Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are razor blades so bloody expensive ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zen15

lads , I bought a Thiers Issard straight razor and Dovo strop , about 2 years ago , after having a norwegian girlfriend with a shaving fetish, best thing i ever did , it will last longer than you and looks so damn sexy when shaving , women really go for it , Never have to buy blades again, also shaving soap and a mug ,
    Grand total spent on shaving last year was a tennor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

You spent a pavarotti on shaving gear cause your burd's got a fetish for it ?

Wierd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zen15

Picture the scene . in the bathroom , steamy mirror (oak floor and white walls with georgian ceiling) face soaped and girl kneeling by the sink wathchibg you shave and keeping your c*&k in her mouth .
    Better then the gillette add or wha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

The new King of Shaves razor, the Azor is the best I've ever used. Smooth shave and it bends around your face. Blades last a long while too and not too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Yeah, the King Of Shaves website used to sell Mach 3 razor blades before they introduced the Azor. If you chose to pay in dollars you could get 8 Mach 3 blades for under $9 inc shipping!

Plus they were legit blades - there are horror stories about Chinese fakes - be careful out there!

I'll definitely be giving the Azor a try - as soon as I run through the 50 Mach 3 blades first :D I shave every 2/3 days and find that a blade lasts over a month - is that unusual?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

turly wrote: »
    I shave every 2/3 days and find that a blade lasts over a month - is that unusual?

I'd be the same as yourself. About one blade a month.

I have both a mach 3 and a fusion. Lately am finding the blades for the mach 3 a bit pants. Don't get as good a shave from them as I used to.

Going to check out the King Of Shaves one. Are the blades for them widely available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

mick_irl wrote: »
    Going to check out the King Of Shaves one. Are the blades for them widely available?

Apparently not, only from their shave.com website. But it looks like they're reasonably good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

The Azor blades are on sale in Boots. Very good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

I was speaking to a friend about razor blades over Christmas. He was saying that solution is ceramic blades as they are very hard and rarely need to be sharpened, however he can't find anyone who makes them for razors because there's no money in it. Think about it, if you had a ceramic blade, it would be a blade for life, you wouldn't need to pop down to the shops for blades every week or so.

He was also saying that manufacturers design obsolescence into the regular razor blades so you have to buy more. He was saying whenever you cut a hair, you make a small dent in the blade, the dent gets bigger and the after two uses you're blade is uneven and you're cutting yourself.

Interesting stuff really.

Check this out:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2004/12/wip_top_five_pe_1.php

"Although it unfortunately has never made it to market, this Ross Lovegrove designed prototype is an eminently sound idea. It uses a ceramic blade, which at the time, was claimed to last 40 times longer carbon steel. It’s no pipe dream though - today you can buy ceramic razors for industrial use, that last 100 times longer. If only someone had the balls to make such a razor that didn't go blunt!"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just get it permanently removed with laser treatment, think it might grow back a bit again, but you can probably get home kits now. If you add up what you would pay otherwise, and all the time spent shaving each day it probably would save you a fortune.

I sometimes just give my self a "blade zero" with my normal electric hair razor. Just gives you a little stubble but is really quick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Pack of 5 disposable gillette razor blades cost betwen £ 1.35 / 49 in most stores and I get 3 shaves from each .3 shaves a week for 5 weeks ,not bad value imo and not as expensive as the other barnds of razor .

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Lets get a campign going. "Get yourslf a beard" save on blades:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Would love to have the Bruce willis look but I am more ' down and out ' after a 5 day growth

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

i'll join, stasrtedgrowing my beard just before christmas, keep it trimmed and shave my neck to help give it a "tidy" look. Getting lots of compliments!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

amacachi wrote: »
    Because some people will pay ridiculous prices for them.

Thats exactly it amacachi. Prices are so ridiculous for a lot of things in this country because some people are stupid enough to pay them.

Then you think your smart when you hear 'two packets of mach three blades for a tenner' on Henry st and they end up being fake and cut the bleedin face off you. Oh what a great country we live in. All out to con us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Thats exactly it amacachi. Prices are so ridiculous for a lot of things in this country because some people are stupid enough to pay them.

Then you think your smart when you hear 'two packets of mach three blades for a tenner' on Henry st and they end up being fake and cut the bleedin face off you. Oh what a great country we live in. All out to con us.

Your post seems like it could be slightly subversive. Tell me more, have you MSN ?

Are you one of these consumer powah/you get what you pay for louts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Your post seems like it could be slightly subversive. Tell me more, have you MSN ?

Are you one of these consumer powah/you get what you pay for louts ?

I try to get value no matter what i buy, was caught with the blades on Henry street myself though. ****in hate findin out after i've been ripped off.

Have to be wathing everything.

One at the moment is English websites/shops in Dublin charging over the odds for stuff.

For example, looked at a game for a present on a certain website the other day. It was £22 which was converted into €38 by some amazing price inflation currency converter. But that wasn't the worst bit. The game even at its overpriced €38 is still a full €22 cheaper than it is to buy everywhere in Dublin.

This effectively means that the cnuts in Dublin put the maximum price they can get on these when they come in and actually get it for probably over a year before they even contemplate reducing it. This is because people will pay the ridiculous amount for it without thinking about it.

It will never happen but if shoppers thought along the same lines and said right €60 for that is too much and nobody bought it at said price. The seller wouldn't be long dropping the price in an effort to boost sales. Then other shops of the same nature would then have no choice but to drop the price of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

its cause there are only two decent manufacturers of blades out there - Gillette and Wilkenson Sword, not much competition out there really!

If by decent you mean expensive. True they are the only games in town for multiblade cartridges. However, double edge blades are made by Gillette, Wilknson Sword, Merkur, Feather and http://www.connaughtshaving.com/razorblades.html for a fraction of the price. Worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 danzig

the reason why is because like with most things in life, they are selling the actual razors at a loss, and the way they make up the difference is by charging the extras such as blades at a very high cost. its the same with consoles, they sell the console at a loss and charge through the roof for things like games and controllers.

often is the case that you can buy a new razor with spare blades for cheaper than a pack of blades!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

How long would one of those Merkur blades last?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Why would people use an electric? then they would have nothing to whinge about...seriously gillette and wilkinson are not the only two razor manafacturers. This is the whingiest thread in a long time.

baby soft and electric dont works

danzig wrote: »
    the reason why is because like with most things in life, they are selling the actual razors at a loss, and the way they make up the difference is by charging the extras such as blades at a very high cost. its the same with consoles, they sell the console at a loss and charge through the roof for things like games and controllers.

The so called Gillette Model is a staple of many courses in economics.

keane2097 wrote: »
    How long would one of those Merkur blades last?

Depending on how tough your beard is etc. 5 to 10 shaves. You should on average get a week out of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

The story about cermac blades made me smile, cut throats have been around for ages, but of course were impossible to make money off, as you just sharpened it every time it got blunt. Then bic and the rest discovered selling bits of foil that are only good for a few uses and made a fortune off people who dont like slicing there faces open or sharpening stuff.

I just use an electric myself, I`m more in the bumfluff end of things as opposed to fellas who have a thicket after a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

If you know somebody up north (yes, that cheap place) try out Makro cash & carry outside Belfast. Pack of 4 packs of Fusion - £15, pack of 5 packs of Mach3 - £16.

No comparison with the proces down here.

Good ol' Rip Off Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

as some people mentioned razor blades used to be the most popular thing to be stolen from supermarkets (most now are behind the till or have a security camera looking directly at them),i used to work in a big supermarket,they actually had a top ten list of the most common things being nicked and razor blades were at the top,
    and i think the price is a lot to do with (as already stated above) the profit margins they make on the actual razor compared with the profit on the blades! they have to make money somewhere:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

buy them in bulk on ebay.. !!

thats what i do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

its a ****n joke the prices of gillette fusions 17euro for 4 blades!!!

i have very sensitve skin and if i use cheap razors me mush goes all red & hot so me needs to buy gillette fusions , im buying them in bulk from ebay so **** you rip off ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

jester77 wrote: »
    Why not get a decent razor like a Merkur and pickup some Feather blades, you can get 50 blades for under £10 here and they will give you a better shave than any Gilette or Wilkinson blade will ever give you.
    Me DA used to us one of them. Are they really good? I like to try them, Can you buy the razor part easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Sounds like the job...

Any idea what the numbering system means or is it just model numbers

41, 39C etc..

Advertisement