Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

reusing empty plastic bottles?

• 21-02-2012 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

I keep hearing so many different stories on this subject!!
    is it really dangerous to re use a empty bottle of water?!
    i used to do this all the time i would wash out the bottle every time and reuse it as was handy to have water where ever i went! but was told that it was dangerous and shouldnt be refilled?! can anyone shed light on this?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you have a flimsy bottle it can crease if handled harshly and become microscopically damaged, you might see the edges turning white where they were once clear. Some say this damaged plastic can now leach out more chemicals in the water. Usually the still water bottles can be thin walled and are the ones to watch for, if you are concerned.

If you have a commercial water bottle which you bought empty it should be OK as it will not get these creases, and many brands of water or soft drinks will have decent strong bottles. Sometimes you can get really good ones with beer in off licences since in some countries they resuse the PET bottles, so they are extra strong.

Some do worry about a chemical, BPA, in some bottles though, nothing to do with reusing bottles. Baby bottles and some one use bottles could have this chemical.

Freezing bottles can cause the plastic to stretch and go a bit white in a similar way.

I am not saying any of the above is something to worry about, its just what I have heard before. I don't worry about it myself, I am sure I am ingesting far worse things! I would sooner drink tap water over bottled water too.

Bacteria is the bigger definite worry as many people do not bother properly washing & disinfecting water bottles as "they only had water in them".

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

rubadub wrote: »
    If you have a flimsy bottle it can crease if handled harshly and become microscopically damaged, you might see the edges turning white where they were once clear. Some say this damaged plastic can now leach out more chemicals in the water. Usually the still water bottles can be thin walled and are the ones to watch for, if you are concerned.

If you have a commercial water bottle which you bought empty it should be OK as it will not get these creases, and many brands of water or soft drinks will have decent strong bottles. Sometimes you can get really good ones with beer in off licences since in some countries they resuse the PET bottles, so they are extra strong.

Some do worry about a chemical, BPA, in some bottles though, nothing to do with reusing bottles. Baby bottles and some one use bottles could have this chemical.

Freezing bottles can cause the plastic to stretch and go a bit white in a similar way.

I am not saying any of the above is something to worry about, its just what I have heard before. I don't worry about it myself, I am sure I am ingesting far worse things! I would sooner drink tap water over bottled water too.

Bacteria is the bigger definite worry as many people do not bother properly washing & disinfecting water bottles as "they only had water in them".

oh god sounds awfull ive being re using mine for ages... :O and on back of volvic bottle water it says not to refill!!! might invest in the refillable one that designed for that type of thing! thanks! ya im sure there are worse things out there i havent heard of anyone dying from doing what i do as of yet!

Advertisement