Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

decisions wrote: »
    SAT's cool, where in the US are you aiming to study?

Currently looking at St. Andrews in Scotland.

Applying to MIT, Harvard, Yale, and I'm researching more places in Massachusetts at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

:eek: Bloody hell! Have ye anything left to do?!

We're focusing on reading and understanding the texts in 5th Year so we haven't done many essays for Paper Two - that's what 6th Year is for in my teacher's plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BoomSha

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Casablanca is on Film 4 today if any of ye are doing it as part of your comparative. :)

Thanks for the tip! Have it recorded for future reference now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

MegGustaa wrote: »
    Applying to MIT, Harvard, Yale, and I'm researching more places in Massachusetts at the moment :)

I wish I showed that much ambition. Love Massachusettes myself granted I've only been one on a school trip, but it is a gorgeous area.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Sooo, school tomorrow. 2 weeks weren't bad for me, got no homework so was grand :D Think I'm abit more up for the last few weeks school too, couple of weeks before I was getting so lazy and couldn't be assed really.

• Advertisement

Yeh, I think the two weeks have kinda got me focused on the fact that we only have a few weeks left of 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I've got 6 weeks until the Summer exams now so I plan on doing a fair bit of work for them, as I'm hoping to be in around the 500 point range when I add my results up, so I've got work to do! :D

*Stress*

decisions wrote: »
    *Stress*

Got about 3 hours of homework today and I've got important class exams next week to study for too! Argh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

having finished Wuthering Heights, can I just say that I absolutely despise it?

also, found this rather timely on the internet today:
    6qyR3.png

anyhow, anyone studying a book that isn't Wuthering Heights... be thankful

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

i actually found wuthering heights reasonably good, its better than any shakesperean texts i found

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Be happy you didn't do The Book Thief! Theres only 3 people in our class that actually like it, its so so bad.

as someone who considers The Book Thief to be one of the best books ever written... actually, yeah, I've said it all already

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Colm! wrote: »
    as someone who considers The Book Thief to be one of the best books ever written... actually, yeah, I've said it all already

Really?! Thats gas, and I love wuthering heights! Ugh, just the storyline felt like it took forever to actually get anywhere.

maybe the slow, drawn out study of any book with long, winding notes about literary genre can ruin any book... but I dunno. Wuthering Heights just tells the story of several people wasting their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Be happy you didn't do The Book Thief! Theres only 3 people in our class that actually like it, its so so bad.
    Woah! I adore that book too... Surprised that so few liked it. It is one of the most emotionally touching reads I've experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Glee_GG wrote: »
    Woah! I adore that book too... Surprised that so few liked it. It is one of the most emotionally touching reads I've experienced.
    Yeh I loved it too! I think whoever posted about studying a novel in so much detail can ruin it is right though. My teacher loves The Grass is Singing but I don't think anyone in our class does. I suppose she did give us like an essay a night to do on it to make sure we were reading it.. I swear the chapters were on average at least 25 pages long with very small writing. I love reading but I just really dislike it!
    I can't wait until the day I never have to study English again..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I loved Wuthering Heights when I read it a year ago. Now, with every chapter summary I do, I hate it more and more. Same thing happened with every other book I've ever studied in school.

I can't imagine ever growing to hate some books on the course e.g. The Book Thief, Never Let Me Go but I suppose stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bornablonde

Four weeks of 5th year left. Cant believe it! Anyone heading to Irish College during the summer?

Yeah buddy! Going to Coláiste Cúram for the fourth (and sadly, last) year. Only thing that'll keep me going this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 bornablonde

Cool! Going to Chorca Dhuibhne myself for the first time. Tad nervous to say the least. Should come in handy for the oral next year though. I hope!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

any of you lads do technology?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Lads.
    Now I know loads of yee are gonna tell me yee do basically nothing other than homework, and a load more are going to tell me "quality over quantity", but I really need/want to find some motivation to study.
    I think if I heard all your crazy amount of time spent studying it would scare me into doing more work(Nothing like a bit of stress to get the brain juices flowing)
    Heck, anything you're doing that yee find is keeping yee on top of it all? Studying a certain way, organising a certain way... doing anything!!

Your help is muchly appreciated :P
    Signed,
    Your future competition for Leaving Cert points.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Feel free to mail me with any questions, hoping I do well this year. Not stressed yet and well on target for med with my mocks, it is possible to do very well easily enough but it involves using some of the work Summer before 6th year. Also, will be giving away all my notes if ye want them in the West. Best of luck!

Feel free to mail me with any questions, hoping I do well this year. Not stressed yet and well on target for med with my mocks, it is possible to do very well easily enough but it involves using some of the work Summer before 6th year. Also, will be giving away all my notes if ye want them in the West. Best of luck!

What subjects do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

Switched off my phone, & 'deactivated' my Facebook until after the Leaving.. and I still can't focus enough and study.. Aha, and trying to learn essays on Soils while watching Hollyoaks is down right depressing! :(

Then again, there was a girl in my LC Geo class who tried to find USA on a Map of Europe today.. makes me feel a little better to know I'm not THAT bad at Geography! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ismisekatie

okay.. in fifth year and recently started using boards because my friend swears by it :L but... im starting to freak out about next year tbh!!! i guess this is the place to find people who feel the same, eh?

deise_girl wrote: »
    Lads.
    Now I know loads of yee are gonna tell me yee do basically nothing other than homework, and a load more are going to tell me "quality over quantity", but I really need/want to find some motivation to study.
    I think if I heard all your crazy amount of time spent studying it would scare me into doing more work(Nothing like a bit of stress to get the brain juices flowing)
    Heck, anything you're doing that yee find is keeping yee on top of it all? Studying a certain way, organising a certain way... doing anything!!

Signed,

Generally thinking about the orals next year or having a look at the HPAT thread scares me into doing a good few hours of studying. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

0mega wrote: »
    deise_girl wrote: »
    Lads.

Signed,

Generally thinking about the orals next year or having a look at the HPAT thread scares me into doing a good few hours of studying. :D

Get a picture of somthing u really want in the future a bugatti veyron?? A house by the sea?? Designer clothes?? Watever makes u tick and get a picture of dat dream house car lifestyle ect and look At it every day and say im gona get dat thing because im gonna study really hard and get to wer i wanna go in life and be the person i aspire ta be then the study will come easy never doubt urself dats the first and last step to failure

• Advertisement

tahina wrote: »
    Get a picture of somthing u really want in the future a bugatti veyron?? A house by the sea?? Designer clothes?? Watever makes u tick and get a picture of dat dream house car lifestyle ect and look At it every day and say im gona get dat thing because im gonna study really hard and get to wer i wanna go in life and be the person i aspire ta be then the study will come easy never doubt urself dats the first and last step to failure

Bill Cullen, is that you? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement