and once an odd scratching noise and some unusual shadows but i wasn't in the room long and I've quite an imagination. my sister however was in that room the longest and she experienced nothing but nice things like the smell of roses and once waking up to having the covers pulled up over her shoulders, she got so used to it she used to joke about it and say things like 'haunt me I don't care I've an exam in the morning' haha.
    like i said though no real activity of late though.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

just out of curiosity have any of you watched paranormal activity lately
    ...:p sounds alot like it.
    Must be scary though in the middle of the night waking up to something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭stepdoyle

had the exact same dream last night, horrible! kept telling myself its a dream but couldnt move or shout, stupid paralysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Wow OP thats mad! I experienced something very strange years ago that completely freaked me out. I posted it in the sleep and dreams forum and someone did suggest I posted here. I was sleeping at my parents house, house I grew up in. (Always been something strange about the house, sensations of not being alone, someone sitting on bed, covers being pulled off bed. My sister was brushing her teeth once and something shoved her in the back very hard as she stood at the sink:eek:). Anyway this night I'm sleeping over, must be at least ten years ago. I've just drifted off and suddenly I feel I'm being pulled up through my legs, and I'm spinning really, really fast, face up at ceiling level. Next thing it feels like I have thumped back down into the bed, my heart pounding and all dizzy:(. This happens a couple more times in a row, I can't control it and am absolutely petrified. I will never forget this, nothing like it has happened again thankfully. I actually don't think I have slept at my parents since, never told them about it. I often wondered was it something paranormal or something to do with the sleep process:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭stepdoyle

had a bizzare incident this morning. woke up around 6 and when i opened my eyes the walls in front of me were covered in green handwriting, said to myself it was a dream and looked around, the wall behind was fine and the writing stayed on the wall in front. closed my eyes and rubbed them but when i opened them the writing was still there but fading. at this stage i knew it wasnt a dream but i wasnt freaked as i knew it must be something to do with not being awake fully. went back to sleep and thankfully the writing wasnt there when i got up a bit later.
    just found it weird! anyone else ever have this happen??

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

ok i have experienced something too not quite the same tho, I sleep near the window and one morning I awoke suddenly thinking 'oh no not again, i not allowing it to happen', as I awoke I felt what I can only describe as suction on my back which faced the window.

In the past I have often woken to blood stain on my nightie, pillow and sheets. (no not obvious female stains). The ones on my nightie look like they have come from the head area as they have an obvious drip shape, which could only be made if I was standing or sitting up. I asked my husband if I was sleep walking but he said no. I do instantly check myself and I cannot find the source of the blood??????

Advertisement